Hoganman1

Favorite Robert Mitchum Movie

38 posts in this topic

I've watched several of his movies recently. My favorite, so far, has been OUT OF THE PAST. What's your favorite?

4 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

I've watch several of his movies recently. My favorite, so far, has been OUT OF THE PAST. What's your favorite?

My favorite Robert Mitchum film is His Kind of Women.    I find this noir film to be 'fun' as well as dark.  I.e. it is a very odd movie.    E.g. Vincent Price plays a key character and since he is playing a ham actor he really hams it up.  To me this 'works' in the film and Price ads some very humorous moments but to others it distracts from the plot and associated darkness.  

Oh, and there are very dark and brutal moments as well and these stand out because of how the film is edited.  E.g. going from a very light silly scene with Price,  his wife and girlfriend,  to scenes where Raymond Burr as the heavy have his men beat Mitchum.     

There is also the romance between Mitchum and Jane Russell.    I love their chemistry and banter,  but all of that is secondary to the core plot of the film (which is between Mitchum and Burr).   

• Like 3

Mine would be The Big Steal (1949) with Jane Greer and William Bendix.  His Kind of Woman is probably second, but the ending fight sequence is a little too long for me.  Farewell My Lovely ranks up there.  Others:  Thunder Road; El Dorado; Holiday Affair; Macao; Out of the Past; The Grass is Greener; Cape Fear; The Wonderful Country.

The problem is that there are just too many roles that he did so well.

• Like 2

I haven't seen HIS KIND OF WOMAN as yet. I'll have to check it out. I like FAREWELL MY LOVELY too. He was great in his many roles. I even liked his narration in TOMBSTONE and his "Beef; It's What's for Dinner " commercials.

• Like 1

My favorite is "Out of the Past". A close second is the oddball "Grass is Greener". Don't laugh. There's just something about this film that appeals to me.  When Mitchum gets ultra scary like in "Night of the Hunter" or "Cape Fear", I just find these hard to watch. That is probably a tribute to his effectiveness.

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:
  1. The Night of the Hunter
  2. Cape Fear
  3. Out of the Past
  4. The Friends of Eddie Coyle
  5. Farewell, My Lovely

Robert Mitchum made only one outstanding film, in my opinion, and a small handful of good ones.

Lawrence's five entries are pretty well mine, as well, with Night of the Hunter clearly the best.

A sixth Mitchum film I would add to the list is The Sundowners (1960).

Hmmm...seems nobody's mentioned(and probably because it seems often forgotten) Bob's terrific performance in the picture that would not only be his breakthrough role, but would also bring him his one and only Oscar nomination in...

robert-mitchum-the-story-of-gi-joe.jpg

(...one of the best movies about WWII combat out there I've always thought, as it never glorifies that nasty little business known as War)

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Hmmm...seems nobody's mentioned(and probably because it seems often forgotten) Bob's terrific performance in the picture that would not only be his breakthrough role, but would also bring him his one and only Oscar nomination in...

robert-mitchum-the-story-of-gi-joe.jpg

(...one of the best movies about WWII combat out there I've always thought, as it never glorifies that nasty little business known as War)

Why do you continue to spread such misinformation.   Everyone knows Hoppy Serves a Writ was Bob's breakout performance!

But serious,  I find it a little over the top to say 'playing his greatest role';  Ok that is true when the film was made but that is only because 99% of the other films he was in were in the Hoppy type class.

(with When Strangers Marry and Johnny Doesn't Live Here Anymore being the main exceptions).  

I loved him in The Night of the Hunter and Cape Fear.  It's fascinating to me how Mitchum can be so dreamy-esque in his noir films, and then a total creep in films like 'Hunter' and 'Fear'... and his characterizations are the same! He was absolutely terrifying in 'Fear,' especially in the houseboat scene with Polly Bergen.

(Great, now I think I'll have to watch Cape Fear tonight when it gets dark). 

I also loved him in Out of the Past, especially his "Baby, I don't care" attitude.

He was great in some of his early films like The Locket and Crossfire.  Even though, frankly, I think almost anyone could have played his role in Crossfire.

I've also seen River of No Return, but it's been so long, I cannot even remember anything about it--except for Marilyn Monroe's jeans and the river.

I also loved Holiday Affair with Janet Leigh.  It was a nice departure for Mitchum.

Looking over Mitchum's filmography... apparently I haven't seen many of his movies.  If I had to rank my top 5 Mitchum films based on what I've seen:

1) Cape Fear

2) The Night of the Hunter

3) Out of the Past

4) Holiday Affair

5) The Locket

On my DVR, I have: Where Danger Lives, The Sundowners, Secret Ceremony, Rachel and the Stranger, and My Forbidden Past all recorded. 

16 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Why do you continue to spread such misinformation.   Everyone knows Hoppy Serves a Writ was Bob's breakout performance!

But serious,  I find it a little over the top to say 'playing his greatest role';  Ok that is true when the film was made but that is only because 99% of the other films he was in were in the Hoppy type class.

(with When Strangers Marry and Johnny Doesn't Live Here Anymore being the main exceptions).  

Hey, lets remember here that I didn't make that movie poster, James! ;)

Just used it show my like for the G.I. Joe movie and Bob's performance in it, that's all.

(...btw, and while I know this might sound strange comin' from a dyed-in-the-wool Gearhead, but I've never been a fan of Thunder Road at all)

17 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

On my DVR, I have: Where Danger Lives, The Sundowners, Secret Ceremony, Rachel and the Stranger, and My Forbidden Past all recorded. 

Erase the one in the middle.

9 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

Erase the one in the middle.

Secret Ceremony?

I am honestly trying to remember why I recorded it... I think it was to see the pairing of Mitchum with Elizabeth Taylor.  

