CinemaInternational

Burt Reynolds (1936-2018)

113 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Dargo said:

AND, it never tasted any better than any of the other mass-produced American beer products. Back then it always seemed to me to just be the case of Coors' lack of national availability giving it some kind of undeserved reputation for "uniqueness".

It's kind'a like today when people from back east come out west here and have heard that In-n-Out Burgers' wares are supposedly extra tasty.

(...they're not)

have heard that about In-n-Out Burger. I was amused the first time I met someone visiting my area and they were excited about dining at Hardee's because they heard it was exceptional. It's not, and it's generally regarded as the bottom of the fast-food burger totem pole by the locals. There was another guy who was thrilled to get to eat an Arby's roast beef sandwich, as there were none in his area (NY state) at the time.

Burt blew mega-cash living the movie star life plus huge settlements to Loni and Pamela, his girlfriend after Loni. Even with Charles Bronson style action films like Malone [1987], he was getting a nice 3 million dollars. It's unreal what movie people spend.

13 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

have heard that about In-n-Out Burger. I was amused the first time I met someone visiting my area and they were excited about dining at Hardee's because they heard it was exceptional. It's not, and it's generally regarded as the bottom of the fast-food burger totem pole by the locals. There was another guy who was thrilled to get to eat an Arby's roast beef sandwich, as there were none in his area (NY state) at the time.

Heh, yeah....

I got roped into standing in line for an hour just to buy and eat what I still consider a nothing remarkable WAHLBURGER.  Most CORNER BARS 'round here have better.  And for LESS MONEY.

HARDEES?  Well, the first of those came to the Detroit area about late '72, more than five miles from where I was living at the time, and my just out of the Marines buddy made such a big deal about them we drove that disrtance just to try 'em.  I liked them and always did.  But after so many years, Hardee's disappeared from the state, but lately, I noticed one in a neighboring town, but not the same type of place that's now a WENDY'S in my city.

No "In and Outs" 'round here either.  And the ONLY JACK IN THE BOX ever in these parts is now a CHECKER'S.

Back on track; talking to my stepsister recently( the only one still living) she reminded me that my Mom used to sarcastically refer to Reynold's GUNSMOKE character as "Squint",  because( as she said) it always looked as if his character was squinting all the time.  ;)

Sepiatone

19 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

In-N-Out's burgers are okay, but their fries are terrible.  I went to an In-N-Out a few months ago and literally watched them slicing potatoes to make into french fries.  Whatever happens to the fry between potato and fryer is anyone's guess.

I much prefer the local fast food chain, Burgerville, centered in the Pacific Northwest.  All ingredients are locally sourced and their burgers and fries taste great.  They have these amazing Walla Walla onion rings, which are only available during the summer.  

Hardee's I think is Carl's Jr on the West Coast.  Carl's Jr is actually pretty good.  They're my second favorite after Burgerville.

I was just in Austin and considered going to Whataburger because I've heard of it, but had never gone there, but I never ended up going. Next time I guess. 

Some want to boycott In-N-Out because they recently donated to the Republican Party, here in CA. I went there only once, when they were new to my town. I don't see the big deal. These days, more fast food places are going fresh versus frozen. That was the plus with In-N-Out. My favorite, Oregon based, is Sheri's. Great pies, like Marie Callender's. Now there is a Sheri's close to me, but no longer Marie Callender's.

Dargo, old buddy, Californians are pretty darn permissive, but NOT when people dis In-N-Out. (Even if you might be right.)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kingrat said:

Dargo, old buddy, Californians are pretty darn permissive, but NOT when people dis In-N-Out. (Even if you might be right.)

LOL ;)

Okay, one final note on burger chains before we hopefully get back to Burt in his thread here.

In my opinion, THE best large nationwide burger chain in these United States is Wendy's.

And, THE best small regional burger chain out west here is Fatburger, and which makes In-N-Out's wares seem bland and tasteless by comparison.

(...and especially a nice big juicy charbroiled Fatburger with their better than most other places' and very delicious onion rings...Mmmmmmm!)

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

In my opinion, THE best large nationwide burger chain in these United States is Wendy's.

I agree. So what do we know about Burt eating habits?

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Even McDonald's had to bow to the superiority of the Wendy's burger with their "Arch Deluxe" back in '99, but all anyone ever complained about were the ad campaigns, which were messed up in literally half a dozen ways.

----

Back on the subject of Burt's filmography:

With everyone complaining about the Great iTunes Purge this week, and jumping onto their blogs with their shocking discovery that--gasp!--they never really owned the movies they bought on iTunes! 😮 --it's a good time to point out that I tried going back to look up the original first "Cannonball Run" movie on Amazon/Vudu, and had to go up the street to our local library to find it on disk instead.  Apparently, the first movie wasn't anywhere on streaming...This looks like a job for Captain Chaos.

(For some reason, though, "Cannonball Run II", where half the race is substituted by a cartoon, and Frank Sinatra never seems to be in the same shot with any of the other characters, is readily available and everywhere on streaming, but that didn't help me, as I'd already seen it.)

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

LOL ;)

Okay, one final note on burger chains before we hopefully get back to Burt in his thread here.

And, THE best small regional burger chain out west here is Fatburger, and which makes In-N-Out's wares seem bland and tasteless by comparison.

(...and especially a nice big juicy charbroiled Fatburger with their better than most other places' and very delicious onion rings...Mmmmmmm!)

Wendy's burgers are for squares.   

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Wendy's burgers are for squares.   

Yeah, James. Steak n' Shake is the ultimate burger restaurant. ;) 

On 9/13/2018 at 5:12 PM, Dargo said:

AND, it never tasted any better than any of the other mass-produced American beer products. Back then it always seemed to me to just be the case of Coors' lack of national availability giving it some kind of undeserved reputation for "uniqueness".

It's kind'a like today when people from back east come out west here and have heard that In-n-Out Burgers' wares are supposedly extra tasty.

(...they're not)

I'm from Texas, and some of my fellow Texans for years spoke of In-n-Out with mythical reverence as if it was some kind of magical hamburger Nirvana. I personally know a number of people who would make a 60-mile round-trip drive to go to an In-n-Out if they were on a business trip to California and they could find an In-n-Out within a 30-mile radius! Yes, it was worth it they swore to me when I expressed doubt. Can't be better than Whataburger, I always thought to myself. My friends learned the secret language from Californians, all about "animal style" and all the secret, special ways you could get your burger prepared and shared it with one another like some Masonic lodge ritual. They all seemed brainwashed to me.

Well, In-n-Out finally expanded to Texas about two or three years ago, and I'm here to tell you ... it ain't better than Whataburger, as I always suspected.