Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Glenda Farrell as SOTM November 2018

45 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Or it could be a group star, since there hasn't been one of those in the past year. More women might have been selected in the past because they had been friends of Osborne's (like Bette Davis, Olivia De Havilland, Lucille Ball, etc.). 

I think the October 'Funny Ladies' theme probably checks the 'group star' box, at least for discussion's sake.

2 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

I think the October 'Funny Ladies' theme probably checks the 'group star' box, at least for discussion's sake.

Yes, I suppose that's true. We know the December honoree will be a male actor, since both choices given to the Backlot members were men. So it will be interesting to see who is honored in November.

10 hours ago, Brrrcold said:

Think of a woman who was no fun at all, and you'd be on the right track.

Bea Arthur? 😎

• Haha 1

Looking at Barton's thread for last year's November honoree, I see he created that one on the 15th of August. So this year's November schedule is quite "late."

I just noticed the other thread here, listing previous Stars/Month. Because it is a single page, take your web browser and do a Control+F to enable the Find mode. Type in names until you find one that does not appear, and maybe you have a winner.

The loss of Burt Reynolds is a reminder no one lives forever. Stars who are still with us probably would appreciate the spotlight.

So far my request for Danny Kaye as star of the month eventually has been a hit.  So maybe the more posts we post.  Maybe we will get lucky for this November.

1 hour ago, David Guercio said:

So far my request for Danny Kaye as star of the month eventually has been a hit.  So maybe the more posts we post.  Maybe we will get lucky for this November.

I guess we can hope. It's probably something else, some rights issue that is holding up the schedule. They canceled the guest programmer for October and my guess is they moved his evening into November. But he picked some obscure Universal title which might be difficult to obtain. Of course, there could be a completely different reason for the delay. I'm only speculating.

I just edited the title of this thread since the November schedule is now up. Glenda Farrell is the honoree.

I will post the entire list of films TCM will be airing for this tribute. So check back!

Glenda Farrell is an enlighten choice for TCM.    Not at major star,  per se,  but with a fairly long and varied career.

Of course there is the Torchy Blane series.   Many comedy roles either as a lead or supporting character.

Then there are some supporting roles in some major productions like Johnny Eager and Talk of the Town,  where she isn't a comical character and then her over 40 work:  

Hopefully TCM shows Secert of the Incas,  the film that inspired Raiders of the Lost Ark.   

• Like 1

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 3.05.50 PM.jpg

5th of november
kissin' cousins (1964) with elvis presley
susan slept here (1954) with dick powell
apache war smoke (1952) with gilbert roland
heat lightning (1934) with aline macmahon
dark hazard (1934) with edward g. robinson
little caesar (1930) with edward g. robinson
i am a fugitive from a chain gang (1932) with paul muni
the mystery of the wax museum (1933) with lionel atwill
the secret bride (1935) with barbara stanwyck
the match king (1932) with warren william
the big shakedown (1934) with bette davis

12th of november
go into your dance (1935) with al jolson
life begins (1932) with loretta young
mary stevens m.d. (1933) with kay francis
johnny eager (1942) with robert taylor
hi nellie! (1934) with paul muni
smart blonde (1936) with barton maclane
the adventurous blonde (1937) with barton maclane
fly away baby (1937) with barton maclane
blondes at work (1938) with barton maclane
torchy blane in chinatown (1938) with barton maclane
torchy gets her man (1938) with barton maclane
torchy runs for mayor (1939) with barton maclane
here comes carter (1936) with ross alexander

19th of november
central airport (1933) with richard barthelmess
three on a match (1932) with bette davis
the keyhole (1933) with kay francis
snowed under (1936) with george brent
the law in her hands (1936) with margaret lindsay
havana widows (1933) with joan blondell
kansas city princess (1934) with joan blondell
miss pacific fleet (1935) with joan blondell
traveling saleslady (1935) with joan blondell
we're in the money (1935) with joan blondell
i've got your number (1934) with joan blondell
gold diggers of 1937 (1936) with joan blondell

26th of november
the personality kid (1934) with pat o'brien
in caliente (1935) with dolores del rio
girl missing (1933) with ben lyon
gold diggers of 1935 (1935) with dick powell
dance charlie dance (1937) with stuart erwin
lady for a day (1933) with may robson
breakfast for two (1937) with barbara stanwyck
bureau of missing persons (1933) with pat o'brien
little big shot (1935) with sybil jason
the merry wives of reno (1934) with guy kibbee
grand slam (1933) with loretta young
hollywood hotel (1937) with dick powell

• Thanks 1

Nice line-up of Farrell films but I'm surprised not one from after 1939.    I guess TCM wished to focus on her leading and secondary leading character performances.

The 19th should be fun since Farrell and Joan Blondell were a winning comedy team.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Nice line-up of Farrell films but I'm surprised not one from after 1939.    I guess TCM wished to focus on her leading and secondary leading character performances.

The 19th should be fun since Farrell and Joan Blondell were a winning comedy team.   

Some of her later films are being shown earlier in the day. I've added them to the previous post.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I just edited the title of this thread since the November schedule is now up. Glenda Farrell is the honoree.

I will post the entire list of films TCM will be airing for this tribute. So check back!

So I haven't lost my mind ... yet.