6 hours ago, LawrenceA said:
  1. The Night of the Hunter
  2. Cape Fear
  3. Out of the Past
  4. The Friends of Eddie Coyle
  5. Farewell, My Lovely

I'd also add Villa Rides and The Yakusa.

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Secret Ceremony?

I am honestly trying to remember why I recorded it... I think it was to see the pairing of Mitchum with Elizabeth Taylor.  

Yes. It stinks. But I guess it should be seen once just for the experience.

• Like 1

I would probably have to go with Out of the Past. It was one of the movies I saw in my freshman Intro to Film class in college. I don't think I listed it on the Fassbinder thread where I brought up all the films I watched in that class, but I won't go and revive that thread, I guess, just for my own gratification. I guess I prefer slightly more empathetic Mitchum, although his out-and-out evil roles in Night of the Hunter and Cape Fear are also great. I would go with Friends of Eddie Coyle for later-era Mitchum. 

My list of Mitchum faves (I'm not choosing them by how good the films are but by how good he is in them):

1. THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE...love this performance...his laid back style is put to perfect use in the story.

2. TWO FOR THE SEESAW...it's a good change of pace for him, kind of like if he was doing a stage play.

3. CAPE FEAR...definitely chewing the scenery but surprising intensity from him; he really got into the character.

4. TRACK OF THE CAT...Teresa Wright brings out something in him that nobody else does; I also like how he interacts with Beulah Bondi and William Hopper in this film. I feel like he's playing a character very close to how he probably was off-camera.

5. HEAVEN KNOWS MR. ALLISON..Deborah Kerr also elicited good performances from him. He's physically at his peak in this picture. I wish he'd worked with John Huston more often.

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 3.37.53 AM.jpg

• Like 3

I too, haven't seen ALL of Bob's movies, but of the ones I have seen, I find hard to pare down to just one "favorite".

Best I can do is offer a few.....

HEAVEN KNOWS, MR. ALLISON

THUNDER ROAD

THE HUNTERS

TWO FOR THE SEESAW

Sepiatone

On 9/18/2018 at 2:16 PM, Hoganman1 said:

I've watched several of his movies recently. My favorite, so far, has been OUT OF THE PAST. What's your favorite?

"Ryan's Daughter".

Why? Because he is so unlike Robert Mitchum in the film that I was mightily impressed.

• Like 3

1. NIGHT OF THE HUNTER

2. HEAVEN KNOWS MR ALLISON

3. RIVER OF NO RETURN

4. HOLIDAY AFFAIR

5. TWO FOR THE SEESAW

Guess war & noir are my least favorite types of movies, I seem to prefer Mitchum's more hunky "romantic" side. Although "Night" is such an incredible film/stellar performance, it has to be #1.

Aside: My brother (a pilot) is a HUGE Mitchum fan & his fave movie is 1958's THE HUNTERS, a story about flying. I scored a 8x10 autographed photo of Mitch in the cockpit as a gift for him. Brother liked it so much, he no longer wanted the autographed photo personally requested from Mitchum in the 70's...now in my collection.

• Like 2

I finally watched ANGEL FACE from last Sunday's Noir Alley. It's pretty good, but the back story Eddie shared about Jean Simmons and Howard Hughes is more interesting. I loved that Mitchum actually slapped director Otto Preminger during the filming of one of the scenes. Apparently, Mitchum was a "tough guy" off camera as well.

• Like 3

On 9/19/2018 at 3:39 PM, CaveGirl said:

"Ryan's Daughter".

Why? Because he is so unlike Robert Mitchum in the film that I was mightily impressed.

Damn, you beat me to it !  I was thinking, "how come nobody's mentioned Ryan's Daughter ? I'll be the first !"

Oh well. Makes me wonder if not many people have seen it. I agree, the role of the gentle, quiet, passive middle-aged teacher who almost reluctantly marries the beautiful much younger Sarah Miles is very "unlike" what we usually associate with Robert Mitchum.

Although, hold on...his character is quiet and passive. And when he realizes his   SPOILER  wife is having a passionate affair with a war-ravaged English soldier, he's also kind of resigned to it.

"Quiet"  "Passive"  "Resigned"  - hey, I never thought of it that way before, but actually, Mitch clearly was able to discover aspects of his typical screen character in the role of Charles Shaughnessy.

I was always interested in seeing Ryan's Daughter, but for some reason, the film is rarely screened and it's hard to find. I was delighted when TCM finally aired it a couple of years or so ago. I'd always wanted to see it because:             

a) It was one of those films I'd always heard about, even when it first came out (when I was quite young, I hasten to add)

b) It's set in the time of the Irish Easter uprising, when tensions between the Irish and the English were very high. I find Ireland fascinating anyway, and that particular part of its history extremely sad and interesting  ( have you seen Odd Man Out? )

c) It stars Robert Mitchum - - playing an Irish man  !

• Thanks 1

Of course, I love many Robert Mitchum films, and actually Ryan's Daughter is not one of my favourites.

I guess my list includes all the usual suspects already mentioned here, including Out of the Past. I like His Kind of Woman, but mainly, despite james' point that there's some ugly violence in the film, for its comedy. In fact, for some reason, even though as just acknowledged, there is some bleak darkness in His Kind of Woman, especially those final scenes in the boat (yikes, that needle gradually getting closer and closer to Mitch's arm !), I still regard it as mainly a comedy.  I'd list it as an example of a noir comedy, a topic I plan to start a thread about one of these days.

Nobody's mentioned the Westerns Mitch was in, of which there are quite a few. I like Pursued (although the plot is flawed, even a bit silly) and The Lusty Men

And, as many have already noted, Mitch can be pretty darn good as creepy scary weirdo, as in Cape Fear and especially Night of the Hunter. The latter is a truly great movie, pure poetry on film.

• Like 2