Sign in to follow this  
Zea

CHEW THAT SCENERY!

51 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Zea said:

Which actors and actresses would you consider the most scenery chewing?

There's been one specific actor already mentioned in some recent posts, so I'll go for some others. Interestingly, more hammy males came to mind than females.  Also, I think quite a few actors & actresses tended to over play it the older they got.  But that may be a whole different topic.

AL PACINO and RICHARD BURTON

KATHERINE HEPBURN and MERCEDES MCCAMBRIDGE

BTW: Due to the fact that I stand on my rights not to self-incriminate myself or my avatar, I cannot in all good conscience nominate Bette Davis, even though she's probably a very strong contender in some people's eyes. 

There are some wonderfully accurate choices here of "scenery chewing" actors, but they are all pikers compared to someone who is so not famous but chews up scenery, spits it out and then rolls his eyes and makes faces that one has to see to believe....Tod Slaughter!

Now I know he is hardly famous, but I'd read about him for years in my film books and finally about ten years ago saw one of his films in some movie catalog I had. It was called "A Face at the Window" [1939] and supposedly was one of his most hammy performances over all his other most hammy performances so I bought it. I awaited the dvd anxiously and could barely wait to stick it in the player. The movie opens and this psychotic looking character is acting as if he is in some Victorian melodrama, which of course the real Tod Slaughter had been in his early acting days, and his behaviour is beyond belief. Another one of his most famous/infamous parts is in the 1930's film, "The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" which again has to be seen to be believed. I recommend any who enjoy over the top things to view some of his work on Youtube!

Clever topic, Zea and I concur with all the previous choices of posters.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Not thinking of one off the top of my head. Did these two ever make a movie together?

No, but they slept together!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Did Shat make any recordings? :D

If you can take listening to this track, then you'll just LUV the album.

It's probably very rare to come by, but I'm sure if you don some pointy ears, some blue & black spandex and attend the next Trekkie convention, you'll be able to locate a copy. It'd help if you had some tribbles to trade.

044.jpg.e5db47271e7fa67321489ad499ae1c83.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zea said:

If you can take listening to this track, then you'll just LUV the album.

It's probably very rare to come by, but I'm sure if you don some pointy ears, some blue & black spandex and attend the next Trekkie convention, you'll be able to locate a copy. It'd help if you had some tribbles to trade.

044.jpg.e5db47271e7fa67321489ad499ae1c83.jpg

Maybe the estate of Whit Bissell has some leftover Tribbles?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dargo said:

Here's another one...

price.jpg,

Now, while I must admit I've always loved Vincent here, he WAS known to "play it pretty broadly" on more than a few occasions, but was still almost always fun to watch.

I can't think of better examples of this than his over-the-top portrayal as Gene Tierney's spurned lover and prosecuting attorney in Leave Her to Heaven (in the courtroom scene especially) and his WAY over-the-top(and/but still very entertaining) comic turn as the soap company president that sponsors the television quiz show in the comedy Champagne for Caesar

Yes, Price screaming over and over at Jeanne Crain about whether she loves Cornel Wilde foreshadows how over the top he would get during much of his horror movie career! Raymond Burr has already been mentioned more than once on this thread. I'm reminded of his over the top performance as the DA in A Place in the Sun, where in his enthusiasm to recreate the alleged murder scene, he starts cutting of Montgomery Clift's answers and then finally takes the oar (I assume crucial material evidence) and smashes it against the floor!

• Like 2

My picks:

Marlon Brando (never could stand him except in 'The Godfather')

Bette Davis & Joan Crawford (I love them both but they could also overdo it at times)

Lana Turner

Katherine Hepburn

Norma Shearer (liked in silents but couldn't stand her over-the-top acting in talkies)

Shelley Winters

James Dean

• Like 1

Jack Lemmon in The Great Race, him as Professor Fate and Prince Hapnick is constant scenery chewing. It's probably more difficult to figure out which scenes he isn't hamming it up in it but he was the absolute best part of the movie.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hibi said:

Did Shat make any recordings? :D

:D

Yep.  And that pulperfect subjunctive best descibes the method in which it was made.  ;)  :D 

Sepiatone

How about Marie Dressler? I guess her chewing was mostly in her facial expressions, but even in comedies I find it a little OTT. I still have great admiration for her career, though, in which she successfully tackled stage, silent film and talkies.

