LawrenceA

December 2018 Schedule is up

113 posts in this topic

The spotlight is on music. The folks who took the Ball University musicals course in the summer should be pleased!

The evening of Christmas Crime means LADY ON A TRAIN receives its annual holiday airing. Deanna Durbin fans rejoice.

How much longer will Treasures from the Disney Vault continue before they start to rerun titles. SONG OF THE SOUTH still has not been included.

The Burt Reynolds tribute seems in place of the usual In Memoriam programming. Unless I missed something.

Dick Powell fans will be happy some of his best noir is scheduled on the same evening-- the 27th.

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 4.25.12 PM.jpg

A rather lackluster lineup for me. A pair of early 80's slashers on TCM Underground on the 7th (Final Exam and Night School) that I may or may not have seen. King of Jazz (1930) on the 11th, and Villain (1971) with Richard Burton on the 17th. And that's it.

24 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Warren William

Thanks. I think William would've been a more interesting choice as his films are not as well known......

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Thanks. I think William would've been a more interesting choice as his films are not as well known......

I think they knew the results early and that's one reason why Glenda Farrell is the Star of the Month in November. She was in a lot of films with Warren William. So WW fans are actually getting to see their guy in action a month before DP fans.

• Like 2

I'm happy to see Universal's "You Never Can Tell" among  Dick Powell's films. Like LawrenceA said, very pleasantly surprised to see King of Jazz (1930) show up on the schedule - another Universal treat.  Finally TCM really does surprise me when they show both Smokey and the Bandit films in which Burt Reynolds starred - I am happy they coughed up some money to Universal to make those films on TCM possible.

• Like 3

I was sort of surprised at the implication that the 1994 version of Little Women will be making its TCM debut in December. Given how often some other literary adaptations from Columbia appear on TCM (A River Runs Through It, The Age of Innocence, The Remains of the Day, Sense and Sensibility), I would have thought it would have appeared sooner. It was also the final live-action work for veteran character actress Mary Wickes, who had a memorable cameo as Aunt March.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I was sort of surprised at the implication that the 1994 version of Little Women will be making its TCM debut in December. Given how often some other literary adaptations from Columbia appear on TCM (A River Runs Through It, The Age of Innocence, The Remains of the Day, Sense and Sensibility), I would have thought it would have appeared sooner. It was also the final live-action work for veteran character actress Mary Wickes, who had a memorable cameo as Aunt March.

Yes, seems delayed. Probably because they have the '33 and '49 versions in the TCM library they can air with little or no cost. So why pay an outside studio for a story they already have, twice.

But it's nice they did decide to rent it. It's a sharp version. 

53 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Totally agree.  There are Dick Powell films constantly!!  However, I figured Powell would get picked over Warren William since Warren William is less well known (which is why he should have been selected!)

Lawrence, you also are truly on the top with this & other jazz!   Can't believe you got December already

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks Larry. So glad Powell was chosen. It's his second turn as Star of the Month.

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 2.56.59 PM.jpg

TOpBilled, not a fan of Dick Powell-(l904-63) myself, just too dull except 1944'sd MURDER,. MY SWEET (***1/2) & he's yet another of HOLLYWOODS GOLDEN AGE/STUDIO-SYSTEM-(1926-1963) that chose GLENDALE'S "F. LAWN"-(June Allyson was almost secretly interred nxt to him & said she was in love with Powell & Alan "SHANE" Ladd-(l913-64) of whom is also a neighbor in the mammoth park

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

CiunemaIntern, love the Avatar!  Easily ranks-(along with his 1931 CITY LIGHTS) among all-time great cinematic finales!  However & most agree *CASABLANCA is the mt. summit

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks Larry. So glad Powell was chosen. It's his second turn as Star of the Month.

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 2.56.59 PM.jpg

Who holds the TCM record  as STOTM?  Cary Grant, *Bette Davis?

Please let me know

31 minutes ago, spence said:

TOpBilled, not a fan of Dick Powell-(l904-63) myself, just too dull except 1944'sd MURDER,. MY SWEET (***1/2) & he's yet another of HOLLYWOODS GOLDEN AGE/STUDIO-SYSTEM-(1926-1963) that chose GLENDALE'S "F. LAWN"-(June Allyson was almost secretly interred nxt to him & said she was in love with Powell & Alan "SHANE" Ladd-(l913-64) of whom is also a neighbor in the mammoth park

Sorry Spence but I disagree. I don't find him dull at all. He's number one on my list of male actors from the golden age of Hollywood. There wasn't anything Dick Powell couldn't do. Musicals, comedies, noir, action films. He acted, directed, produced-- you name it, he did it!

30 minutes ago, spence said:

Who holds the TCM record  as STOTM?  Cary Grant, *Bette Davis?

Please let me know

All of these folks have been honored the most often:

THREE TIMES

listed alphabetically

Joan Crawford: 1998, 2002, 2014
Doris Day: 1995, 2003, 2012

Olivia De Havilland: 1998, 2003, 2016
Clark Gable: 1995, 2004, 2017
Greta Garbo: 1994, 2002, 2005
Greer Garson: 1994, 2004, 2013
Cary Grant: 1997, 2004, 2014
Katharine Hepburn: 1997, 2004, 2007

Myrna Loy: 1995, 2004, 2016
Frank Sinatra: 2000, 2008, 2015
Barbara Stanwyck: 1994, 2002, 2012

James Stewart: 1996, 2004, 2017
Elizabeth Taylor: 1999, 2006, 2018
Lana Turner: 1998, 2001, 2017
John Wayne: 1998, 2007, 2014
Natalie Wood: 1999, 2010, 2016

• Thanks 1

I'll have to take a closer look at this.  However, King of Jazz and the 1994 Little Women are extremely promising.  Meanwhile the Sunday imports, while all repeats, are all encouraging:  The Bad Sleep Well, Jeanne Dielman, Children of Paradise, Fanny and Alexander, and a double shot of Winter Light and The Silence.

