Sign in to follow this  
lydecker

Do You Watch TCM Underground Often?

119 posts in this topic

Resurrecting this topic, because recently I saw a film that would be both  a nice fit for Underground and also a good film to boot. It was 1986's True Stories, and its a dizzy small-town comedy of pure eccentrics combined with musical numbers that feel like MTV videos and a mockumentary style. True, it was a studio release (WB), but the whole thing is just so good natured and hilariously funny too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I've mentioned it before but I prefer when they show the exploitation films and the gory ones with murders. I'd like to see more stuff from Tinto Brass and cannibal movies. 

$_1.JPG

I don't care for the music movies or the comedies or the other movies like those.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

If you’re curious to know if your favorite movies have ever played on TCM Underground, we’ve compiled a master list of titles, all the way back from our start in 2006!

==================================

https://letterboxd.com/mdechirico/list/tcm-underground-titles-so-far/

:)

It seems like I have seen 7: Blue Velvet, Caged, The Dead Zone, Pretty Poison, Freaks, After Hours, and Sinbad Legend of the Seven Seas, which as a main stream animated film of recent datage (2003) is a very surprising pick.

43 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

It seems like I have seen 7: Blue Velvet, Caged, The Dead Zone, Pretty Poison, Freaks, After Hours, and Sinbad Legend of the Seven Seas, which as a main stream animated film of recent datage (2003) is a very surprising pick.

I'm fairly certain that was not what was shown, but rather Sinbad of the Seven Seas (1989) with Lou Ferrigno.

220px-Sinbad_of_the_Seven_Seas.jpg

There appear to be a couple of mistakes of this nature on the linked list.

• Thanks 2

Just now, LawrenceA said:

I'm fairly certain that was not what was shown, but rather Sinbad of the Seven Seas (1989) with Lou Ferrigno.

220px-Sinbad_of_the_Seven_Seas.jpg

There appear to be a couple of mistakes of this nature on the linked list.

That definitely makes much more sense. I can definitely imagine this on underground.

And no, I haven't seen all of them. It looks like I've seen 221 of them, give or take a couple.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

And no, I haven't seen all of them. It looks like I've seen 221 of them, give or take a couple.

They would do well to rerun some of the ones that haven't been on for a long time.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2018 at 6:31 PM, Gershwin fan said:

I've mentioned it before but I prefer when they show the exploitation films and the gory ones with murders. I'd like to see more stuff from Tinto Brass and cannibal movies. 

Wow you sound like a fun guy, Gershwin!

On 12/27/2018 at 6:31 PM, Gershwin fan said:

I don't care for the music movies or the comedies or the other movies like those.

Mmmm, no musicals for Gershwin?😉

• Haha 2

On 12/27/2018 at 5:31 PM, Gershwin fan said:

I've mentioned it before but I prefer when they show the exploitation films and the gory ones with murders. I'd like to see more stuff from Tinto Brass and cannibal movies

$_1.JPG

Saw Caligula during it's first run, was amazed to see such a high brow cast in such a low brow movie. But then again, it was a Bob Guccione production, so I got what I paid for. B)

I keep waiting for you to give us a review of My Friend Dahmer
I read the ummm book, but have yet to see the picture. I hear that it appeals to those with an uhhh, particular discriminating taste. Though not a musical, I'm told it does have a few "comical" moments, a little something for almost every audience to "enjoy."
Sounds like a perfect pic to pair with a
carafe of nice Lechter red Cannibal Chianti and a side of fava beans. ;):)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Wow you sound like a fun guy, Gershwin!

Mmmm, no musicals for Gershwin?😉

Not the Disco ones at least. :lol: 

Xanadufilm.jpg

57 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

Saw Caligula during it's first run, was amazed to see such a high brow cast in such a low brow movie. But then again, it was a Bob Guccione production, so I got what I paid for. B)

I keep waiting for you to give us a review of My Friend Dahmer
I read the ummm book, but have yet to see the picture. I hear that it appeals to those with an ummm, particular discriminating taste. Though not a musical, I'm told it does have a few "comical" moments, a little something for almost every audience to "enjoy."
Sounds like a perfect pic to pair with a
carafe of nice Lechter red Cannibal Chianti and a side of fava beans. ;):)

I have seen that one and recommend it. Luckily it only shows a few animal "slayings" from Dahmer's childhood and nothing more graphic that may creep people out. There are some funny scenes like when Dahmer runs around in that one scene but it is also a very sad, moving film about the struggles of that adolescent age. 

5 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

I have seen that one and recommend it. Luckily it only shows a few animal "slayings" from Dahmer's childhood and nothing more graphic that may creep people out. There are some funny scenes like when Dahmer runs around in that one scene but it is also a very sad, moving film about the struggles of that adolescent age. 

No suitable emoji for a quick response.
I've seen this video at my library, but have yet to actually check it out.
Perhaps now I will, just to see if I agree with your assessment or not? :unsure:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

No suitable emoji for a quick response.
I've seen this video at my library, but have yet to actually check it out.
Perhaps now I will, just to see if I agree with your assessment or not? :unsure:

Yeah but to be serious, it is a really sad and creepy movie. It'll give you more insight into why he was so messed up.

• Thanks 1

I’ve always appreciated the “TCM Underground” warning that informs me the following movie isn’t worth watching, unlike the “TCM Import” announcement, which typically peaks my interest. 😎

💋

• Haha 3

On 2/1/2019 at 2:53 PM, mr6666 said:

If you’re curious to know if your favorite movies have ever played on TCM Underground, we’ve compiled a master list of titles, all the way back from our start in 2006!

==================================

I have watched approx. thirty of those movies. I would guess that I watched about half of that number on TCM Underground. I remember something other than the title of eight of them.

• Like 1

Per that "TCM Underground" list : 304 movies shown (so far)
I believe I've seen 214 (I could at least remember some scenes from them, or at the very least the title appeared very familiar to me). 
Some I remember first seeing when I was a kid on TV.
Some were first seen at a theater or drive-in (remember those?) during either their first or second run.
A few I just checked out the VHS tape or DVD from the local video store (remember those?) at some later time.
But the majority for sure were seen only on TCM (but not always on "TCM Underground").
Of the latter, most I've only seen once (and some of those I'd like to see again).
And of the remaining 90 titles (that I have yet to see) there were several covers that piqued my interest (so I'm hoping that TCM will air them again, sometime???).
So either I do frequently watch TCM Underground, or just find myself attracted to some of these somewhat twisted titles??? :unsure: