Sign in to follow this  
Judith shea

Judy canova

8 posts in this topic

Why have there never been   Judy Canova films shown on  TCM ?

Many of her movies were shown years ago on commercial television

Hoping for a revival

Judy

1 hour ago, Judith shea said:

Why have there never been   Judy Canova films shown on  TCM ?

Many of her movies were shown years ago on commercial television

Hoping for a revival

Judy

I've written about Judy Canova in several other threads. Especially when I've talked about Republic Pictures. 

TCM has shown some movies that feature her, but they tend to be things that are in the TCM library, like GOING HIGHBROW, a Warner Brothers film, in which she has an early supporting role. Or the 1960 remake of THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN, from MGM, which was one of her last films.

This has nothing to do with this discussion, but I wanted to submit it anyway.  She did an episode of the Alfred Hitchcock TV show that was a rare dramatic role for her.  I think it's called "Party Line" and is a wonderful episode, very suspenseful.

17 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

This has nothing to do with this discussion, but I wanted to submit it anyway.  She did an episode of the Alfred Hitchcock TV show that was a rare dramatic role for her.  I think it's called "Party Line" and is a wonderful episode, very suspenseful.

She's also in an episode of The Danny Thomas Show where she sings two great songs, one a very memorable ballad. That particular season of Thomas' show has been restored and released on home video. So you can find her episode on DVD and it was on Hulu too.

38 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

Thanks, for the info, TopBilled.  I'll look for that.

Judy Canova's episode on The Danny Thomas Show is called 'The Country Girl.' According to this IMDb entry it was first broadcast in March 1958:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0640032/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_11

This broadcast plus other episodes of Danny's show may currently be streamed on Amazon Prime. If you scroll down to number 24, you'll see 'The Country Girl:'

https://www.amazon.com/Lose-Me-In-Las-Vegas/dp/B01HUDRVQK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1536691310&sr=8-2&keywords=danny+thomas+show

On 9/11/2018 at 1:14 PM, Terrence1 said:

That is a good one..plays against her usual likeable/comedic image

She also set sail on The Love Boat, as a cook on the ship who finds 'love, exciting and new' with the captain's father played by Phil Silvers.

I wish one of the ota 'oldies' tv stations would air her daughter Diana's series Throb

9 hours ago, shutoo said:

That is a good one..plays against her usual likeable/comedic image

She also set sail on The Love Boat, as a cook on the ship who finds 'love, exciting and new' with the captain's father played by Phil Silvers.

I wish one of the ota 'oldies' tv stations would air her daughter Diana's series Throb

Her daughter Diana looks a lot like her. There was another daughter who also resembled Judy.