I love Dick Powell, I'm glad he was chosen.  

As a side note, I can't believe that Christmas is only 3 months away.  It seems like Christmas was just last month.  I also can't believe that next month, we'll be starting to find out the 2019 honorees.  Since TCM seems to be in an early movie star mood, with Glenda Farrell and Dick Powell, I'm rooting for Joan Blondell January 2019 SOTM.  The Blue Veil can premiere.

Looking over the schedule...

12/1

The Story of GI Joe.  I'm not typically interested in war films that focus on the war itself, but I would be interested in seeing Robert Mitchum in his first big role.

Beyond Tomorrow.  A Christmas movie that I've never heard of.  The plot sounds interesting.

Noir Alley: The Crack-Up.  I record all the Noir Alley features, even if I already own them--just so I can hear Eddie Muller's comments.  This film I haven't seen and the synopsis makes it sound very interesting.

12/2

It Happened on 5th Avenue.  This is a Christmas movie that is scheduled 500x every year.  I think this year I'll watch it! I've never seen it before.

12/4

Norma Rae.  I am a fan of Sally Field.  I have never seen this film.

Sister Kenny.  A Rosalind Russell movie that I haven't seen yet.

Blossoms in the Dust.  This movie sounds like it'll be really sad, which sometimes I can go for a real tearjerker.  I like Greer Garson and have been wanting to see more of her films.

12/6

All the Laurel & Hardy movies!! 

12/9

Pandora's Box.  I've always wanted to see this famous silent film.

12/10

Una Merkel birthday tribute.  I love Una Merkel.  I'm mostly familiar with her turn as Verbena, Brian Keith's maid in The Parent Trap who "won't say a word," but I've found that I really like her early movie work as well.

12/11

Make Me a Star.  A Joan Blondell pre-code that I haven't seen

Hollywood Party.  More Laurel & Hardy!

Boy Meets Girl.  A Cagney movie that I haven't seen

In Person.  A Ginger Rogers movie that I haven't seen

12/12

Elvis definitely isn't the greatest actor, but I love Viva Las Vegas.  I've found that his films kind of grow on me.  So an entire morning of Elvis movies is not the worst programming that TCM could do.  I'll take these over a morning full of Westerns!

12/13

Twenty Million Sweethearts.  A Dick Powell/Ginger Rogers musical that I haven't seen

The evening of Dick Powell musicals. I'm all over that.

12/14

Isle of Fury.  A Humphrey Bogart movie I've never heard of, let alone seen!

Thank God It's Friday.  Jeff Goldblum in a disco musical? That's all I need to know about this film!

12/15

Noir Alley: Talk About a Stranger.  This sounds interesting. 

12/18

Disney Vault. I do love Sports movies and I love Disney.

12/19

Private Lives.  This pre-code featuring Norma Shearer and Robert Montgomery sounds interesting

The Rich are Always With Us. A Bette Davis movie I haven't seen

Woman Against Woman.  I like Herbert Marshall and Mary Astor.  This looks like an interesting film.

In Name Only.  I love the cast of this film: Carole Lombard, Cary Grant, Kay Francis.  I've never seen this one before.

12/20

You Can Never Tell.  A Dick Powell movie that I've never seen.

And more Dick Powell musicals! I'm all over those too!

12/21

On Dangerous Ground.  I cannot remember if I've seen this Ida Lupino/Robert Ryan film.

12/22

Noir Alley: Beware, My Lovely.  I like the title of it!  I also like the pairing of Ida Lupino and Robert Ryan.

A Carol For Another Christmas.  I just read about this film the other day.  It was written by Rod Serling.  I'd be interested in seeing it.

12/27

The Pitfall.  I haven't seen this Dick Powell noir yet.

Cornered.  I also haven't seen this Dick Powell noir.

Station West. This film featuring Dick Powell, Jane Greer and Agnes Moorehead sounds good.

12/31

Even though I've seen them a million times, I love the Thin Man and That's Entertainment blocks.

---

What happened to the Gene Kelly/Deanna Durbin noir that was originally scheduled in Noir Alley? I think it was Christmas Holiday? I was really looking forward to seeing it and I didn't see it on the schedule.

-Looks like Pick-Up on South Street was supposed to be on 12/16, but that was replaced with Talk About a Stranger.

-Christmas Holiday was supposed to be 12/23, but apparently was replaced with Beware My Lovely. 

Maybe Eddie Muller got too excited when he was making his Noir Alley picks earlier this year.

---

The Christmas offerings seem to be lacking.  Lacking in the sense that I own/seen almost all of them.  Lol.  I'm glad that I have my own Christmas DVD library to supplement the offerings on TV.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Christmas Holiday was supposed to be 12/23, but apparently was replaced with Beware My Lovely. 

My guess is they decided to use the budget they had allocated for that to pay for the Burt Reynolds tribute which required renting films from Universal. Again this is just my guess.

But yeah, it's a shame CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY was bumped. Maybe it'll be back on the schedule next year.

1 minute ago, cinemanut said:

Hooray for the underrated, underappreciated Dick Powell, finally getting some love.

Yes, I am so enthused about this! He was previously Star of the Month in 2000. So he was due another tribute.

My only quibble is I wish they'd included a film he directed. 

TCM's Christmas Tree --

Look who's coming back on December 14, to usher in the holiday season!

tabanga.gif

• Like 5

I like all the Laurel and Hardy movies like Helpmates being scheduled. I'm glad TCM is playing more of them.

• Like 1