Sign in to follow this  
lydecker

Do You Watch TCM Underground Often?

107 posts in this topic

I like Night of the Lepus, in part because the scenes of the rampaging rabbits were so horrendously done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The Lawnmower Man (1992) and The Terminal Man (1974)** on 11/2

**I have not seen these, and will most likely be recording/watching them.

Terminal Man?  Yeah, might want to record that one, for the benefit of the fast-forward button.

I remember when they showed that to our rowdy all-night sci-fi audience, and...the result wasn't pretty.  Fun, in a way, but not pretty.

(They also showed Lawnmower Man the year it opened, and even then, it was the definition of So 90's.  Now that I've got a Playstation VR helmet, I might go back and snicker at 90's movies' depiction of "Virtual reality".  B) )

A few months ago TCM Underground had a few weeks of Blacksploitation flicks like Cleopatra Jones, Shaft, The Last Dragon and the spoof I'm Gonna Git You Sucka. I stayed up for them from 2AM to 6AM and absolutely loved it. It had the groovy music, 70s slang and some jive turkeys getting the what-for, maybe with some kung fu action and The Last Dragon featuring the ageless Sho'Nuff, the Shogun of Harlem. It's usually hit or miss for me but those kinds of flicks I'll make time for.

Last week was Breakin' and Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo, which was pure cheesy incredibly 80s fun. It's not something I would ever expect on regular TCM hours or on days where they showcase musicals but something I stayed up for just for the legendary subtitle and it being utterly ridiculous.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Hey welcome back (If I am correct here).

It all depends on what their priorities are.  On the plus side they could squeeze twice as much in (but would they really - maybe it would turn out to be 1.5x or less).  On the minus it would stretch out their resources, and I think that is what people around here are considering.  One thing's for sure...if it weren't for TCM, I would have "cut the cord" a long time ago.  And that's a fact, Jack...I mean Jimmy (I think).

I got angry with a member here and removed myself, deleting my account too. Yes, MovieCollectorOH, you smart guy you, it is Jimmy. I made offensive comments yesterday, by mistake, on a thread that has been removed. I am willing to be better, and Jimmy is my nasty evil twin. I want to help make a difference, if it is possible, for my TCM friends.

Of the major streamers I am aware of, only one company, Philo, a skinny bundle provider, does not have TCM. The big deal with some cord cutters is having over-the-air TV. FREE! That is not an option for me. 7 of 8 major streamers have TCM.

If cutting the cord and keeping TCM matters, you are there. I have never tried to upload a file, but here I go. It comes from

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/

Jimmy/ Hep Cat

September 2018 Chart Channel List V2.pdf

6 hours ago, Hepburn Fan said:

I got angry with a member here and removed myself, deleting my account too. Yes, MovieCollectorOH, you smart guy you, it is Jimmy. I made offensive comments yesterday, by mistake, on a thread that has been removed. I am willing to be better, and Jimmy is my nasty evil twin. I want to help make a difference, if it is possible, for my TCM friends.

Of the major streamers I am aware of, only one company, Philo, a skinny bundle provider, does not have TCM. The big deal with some cord cutters is having over-the-air TV. FREE! That is not an option for me. 7 of 8 major streamers have TCM.

If cutting the cord and keeping TCM matters, you are there. I have never tried to upload a file, but here I go. It comes from

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/

Jimmy/ Hep Cat

September 2018 Chart Channel List V2.pdf

I was wondering what happened to you.  It's okay to disagree on certain things while agreeing on others, that is called diversity of opinion.  It seems to be lacking around here.

Remember folks, these titles may be included in the "package" TCM purchases from the distributors. The Underground may be the only place they can fulfill the broadcast requirement.

I never saw any of these movies at the theater, the only outlet for them originally. These titles aren't interesting enough for me to have sought them out at the video store, which was their next incarnation.

Including them as "TCM Underground" brought these to my attention. I record quite a few and have been delightfully surprised, but then again, I love the genre. 

Aside from the few Lawrence already mentioned, the one I recall enjoying the most was THE MANITOU.

13 hours ago, EricJ said:

It's NOT--Motel Hell likely only showed up as one of the "MGM Orphans", as, like "Night of the Lepus", it's been showing up every danged elsewhere on streaming in the past few year or two, as many of MGM/UA's Cannon, American International and other late 60's-early 80's B-acquisitions have.

I'm all for the idea of TCM Underground; conjures up the old 90's "TNT Monstervision", back when Joe Bob Briggs used to host it, and which TNT promoted with clips of "5,000 Fingers of Dr. T.".  But on one of the other streaming channels, Vudu Free Movies On Us tried to spin off their "Impact" streaming channel of rare underground B-movies, and within a few months, their lineup soon degraded to the exact same twelve MGM/UA/Cannon movies over and over.  Including guess-which.

