yanceycravat

How does one make it to 23 having never heard of Chaplin?

125 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

But I guess maybe even 1992 is before his time.

Math class is hard!

13 hours ago, laffite said:

Back in 1980, there was a 21-year-old in the office who didn't know the significance of Pearl Harbor and I was amazed.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

• Haha 2

The basic idea behind this thread is humorous. However I feel like it plays into the whole mindset of "it's okay to make fun of the younger generation and imply they're dumb" sort of mentality. Which if you think about it is a form of derision.

It did cause me to think about how old I was when I saw my first Charlie Chaplin film. Even though I "caught up" on classics when I went to USC's film school (which was called the USC School of Cinema-Television in the 90s when I attended), I grew up in a very strict home where we didn't have a television until I was in grade school. And we were only allowed to go to the movies maybe once or twice a year. This was in the early 80s before VCRs and VHS movies became popular.

So yes, if someone asked me about Charlie Chaplin, I would have been fairly clueless at that time. I also would have been clueless about other big movies everyone else was going to see brand new in the theaters, because my mother shielded me and my sisters from a lot of that stuff.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I gained knowledge and appreciation for classic film by coming to it on my own when I was older and studying it, which I still do even now. Who's to say the 23 year old yanceycravat spoke with recently won't do the same someday...?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hepburn Fan said:

TopBilled, I agree with how this could easily go the wrong way. The above picture from hamradio bothers me.

I'm certain the Amish watch TCM's Silent Nights. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Hepburn Fan said:

TopBilled, I agree with how this could easily go the wrong way. The above picture from hamradio bothers me.

???  What one earth is it about that picture that bothers you??  

...You seem to be easily bothered.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

???  What one earth is it about that picture that bothers you??  

...You seem to be easily bothered.

7 minutes ago, Hepburn Fan said:

Most recently, you do as well.

I'm only bothered by posters who make cryptic posts.

16 minutes ago, Hepburn Fan said:

Most recently, you do as well. It is disrespectful to Amish people. They do not use electricity from a power grid. I just did some checking. TV is not considered one of the items to use any form of electricity for. In other words, everything hamradio said is incorrect. By now, I don't really care if someone agrees with me or not. I have an opinion and voiced it.

http://amishamerica.com/do-amish-use-electricity/

amish-solar-power.jpg

buggy-with-solar-panels-2.jpg

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Not to get off topic but....

45332-amish.jpg

:lol:

Amish-at-Reading-Terminal-Market.jpg

These photos are probably of Mennonites.  They come from the same Anabaptist tradition as Amish, but do not dismiss technology.  They live and dress conservatively, but use electronics.  They keep to themselves.  I've seen Mennonites on the subway and airport.  On most days you can see groups of them at the Museum of Science and Technology in Chicago (well, it seemed like that in the early 1990's).  I've even seen Mennonites driving on Sunday.  The prohibition-era movie Lawless (2012) has a Mennonite family featured prominently in it.

6 minutes ago, Hepburn Fan said:

Perhaps some of you think Newbies don't belong.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't wish for you or any other poster, new or old, to go away, either now or in the past (if you know what I mean). Even if things get contentious on some subject or another, hopefully the aggrieved parties can put it behind them or at least learn to be civil to one another in the future.

And never forget the "Ignore" feature. If someone is a real irritant, it can makes things much smoother.

• Like 1

Ahem...

For the Amish around here (NE OH) the ban on electricity is more about staying off the grid and not depending on outside resources for one's own living.  Decentralization.  In that regard they are pretty much in line with today's "preppers".  Their entire lifestyle is about being self-sufficient.  Not living in dependency, falling into debt, and being slave to the system for the rest of their lives.  Also, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter and Paypal bans don't mean squat to them.

In addition they don't want to boast about possessions, it is a religious oath type of thing, so they do not own cars and don't wear fancy clothes.  They like to work and make money as much as the next guy, but just avoid anything to do with vanity.  Many do have big modern looking houses with complex features, just out in the country and not decorated with flashy colors.  The men start to grow their beards out once they decide to take their religious oath and live their lives in the Amish tradition.

Also on use of power tools and commercial development equipment - they often work directly for home owners or commercial proprietors who serve as the general contractor.  They use power tools and are experts with using heavy equipment like excavators and bulldozers.  They know how to network and have multiple channels all lined up and ready on a day to day basis to rent their heavy equipment.  For instance if they are doing a cement driveway, they have one guy who will drive up with the excavators as needed, another to drive up in a dump truck and haul off the old asphault and dirt, another to bring the limestone for the base, and another with the cement truck.  They thrive on partnerships and subcontracting, no different than any other small to medium sized developers.