On 9/7/2018 at 3:01 AM, Dargo said:

Here's another one...

price.jpg,

Now, while I must admit I've always loved Vincent here, he WAS known to "play it pretty broadly" on more than a few occasions, but was still almost always fun to watch.

I can't think of better examples of this than his over-the-top portrayal as Gene Tierney's spurned lover and prosecuting attorney in Leave Her to Heaven (in the courtroom scene especially) and his WAY over-the-top(and/but still very entertaining) comic turn as the soap company president that sponsors the television quiz show in the comedy Champagne for Caesar

To be fair to Vinnie (who was a ham in a lot of his stuff) his over-the-top work in Champagne for Caesar adds tremendously to that film's comedic enjoyment. His character is, after all, a total eccentric.

• Like 1

If there's ever a thread about the star of a film who liked to chew up members of the supporting cast I've got a great entry ready

kong-chomp.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

:D

Yep.  And that pulperfect subjunctive best descibes the method in which it was made.  ;)  :D 

Sepiatone

Plu!

30 minutes ago, TomJH said:

If there's ever a thread about the star of a film who liked to chew up members of the supporting cast I've got a great entry ready

kong-chomp.jpg

OMG! I love the scenes where they show close-ups of Kong's face. Also as a kid remember watching it with the neighborhood boys, who would clap every time Kong would eat someone, or take his foot/paw and rub out a native who was running for his life, into the ground. I guess we were all rather bloodthirsty. There was a certain humor to those scenes though that was evident, almost as if it was a comic Looney Tunes killing like Bugs Bunny would perpetrate. Thanks for the fine visual of Kong's dental work!

17 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Plu!

Yep.  ;)

And thank you for the correction.  :)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Jack Nicholson

His overacting works in "Batman" and "The Witches Of Eastwick", I thought he was hilarious and very entertaining.

I do wish he had toned it down a bit in "The Shining", I laughed at him in this one too, but I don't think I was supposed to.

• Like 1

Frank Morgan 

Susan Hayward

James Dean 

and, the King of Scenery Chewing:  Mickey Rooney!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Jack Nicholson

His overacting works in "Batman" and "The Witches Of Eastwick", I thought he was hilarious and very entertaining.

I do wish he had toned it down a bit in "The Shining", I laughed at him in this one too, but I don't think I was supposed to.

Jack also overacts in The Departed. His death scene probably isn't supposed to be funny.

• Like 2

William Conrad...

but the worst I've eve seen was Edward G. Robinson in "Two Seconds" (1932). It may be the most hackneyed acting I've ever viewed from anyone.

50 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

William Conrad...

but the worst I've eve seen was Edward G. Robinson in "Two Seconds" (1932). It may be the most hackneyed acting I've ever viewed from anyone.

Interesting here, Sarge. Unless you meant this as a joke and were implying that with Conrad always being rather rotund and thus "chewing the scenery" was the way he got that way, I've never thought of him as particularly being prone to overact in his film roles.

So, can you give me a few examples of what you mean here if this wasn't meant as a joke?

(...'cause the first thing that came to my mind when you mentioned his name and how I usually remember his acting style was the "bright boy" diner scene in The Killers, and I don't think he overacted in that at all) 

Good question. The film I'm thinking of is a newspaper drama called -30- with his pal Jack Webb.

In general I am not very sensitive to instances of 'scenery-chewing'; and it takes me a long while to either identify or agree with it whenever its cited. But someone once said Conrad's performance in this movie exemplified it and over time, I began to agree. But as I say, I am usually never one to point-this-particular-finger.

• Thanks 1