Sign in to follow this  
Zulu28

Casablanca not on schedule

8 posts in this topic

I searched for the next airing of this cult classic and received the message that it was not currently

:o scheduled to be shown on TCM. How can that be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not going to air every month if that's what you're expecting.

The November schedule has not been made available yet. Chances are it will be airing again before Christmas. Bogart's birthday is in December so it could turn up then.

Since you made your thread in this forum, can we assume you consider CASABLANCA to be a cult film?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, TopBilled's right. Casablanca is one of the most played films on TCM and will certainly be on again. Also I wouldn't really call it a "cult" film. It was a major successful film from day 1. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Yeah, TopBilled's right. Casablanca is one of the most played films on TCM and will certainly be on again. Also I wouldn't really call it a "cult" film. It was a major successful film from day 1. 

Thanks GF. Maybe the original poster will return to explain why he/she thinks CASABLANCA is a cult film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to presume to speak for anyone, but perhaps the OP meant that the film has many fanatic partisans. Inexplicably, I never took the opportunity to watch it as a younger man, though admittedly there were fewer chances before cable. I knew it only by it's reputation and by the enthusiasm some people expressed for it. My sister-in-law was/is a fanatic for the movie and has an entire collection of puzzles, trays, mugs, books, tee shirts, etc., to the point where it actually seemed to me that it WAS a cult film. When I finally made it a point to watch the movie for myself, I immediately became a fan, though one without all the merch. It could be the fact that the movie, like It's a Wonderful Life, has been so heavily merchandized that might make it seem like a cult movie. Just a guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, DougieB said:

I don't want to presume to speak for anyone, but perhaps the OP meant that the film has many fanatic partisans. Inexplicably, I never took the opportunity to watch it as a younger man, though admittedly there were fewer chances before cable. I knew it only by it's reputation and by the enthusiasm some people expressed for it. My sister-in-law was/is a fanatic for the movie and has an entire collection of puzzles, trays, mugs, books, tee shirts, etc., to the point where it actually seemed to me that it WAS a cult film. When I finally made it a point to watch the movie for myself, I immediately became a fan, though one without all the merch. It could be the fact that the movie, like It's a Wonderful Life, has been so heavily merchandized that might make it seem like a cult movie. Just a guess. 

My thought was they didn't know which sub-forum was best to discuss CASABLANCA. We do not have a section for classic drama (but we do have a section for comedy). Though I suppose this film could be discussed in the romance sub-forum. It's not really a war film. Is it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

My thought was they didn't know which sub-forum was best to discuss CASABLANCA. We do not have a section for classic drama (but we do have a section for comedy). Though I suppose this film could be discussed in the romance sub-forum. It's not really a war film. Is it?

It was the first and so far only post from this person, so you're probably right that he/she hadn't really figured out how to navigate yet. It is interesting how so many films can be cross-categorized. Maybe even a fit subject for a thread, though again there's the question of where?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DougieB said:

It was the first and so far only post from this person, so you're probably right that he/she hadn't really figured out how to navigate yet. It is interesting how so many films can be cross-categorized. Maybe even a fit subject for a thread, though again there's the question of where?

A few weeks ago I sent a note to the moderator with suggestions for making this part of the site easier to navigate, which they kindly said they'd pass on to the correct department. One of the things I mentioned was the cross-categorizing of films in the genres section. I suggested they create a forum for classic drama, then have sub-forums under drama for things like romance drama, crime drama, adventure drama, political drama, religious drama, etc. I think it would be easier to find discussions on certain films that way. I also felt that romantic comedy did not need its own forum, but rather should be a sub-forum under comedy. 

In addition to all this, I asked if they could create a forum to discuss holiday films. This would obviously cover more than just Christmas-related titles, because TCM programmers develop themes for MLK Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, St. Patrick's Day and the Fourth of July. We'll see if they incorporate my suggestions when the time comes for the next site upgrade.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us