Sign in to follow this  
lydecker

Ben Mankiewicz & Keith Carradine

21 posts in this topic

Wow.  If they would do it, I think we have a great new The Essentials team.  I was so impressed by Carradine's knowledge and ease during his recent guest programmer stint.  He and Ben seem to really work well together and of course, they are both "legacies" of Old Hollywood.  I know Keith C. is working on Madame Secretary but Alec Baldwin has/had other gigs as well and managed to do the tapings.  

What do you think?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Wow.  If they would do it, I think we have a great new The Essentials team.  I was so impressed by Carradine's knowledge and ease during his recent guest programmer stint.  He and Ben seem to really work well together and of course, they are both "legacies" of Old Hollywood.  I know Keith C. is working on Madame Secretary but Alec Baldwin has/had other gigs as well and managed to do the tapings.  

What do you think?

So far I've only caught them doing the intro to Performance, but I liked their rapport too. It wasn't just Carradine's knowledge and ease, but his enthusiasm too. I liked that Keith coined the term "psychedelic noir" to describe the film, which has always been a favorite of mine. Ben seemed content to look at it as a gangster film, but Keith expanded that by pointing out it involved both the criminal underground and the rock and roll underground and it was really the convergence of two very different takes on violence and sexuality which made it such a potent movie. 

I'd agree that they'd be a good pairing for "The Essentials", except for the fact that the series may have run its course and had already begun repeating so many titles. But Keith should be a keeper for TCM, that's for sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, lydecker said:

What do you think?

Carradine IS observant. I remember his appearance many years ago on NBC's "Later with Bob Costas." He talked about his father, John Carradine, who played a Southern gambler named Hatfield in the classic John Ford Western "Stagecoach" (1939). Then the younger Carradine mentioned Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holliday in the 1993 Western "Tombstone" and deduced that Kilmer may have been influenced by the elder Carradine's "Stagecoach" character. 

I've neither seen nor heard a confirmation from Kilmer about the theory, but it seems spot on!

Image result for john carradine stagecoach

John Carradine in "Stagecoach"

Related image

Kilmer in "Tombstone"

• Like 3

I didn't catch any of this, but I'm not surprised to hear about Carradine's knowledge and style. I wouldn't mind seeing a revival of The Essentials, a longtime TCM staple, especially if there could be some greater variety to the selections.

• Like 2

Apologies. For a few days, I see I didn't even have an "S" on my profile photo spot. I realize now that was because I attempted to load a photo on there and met with failure, as I have every time I have attempted this. But I didn't change my setting back to "No Photo", which I see now must be done if I want the "S" back. 

I would love to load a photo like many of my fellow users, but I'm too computer-stupid to figure it out. All efforts result in me getting an "attempt failed" message. And there's no tutorial or anything to follow.

I thought there was something in the stickies thread about it (WAY back) I dont remember how I did mine and I'm afraid to attempt to change it, so it stays. Maybe someone else can help.

Just now, Hibi said:

I thought there was something in the stickies thread about it (WAY back) I dont remember how I did mine and I'm afraid to attempt to change it, so it stays. Maybe someone else can help.

You sure you don't want to change it to a rear view of Mr. Brent?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Apologies. For a few days, I see I didn't even have an "S" on my profile photo spot. I realize now that was because I attempted to load a photo on there and met with failure, as I have every time I have attempted this. But I didn't change my setting back to "No Photo", which I see now must be done if I want the "S" back. 

I would love to load a photo like many of my fellow users, but I'm too computer-stupid to figure it out. All efforts result in me getting an "attempt failed" message. And there's no tutorial or anything to follow.

You will get an error if the file is larger than 100.352kb. I am not computer smart, just been doing it for decades. Sometimes I can load a too big photo into MS Paint and resize it, making it smaller. That sometimes works. JPEG files are normally smaller than PNG. I am familiar with other apps to edit photos. There are image editing websites. The other issue is keeping the picture in square format. Once you load an image to your profile, you can adjust it. Don't ask me why Kyle Kersten's name comes out of nowhere.

I suspect Lawrence is the profile wizard. Seems to know how to change anything, and often.

• Thanks 1

I think Carradine really shines as part of a duo, where there is a back and forth exchange.  He'd be a catch for TCM and clearly knows his film history.  As far as The Essentials goes, I wouldn't mind it returning but perhaps as a once a month program as opposed to every week.  That way, there would be better film selections and (hopefully) no repeats over the course of the year.  

