LonesomePolecat

VOTING THREAD FOR TCM CHALLENGE #39: WHAT IF?

53 posts in this topic

Some notes on the schedules!

I voted via PM, but I wanted to call out some bits and pieces of the schedules that I particularly like.

Here's to Stevo's choice of Saul Bass.  The master designer, who knocked every title sequence out of the park!

Here's to CinemaInternational for the "Actresses directed by their husbands" section.  An interesting and, as far as I know, unique twist.

Here's to Lydecker for a couple of things that really appeal;  John Garfield in the "what if" category, Paul Douglas as SOTM and the "Mama's Boys" collection of films.

Here's to SanFin for the "Variable" movies, featuring X in the title.  Not being good in math, it took me a minute to make the connection, but I love it!

And here's to SpeedRacer for "Flashbacks," a concept taken to the limit in "The Locket," but used so very in so many movies.

Thanks to everyone!  I only participate as a sort of lurker here, but may, someday, try my hand at my own schedule!

• Like 3

On 9/11/2018 at 11:21 AM, LonesomePolecat said:

It's true--TCM uses my ideas all the time. I requested via my schedule  CAROUSEL, SLIPPER AND THE ROSE, and A NEW LEAF, to name a few, before I saw them on TCM for real, so I feel partly responsible. I scheduled WHAT A WAY TO GO about 10 times, then finally they got the message -- that one's my fault. :)

I know there were very divisive opinions re: What a Way to Go when it finally premiered.  I had already seen it prior to it premiering.

I want to go on record saying that I love What a Way to Go and I'm glad that TCM showed it. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 1:46 PM, lydecker said:

Lots of wonderful schedules this time around so time to give a round of applause to:

Speedracer5:  Wow.  So much to like here.  "Christmas with Barbara Stanwyck," Jean Harlow as your "What If" actress (I seriously considered her, too) "5 W's and an H," Flashbacks, the "Perfect Lineup" and your Carole Lombard salute. (She got a lot of love from you and CinemaInternational.)  Best of all was your selection of Rod Serling as your TCM Host  --  I can absolutely see him in that role.   

Tough decision since I liked so much in all the schedules but, my vote goes to Speedracer5.  Great, great job, Speedy!

Thank you for your kind words Lydecker! 

I see we both had the idea for the "Who/What/When/Where/Why/How." I noticed that the whole group of us seemed to be on the same wavelength as a lot of us had similar ideas.  At first I thought it'd be funny to have Rod Serling introduce frivolous films like Gidget, but then I decided on teen idols as my spotlight, so I went with more mystery-esque films.  I kept imagining Serling's introductions for these films.  Of course, he'd have to introduce the films not in the TCM living room--but in the same manner he introduced The Twilight Zone

14 hours ago, SansFin said:

All of the schedules are wonderful. I am very sorry I do not have time to reflect on each one as they deserve.

I wish to thank LonesomePolecat for setting a wonderful Challenge and for doing all the hard work to make it successful. 

My vote is for: Speedracer 5. It is based strictly on the number of times which I said "Yes! I want that." while reading the schedule.

All contributors are to be congratulated on their hard work and brilliance in bringing us these awesome schedules.

Thank you for the kind words Sans! I enjoyed your schedule as well! 

I'm sorry I never had time to post my notes.  You know how it is, you have the entire summer to write your schedule, so obviously you wait until a few days before the deadline to start.  Lol.  But honestly, I've been so busy this summer with work and other things, that it was all I could do to write the schedule.  Toward the end of the summer, I had a large writing project due for work (a project that involved me traveling from Portland to Austin to work on it) that placed a lot of stress on me. 

I've finally gotten a chance to check out everyone's fantastic schedules.  I noticed that the group of us had overlapping theme and tribute ideas--just goes to show that we'd make a great programming team! 

Sans- I loved your tributes to Bob Fosse and Faye Dunaway. I also enjoyed the day of "Favorite" movies and the salute to Ronald Colman as SOTM.  I hadn't really known much about Colman, except from Talk of the Town and as I've seen more of him (like during his TCM tribute last year), the more I like him.  I wouldn't mind there being more Colman on TCM.  My favorite part of your schedule was the spotlight on Hayao Miyazaki.  I love his films--Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are two of my favorites.  I also loved The Secret World of Arrietty, Kiki's Delivery Service and The Cat Returns.  

Lydecker- I see we both have the same idea with the 6 questions (5 Ws & H) a reporter must ask when writing an informative article--great idea! I loved the salute to Mama's Boys, the Cagney & Blondell pairing, and the focus on John Garfield! The birthday tribute to George Sanders was fantastic.  I also liked the 4th of July films (though technically Picnic is Labor Day.  But I love that movie, so I'm glad it's included). I also love the choice of Paul Douglas as SOTM.  It's an interesting idea.  Honestly, before I really started immersing myself in classic film, I only ever knew Douglas from his guest appearance in an episode of The Lucy Desi Comedy Hour.  I had no idea that he had a prolific film career prior.  I especially enjoyed him in A Letter to Three Wives.  I would welcome a TCM focus on Paul Douglas. 

Cinema Int'l- I loved your "Direct From Broadway" series of films.  What a great idea. I also love Mary Tyler Moore, so I welcome any spotlight on her movie career. The Disney Vault was great, so many classic Disney films that I'd welcome seeing again. The salute to Carole Lombard was excellent. I see that we both share an affinity for her.  I love the idea of Barbarella being scheduled at 6:15am.  I also enjoyed the vacations gone wrong theme--Niagara is such a great film (despite the presence of Casey Adams/Max Showalter aka "Grandpa Fred" from Sixteen Candles). I also really liked the "Long time no see TCM" theme.  So many great films that TCM needs to show. Finally, I don't know if it was just on my computer, but a lot of your text converted into emojis which I enjoyed.