If we see "Lifeforce", "Night of the Comet" or "Return of the Living Dead" show up as Underground Movies, you'll know the orphanage has claimed another movie-broadcast victim.  :(

After Hours, "Kafka-esque"?  Actually, that's a good point, never thought about it that way.  (And After Hours has also been a lot more visible lately, with the new 80's-Paramount wing of the orphanage.)

I just took it as a general "nightmare comedy"--and Marty's got a great sense for comedy that we don't see very often--but CtToI, it does follow the exact same structure of a Kafka story, only played for midtown-New Yorker laughs.  A few years ago, everyone was struggling to follow the plot of Scorsese's "mindbending" Shutter Island (2010), which was so bald-faced and flat-out Kafka fan-fiction, one of the characters in the script even accuses the villains' plot of "That's the Kafka-esque brilliance of it."

Okay, Marty, we GET it, you read him in college.  Still, unlike Woody Allen's fan-fictions of Bergman, Fellini and Chekov, Scorsese could at least create a Kafka comedy...Don't see that every day.

(Posting with my phone here, so I don’t have time to edit your reply, sorry(

1. By “it’s not”- I assume you agree with me in re: MOTEL HELL...?

and 

2. I love RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD and have actually been searching Amazon, YouTube and other places for it. I saw it on Cinemax Late Nite ca. 1992 and it just totally opened my eyes as to how funny horror could be and how even low budget horror does not have to be, um, brainless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

2. I love RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD and have actually been searching Amazon, YouTube and other places for it. I saw it on Cinemax Late Nite ca. 1992 and it just totally opened my eyes as to how funny horror could be and how even low budget horror does not have to be, um, brainless.

That movie is pretty funny; James Karen and Don Calfa are hysterical in it.

• Like 2

I was thrilled to see that TCM showed Scorcese's After Hours. I had seen the films a few times before and loved it. It's one of my favorite Scorcese films. Griffin Dunne and the whole cast of crazy characters are brilliant. It's a great film and kudos to TCM for including it in their Underground line-up.

• Like 1

I watch TCM Underground pretty often but it is not "underground enough" for me.  A lot of films in the 60s and 70s pushed the envelope further than what even today's jaded viewers could imagine, especially in the Italian giallo and exploitation genres.  So I have to look for these films some other ways, such as Blu-rays, even imported ones. 

I recently watched for the first time the 1972 Italian giallo mystery film Don't Torture a Duckling.  It has a scene with a beautiful naked woman seducing a young boy, and a scene of a witch being brutally beaten to death.  Either scene would give the typical TCM viewers heart attacks.  TCM still strikes me as a "polite" film station that would never show a film like this. 

Though TCM has shown Hitchcock's Psycho and its brutal shower scene many times, it would never show the 1964 horror-mystery classic Blood and Black Lace, which has several scenes of brutal violence, such as a woman having her face pressed against a boiler.  This is a film that many of today's filmmakers have cited as a big influence, but sadly TCM viewers may never get to see it.

Non-horror films with what Americans deem as taboo subject matters would also not be shown, such as the 1974 British film Home Before Midnight, about a 14-year-old pretending to be of legal age having a sexual relation with a 28-year-old man, who does not know her real age but nevertheless is put on trial.  This is based on a real case in which the man was acquitted of statutory rape but was convicted of physical assault of the girl during an argument with her about her lying about her age.  I saw it recently on a Kino Lorber Blu-ray, currently still the only available home video version, and was impressed with it.

I could go on.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DVDPhreak said:

Though TCM has shown Hitchcock's Psycho and its brutal shower scene many times, it would never show the 1964 horror-mystery classic Blood and Black Lace, which has several scenes of brutal violence, such as a woman having her face pressed against a boiler.  This is a film that many of today's filmmakers have cited as a big influence, but sadly TCM viewers may never get to see it.

Blood and Black Lace has been on TCM twice, in October of 2016 and April of 2017.

• Thanks 1

Other boundary-pushing films in the 70s that TCM would never show are those by Pier Paolo Passolini, especially his re-telling of classic tales such as The Canterbury Tales (1972) and Arabian Nights (1974), which are filled with sex, nudity, and perverse debauchery.  One of the most well-known masters in world cinema history would sadly be unknown to TCM viewers.

Herschell Gordon Lewis pioneered the so-called "splatter" horror films, but I doubt TCM would show one of his best and most well-known works, the 1964 horror film Two Thousand Maniacs!, which is about a group of Southerners, on the centenary of the Civil War, luring a group of people from the North into their town and torturing and killing them in creatively gruesome fashions.  One scene shows a victim being rolled down a hill inside a barrel filled with sharp knives.  TCM viewers would never see that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Blood and Black Lace has been on TCM twice, in October of 2016 and April of 2017.

