Sign in to follow this  
Hepburn Fan

Host Replaced Thread Deleted, Not Moved. (Solved)

26 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Hepburn Fan said:

So, who decides to completely delete a thread?

Are you referring to posters or to the moderators?

Probably there were various concerns reported to the moderator who then took action to delete the thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hepburn Fan said:

So, who decides to completely delete a thread?

The moderators do that occasionally. There was a time when it happened quite frequently in the Off Topics. Generally when the thread gets derailed into personal attacks or similar disagreements,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when Tiffany first started hosting...a lot of people couldn't get used to her and they came on to the site to create threads about her. They would complain about her voice and about her appearance, the same things that have been directed towards her replacement. The moderator would often remove threads that bashed the on-air talent. They've also removed threads that bashed Ben Mankiewicz. 

I think the general idea is you can say you don't like a host, so maybe saying you have trouble understanding someone would be harmless enough. But if goes into things like body shaming or making disparaging remarks about their appearance, that's off limits.

There were also threads when people bashed Kim Novak for having too much plastic surgery. It occurred after she appeared one year at the TCM Classic Film Festival. Those threads were yanked. Again, you can say you are not a fan of someone, but you have to keep it fairly respectful. Make sense?

The problem I had with the other thread was that some posters seemed to be lecturing others on how to express their opinions. Obviously some opinions do veer into disrespectfulness. But instead of lecturing another poster, it's best to just put them on Ignore and report any violation of the code of conduct to the moderator. Simple enough, really!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree, the thread was crossing the line, and for TCM, the easiest thing to do would be deleting the whole thing. You make good sense TopBilled, but I've come to see that consistently.

I remember the Kim Novak thing on TV, but I was not a TCM forum member. I also remember Ellen making a terribly rude comment about Liza Minnelli. I believe it was an Oscar's show.

I would have been one to slam Ellen to the nth degree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Hepburn Fan said:

I have to agree, the thread was crossing the line, and for TCM, the easiest thing to do would be deleting the whole thing. You make good sense TopBilled, but I've come to see that consistently.

I remember the Kim Novak thing on TV, but I was not a TCM forum member. I also remember Ellen making a terribly rude comment about Liza Minnelli. I believe it was an Oscar's show.

I would have been one to slam Ellen to the nth degree.

Thanks. I haven't seen anyone bash Liza Minnelli on here. She seems universally loved by classic movie fans, at least on this website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hepburn Fan said:

So, who decides to completely delete a thread?

Usually the Moderator. I spell it with a capitol "M", because they are Godlike, and apparently omnipotent.

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Are you referring to posters or to the moderators?

Probably there were various concerns reported to the moderator who then took action to delete the thread.

Gee, I wonder who could have reported that thread? Possibly someone who sees themselves as the self-appointed arbiter of the TCM message boards, a kind of super-hero who is ever-ready to leap, if not tall buildings at a single bound, at least to the defence of poor bullied new posters who clearly need the noble assistance of said super-hero.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Usually the Moderator. I spell it with a capitol "M", because they are Godlike, and apparently omnipotent.

Gee, I wonder who could have reported that thread? Possibly someone who sees themselves as the self-appointed arbiter of the TCM message boards, a kind of super-hero who is ever-ready to leap, if not tall buildings at a single bound, at least to the defence of poor bullied new posters who clearly need the noble assistance of said super-hero.

I didn't report the other thread. I was surprised it had been deleted. I was merely trying to explain why it might have been deleted. 

The only threads I report are ones that are spam (which thankfully we haven't seen too many of those lately), duplicate threads so the moderator can merge them, and threads that were mistakenly posted in the wrong area.

The moderator decides what action is taken on the threads. I think we have a good moderator system here and I respect the work they do keeping the board easy to read/navigate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

Usually the Moderator. I spell it with a capitol "M", because they are Godlike, and apparently omnipotent.

Gee, I wonder who could have reported that thread? Possibly someone who sees themselves as the self-appointed arbiter of the TCM message boards, a kind of super-hero who is ever-ready to leap, if not tall buildings at a single bound, at least to the defence of poor bullied new posters who clearly need the noble assistance of said super-hero.

Hello everyone

Just to add, for clarification, when we take any action on a thread/post, it's not necessarily because it's been reported, as we review all content.  The thread in question was removed at our discretion, and we are under no obligation to provide an explanation.  

Also, reporting a thread/post may, or may not, result in any action being taken. No report from any one member holds more weight than another. 

We always appreciate when a member brings possible violations to our attention via the report function. 

Thank you all for your help in keeping the TCM Message Boards an active, and pleasant place for all to enjoy! 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TCMModerator1 said:

Hello everyone

Just to add, for clarification, when we take any action on a thread/post, it's not necessarily because it's been reported, as we review all content.  The thread in question was removed at our discretion, and we are under no obligation to provide an explanation.  

Also, reporting a thread/post may, or may not, result in any action being taken. No report from any one member holds more weight than another. 

We always appreciate when a member brings possible violations to our attention via the report function. 

Thank you all for your help in keeping the TCM Message Boards an active, and pleasant place for all to enjoy! 

