Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Site not secure?

11 posts in this topic

I've been getting that for quite some time. It first appeared at the sign-in menu when I was using Firefox. Now it appears on the menu bar  when I use Google Chrome. However, it does not appear anywhere if I use Internet Explorer ... but that browser is useless on this site.

34 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

I've been getting that for quite some time. It first appeared at the sign-in menu when I was using Firefox. Now it appears on the menu bar  when I use Google Chrome. However, it does not appear anywhere if I use Internet Explorer ... but that browser is useless on this site.

Thanks for chiming in. I am also using Google Chrome. I never noticed it until yesterday. Other sites I access with Chrome say Secure. But TCM's site does not. When I clicked for information it said 20 cookies were currently in use. So are we to assume that if TCM is using cookies (with information sold to a third party), that is why it's not secure?

41 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks for chiming in. I am also using Google Chrome. I never noticed it until yesterday. Other sites I access with Chrome say Secure. But TCM's site does not. When I clicked for information it said 20 cookies were currently in use. So are we to assume that if TCM is using cookies (with information sold to a third party), that is why it's not secure?

Not sure. Secure sites also use cookies. Maybe someone with more expertise will jump in.

48 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

Not sure. Secure sites also use cookies. Maybe someone with more expertise will jump in.

Thanks. That's what I thought. I post on Digital Spy forums about TV series I watch. Each time I log in there, I have to click "agree" that I am aware they use cookies. But their site is secure. So I wonder why TCM's is not.

I just started here a few days ago, and I too am very surprised that the site shows up as Not Secure.  That's something I'd expect from some overseas gaming site, not TCM.  (I am using Chrome.)  Somebody needs to fix this.

The screen shot I put in the original post was from my laptop.

This is the message I get on my desktop computer.

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 1.32.11 PM.png

Then if I click on that "i" with the circle around it, this pops up:

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 1.36.39 PM.jpg

Short answer:  end-to-end encryption costs extra

Somewhat longer answer: Providing end to end encryption makes sense for protection of people's personal details.  Such as online banking or shopping.  Since this is annonymous (for the most part) and doesn't involve the exchange of money...

My answer: This is a movie forum, where occasional movie talk is interspersed among revelers busting one gut-load of political diarrhea after another.  Would you pay good money to encrypt it?  http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

My answer: This is a movie forum, where occasional movie talk is interspersed among revelers busting one gut-load of political diarrhea after another.  Would you pay good money to encrypt it?  http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

I'd pay good money to get rid of the diarrhea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Many sites get reported as not secure. I too use Google Chrome. I toss my cookies everyday with CCleaner. About once a week, I delete everything in my browser's history. I am not worried about someone hacking my avatar. 🐱

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Hepburn Fan said:

Many sites get reported as not secure. I too use Google Chrome. I toss my cookies everyday with CCleaner. About once a week, I delete everything in my browser's history. I am not worried about someone hacking my avatar. 

I also delete the cookies on my computer(s) every day or two. Good idea for those who may not be doing so.