LawrenceA

November 2018 schedule is up

46 posts in this topic

Thanks Larry! I created a thread for Glenda Farrell in the Star of the Month sub-forum. 

But I will re-post the info here:

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 3.05.50 PM.jpg

5th of november
kissin' cousins (1964) with elvis presley
susan slept here (1954) with dick powell
apache war smoke (1952) with gilbert roland
heat lightning (1934) with aline macmahon
dark hazard (1934) with edward g. robinson
little caesar (1930) with edward g. robinson
i am a fugitive from a chain gang (1932) with paul muni
the mystery of the wax museum (1933) with lionel atwill
the secret bride (1935) with barbara stanwyck
the match king (1932) with warren william
the big shakedown (1934) with bette davis

12th of november
go into your dance (1935) with al jolson
life begins (1932) with loretta young
mary stevens m.d. (1933) with kay francis
johnny eager (1942) with robert taylor
hi nellie! (1934) with paul muni
smart blonde (1936) with barton maclane
the adventurous blonde (1937) with barton maclane
fly away baby (1937) with barton maclane
blondes at work (1938) with barton maclane
torchy blane in chinatown (1938) with barton maclane
torchy gets her man (1938) with barton maclane
torchy runs for mayor (1939) with barton maclane
here comes carter (1936) with ross alexander

19th of november
central airport (1933) with richard barthelmess
three on a match (1932) with bette davis
the keyhole (1933) with kay francis
snowed under (1936) with george brent
the law in her hands (1936) with margaret lindsay
havana widows (1933) with joan blondell
kansas city princess (1934) with joan blondell
miss pacific fleet (1935) with joan blondell
traveling saleslady (1935) with joan blondell
we're in the money (1935) with joan blondell
i've got your number (1934) with joan blondell
gold diggers of 1937 (1936) with joan blondell

26th of november
the personality kid (1934) with pat o'brien
in caliente (1935) with dolores del rio
girl missing (1933) with ben lyon
gold diggers of 1935 (1935) with dick powell
dance charlie dance (1937) with stuart erwin
lady for a day (1933) with may robson
breakfast for two (1937) with barbara stanwyck
bureau of missing persons (1933) with pat o'brien
little big shot (1935) with sybil jason
the merry wives of reno (1934) with guy kibbee
grand slam (1933) with loretta young
hollywood hotel (1937) with dick powell

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I love Glenda Farrell, but I wish somebody would get Universal to restore 1938's Exposed so it could be shown on TCM. It is absolutely hilarious and hardly anyone has ever seen it.

Three of my favorite Max Fleischer Popeye cartoons are scheduled to air this month:

A Clean Shaven Man on November 3

Brotherly Love on November 17

I-Ski Love-Ski You-Ski on November 24

The first two cartoons feature a song sung by Olive Oyl (voiced by Mae Questel) and third one includes a song sung by Popeye (Jack Mercer) and Bluto (Gus Wickie).   

• Like 1

How exciting.  I don't know much about Glenda Farrell except for the few movies I've seen with her and Joan Blondell.  I'll have to read more about Glenda's movies to see which ones I should record.

I'm in Austin for work and it's apparently already 9:30pm, even though for me it's 7:30pm.  I was planning on watching something on Watch TCM before I go to bed, but it looks like I'll have to peruse the November schedule first.

11/3

Panic in the Streets.  This is one of the Fox Noir that I keep checking out from the library and keep having to return it before I'm able to watch it. 

Sniper.  The Noir Alley feature sounds interesting.  I didn't know that Adolphe Menjou ever appeared in a noir.

11/5

Kissin' Cousins.  I can't explain it, but for some reason, I want to watch the Elvis movies.

Heat Lightning.  This sounds interesting.

The Secret Bride.  A Barbara Stanwyck movie that I haven't seen yet.

11/10

The Noir Alley feature, The Threat

::snooze:: More freaking war movies.  Blah.

11/12

Johnny Eager.  This Lana Turner movie sounds interesting.

11/13 

Vigil in the Night.  A Carole Lombard film that I haven't seen yet.

11/16 

Sisters.  I've always wanted to see this movie

11/19

Looks like the evening is dedicated to Glenda Farrell's collaborations with Joan Blondell.

