11 posts in this topic

Douglas Walton, 1930s-1940s actor

Remember Douglas Walton as Percy Shelley (left) in the prologue scene of "Bride of Frankenstein?"  Maybe lol.  

Douglas Walton, Elsa Lanchester, and Gavin Gordon in "Bride of Frankenstein" (1935)

Douglas Walton in "Bride of Frankenstein" (1935)

He also appeared in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931), Count of Monte Cristo (1934), Mary of Scotland (1936), Murder, My Sweet (1944) and The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945).

Douglas Walton and some other guy in "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" (1931)

Douglas Walton and Elissa Landi in "Count of Monte Cristo" (1934)

Douglas Walton and Katharine Hepburn in "Mary of Scotland" (1936)

Douglas Walton in "Murder, My Sweet" (1944)

Douglas Walton and Hurd Hatfield in "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (1945)

Considering that I've watched him in more than 45 movies (there's an estimated total of 60) and have done a considerable amount of research on his life, I decided to create a blog dedicated to him.  Check it out below!

https://douglaswaltonactor.blogspot.com/

I know this seems like boasting, but this is probably the most comprehensive blog dedicated to this obscure actor on the Internet thus far.  It will be continually updated and revamped as long as I stay interested (lol). 

The very first entry is a good start to get to know his life, works, and achievements.  

https://douglaswaltonactor.blogspot.com/2018/08/douglas-walton-aka-john-douglas-duder.html

I know he's not the most famous actor since a good chunk of his filmography were mostly bit parts, but he did had some big roles and worthwhile performances in his works.  Certainly he's mostly overlooked, but I guess that's why I made this blog for him.  He actually did lived a rather interesting and inspirational life, and I want his story to be told.

Anyway, hope you enjoy!  And if you have any more info on him, let me know or you can make a comment on one of the blog's entries!

Thanks!

• Like 4

Thanks, (however that screen name is pronounced  ;)  ) ,

After seeing all those posted pics( and just the first one would have sufficed) I can honestly say I recall the face from many old flicks, but never knew the man's name.   :)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Thanks, (however that screen name is pronounced  ;)  ) ,

After seeing all those posted pics( and just the first one would have sufficed) I can honestly say I recall the face from many old flicks, but never knew the man's name.   :)

Sepiatone

Well at least I did something there!

7 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

Walton played basically the same role in both THE LOST PATROL and the 1939 remake BAD LANDS.

That's right!  He essentially played the same roles in both those movies.  Though I felt he had more character development in BAD LANDS considering that he stayed around up until the end of the film as oppose to THE LOST PATROL where he was one of the first to get killed off.  There was also a small side conflict between him and Noah Beery Jr.'s character in the story.  And I thought Robert Barrat was a bit too...friendly towards Walton lol.

Also I notice a lot of internet sources stated that John Ford directed BAD LANDS.  In actuality it was Lew Landers who directed it, not John Ford.  John Ford did THE LOST PATROL.  I just want to let that out there lol.

I've added four new entries into the blog, mostly of Douglas Walton's tiny appearances in films.  So far I'm just putting out the small roles first as they're easier to write lol; chunky ones will be for later.  These entries also have video clips of Bette Davis, Ronald Reagan, Lloyd Bridges, and Yvonne De Carlo.

If anyone is interested, enjoy!

https://douglaswaltonactor.blogspot.com/

I've added 2 new entries into the blog.  Basically more Douglas Walton bit parts, but one has a clip with Fred Astaire in it and the other is an entry that's somewhat Sessue Hayakawa focused.  

Also I see that The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) will be airing on TCM on October 16 AND November 15.  That's a WEIRD COINCIDENCE!!!  Douglas Walton's birthday is on October 16 and the day of his death is on November 15.  I don't know if TCM did this on purpose or what, but I find this quite unusual.  

1504508245_douglaswaltontcmb-day.jpg.3f8ffe57d21078dda3fad4c7e0c25eaf.jpg

269740382_douglaswaltontcmb-dayimdb.jpg.ab9b0bdb679fc5d9b357480dbd2cdffd.jpg

But for the record, his actual birthday was on October 17, 1909.  Not October 16, 1910.  I know because I looked through many records that confirmed this.  IMDB have to fix this lol.

Also, The Picture of Dorian Gray was my first exposure in seeing Douglas Walton in a film.  My impression?  I remember noting the very subtle homoerotic tension between his Allen Campbell and Hurd Hatfield's Dorian Gray.  That scene was AWESOME!  But to be honest, I didn't think much of him at the time...probably because all I saw was a middle-aged guy with a creepstache lol (I'M SORRY DOUGLAS!!!).  Many years later I decided to look up on Douglas Walton and didn’t realize that he used to be a cutie back then lol.  There you have it, I'm a shallow person.

I really admire what you're doing, rtemilynguyen.  There are so many forgotten personalities from old Hollywood.  I know what it's like to feel the need to "champion the cause" of an intriguing, talented performer who deserves to be remembered.  You're doing a great job.

That's what I like about the TCM Message Boards.  Where else can you go today and throw out a name like Dwight Frye or James Gleason or Vera-Ellen and right away, everyone knows who you're talking about?

• Thanks 1

On 10/17/2018 at 2:49 AM, Wayne said:

I really admire what you're doing, rtemilynguyen.  There are so many forgotten personalities from old Hollywood.  I know what it's like to feel the need to "champion the cause" of an intriguing, talented performer who deserves to be remembered.  You're doing a great job.

That's what I like about the TCM Message Boards.  Where else can you go today and throw out a name like Dwight Frye or James Gleason or Vera-Ellen and right away, everyone knows who you're talking about?

Thank you, Wayne!  I'm trying my best to tell Douglas Walton's life story through my blog.  Probably not a lot of people will read it, but at least the material is out there now.  

Perhaps someday someone or a group will tell the stories and achievements by Dwight Frye, James Gleason, and Vera-Ellen!

I've added 3 new entries to blog just a few weeks back.  These roles are a little more pronounced than the previous entries.  One from a Fritz Lang film, one with David Niven and Arthur Treacher, and one with Spencer Tracy.

Also since today is Veteran's Day, Douglas Walton played a lot of military soldiers in his career (at least 12 roles).  In actuality, he did served in the US Army during World War II.  In 1941 he joined the US Army and trained in Camp Roberts where he was a member of Company D, 76th Infantry Battalion.  He did very well and gained the rank of Private First Class (PFC) in only 4 months since he enlisted.  It usually would take at least a year to get to that point, so he was AWESOME.  He reached the rank of SECOND LIEUTENANT by the end of his military service. 

Thank you for your service, Douglas Walton!!