• Like 3

Keith Carradine was a big hit when he appearanced at the TCM Film Festival, engaging, articulate, and knowledgeable. He would be great on the network, although he will probably still be much in demand as an actor.

• Like 2

Yep! Carradine does indeed seem engaging, articulate and knowledgeable about classic films, NOT to mention his excellent use of inflection while speaking AND has a decently resonant tone to his voice along with good diction.

And THEN add into this mix that he isn't nasally, and I TOO would gladly appreciate seeing him as a regular host on TCM.

(...c'mon now, this is DARGO...you really think I was gonna miss an opportunity to mention "nasally voices" in a thread about people hosting on TCM here or somethin'?!!) ;)

LOL

• Haha 1

Mr. Ben talked way too much this evening. Like Tiffany, the one some many whimper about, Ben can't talk without his hands. I will always agree with you Dargo.

• Thanks 1

I doan know if anyone else has ever noticed it...

but there are alotta times on kung fu when david carradine is playing caine as the shaven headed shaolin disciple and he looks a lot like his brother keith.

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

I doan know if anyone else has ever noticed it...

but there are alotta times on kung fu when david carradine is playing caine as the shaven headed shaolin disciple and he looks a lot like his brother keith.

Keith played "Middle Caine" in a couple of Kung Fu episodes.

tve2753-19720222-1308.jpg

• Thanks 1

Carradine was the first person primarily known for acting to receive the Academy Award for Best Original Song. He won an Oscar for writing "I'm Easy" from the 1975 Robert Altman film "Nashville." 

He also won the Golden Globe after performing the song at the annual awards show.

23 hours ago, jakeem said:

Carradine IS observant. I remember his appearance many years ago on NBC's "Later with Bob Costas." He talked about his father, John Carradine, who played a Southern gambler named Hatfield in the classic John Ford Western "Stagecoach" (1939). Then the younger Carradine mentioned Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holliday in the 1993 Western "Tombstone" and deduced that Kilmer may have been influenced by the elder Carradine's "Stagecoach" character. 

I've neither seen nor heard a confirmation from Kilmer about the theory, but it seems spot on!

Image result for john carradine stagecoach

John Carradine in "Stagecoach"

Related image

Kilmer in "Tombstone"

THANKS.

I thought that very thing the first time I saw TOMBSTONE.  And I'll add that since the Carradines are my favorite acting "dynasty", seeing Keith as a host OR co-host on TCM would be great.  and too.....

Maybe it IS just me, but I don't consider Ben's voice to be "nasally"at all.  At least, not compared to SOME people I know.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

THANKS.

I thought that very thing the first time I saw TOMBSTONE.  And I'll add that since the Carradines are my favorite acting "dynasty", seeing Keith as a host OR co-host on TCM would be great.  and too.....

Maybe it IS just me, but I don't consider Ben's voice to be "nasally"at all.  At least, not compared to SOME people I know.  ;)

Sepiatone

Well Sepia ol' buddy, considering almost every time I bring this sort'a thing up(and yeah, maybe too often), I seldom get a whole lot of amens (i.e. "likes" or "thanks" responses) afterward, I have to admit the "camp" of those around here who evidently don't hear Ben's nasally voice or don't consider it such, seems a hell of lot larger than the camp of those of us who do.

(...and so evidently it ISN'T "just you") 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/14/2018 at 8:50 AM, lydecker said:

What do you think?

Right on, Lydecker!

I saw them also and found them an appealing duo, and with interesting reflections.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yep! Carradine does indeed seem engaging, articulate and knowledgeable about classic films, NOT to mention his excellent use of inflection while speaking AND has a decently resonant tone to his voice along with good diction.

And THEN add into this mix that he isn't nasally, and I TOO would gladly appreciate seeing him as a regular host on TCM.

(...c'mon now, this is DARGO...you really think I was gonna miss an opportunity to mention "nasally voices" in a thread about people hosting on TCM here or somethin'?!!) ;)

LOL

But I thought your favorite actor was Andy Devine, Dargo???

If you want good inflection, you need to hire Captain Kirk!

15 hours ago, Hepburn Fan said:

Mr. Ben talked way too much this evening. Like Tiffany, the one some many whimper about, Ben can't talk without his hands. I will always agree with you Dargo.

I always agree with Dargo too, except about Robert Benchley.