LawrenceA

December 2018 Schedule is up

113 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, skimpole said:

I think Leonard Maltin said this is or may be the worst movie ever to win an Oscar (for best song as it happens).  Whatever one thinks of Maltin's other opinions, I'm not seeing other nominees for this dubious honor.

Don't get me started on "Song of the South."

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Hepburn Fan said:

Using the magic formula from another thread, one I can't find now, I was able to change the first weekly link to read monthly instead of weekly. I got the December Guide in the monthly format, except for the SOTM image at the top, which is current. Printing from the TCM page will result in the current guide. I used the print feature in my browser. MS Windows 10 lets me print to PDF, in part as I do not have a real printer perhaps.

With that in mind, I looked at the guide in month view. No details regarding themes. Looking at it twice now, there are a number of movies playing twice in the same month. More than just holiday movies. Can't help but wonder why that must be.

Some themes have not been determined yet. There were four or five evenings without actual themes. I am sure the info will get added into the schedule as we reach December.

7 minutes ago, skimpole said:

I think Leonard Maltin said this is or may be the worst movie ever to win an Oscar (for best song as it happens).  Whatever one thinks of Maltin's other opinions, I'm not seeing other nominees for this dubious honor.

Suicide Squad (2016) winner for Best Makeup & Hairstyling, 

Alice in Wonderland (2010) winner for Best Production Design and Best Costume Design

Pearl Harbor (2001) winner for Best Sound Editing

Just now, LawrenceA said:

Suicide Squad (2016) winner for Best Makeup & Hairstyling, 

Alice in Wonderland (2010) winner for Best Production Design and Best Costume Design

Pearl Harbor (2001) winner for Best Sound Editing

You know you really wanted to add "The Sound of Music" to your list, didn't you?

Image result for the sound of music gif

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Looks like Christmas Holiday has been uploaded on You Tube.  I only watched the beginning of it to confirm that it was the correct movie--the quality looks okay.  At least it's on You Tube so I could stream it on my TV.  I better watch it before it gets yanked off.

I went on Amazon to look at prices in case I got desperate, but the only version available is a region 4 Australia DVD.  You Tube may be my only choice.

It's been on YouTube for years.  It's weird that YouTube yanks some movies, but ignores other ones.

5 minutes ago, mariah1217 said:

It's been on YouTube for years.  It's weird that YouTube yanks some movies, but ignores other ones.

I think it has to do with where they're uploaded from, if that makes sense. Some of the copyright laws are not applicable in foreign countries. I notice classic films uploaded from Russia, some uploaded from England, and some from other parts of the world remain up. But if those same titles are uploaded in the U.S., they get taken down almost immediately.

I don't think the studios or copyright owners have legal "jurisdiction" over how things are used in other places that do not recognize U.S. law.

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

I think you are directing this to the wrong person. I wasnt questioning why you were disappointed about youtube. I never watch stuff on there (movies, anyway). I too, want it on tv, either live or via recording.......

I was just commiserating with you over the disappointment of Christmas Holiday not airing.  I didn't think you were questioning me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I was just commiserating with you over the disappointment of Christmas Holiday not airing.  I didn't think you were questioning me.

Or you were avoiding a direct reply to the person who commented to you..? Seems odd.

On December 9th, TCM is doing a non-primetime, mini-birthday salute to Kirk Douglas. He turns 102 that day.

On tap: "Out of the Past" (1947, co-starring Jane Greer, pictured below, and Robert Mitchum); "Young Man with a Horn (1950, with Doris Day and Lauren Bacall); "Lust for Life" (1956, featuring Anthony Quinn's Oscar-winning performance); and "Top Secret Affair" (1957, with Susan Hayward in a romantic comedy originally intended for Humphrey Bogart and Bacall).

Image result for kirk douglas out of the past gif

There are times I quote what is being said, and it is not a reply to that person. Quoting seems easier than doing a copy and paste of text.

1 minute ago, jakeem said:

On December 9th, TCM is doing a non-primetime, mini-birthday salute to Kirk Douglas this year. He turns 102 that day.

On tap: "Out of the Past" (1947, co-starring Jane Greer, pictured below, and Robert Mitchum); "Young Man with a Horn (1950, with Doris Day and Lauren Bacall); "Lust for Life" (1956, featuring Anthony Quinn's Oscar-winning performance); and "Top Secret Affair" (1957, with Susan Hayward in a romantic comedy originally intended for Humphrey Bogart and Bacall).

