Sign in to follow this  
twilicorn

2018 In Memoriam programming

15 posts in this topic

Very soon we should get info on TCM's In Memoriam lineup for 2018. I'm predicting that at least three of these people may be honored with a film at the end of the year:

• Nanette Fabray (the most likely choice; she was in The Band Wagon, which is already a TCM favorite, and they might air that during the marathon and even give it the plum 8:00 timeslot)
  • Vic Damone
  • Louis Zorich (hoping they pull out The Muppets Take Manhattan, which TCM has aired at least twice in the past, once during 31 Days of Oscar)
  • Isao Takahata (TCM aired a marathon of Ghibli movies one year and it would be lovely if they dug out something he was involved with, most likely Grave of the Fireflies)
  • Morgana King
  • Charlotte Rae
  • Margot Kidder
  • Milos Forman
  • R. Lee Ermey
  • Dorothy Malone (maybe... as she already had a marathon during this year's Summer Under the Stars but it wouldn't hurt to have one of her movies show up in this marathon)
  • Aretha Franklin (another maybe; she is foremost remembered as a singer but actually appeared in both of the Blues Brothers movies)
  • Jerry Maren (yet another maybe; though he only had a very minor role he was the last surviving cast member of The Wizard of Oz)
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, twilicorn said:

Very soon we should get info on TCM's In Memoriam lineup for 2018. I'm predicting that at least three of these people may be honored with a film at the end of the year:

• Nanette Fabray (the most likely choice; she was in The Band Wagon, which is already a TCM favorite, and they might air that during the marathon and even give it the plum 8:00 timeslot)
  • Vic Damone
  • Louis Zorich (hoping they pull out The Muppets Take Manhattan, which TCM has aired at least twice in the past, once during 31 Days of Oscar)
  • Isao Takahata (TCM aired a marathon of Ghibli movies one year and it would be lovely if they dug out something he was involved with, most likely Grave of the Fireflies)
  • Morgana King
  • Charlotte Rae
  • Margot Kidder
  • Milos Forman
  • R. Lee Ermey
  • Dorothy Malone (maybe... as she already had a marathon during this year's Summer Under the Stars but it wouldn't hurt to have one of her movies show up in this marathon)
  • Aretha Franklin (another maybe; she is foremost remembered as a singer but actually appeared in both of the Blues Brothers movies)
  • Jerry Maren (yet another maybe; though he only had a very minor role he was the last surviving cast member of The Wizard of Oz)

- Barbara Harris
- Patricia Morrison
- Clint Walker
- John Gavin
- Allyn Ann McLerie

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

- Barbara Harris
- Patricia Morrison
- Clint Walker
- John Gavin
- Allyn Ann McLerie

If they honor Allyn Ann McLerie, they'll probably choose to air CALAMITY JANE.

For Walker it might be something like YELLOWSTONE KELLY or FORT DOBBS.

All of these films are Warner Brothers pictures and in the TCM library. In other words, very do-able.

32 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

- Barbara Harris
- Patricia Morrison
- Clint Walker
- John Gavin
- Allyn Ann McLerie

Ahh I totally forgot to account for those people! Thanks for pointing it out!

30 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

If they honor Allyn Ann McLerie, they'll probably choose to air CALAMITY JANE.

For Walker it might be something like YELLOWSTONE KELLY or FORT DOBBS.

All of these films are Warner Brothers pictures and in the TCM library. In other words, very do-able.

9 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

It's not fair of me, but I saw those names and figured their credits are mainly in TV - and so would not be considered by the TCM programmers.

Dillman was a 20th Century Fox contract star in the early 60s and was in several "A" pictures as a lead or second lead before he found steady employment on television.

Stiers was in all those Woody Allen films and did voice overs in classic animated films, though yes, he's a bit of a long shot.

Gloria Jean is someone I'd pick. And since TCM did include her fellow Universal musical pal Deanna Durbin a few years ago, I can see them leasing one of Gloria Jean's Universal pictures and giving her a tribute too.

Jean Porter was the wife of director Edward Dmytryk and was in several MGM films of the 1940s, which are in the TCM library so she'd be easy to honor, and she was very involved in film heritage and film preservation. So I can see them feeling obligated to include her.

I guess we'll see who they choose. I doubt they'll honor Dorothy Malone again. They also won't honor Tab Hunter again. They will focus on these other ones.

1 minute ago, Brrrcold said:

Clint Walker is not the star of 'Psycho', but he's the only one who remains in the story from beginning to end.

You're thinking of John Gavin. Clint Walker was primarily in westerns.

Just now, TopBilled said:

You're thinking of John Gavin. Clint Walker was primarily in westerns.

I know. Thanks. I edited myself.

10 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

I know. Thanks. I edited myself.

If they honor John Gavin they won't pick PSYCHO. They'll pick IMITATION OF LIFE (1959)...because it's cheaper to lease than PSYCHO, he has a more important role in it, the TCM programmers like to schedule this film, and they can re-air it in February during 31 Days of Oscar.

I agree with the OP that Nanette Fabray will be chosen and THE BAND WAGON will air. That's an obvious one.

For Vic Damone, they will air something like RICH YOUNG AND PRETTY, where he plays Jane Powell's love interest and has considerable screen time. Other options are ATHENA and HIT THE DECK (both featuring Jane Powell). All these titles are in the TCM library.

The December schedule was made available today.

I don't see the usual In Memorial programming.

But they are having a whole night of films to honor Burt Reynolds on the 26th of December:

SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT (1977)
DELIVERANCE (1972)
THE LONGEST YARD (1974)
HOOPER (1978)
SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT II (1980)
BEST FRIENDS (1982)

My guess is that it'll be on the evening of December 29, as there doesn't seem to be a theme night then. They're probably still putting together the lineup.

2 hours ago, twilicorn said:

My guess is that it'll be on the evening of December 29, as there doesn't seem to be a theme night then. They're probably still putting together the lineup.

I considered that too. But look at the films they've lined up for the 29th:

THE YOUNG IN HEART (1938)
KEEPER OF THE FLAME (1943)
DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944)

Do any of these seem to feature stars who passed away in 2018?

DOUBLE INDEMNITY is actually part of Eddie Muller's film noir series. So I think those first two films are for a different theme that hasn't been stated yet. This is not In Memoriam programming.