 

Perfect. Thank You.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Oh, for god's sake. Or actually, mod's sake.  Gag.

By now I could really care less about your comments. I have been at the other end of childish attacks for days now, and I am quite furious over it. If I have done something wrong, tell me!!!

You are still showing disrespect for the TCM Moderators. That isn't funny. What would be funny is if they took this entire forum down, as I'm sure it runs at a loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're right, I disrespect a policy that thinks it's ok to delete an entire thread without even acknowledging they've done it. It's kind of creepy and Soviet-like. By that I mean, there's no transparency, no openness as to the fact that they've deleted a thread. Even if they did what they used to do here, that would indicate a courtesy towards the posters on these boards that I think is now lacking.

What did they use to do? ("They" being the moderators):  They'd "lock" a thread, meaning, nothing further could be posted on it. Before locking it the moderator would say the thread was being locked and give a brief explanation as to the reason. For example (I'm just making this up as typical, it's not based on any particular thread that was locked):

"This thread is now locked. The tone of this thread was becoming combative. Everyone, Please remember to observe the message board behaviour policies."   Something like that.  

Now, often I disagreed with their decision to shut the thread down, but at least there'd be transparency, there'd be an acknowledgement that they'd done so. Now it seems, the moderator (s?) just arbitrarily delete a thread they don't like, and it's as though it never existed. It's "disappeared". 

Why should I "show respect" to the board moderator (s) here when I feel they are not showing respect to us, the people who use these boards? Is this an elementary school, and are the mods the principles?  (don't answer that !)

(should have been spelt "principal". sorry.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

You're right, I disrespect a policy that thinks it's ok to delete and entire thread without even acknowledging they've done it. It's kind of creepy and Soviet-like. By that I mean, there's no transparency, no openness as to the fact that they've deleted a thread. Even if they did what they used to do here, that would indicate a courtesy towards the posters on these boards that I think is now lacking.

What did they use to do? ("They" being the moderators):  They'd "lock" a thread, meaning, nothing further could be posted on it. Before locking it the moderator would say the thread was being locked and give a brief explanation as to the reason. For example (I'm just making this up as typical, it's not based on any particular thread that was locked):

"This thread is now locked. The tone of this thread was becoming combative. Everyone, Please remember to observe the message board behaviour policies."   Something like that.  

Now, often I disagreed with their decision to shut the thread down, but at least there'd be transparency, there'd be an acknowledgement that they'd done so. Now it seems, the moderator (s?) just arbitrarily delete a thread they don't like, and it's as though it never existed. It's "disappeared". 

Why should I "show respect" to the board moderator (s) here when I feel they are not showing respect to us, the people who use these boards? Is this an elementary school, and are the mods the principles?  (don't answer that !)

The fact that you have to ask 'why should I "show respect" says it all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is ridiculous.  The last two posts on this thread have just been quietly sneakily deleted. I have to assume this means we are now not allowed to comment or criticize in any way any actions the board moderators take here. 

This is an internet discussion site, isn't it? Was there swearing or other offensive language on this thread? Racial slurs? any kind of objectionable talk at all? Or was it just a bit of a disagreement between two posters regarding the policies and methods of the TCM board moderator (s)  I think they must have just hired someone new, as I don't recall quite such high-handed deletion of posts and threads in the past.

(are you going to delete this?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In very simple terms, TCM and the Forum Moderators are under no obligation to explain their actions. This is not an Internet site, it is a property of Tuner Classic Movies, Inc., a WarnerMedia company, and under the AT&T umbrella. The posts have been restored. I believe the Moderators are doing their best to accommodate members here, while keeping things under control.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The fact that you have to ask 'why should I "show respect" says it all.

 

No, james, I did NOT just say "why should I show respect"? You're taking my words out of context. If you're going to quote me, quote the entire sentence, which makes my meaning quite different from just saying "why should I respect the moderators?"

This is actually what I said:

"Why should I "show respect" to the board moderator (s) here when I feel they are not showing respect to us, the people who use these boards?" 

 This statement was in conclusion to the reasons I gave earlier in the same post for why I did not like what the moderators now do sometimes, which is suddenly and without warning ( they used to give a warning on the controversial threads, remember?) delete a post or an entire thread, and not announce they were doing so, no transparency. Yes, they can do what they like, but I was just saying that I ( and I'm sure most posters here) would appreciate it if they 1) gave a warning first, as they used to do    and 2) announced when a thread was deleted or de-activated instead of just "disappearing" it.

Having said all that, I do see that the posts that had been removed, the action which triggered my diatribe ( if you care to call it that), have been restored. So thank you, Madam or Monsieur Moderator, for that. I will try to be a model of irreproachable behaviour from now on.  Maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny, I created this thread to ask why it was deleted instead of moved. I have not been here a long time, but still I wanted to challenge the decision. I don't know how things use to be.

So misswonderly3, at one point, we may have been on the same page, asking the same question.

I will attempt to be less like Norman Thayer Jr. (Henry Fonda - Old Golden Pond). I am Norman at 60 instead of 80. Like Katharine Hepburn, I will push back if necessary.