Image result for kirk douglas out of the past gif

I think we've reached the point that they do this so if he dies before that day, they can turn the whole day into a 24-hour memorial tribute without much disruption. They were doing this at the end of Luise Rainer's life. And sure enough, she died in late December (her birthday was in mid-January) so they were able to quickly add a few titles to the birthday tribute they already had scheduled and make it a marathon.

1 minute ago, Hepburn Fan said:

There are times I quote what is being said, and it is not a reply to that person. Quoting seems easier than doing a copy and paste of text.

I usually quote when I want to make sure the person will read my reply when they return, especially if it's someone who maybe comes on once a day, or every other day. This is a particularly necessary thing to do in the Games & Trivia section when you can go days waiting for someone to tell you that you've answered their clue correctly. They may not think to check the thread unless they have a notification.

Just now, TopBilled said:

I think we've reached the point that they do this so if he dies before that day, they can turn the whole day into a 24-hour memorial tribute without much disruption. They were doing this at the end of Luise Rainer's life. And sure enough, she died in late December (her birthday was in mid-January) so they were able to quickly add a few titles to the birthday tribute they already had scheduled and make it a marathon.

It'll be interesting to see what's scheduled for Olivia de Havilland's 103rd birthday next July.

1 minute ago, jakeem said:

It'll be interesting to see what's scheduled for Olivia de Havilland's 103rd birthday next July.

Yes, they never seem to miss a chance to celebrate her birthday. Of course, I'm glad about that (because I'm a fan). Any excuse to show an Olivia de Havilland movie is fine by me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I usually quote when I want to make sure the person will read my reply when they return, especially if it's someone who maybe comes on once a day, or every other day. This is a particularly necessary thing to do in the Games & Trivia section when you can go days waiting for someone to tell you that you've answered their clue correctly. They may not think to check the thread unless they have a notification.

I was recently in a situation where it appeared someone was angry with me, due to this quoting process. In my opinion, it was an unfortunate misunderstanding. I see the point of notification. This is text on a screen, and it is easy enough for the words to come out wrong. I have to be very careful and proof my messages two and three times. I need a talking computer, as recommended years ago by the Department Of Rehab. That darned Tim Cook charges too much over at Apple.

1 minute ago, Hepburn Fan said:

I was recently in a situation where it appeared someone was angry with me, due to this quoting process. In my opinion, it was an unfortunate misunderstanding. I see the point of notification. This is text on a screen, and it is easy enough for the words to come out wrong. I have to be very careful and proof my messages two and three times. I need a talking computer, as recommended years ago by the Department Of Rehab. That darned Tim Cook charges too much over at Apple.

I'm fast on the keyboard but my brain is five times faster. So before I "Submit Reply" I am always having to go back over my text and fill in little things I miss because my keystrokes are trying to keep up with my brain. The most common error I make is omitting articles. My brain does not think with "a" or "an" or "the"...and my fingers get tired of typing those small words a thousand times a day!

17 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Thank God It's Friday.  Jeff Goldblum in a disco musical? That's all I need to know about this film!

Debra Winger is in it too.

Jakeem beat me to it...

2 hours ago, skimpole said:

Personal opinion is also fickle, but its also one of only 12 Oscar-winning films on IMDb to rate less than an average of 6, the others being the 1996 remake of The Nutty Professor, You Light Up My Life, Earthquake, In Old Arizona, Marooned, A Little night Music, Harry and the Hendersons, The Woman in Red, This is the Army, One Night of Love, and the 2010 version of The Wolfman.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

Personal opinion is also fickle, but its also one of only 12 Oscar-winning films on IMDb to rate less than an average of 6, the others being the 1996 remake of The Nutty Professor, You Light Up My Life, Earthquake, In Old Arizona, Marooned, A Little night Music, Harry and the Hendersons, The Woman in Red, This is the Army, One Night of Love, and the 2010 version of The Wolfman.

I think the fact that Leonard Maltin hated "Thank God it's Friday" gives me even more of a reason to watch it. 

I haven't seen Harry and the Hendersons for years.  I didn't know it won any type of Oscars. 

Okay, two things. Is September "Change Your Avatar Month?"

Also I asked Google, who knows all, and the claim is an HD/DVR from DirecTV has a way to show YouTube videos, if connected to the Internet. Seems to have been an option for years. New with my Xfinity X1. Guessing you can watch but not record. A TV should be able to upscale a video to better quality.

I too do not like watching anything but short videos on YouTube.