Someone on another thread complained Glenda Farrell is not a big enough star. And yeah, she was a second-tier star during the studio era, but it's nice to see her honored. And it's even nicer that B films are getting a bit of love by TCM's programming department in November.

The following is Ms. Farrell's full body of film work. Shorts and appearances on TV shows have been omitted, and she had lots of TV appearances. TV movies have been included. Source: imdb
She was quite the trooper. She had her first film appearance when she was 24 in 1928 and her last film appearance was in 1970, the year before she died.
TCM is doing pretty well by her. They are showing 48 of the 75 films in which she appeared.

1961 A String of Beads (TV Movie)

1959 The Bells of St. Mary's (TV Movie)

1948 Lulu Belle
 1948 Mary Lou
 1943 Klondike Kate
 1942 Twin Beds
 1941 Johnny Eager

1938 Exposed
 1938 Prison Break
 1938 Stolen Heaven
 1937 Fly Away Baby
 1937 Smart Blonde
 1936 High Tension
 1936 Nobody's Fool
 1936 Snowed Under
 1935 In Caliente
 1934 Dark Hazard
 1934 Hi, Nellie!
 1933 Man's Castle
 1933 Havana Widows
 1933 Lady for a Dayl
 1933 Gambling Ship
 1933 The Keyhole
 1933 Girl Missing
 1933 Grand Slam
 1932 Life Begins
 1931 Little Caesar

1928 Lucky Boy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, calvinnme said:
The following is Ms. Farrell's full body of film work. Shorts and appearances on TV shows have been omitted, and she had lots of TV appearances. TV movies have been included. Source: imdb
She was quite the trooper. She had her first film appearance when she was 24 in 1928 and her last film appearance was in 1970, the year before she died.

Thanks calvin. Any from that lengthy list you wish TCM would air?

27 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks calvin. Any from that lengthy list you wish TCM would air?

Absolutely! I've already complained about the first one. Universal's "Exposed" from 1938 is a great comedy/crime caper that is a real showcase for Glenda Farrell. However, what I've seen is a DVD made from an old AMC tape, so chances are Universal has done nothing with it, so I can't blame TCM. "Scandal for Sale" (1932) has Glenda as a spurned lover who bursts in on her lover and another woman and beats the woman to death with a hammer! Two reporters then pretend to be the police and take Farrell's character back to the paper to get the whole story. She does a good job in a small role as a crazed woman. Again, this is a Universal film. I really shouldn't be so hard on Universal since Paramount actually owns the rights to both of these films. "Girls in the Night" (1953) has Glenda in a supporting role in a film about the slums and a boy wrongly accused of killing a blind man. It's a very good film and a late career effort by Farrell. Again, this is a Universal property that has not been digitized to the best of my knowledge.

I'm glad she is star of the month.  I never saw her turn in a bad performance.

EDIT: Correction - Universal owns ALL of these films. It is Universal that owns their catalog and the 1929-1949 Paramount catalog, not the other way around..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, calvinnme said:

Absolutely! I've already complained about the first one. Universal's "Exposed" from 1938 is a great comedy/crime caper that is a real showcase for Glenda Farrell. However, what I've seen is a DVD made from an old AMC tape, so chances are Universal has done nothing with it, so I can't blame TCM. "Scandal for Sale" (1932) has Glenda as a spurned lover who bursts in on her lover and another woman and beats the woman to death with a hammer! Two reporters then pretend to be the police and take Farrell's character back to the paper to get the whole story. She does a good job in a small role as a crazed woman. Again, this is a Universal film. I really shouldn't be so hard on Universal since Paramount actually owns the rights to both of these films. "Girls in the Night" (1953) has Glenda in a supporting role in a film about the slums and a boy wrongly accused of killing a blind man. It's a very good film and a late career effort by Farrell. Again, this is a Universal property that has not been digitized to the best of my knowledge.

I'm glad she is star of the month.  I never saw her turn in a bad performance.

Interesting choices, calvin.

Looking at the list you provided...I'm partial to THE GIRL IN THE RED VELVET SWING. And I was a bit disappointed MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT was not chosen for November.

I've been curious about TWIN BEDS, a comedy from independent producer Edward Small since it stars Joan Bennett and George Brent and has an excellent supporting cast.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Interesting choices, calvin.

Looking at the list you provided...I'm partial to THE GIRL IN THE RED VELVET SWING. And I was a bit disappointed MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT was not chosen for November.

I've been curious about TWIN BEDS, a comedy from independent producer Edward Small since it stars Joan Bennett and George Brent and has an excellent supporting cast.

Interesting choices from you too. I will say one thing. Joan Collins is the central actress in "Girl in the Red Velvet Swing", and I generally can't stand Joan Collins. However, this film is pretty good because the film itself and the other players are strong enough that they can overcome the Collin-ness of it all.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, calvinnme said:

Interesting choices from you too. I will say one thing. Joan Collins is the central actress in "Girl in the Red Velvet Swing", and I generally can't stand Joan Collins. However, this film is pretty good because the film itself and the other players are strong enough that they can overcome the Collin-ness of it all.

I'm a Joan Collins fan. I'd forgotten that Glenda Farrell was in THE GIRL IN THE RED VELVET SWING. I don't think it's ever aired on TCM. But MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT has aired many times and I'm surprised they didn't include it as part of Farrell's tribute. She gives a good performance in it.

• Like 1