LawrenceA

December 2018 Schedule is up

113 posts in this topic

I think most news outlets run theirs on the 31st only; I don't know anybody on a calendar year schedule who waits until January.

(Obviously, awards shows like the Oscars run in memoriam segments of people who died since the last awards show.)

19 minutes ago, Fedya said:

I think most news outlets run theirs on the 31st only; I don't know anybody on a calendar year schedule who waits until January.

(Obviously, awards shows like the Oscars run in memoriam segments of people who died since the last awards show.)

It's always felt like jumping the gun to me. The year doesn't end till 11:59:59 on the 31st of December. Doing any sort of overview before then is often not going to be complete.

• Like 1

Film Noir Foundation @noirfoundation

CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY will be screening on @NoirAlley December 22nd and 23rd on @tcm Hosted by @EddieMuller #Noirvember #TCMParty

========================================

Eddie MullerVerified account @EddieMuller 29m29 minutes ago

No, it’s not. Sorry.

It was pulled from the schedule. Rights issues, apparently.

We will be showing BEWARE MY LOVELY instead. @noirfoundation

There are still no films listed for the evening of the 12th.

And no theme is on the schedule for the evening of the 29th.

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

There are still no films listed for the evening of the 12th.

And no theme is on the schedule for the evening of the 29th.

For the 12th, I think last year followed a similar pattern where TCM waits to see which films are announced that day as being added to the National Film Registry, and then picks some of these (or related) to show that evening.

For the 29th, one thing that The Young in Heart (1938) and Keeper of the Flame (1943) have in common is that they are both based on I.A.R. Wiley novels, so that may be the theme for the evening.  (edit - Just noticed the TCM At A Glance for December confirms this.)

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

For the 12th, I think last year followed a similar pattern where TCM waits to see which films are announced that day as being added to the National Film Registry, and then picks some of these (or related) to show that evening.

For the 29th, one thing that The Young in Heart (1938) and Keeper of the Flame (1943) have in common is that they are both based on I.A.R. Wiley novels, so that may be the theme for the evening.  (edit - Just noticed the TCM At A Glance for December confirms this.)

Thank you very much. Good detective work!

P.S. The 11th is set aside for the National Film Registry. Will there be two nights?

4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thank you very much. Good detective work!

P.S. The 11th is set aside for the National Film Registry. Will there be two nights?

Yes, looks like on the 11th they will show Registry films they already know about from previous announcements, and then on the 12th select from the new ones.

One thing I've wondered is if TCM has 'inside sources' so they get an early heads up on what will be announced on the big day in December.  For that evening's intros, Ben typically does a sit-down with someone from the Registry, so it would be interesting to find out when those sequences are actually recorded.

• Like 1

Just now, cmovieviewer said:

Yes, looks like on the 11th they will show Registry films they already know about from previous announcements, and then on the 12th select from the new ones.

One thing I've wondered is if TCM has 'inside sources' so they get an early heads up on what will be announced on the big day in December.  For that evening's intros, Ben typically does a sit-down with someone from the Registry, so it would be interesting to find out when those sequences are actually recorded.

Yes, good point. There would have to be something known ahead of time, because it's not presented live.

1 hour ago, cmovieviewer said:

Mid-July? :P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cmovieviewer said:

Hopefully there will be some premieres this year. :) 

• Like 1

It was a bit hard to find, but TCM has posted an article on the 2 days devoted to the National Film Registry this month:

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1454167|0/National-Film-Registry-12-11-12-12.html

Turns out Alicia Malone will be hosting the previously selected films on the 11th, and Leonard Maltin will be doing the honors for the new films that are announced on the 12th.

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

It was a bit hard to find, but TCM has posted an article on the 2 days devoted to the National Film Registry this month:

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1454167|0/National-Film-Registry-12-11-12-12.html

Turns out Alicia Malone will be hosting the previously selected films on the 11th, and Leonard Maltin will be doing the honors for the new films that are announced on the 12th.

Thank you for bringing us up to speed on that! It is very much appreciated.