On Golden Pond and Breakfast At Tiffany's are my favorite Hepburn movies.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2018 at 12:30 PM, Hepburn Fan said:

By now I could really care less about your comments. I have been at the other end of childish attacks for days now, and I am quite furious over it. If I have done something wrong, tell me!!!

First off, I'd like to agree with MissW's observation that threads USED to be locked first. This way, we could all see what may have triggered the complaint, the reason, the offense. Even if the thread was then deleted, posters would get an idea of what IS and ISN'T acceptable behavior.

Discussions can get heated!

And HepburnFan, don't allow yourself to become infuriated. It's just an internet message board. 

The typed word is often misunderstood by others, especially using sarcasm. There is a tendency for posters to speak in absolutes (ie that movie stinks!) What I personally find annoying is the know-it-alls, people of zero credentials who are just lonely "fans" obviously trying to impress others.

We've all jumped into internet message boards with enthusiasm, "Wow-there's others who like what I like!" but it's best not to jump in with too many strong opinions until you get the "hang" of the community atmosphere.

I recall PMing a newbie pointing out the gaffe of starting a post with a SPOILER! He blasted me with a nasty PM back. Thankfully, that animosity is over.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received a PM from one of our most respected members, saying I really should change my 'furious' post. I didn't take the advice, standing my ground.

This isn't just an Internet message board. Behind all the made-up names and various avatars, are real people.

I pay attention to post count and length of activity when reading posts. TikiSoo, I can hover my mouse over your avatar, not even open your profile, and see how long ago you joined. I do believe in listening carefully to long-time members.

I had an account before. One long-time member made me angry enough to leave, and even delete my account. So I came back with a creative new name. I wanted to start over. MovieCollector figured out who I was. At first, I was going to play dumb and ignore it. I am the member previously known as jimmymac.

I like it here and missed not being here. I am no longer angry with anyone. I believe to have mended fences with the person I was angry with.

I got the idea of Hepburn Fan from Gershwin Fan. I am very fond of both Katharine and Audrey.

So TikiSoo, thank you. Your post is well received.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

What I personally find annoying is the know-it-alls, people of zero credentials who are just lonely "fans" obviously trying to impress others.

I've annoyed you, have zero credentials, and am usually lonely. However, I certainly don't know it all, as I often demonstrate, and I rarely miss an opportunity to unimpress others. ;):lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I've annoyed you, have zero credentials, and am usually lonely. However, I certainly don't know it all, as I often demonstrate, and I rarely miss an opportunity to unimpress others. ;):lol:

Lawrence you're nuts! You don't annoy ANYONE and I'd venture to say most enjoy your regular "reviews". I often marvel at your dedication, how many films you can actually watch! (could be why you're lonely?) 

It just goes to show that as members of this board we all can find our "niche": Lawrence is our mega reviewer, Ohio is our record keeper, I'm the movie star first home/last home/location tourist! Then we have an entire group of professional aficionados of particular companies, stars & production.

Those pros "in the biz" never come off as know-it-alls, only the wannabes do. 🦄

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Lawrence you're nuts! You don't annoy ANYONE and I'd venture to say most enjoy your regular "reviews". I often marvel at your dedication, how many films you can actually watch! (could be why you're lonely?) 

It just goes to show that as members of this board we all can find our "niche": Lawrence is our mega reviewer, Ohio is our record keeper, I'm the movie star first home/last home/location tourist! Then we have an entire group of professional aficionados of particular companies, stars & production.

Those pros "in the biz" never come off as know-it-alls, only the wannabes do. 🦄

Why do you keep slamming the "wannabes" in your posts. In my opinion the sniping is a bit tedious. Also you have referred to someone you had some difficult history with in a private message. That person probably forgot all about it and about you. Why not just move forward and let it go. You're not going to like everyone on a message board, not everyone's going to like you...we can't control how others approach the subject of classic film. All we can do is find something of value in the whole process or else disengage ourselves from it. 

Anyway I don't think this thread is very productive. Challenging the moderator on why he/she deleted a thread and using this discussion to trot out old grievances or grudges just seems silly in my viewpoint. Just sayin'! 

Move forward already. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I altered the title to include (solved). It wasn't a moderator.

I asked a question and it was answered. Sounds like 'solved' to me.

The important thing to me is the TCM Moderator made the rules very clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than clearly expressing aforementioned multiple degrees of separation from this forum as they carefully formulate each and every executive decision, I fail to see any real discourse, as evidenced by their apparent iron-clad no fraternizing policy.    No palaver means no palaver.  http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

 

On 9/24/2018 at 1:00 PM, misswonderly3 said:

This is ridiculous.  The last two posts on this thread have just been quietly sneakily deleted. I have to assume this means we are now not allowed to comment or criticize in any way any actions the board moderators take here. 

This is an internet discussion site, isn't it? Was there swearing or other offensive language on this thread? Racial slurs? any kind of objectionable talk at all? Or was it just a bit of a disagreement between two posters regarding the policies and methods of the TCM board moderator (s)  I think they must have just hired someone new, as I don't recall quite such high-handed deletion of posts and threads in the past.

(are you going to delete this?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us