11/21

I love the birthday tribute to Eleanor Powell.  I love Eleanor Powell.  My favorite movies of all these selections is Lady Be Good and Born to Dance.  I think I've seen/have all of the movies airing--except I Dood It.  But the other one I don't have is Rosalie, so I may record that one. 

I notice that 11/21's theme is called "TCM Backlot."  Are these films voted on and chosen by Backlot members?

11/24

The Killing is this night's Noir Alley feature.  I always see the DVD for this film in the used section.  I'd love to see the movie.

11/28

The Outlaw.  I've always wanted to see this film.

His Kind of Woman.  This movie sounds interesting: Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell, Vincent Price.

---

All in all, a pretty interesting schedule.  I'll have to research Glenda Farrell a little bit more to see what films of hers I want to watch.  I can't help but feel that parts of this schedule are a compilation of all the themes of this past year.  

• Like 1

I see where the spotlight for the month is on the art of casting. Was very surprised to see 1990's Men Don't Leave as part of that spotlight. It is extremely well cast, and a fine film, but I thought that many didn't know it existed.

• Like 1

I'm curious about the "Art of Casting" Spotlight.  I wonder if the focus is on specific casting directors? Because wouldn't choosing films based on having a great cast (for example), be just subjective on TCM's part?

1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

I'm curious about the "Art of Casting" Spotlight.  I wonder if the focus is on specific casting directors? Because wouldn't choosing films based on having a great cast (for example), be just subjective on TCM's part?

I'm wondering if the spotlight is going to be hosted (or co-hosted) by casting directors. 

2 minutes ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

I'm wondering if the spotlight is going to be hosted (or co-hosted) by casting directors. 

That would also be a good choice as presumably the casting directors would provide some sort of insight or opinion or something that would back-up the choice as to why such and such film is an example of great casting.

Hooray! Wasn't sure this was ever going to happen! I am seriously unfamiliar with Glenda Farrell. Gonna have to look at her list of movies to even be sure I know who she is. Okay, gonna play around with some of these lists before I go to bed. I will probably post some comments tomorrow.

Okay, I can't stop from commenting already. Tales of Manhattan is getting the "TCM Presents" banner usually designated for premieres, but it has aired before in April, 2017. I was watching!

1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

Has there ever been any schedule ... ever, in the history of humanity ... you didn't post this?

Count your blessings. Would you prefer that I revive my thread "All I Want in 2016 is Marlon Brando as TCM's Star of the Month"?

Image result for marlon brando gif

• Haha 2

I see Veteran's Day, Nov. 11, left blank for now. Hope that means TCM is trying to procure something (or things) that hasn't been shown a billion times already. But we'll see.

The primetime theme for Nov. 21 is TCM Backlot. These were films voted on Backlot members? I know they've voted on some SOTM and SUTS representatives, but I hadn't heard about this day before. Anybody know what this is about? Possibly each film is going to be selected and introduced by a Backlot member being interviewed by Ben M. I think they've done that before

I just watched a few clips for Executive Action. Nipkow, hope you're watching, since you're always pandering for a political movie where the conservatives win. This movie appears to be about a cabal of Republican assassins who plot and successfully kill a liberal president! Hope you're weeping with joy that TCM is airing this movie.

6 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I just watched a few clips for Executive Action. Nipkow, hope you're watching, since you're always pandering for a political movie where the conservatives win. This movie appears to be about a cabal of Republican assassins who plot and successfully kill a liberal president! Hope you're weeping with joy that TCM is airing this movie.

EXECUTIVE ACTION was made by liberals (Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan, Will Geer, Dalton Trumbo) and is a cautionary tale about conservatives who go too far. Only at the end of the Nixon era would something like this get made.

7 hours ago, jakeem said:

Count your blessings. Would you prefer that I revive my thread "All I Want in 2016 is Marlon Brando as TCM's Star of the Month"?

Image result for marlon brando gif

Do you have something ready to post in the event he finally is chosen as Star of the Month?

The guest programmer for October was bumped from the schedule...and it looks like there is no guest programmer for November either.

26 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Do you have something ready to post in the event he finally is chosen as Star of the Month?

At this rate, I'm not sure I'll live long enough to see it. How long has TCM been around? Almost 25 years. And somehow Brando has never been saluted as a Star of the Month.