Sign in to follow this  
Moorman

Superfly (2018)

3 posts in this topic

I'm a huge fan of the original Superfly that came out in 1972.  The original is about a New York city drug dealer named Youngblood who wants to make one last big score and get out of the game.  The original Superfly was played by Ron O'Neal.  The original is one of the VERY few blaxploitation films that is very critically acclaimed and has a cult following. A standout of the film is the soundtrack by Curtis Mayfield.  The remake follows the plot almost exactly but has some major plot differents.  The setting is moved to Atlanta to give it more of a modern Urban feel.  In this one, Youngblood is played by Trevor Jackson.

Any fans of Urban gangster films will see resemblences to the film " Belly"  (1998) and " Shaft" 2008 which was another remake of a original, starring Samuel Jackson as Shaft.  As far as the film itself, it was better than expected.  The cinematography was gorgeous (Amir Mokri) with a soundtrack by Josh Atchley, which also featured several hip hop songs by the artist " Future".  The plot was pretty good, THOUGH, contrived at times.  The plot built up several subplots to a very good tension, but one of the subplots I felt was rushed to a ending at the end of the film.  Overall, if you have nothing to do, its a kick back GOOD action gangster film that will surprise you.  The 1990s featured a slew of films in the Urban gangster arena, but the genre has kinda been slow during  the 2000s.  This was a welcome return to those types of films.  I rate it a solid 8 out of 10....

15cndph.jpg

2vbv90o.jpg

RON O'NEAL

2uo5ah1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Moorman check out the original Shaft, with your appreciation of Classic Film Noir you'll see how well it fits into the Neo Noirs.

I'll check out Superfly.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Moorman check out the original Shaft, with your appreciation of Classic Film Noir you'll see how well it fits into the Neo Noirs.

I'll check out Superfly.

Ok. I'll see if I can find it on Amazon. Thanks...  Wait. Gordon Parks. I think thats the SAME director as the original Superfly. Definitely should be a good film...