Sign in to follow this  
ClassicMovies_fan_chick

Burt Reynold's Tribute soon?

22 posts in this topic

Seeing on how the late actor died two days ago, will TCM be doing a tribute next month?

As I was watching his spoken tribute to Spencer Tracy yesterday afternoon, I was kinda sad. Knowing he had died and he REALLY adored Spencer greatly.

Will the tribute be happening? Has their already been talks of it?

Not sure if TCM will have a tribute for him, like they've scheduled for Neil Simon. 

But I am sure he will be included in late December for the 2018 In Memorial evening of programming.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Not sure if TCM will have a tribute for him, like they've scheduled for Neil Simon. 

But I am sure he will be included in late December for the 2018 In Memorial evening of programming.

I sure hope so!

He was great in 'Best Little Whorehouse in Texas'. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2018 at 4:03 PM, TopBilled said:

TCM has to have a tribute to Burt Reynolds or they'll never hear the end of it.  He was a true Hollywood star with a long career.  Surely they can get a hold of some of his films some way.  I know I've seen STARTING OVER and DELIVERANCE on TCM.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

TCM has to have a tribute to Burt Reynolds or they'll never hear the end of it.  He was a true Hollywood star with a long career.  Surely they can get a hold of some of his films some way.  I know I've seen STARTING OVER and DELIVERANCE on TCM.

Yes, it will seem like an oversight if they don't do anything to honor him.

5 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Not doing a tribute for Reynolds would 'fit' the TCM brand as far as I'm concerned.   He didn't make many films in the studio-system era.   So I don't see a 'has to' here (unlike say when Olivia DeHavilland or Kirk Douglas was to pass).

Anyhow, as actors of his generation pass I wonder what TCM's polity (or really POV),  is related to who gets or doesn't get a tribute.    E.g.  His prior co-star and girlfriend; Sally Field - she was a fine actress in many first rate productions but is she a 'has to' or does she fall just outside the range of actors related to the majority of the films TCM shows (studio-era films).    

Of course I understand the POV of 'there doesn't need to be any generation 'cut-off'' but without some criteria the tributes could be 'all over the place'.  

24 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Not doing a tribute for Reynolds would 'fit' the TCM brand as far as I'm concerned.   He didn't make many films in the studio-system era.   So I don't see a 'has to' here (unlike say when Olivia DeHavilland or Kirk Douglas was to pass).

Anyhow, as actors of his generation pass I wonder what TCM's polity (or really POV),  is related to who gets or doesn't get a tribute.    E.g.  His prior co-star and girlfriend; Sally Field - she was a fine actress in many first rate productions but is she a 'has to' or does she fall just outside the range of actors related to the majority of the films TCM shows (studio-era films).    

Of course I understand the POV of 'there doesn't need to be any generation 'cut-off'' but without some criteria the tributes could be 'all over the place'.  

If there is a 'cut off,' then we eventually reach a point (after De Havilland and Douglas pass) where there are no more memorial tributes left to do.

I was looking at the people featured the past few years in the TCM Remembers clips. In 2016 they included Doris Roberts. She was certainly not a studio-era actress plus she was primarily known for her work on television. But it didn't prevent them from honoring her. Other honorees in those recent year-end clips include writers, producers and directors, as well as foreign stars, that many people have never heard of before.

31 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Didn't Robin Williams have his own tribute? :huh: If he got one, I think Reynolds will too. Reynolds seems like one of the actors that'll get a tribute. TCM hasn't been only studio era films anyways. While it's part of the brand you could say, the focus hasn't only been on the studio era throughout its existence.

3 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Didn't Robin Williams have his own tribute? :huh: If he got one, I think Reynolds will too. Reynolds seems like one of the actors that'll get a tribute. TCM hasn't been only studio era films anyways. While it's part of the brand you could say, the focus hasn't only been on the studio era throughout its existence.

Of course TCM shows post studio-era film but that being said,  should the 'policy' be that any 'important' actors that pass,  period,  should get a film tribute?    (i.e. a day or half-day where TCM features their films?).     E.g. Tom Hanks dies.  TCM must have a tribute?  (I say 'must have' in that if they don't people would complain that this was wrong since,  well,   someone else from that generation had a tribute).       

