skimpole

What do you want for Oscars month?

29 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2018 at 7:24 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I say this every time it comes up, but I really wish they'd compromise and make it 31 nights Of Oscar and leave the daytime programming open to the 20,000 films out there that didn't get nominated for squat but aren't total bores.

Or they could just dust off GIGI and ICE STATION ZEBRA and GRAN PRIX again and again and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

Lorna, I'm in full agreement with you here. It's time to make it 31 Nights Of Oscar.

I know I have said this before, but the daytime spotlights in February should be reserved for birthday tributes. It's not fair to people like Robert Young and Ann Sheridan, whose birthdays are in February, to get passed over for birthday tributes every year. It's time for a change, and it needs to happen sooner rather than later.

• Like 3

Oscar month doesn't really matter to me, I just treat it like any other month.  I look at the movies that are scheduled and record accordingly.  There is always something airing that I haven't seen.

With that said, I can understand other people's dislike of Oscars month as there are only a finite group of films to choose from.  I would agree with the idea that Oscar films could be showcased in the evening and leave the day time open for regular programming.

I do think it's funny that they always do "31 Days of Oscar" but show it in a month that only has 28-29 days.  Aren't the Oscars in March now? 

What I think would be nice during Oscars month, is that instead of showing only films that won or were nominated for Oscars, the programmers could build themes around Oscar winners/nominees.  Not every film scheduled won (or was nominated for) the Oscar, but the theme is built around someone who did.  At least that would open up the schedule to include more programming.  E.g., Gene Tierney was nominated for Leave Her to Heaven, which could be scheduled, but we could also have other films of hers scheduled like: Heaven Can Wait, Laura, Dragonwyck, Night and the City, and Whirlpool.  

2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I do think it's funny that they always do "31 Days of Oscar" but show it in a month that only has 28-29 days.  Aren't the Oscars in March now? 

It used to be the last Sunday in February (and thus, close to my birthday, which is why I recall it) or the first Sunday in March, but they are supposedly moving it up a few weeks either this year or next.

On 9/30/2018 at 12:08 AM, LawrenceA said:

I'd like to see these two, but I ain't holdin' my breath.

I would like to see them too. East Lynne and The White Parade are the last 2 left on my Oscar nominated Best Picture project. When TCM showed Skippy earlier in the year, I finally "finished".