LonesomePolecat

VOTING THREAD FOR TCM CHALLENGE #39: WHAT IF?

62 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Just reposting the winning Now PlaYing Guide cover (hope you guYs enjoyed my covers--I worked hard!)

I think the covers are magnificent. If the Now Playing Guide ever comes back in paper form, we know exactly where to look for covers.

1 hour ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Just reposting the winning Now PlaYing Guide cover (hope you guYs enjoyed my covers--I worked hard!)

I love them and I always download the ones you've done of my schedules past and present.  Very special.  Thanks.

Congratulations speedracer5! I am sure that Errol is quite pleased for his girlfriend's accomplishment.

LonesomePolecat - The covers are magnificent and much appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LonesomePolecat said:

Speedy, is the next challenge going to be the Errol Flynn challenge? :) "7 days of Errol Flynn programming!"

Lol! That'd be amazing, but Errol only has so many movies to go around.  Maybe everyone can form a theme around one Errol Flynn movie.  Uncertain Glory can be grouped in with other WWII films like Casablanca, Edge of Darkness and Foreign Correspondent.  Lol.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Lol! That'd be amazing, but Errol only has so many movies to go around.  Maybe everyone can form a theme around one Errol Flynn movie.  Uncertain Glory can be grouped in with other WWII films like Casablanca, Edge of Darkness and Foreign Correspondent.  Lol.

Or, you could do practically a whole day around:  "Movies Where Errol Flynn and Michael Curtiz Drove Each Other Crazy!"

• Like 1

In a different thread, there is a long list of TOPBILLED movies in the works. They will be classics before their time and worthy of TCM programming.

This challenge would be overwhelming to me, as my knowledge is minimal with all films. If a 'mini' challenge were established in a different category, I would try it. For now, this puppy isn't ready to run with the big dogs, so to speak.

So speedracer5, your next challenge could be even more of a challenge. Good Luck! I have every reason to believe it will be great 40th!

Can we really be almost at challenge #40? Amazing! I remember the first one I ever did was #13. To think how far we've come. Glad we're still doing these. Can't wait til the next one so I can write a schedule of my own! :)

• Like 2

On 9/25/2018 at 11:44 AM, Hepburn Fan said:

This challenge would be overwhelming to me, as my knowledge is minimal with all films.

My knowledge of movies is so superficial that my sole criteria is whether I enjoy a particular movie. I watch them for entertainment and do not dissect, analyse or study them. I do not track actors' careers nor do I assign values to their performances based on activity in their personal lives. I do not recognize changes of style in any director's work as they age. I have no sense for tropes or archetypes and I never look for hidden meanings. 

It is necessary only to be able to chose a movie which you wish TCM would air. It is possible to use the Keywords feature on IMDB.com or search for keywords on TCM.com/TCMDB to obtain a list of movies with similarities. It is likely that any person will recognize at least a few of the movies in any such list and be able to decide if they are movies which they wish to include.

I am sure that most participants have included movies in their schedules which they have not viewed but which seem appealing for various reasons and which fit smoothly into the timeline.

The most daunting portion of the Challenge for most people is fitting selected movies into a schedule and have no overlap and not skip any starting time. It sounds as if that would be easy for you and so you have a great advantage over us mere mortals.

• Like 3

On 9/26/2018 at 9:09 PM, SansFin said:

The most daunting portion of the Challenge for most people is fitting selected movies into a schedule and have no overlap and not skip any starting time. It sounds as if that would be easy for you and so you have a great advantage over us mere mortals.

I plan on looking at the previous challenges. I do love 60 minute math. Worked in automated radio once, and my claim to fame is getting 4 reel-to-reel tapes to play unattended for 6 hours, with none of them running out. In radio school, we went on-air and had to back-time to the top of the hour, do the station ID, and join the news exactly.

Being creative with themes and movies would be the greatest thing for me to work out. I must confess, I've already been getting ideas. I guess the fun part is not winning the challenge, but getting TCM to use your hard work on the channel.