I missed those showings, and don't know if TCM showed the unaltered versions of not.  When this film was first shown in US and UK theaters, some gory scenes were cut.  Around that time in 2016, a new, beautifully restored and uncut Blu-ray edition came out, so TCM might have aired that version.

In the #MeToo era, many of these films would be even less likely to be shown due to the violence towards women often seen in these films.  

• Like 1

I completely agree with DVDPhreak in regards to the Underground lineup. There are literally hundreds of applicable titles that TCM will most likely never show. As Tiki mentioned, most if not all of the movies that they show are most likely part of some package deal, and this is a way to "burn them off" and fill up air time. For years myself and others have complained that the Underground scheduling seemed like the laziest part of the schedule, with the same movies appearing so often that we stopped updating the Underground thread in the Programs section of the message boards. But these same complaints are heard about most aspects of the TCM lineup. At the end of the day, it's still better than any other channel currently broadcasting. And even if I don't watch/record TCM Underground as often as I used to, I'm still glad it's there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2018 at 12:39 PM, LawrenceA said:

And some of us like the cheesy ones, too.

1920x1080.jpg

"Yeh, but ya gotta be careful."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DVDPhreak said:

Herschell Gordon Lewis pioneered the so-called "splatter" horror films, but I doubt TCM would show one of his best and most well-known works, the 1964 horror film Two Thousand Maniacs!, which is about a group of Southerners, on the centenary of the Civil War, luring a group of people from the North into their town and torture and kill them in creatively gruesome fashions.  One scene shows a  victim being rolled down a hill inside a barrel filled with sharp knives.  TCM viewers would never see that.

TCM has shown it, and I watched it. 

And now that I think of it, I believe it was shown back-to-back with Blood Feast, also directed by Lewis. I remember recording both and watching them. Blood Feast was somewhat boring. Two Thousand Maniacs!  was just weird, but entertaining in a trashy and disgusting way ... if one can stomach the scene you mentioned, and also the scene where the blonde chick gets her hand cut off.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

I checked my old schedules, and indeed, Two Thousand Maniacs! was shown on Halloween late night in 2008.  The TRUE HORROR (to me anyway) is that I've been saving schedules for years like a truly nerded-out TCM fan and still missed this info (and the one earlier).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

1. By “it’s not”- I assume you agree with me in re: MOTEL HELL...?.

Yyyeah, pretty much.  The gimmick when it was released was "The first tongue-in-cheek slasher spoof!", which is up for debate.

2. I love RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD and have actually been searching Amazon, YouTube and other places for it.

That was my point, about the MGM Orphans, especially on Amazon and Hulu (also considering the original movie was from Hemdale, one of the "orphaned" MGM-acquisition studios, which is why "Platoon" and "Hoosiers" are also cropping up like kudzu every danged where you look):

...Oh, don't worry.  You'll FIND it.  😓  If it isn't on Amazon Prime (and it is), try PlutoTV or Vudu On Us, where it's never not playing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scsu1975 said:

And now that I think of it, I believe it was shown back-to-back with Blood Feast, also directed by Lewis. I remember recording both and watching them. Blood Feast was somewhat boring. Two Thousand Maniacs!  was just weird, but entertaining in a trashy and disgusting way ... if one can stomach the scene you mentioned, and also the scene where the blonde chick gets her hand cut off.

Two Thousand Maniacs! is part of a genre called "hicksploitation" that depicts Southern people as backward and weird at best, depraved and savage at worst (e.g. Deliverance).  This genre birthed a lot of stereotypes about Southern people we see on TV and in movies over the years, from Beverly Hillbillies to even recent children affairs like Hannah Montana.  Two Thousand Maniacs! stands out in this genre in its depiction of Southerners as all kinds of contradictions: aristocratic and yet backward, full of "hospitality" and yet brutal, God-loving and yet evil.  Many of the later hicksploitation films depict them pretty one-dimensionally, such as depraved Texas chainsaw-wielding killers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

This is a link to the 1968 version. I am guessing that is what you want. Just Watch is a great website to search with. Based on the title alone, I'm sure it would open my eyes, and keep them open all night and into the morning.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/night-of-the-living-dead

3 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

With those two back-to-back, both you and DVDPhreak saw the same airing then, during Oct 2008.

Just now, MovieCollectorOH said:

With those two back-to-back, both you and DVDPhreak saw the same airing then, during Oct 2008.

That's good to know. It's always nice to have corroborating evidence of something that happened so long ago.

I must ask:  Has "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" every made it to TCM Underground? Seems like a perfect film for TU.

I watch about half to three quarters of what they present - although I rarely watch if it's a repeat showing (which is the case fairly often).

I do forego most of the disco movies.

• Haha 1