I don't have any vested interest here (if there is a tribute of someone I don't care for I just play guitar, go hiking, or go all crazy on the Chit-Chat forum,  ha ha).    I just wonder what the POV of TCM programming department is in this area especially since,  as TB noted,  there are few remaining studio-era stars and therefore in the future the actors that will be leaving us will NOT be from that generation but instead from one or even two later generations.

PS:  Reynolds was born in 1936,  which is the same year as Robert Redford,  so to me both of these actors fall into that 'gray' zone as it relates to the studio \ production code era and post that era.   But Redford was a lot more active in films in the 60s than Reynolds.    Williams born 15 years later is from another generation.  

I can see them doing a tribute for Robert Redford when he passes. They've already featured him as a Star of the Month. I also see Barbra Streisand getting a special tribute. Maybe not a 24-hour tribute like they'll undoubtedly have for De Havilland and Douglas, but an evening spotlight, like they are about to do for Neil Simon.

Liza Minnelli's another one who will receive fanfare by TCM when she dies.

But I am not sure if they consider Burt Reynolds in the same league. He will certainly have a film screened in late December for their In Memorial end of the year programming.

• Like 2

Reynolds may get an evening, but he'll more likely get a single feature on the In Memoriam day they always do at the end of the year, and it'll either be Deliverance or Smokey & the Bandit.

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

Reynolds may get an evening, but he'll more likely get a single feature on the In Memoriam day they always do at the end of the year, and it'll either be Deliverance or Smokey & the Bandit.

I'd say DELIVERANCE, since it was nominated for Best Picture and they can re-air it in February during 31 Days of Oscar.

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I can see them doing a tribute for Robert Redford when he passes. They've already featured him as a Star of the Month. I also see Barbra Streisand getting a special tribute. Maybe not a 24-hour tribute like they'll undoubtedly have for De Havilland and Douglas, but an evening spotlight, like they are about to do for Neil Simon.

But I am not sure if they consider Burt Reynolds in the same league. He will certainly have a film screened in late December for their In Memorial end of the year programming.

Olivia deHaviland, Kirk Douglas, and Doris Day will definitely deserve 24-hour tributes. Redford is on the borderline, but I'd say he'll have it because Paul Newman had it (again, deserved) and also because Redford directed an Oscar-winning picture and appeared in several Oscar winners more. I'm less convinced of Streisand's stature in this debate, but I believe she'll have a 24-hour tribute. I'd give Burt Reynolds (and Liza Minelli) an evening of three or four presentations.

19 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

On this rather morbid subject, I'd also add Gene Hackman, Sean Connery, and Clint Eastwood as 24-hour salutes. Personally I would also add Robert Duvall, Max von Sydow, Michael Caine, Warren Beatty, Dustin Hoffman, Jane Fonda, and Jack Nicholson (all of whom are 80 or older), but I don't know that TCM feels the same about them.

14 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

On this rather morbid subject, I'd also add Gene Hackman, Sean Connery, and Clint Eastwood as 24-hour salutes. Personally I would also add Robert Duvall, Max von Sydow, Michael Caine, Warren Beatty, Dustin Hoffman, Jane Fonda, and Jack Nicholson (all of whom are 80 or older), but I don't know that TCM feels the same about them.

Fine list of actors and likely candidates for a TCM tribute and each were in some films prior to 1968 \ 69 (the approximate end of the studio\code era???).   So is that a criteria?  

OR is it just how TCM programmers \ management 'feel':   E.g an actor dies and e-mails are sent around 'hey,  joe,  do you believe XYZ should get a tribute?'.

5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Fine list of actors and likely candidates for a TCM tribute and each were in some films prior to 1968 \ 69 (the approximate end of the studio\code era???).   So is that a criteria?  

OR is it just how TCM programmers \ management 'feel':   E.g an actor dies and e-mails are sent around 'hey,  joe,  do you believe XYZ should get a tribute?'.

Yeah, I'm not sure. Most of the performers I listed had a large cultural impact, but then so did Burt Reynolds. I picked Hackman since they had him as a Star of the Month. Was Connery or Eastwood? I can't recall.