Did a search on JustWatch for Christmas Holiday. No results. The results are probably in real-time, so a movie won't show as coming in advance. Maybe TCM could put the movie on FilmStruck.

4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I think the fact that Leonard Maltin hated "Thank God it's Friday" gives me even more of a reason to watch it. 

I haven't seen Harry and the Hendersons for years.  I didn't know it won any type of Oscars. 

It’s really just a low rent Saturday Night Fever but the song “Last Dance” really is a pretty good song. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hepburn Fan said:

Okay, two things. Is September "Change Your Avatar Month?"

Also I asked Google, who knows all, and the claim is an HD/DVR from DirecTV has a way to show YouTube videos, if connected to the Internet. Seems to have been an option for years. New with my Xfinity X1. Guessing you can watch but not record. A TV should be able to upscale a video to better quality.

I too do not like watching anything but short videos on YouTube.

Did a search on JustWatch for Christmas Holiday. No results. The results are probably in real-time, so a movie won't show as coming in advance. Maybe TCM could put the movie on FilmStruck.

I don't know anything about the avatars. 

As far as Directv goes, if you have a modern Directv Genie receiver, it can either be connected to a home Internet router with the Cat-5 network connector on the back, or the built-in Wifi interface.  All you need to do is have the installer connect it or enable it.  Our installer didn't, but I actually wouldn't have used it anyhow. 

It uses the Internet connection for watching stuff that can be found online (streaming), for "rewinding" certain shows on certain networks after you tune into them (a limited scope type of streaming), and also for ordering from the video-on-demand channels.

The one-way satellite service (without Internet connection) delivers all the regular programming, the on-screen schedule grid, the firmware upgrades and software updates, and account validation.  That is enough for me I think, as I like to keep things separate.

3 hours ago, HelenBaby2 said:

It’s really just a low rent Saturday Night Fever but the song “Last Dance” really is a pretty good song. 

I do like “Last Dance.”  I saw that Donna Summer was also in this movie. 

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I do like “Last Dance.”  I saw that Donna Summer was also in this movie. 

Although many people believe that Summer won the Oscar for "Last Dance," the songwriter was the late Paul Jabara. The sometime actor, who appeared as a character in "Thank God, It's Friday," also co-wrote the hit 1979 duet "No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)" for the divas Summer and Barbra Streisand.

At the 1:03 mark in the following clip, look for Terri Nunn -- who went on to duplicate Summer's feat of performing an Academy Award-winning song. She became the lead singer for the group Berlin, which had a No. 1 hit with "Take My Breath Away." Written by Giorgio Moroder and Tom Whitlock, the tune from "Top Gun" won the 1986 Oscar for Best Original Song.

On 9/27/2018 at 3:27 AM, jakeem said:

Although many people believe that Summer won the Oscar for "Last Dance," the songwriter was the late Paul Jabara. The sometime actor, who appeared as a character in "Thank God, It's Friday," also co-wrote the hit 1979 duet "No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)" for the divas Summer and Barbra Streisand.

At the 1:03 mark in the following clip, look for Terri Nunn -- who went on to duplicate Summer's feat of performing an Academy Award-winning song. She became the lead singer for the group Berlin, which had a No. 1 hit with "Take My Breath Away." Written by Giorgio Moroder and Tom Whitlock, the tune from "Top Gun" won the 1986 Oscar for Best Original Song.

This pic of Giorgio Moroder below is just one I quickly found on the Internet, but you get the idea.  This is him at his recording studio, playing modular synthesizer for the keyboard parts during a tracking session.  Quite possibly the same rig you are hearing on the Top Gun soundtrack.  Off the top of my head he also did similar work on Flashdance: What A Feeling (Irene Cara), and the 1984 release of the movie Metropolis (Pat Benetar, Freddie Mercury, etc).

It sounds to me like the only conventional instrument used here is a gated drum kit (typical for the 80s).  So this may have just been Moroder, a drummer, and Terri Nunn.  Definitely not all at the same time either.

The funny thing about this scenario is that this music was not in Berlin's style.  They (Terri Nunn) had to set aside their creative differences for this, but it payed off.

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Giorgio+Moroder.jpg

With some basic electronics theory and creativity, users could tweak the Moog modular to get exactly the sounds they wanted, or just be surprised.  Due to its size and complexity, it was usually just used for the studio recording.  The thinking back then was it was the most important performance, the one everyone would hear over and over.  So it had to sound interesting.  My how times have changed.

Ok you know how I am with these things.  I should really stop. http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

• Thanks 1