We have a large settlement of Amish out here, the Pennsylvania Dutch, and it is common to see them on all kinds of job sites.  Out here they have a good reputation for doing quality work.  There is even a property developer called "Amish Builders" which, to the best of my knowledge and others, doesn't have any significant amount of Amish working for them.  They just latch onto the good name like it is some sort of currency.

• Like 2

I was going to say that I first saw Keaton (Cops) and Chaplin (The Pawnbroker) in a college class--Okay, I first saw Buster on a local-station Saturday-morning airing of Seven Chances with wacky narration when I was a kid, but didn't connect the name...

But do I have to talk about "Witness" now?  :(

• Haha 1

I used to be friends with this guy who would tell me old movies were stupid and black & white movies were boring. I think there is a possibly small percentage of teens/young adults who are familar with classic movies and stars but I also know the majority of them couldn't be bothered with old movies. The younger crowd seems not to care about actual talent but rather how hot or sexy a 'star' is today. I do think if you are a young person who is interested in the film business you should be familiar with the stars and movies including the silent era. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluebirdsfly said:

I used to be friends with this guy who would tell me old movies were stupid and black & white movies were boring. I think there is a possibly small percentage of teens/young adults who are familar with classic movies and stars but I also know the majority of them couldn't be bothered with old movies. The younger crowd seems not to care about actual talent but rather how hot or sexy a 'star' is today. I do think if you are a young person who is interested in the film business you should be familiar with the stars and movies including the silent era. 

Mostly I think that's what happens. Today's stars do study classic films and other stars' work from previous decades.

On the audio commentary for THE PUBLIC ENEMY Martin Scorsese talks about how he had the main cast for THE AVIATOR watch this film with him, so they could get a better sense of the period they would be depicting in their new movie. He especially wanted to make sure the actress (Gwen Stefani) playing Harlow studied how Harlow came across on screen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluebirdsfly said:

A woman where I worked said, are silent movies where people walk fast?  Your friends like the guy in question  are ignorant thinking movies without sound, color, etc are no good.  They need to watch films i.e. "The Passion of Joan of Arc", "Orphans of The Storm", "The Big Parade", "J'Accuse" before judging such.

It's their LOST.

IMG_1386.jpg

By the way will colorizing B&W films make them less boring? :huh::wacko:

Edited by hamradio
Added footnote
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The same way someone over 50 doesn't know who Drake is.

Your post got me in my feelings.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, laffite said:

Back in 1980, there was a 21-year-old in the office who didn't know the significance of Pearl Harbor and I was amazed. This person claimed the usual, "How would I know that, I wasn't even born yet." There was no Internet, but damn ... Pearl Harbor???

:o

I loved Pearl Harbor, but I always got her mixed up with Ella Fitzgerald.

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

I loved Pearl Harbor, but I always got her mixed up with Ella Fitzgerald.

LOL

Bailey, Rich. Pearl Bailey. ;)

(...and here I always got Pearl mixed up with Della Reese...go figure)

• Haha 1

I was teaching a mathematics class to first and second-year university students during the 2000 Presidential election. All you could hear on the news was stuff about "hanging chads," "dimpled chads," etc. One of my students asked a question about a word problem, and it just so happened that one of the "characters" in the problem was named Chad. I started laughing at the coincidence, and just about everyone in the class stared at me blankly. When I then tried to hint about the connection between what was going on with the election, they still didn't get it. After class, an older student came up to me and said "well, that was scary."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Bailey, Rich. Pearl Bailey. ;)

(...and here I always got Pearl mixed up with Della Reese...go figure)

Pearl Bailey? Didn't she die recently? Or was that Bill Bailey from The Bob Newhart Show? Geez, I can't keep any of these people straight. However, I do know Della Reese. I love her Pieces.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Pearl Bailey? Didn't she die recently? Or was that Bill Bailey from The Bob Newhart Show? Geez, I can't keep any of these people straight. However, I do know Della Reese. I love her Pieces.

Can't make up my mind if you're doin' a Yogi Berra or Norm Crosby shtick here, ol' boy??? ;)

(...and now THERE'S ya a couple of names I'll bet even LESS of the kids out there today would know than Chaplin's, huh!)

Just now, Dargo said:

Can't make up my mind if you're doin' a Yogi Berra or Norm Crosby shtick here, ol' boy??? ;)

(...and now THERE'S ya a couple of names I'll bet even LESS of the kids out there today would known than Chaplin's, huh!)

Everybody knows Yogi Berra hung out at Jellystone. And Norm Crosby was great in those road pictures with Hope Lange.

• Haha 3