Stevo- I loved the Gloria Grahame in the morning theme.  She's fantastic and I'd welcome watching her films at any time.  The Burt Reynolds tribute was fun--anytime Smokey and the Bandit is scheduled, I'm all in. Gwen Verdon is someone who needs more air time on TCM and I'm glad to see her included. I love the all day Disney theme and I'm glad to see my girl, Hayley Mills, spotlighted. I'm all about hard, intense romantic films, even ones that do not end happily, so I like seeing the "Bittersweet Love" theme... followed by Jack Benny, whom I also enjoy.  I just recently discovered George Washington Slept Here and loved it. I also like the Cesar Romero birthday tribute.  Finally, I love Donald O'Connor and love that he was chosen for SOTM.  Come on TCM! Make that man SOTM already.

---

My vote goes to Stevo! Gloria Grahame, Smokey and the Bandit, Bittersweet Love, Hayley Mills... I'm all in. 

Great job everyone! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Submitted for your approval....

Funny thing about Serling.  The story is that he was extremely nervous shooting the intros, which is one reason he smoked frequently during the early ones.  He seems to be the height of cool, but apparently he was not!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Hepburn Fan said:

Very Noble to cast a vote to someone else. Chances are TCM will steal (borrow) ideas from many here. That makes everyone a winner.

Thank you.

In my experience doing these challenges, I have never seen someone vote for themselves. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

In my experience doing these challenges, I have never seen someone vote for themselves. 

I never had the gall to vote for myself, but back when I had time for such things, I'd sometimes slip in my own schedule when I was listing what I liked about each one. Nobody ever called me on it.

You're all to be congratulated on your great schedules.

Congrats also go to LonesomePolecat for setting a great challenge. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Capuchin said:

I never had the gall to vote for myself, but back when I had time for such things, I'd sometimes slip in my own schedule when I was listing what I liked about each one. Nobody ever called me on it.

That's funny!! (Listing what you liked about your own schedule!) I just assumed that you should always vote for a schedule other than your own . . . 

And, I agree  --  Great challenge by LP who took over for us. It was not an easy challenge but a very creative one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations, Speedracer5.  Just loved your schedule.  Let us know when you want to schedule the next one.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone!

I'm thinking after the holidays would be good.  What do you guys think?

Ahhhh.... now I have to think of an idea.

Congratulations Speedy! A very well deserved win! I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the next challenge. Before or after the holidays works fine for me.

I also just wanted to extend a big thank you to all the other participants, voters, commenters, and especially LonesomePolecat for stepping up and hosting a great challenge!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I'm thinking after the holidays would be good.  What do you guys think?

Ahhhh.... now I have to think of an idea.

After the holidays is perfect!

On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 10:43 PM, LonesomePolecat said:

Speedracer's Schedule:

4d7b625608a6b42e793f85b4f2622815.jpg

Just reposting the winning Now PlaYing Guide cover (hope you guYs enjoyed my covers--I worked hard!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Just reposting the winning Now PlaYing Guide cover (hope you guYs enjoyed my covers--I worked hard!)

I love them and I always download the ones you've done of my schedules past and present.  Very special.  Thanks.

Congratulations speedracer5! I am sure that Errol is quite pleased for his girlfriend's accomplishment.

LonesomePolecat - The covers are magnificent and much appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Speedy, is the next challenge going to be the Errol Flynn challenge? :) "7 days of Errol Flynn programming!"

Lol! That'd be amazing, but Errol only has so many movies to go around.  Maybe everyone can form a theme around one Errol Flynn movie.  Uncertain Glory can be grouped in with other WWII films like Casablanca, Edge of Darkness and Foreign Correspondent.  Lol.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Lol! That'd be amazing, but Errol only has so many movies to go around.  Maybe everyone can form a theme around one Errol Flynn movie.  Uncertain Glory can be grouped in with other WWII films like Casablanca, Edge of Darkness and Foreign Correspondent.  Lol.

Or, you could do practically a whole day around:  "Movies Where Errol Flynn and Michael Curtiz Drove Each Other Crazy!"

• Like 1

Can we really be almost at challenge #40? Amazing! I remember the first one I ever did was #13. To think how far we've come. Glad we're still doing these. Can't wait til the next one so I can write a schedule of my own! :)

• Like 2

On 9/25/2018 at 11:44 AM, Hepburn Fan said:

This challenge would be overwhelming to me, as my knowledge is minimal with all films.

My knowledge of movies is so superficial that my sole criteria is whether I enjoy a particular movie. I watch them for entertainment and do not dissect, analyse or study them. I do not track actors' careers nor do I assign values to their performances based on activity in their personal lives. I do not recognize changes of style in any director's work as they age. I have no sense for tropes or archetypes and I never look for hidden meanings. 

It is necessary only to be able to chose a movie which you wish TCM would air. It is possible to use the Keywords feature on IMDB.com or search for keywords on TCM.com/TCMDB to obtain a list of movies with similarities. It is likely that any person will recognize at least a few of the movies in any such list and be able to decide if they are movies which they wish to include.

I am sure that most participants have included movies in their schedules which they have not viewed but which seem appealing for various reasons and which fit smoothly into the timeline.

The most daunting portion of the Challenge for most people is fitting selected movies into a schedule and have no overlap and not skip any starting time. It sounds as if that would be easy for you and so you have a great advantage over us mere mortals.

• Like 3