Looking at the list of former SOTM's, Shirley MacLaine, Leslie Caron, Kim Novak, and Sophia Loren pop out as likely to get major tributes. And Sean Connery was a SOTM, back in May of '09.

56 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Looking at the list of former SOTM's, Shirley MacLaine, Leslie Caron, Kim Novak, and Sophia Loren pop out as likely to get major tributes. And Sean Connery was a SOTM, back in May of '09.

Yes, those people seem likely. Some of it has to do with how stars cultivate a relationship with TCM. Did Burt Reynolds ever appear at a TCM film festival or go on a TCM cruise? I don't think he really had that kind of relationship with TCM.

My guess is if they don't give him a tribute right now, they will do so later. And I wouldn't be surprised if he leads off the In Memorial programming in December where the film chosen to honor him gets the 8 p.m. slot.

• Like 2

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will celebrate the life and career of iconic actor, director and producer Burt Reynolds with a six-film tribute on Wednesday, December 26. Reynolds, who passed away on September 6 at the age of 82, was an Academy Award®-nominated actor who was in more than 100 feature films ranging from comedies to thrillers and was also a staple on television shows like Evening Shade.

The following is the complete schedule for TCM's tribute to Burt Reynolds:

TCM Remembers Burt Reynolds – Wednesday, December 26

8:00 p.m. Smokey and the Bandit (1977) – A maverick trucker tries to save a runaway bride and a shipment of contraband beer from a small-town sheriff.

10:00 p.m. Deliverance (1972) – During a hunting vacation, four men fight against a murderous clan of backwoodsmen.

12:00 a.m. The Longest Yard (1974) – When a disgraced NFL quarterback is sent to prison for stealing a car, he’s forced by the sadistic warden to take part in a convicts versus guards exhibition football game.

2:15 a.m. Hooper (1978) – An aging stuntman teams up with a young hotshot.

4:15 a.m. Smokey and the Bandit II (1980) – A raucous political race results in the comeback of the wild ways of the Bandit, again pursued by arch enemy Sheriff Buford T. Justice.

6:00 a.m. Best Friends (1982) – Longtime roommates and professional partners find they aren't prepared to make it legal.

https://www.turner.com/pressroom/united-states/tcm/tcm-celebrate-legendary-actor-burt-reynolds

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will celebrate the life and career of iconic actor, director and producer Burt Reynolds with a six-film tribute on Wednesday, December 26. Reynolds, who passed away on September 6 at the age of 82, was an Academy Award®-nominated actor who was in more than 100 feature films ranging from comedies to thrillers and was also a staple on television shows like Evening Shade.

The following is the complete schedule for TCM's tribute to Burt Reynolds:

TCM Remembers Burt Reynolds – Wednesday, December 26

8:00 p.m. Smokey and the Bandit (1977) – A maverick trucker tries to save a runaway bride and a shipment of contraband beer from a small-town sheriff.

10:00 p.m. Deliverance (1972) – During a hunting vacation, four men fight against a murderous clan of backwoodsmen.

12:00 a.m. The Longest Yard (1974) – When a disgraced NFL quarterback is sent to prison for stealing a car, he’s forced by the sadistic warden to take part in a convicts versus guards exhibition football game.

2:15 a.m. Hooper (1978) – An aging stuntman teams up with a young hotshot.

4:15 a.m. Smokey and the Bandit II (1980) – A raucous political race results in the comeback of the wild ways of the Bandit, again pursued by arch enemy Sheriff Buford T. Justice.

6:00 a.m. Best Friends (1982) – Longtime roommates and professional partners find they aren't prepared to make it legal.

https://www.turner.com/pressroom/united-states/tcm/tcm-celebrate-legendary-actor-burt-reynolds

Great! An excellent selection of Burt Reynolds movies. Thanks TCM!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Great! An excellent selection of Burt Reynolds movies. Thanks TCM!

I'll be waiting for December 27 for the posts asking why TCM is now showing so many 70s and 80s films!!!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I'll be waiting for December 27 for the posts asking why TCM is now showing so many 70s and 80s films!!!

Yeah, I'm sure we'll see those.