Sign in to follow this  
Spritz Nipper

Movie Poster Libel

92 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, but ya gotta admit the artist sure got Asta's better features down pretty well here anyway, CG!

AND, little Dickie Hall there probably never looked better than he does there either, for that matter. And especially after he went through those awkward adolescent years like all kid actor do.

(...well, except of course for Liz and Natalie) ;)

Apologies for spelling Seyffertitz wrong in my initial post!

Yes, Asta looks simply darling, Dargo as you say and the kiddie too. I do have some sympathy for anyone doing a portrait, since I've had some strange requests in my day. One lady told me to make sure her hubby's eyes in the portrait were "sparkling". Another woman said she wanted to have only one chin, instead of the three she really had in reality in her painting. Some might be around 75 years young, but bring in a photo to follow along with the sitting, which was taken when they were graduating college. Balding men often ask for a non-receding hairline, and those with bad teeth want the smile of Jeanette MacDonald. Some folks who are built like Sydney Greenstreet want the physique of Tyrone Power and it goes on and on.

Frankly, the best portrait artists I feel can be true to nature and yet, somehow compliment their subject in non-false ways. It's a tough row to hoe though...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

I'd blame the bad airbrushing technique on this one. Nice hair waves though...

ab30a26b399c37d9686f47cbd7400844.jpg

Okay, and maybe it IS that hair you're speaking of here CG, but somehow I'm kind's seein' more a Shirley Temple who's gone through one of those child beauty pageant makeup jobs kind'a things here than I am Myrna.

On 9/27/2018 at 11:55 AM, Dargo said:

Oh now, I'll have to disagree with you about the choice of John's blush color, Dearie.

(...I think it's just FABULOUS!)

Double chins are hard to disguise in portraits and so are odd angles, like shots being taken from below the chin, but by far the hardest people to draw are...babies!

Now the Gerber baby is marvelous, and so are ones by Maude Humphrey, but some artists just don't get it, and the poor bald things start looking like Edmund Gwenn. I think some artists start putting in lines on the poor infant's face and it is best to be very simplistic in depicting a baby. Let's see some movie posters with Baby Leroy on them for comparison! I hope he and W.C. Fields don't look to be about the same age, as Fields had a rather baby face, with a really enlarged proboscis though...

4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Okay, and maybe it IS that hair you're speaking of here CG, but somehow I'm kind's seein' more a Shirley Temple who's gone through one of those child beauty pageant makeup jobs kind'a things here than I am Myrna.

Seriously, Dargo, your lack of attention to detail is appalling. Everyone knows that Shirley had exactly 56 curls in her signature hairdo, and do not think Myrna's hair looks like that at all, with the barrel rolled type of style. It is more of a marcelled look, that went awry being that Myrna probably had more hair than most.

I will say that in the poster, Myrna's hair does look like Honey Boo Boo's from a low rent beauty pageant though, so I can dig it. That or a tame version of Carrot Top's look?

3 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Double chins are hard to disguise in portraits and so are odd angles, like shots being taken from below the chin, but by far the hardest people to draw are...babies!

Now the Gerber baby is marvelous, and so are ones by Maude Humphrey, but some artists just don't get it, and the poor bald things start looking like Edmund Gwenn. I think some artists start putting in lines on the poor infant's face and it is best to be very simplistic in depicting a baby. Let's see some movie posters with Baby Leroy on them for comparison! I hope he and W.C. Fields don't look to be about the same age, as Fields had a rather baby face, with a really enlarged proboscis though...

Here ya go...

its-a-gift-movie-poster-1934-1020143391.

Seems the artist in this case knew what you meant about this.

17 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Myrna looks like she gave herself a bad spray tan--like that episode of Friends when Ross gets a spray tan 3x on the front side of his body--because he didn't understand how the booth worked.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Here ya go...

WC Fields in this poster looks like Karl Malden if he decided to join the vaudeville circuit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/27/2018 at 12:10 PM, Spritz Nipper said:

I assume this is the poster that you're referring to.

MV5BYmVlMDRlZjgtYjRkMy00YmZlLWI5ODEtNGM5

If McCarthy stands up, I hope he is wearing a really long tie...like Trump always does.

18 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Here ya go...

Yay!

How cute. Can't say the artist is that great but at least Leroy looks young and Fields looks...well, a bit discombobulated. Looks like it's done in possibly opaque watercolor.

3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Myrna looks like she gave herself a bad spray tan--like that episode of Friends when Ross gets a spray tan 3x on the front side of his body--because he didn't understand how the booth worked.

She should have counted Mississippi-lessly.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 12:23 PM, Dargo said:

Okay, on the flip-side of BAD movie posters that do nothing in flattering the lead actress in a movie, I now bring you(somewhat tongue-in-cheek) one that does a GREAT job in making her look even BETTER!

Now, here (supposedly) is actress Claudia Barrett in...

robot-monster-poster.jpg

...and HERE she is in shot from that flick...

giphy.gif

(...she sure looks a lot better in the poster, now wouldn't ya agree?!)

;)

Maybe you should admit, Dargo as a member of the Claudia Barrett Foot Fetish Fan Club that the real reason you don't care for this photo with the monster is due to her tootsies being encased in shoe apparel?

Admit it, you were hoping for a glance to see if her Babinski Reflex was operating in full regalia!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Maybe you should admit, Dargo as a member of the Claudia Barrett Foot Fetish Fan Club that the real reason you don't care for this photo with the monster is due to her tootsies being encased in shoe apparel?

Admit it, you were hoping for a glance to see if her Babinski Reflex was operating in full regalia!

No, actually CG, being a member of the Claudia Barrett High Heel Fetish Fan Club (and where our motto is: "Open or closed toe high heels, makes no difference. Just show us her sportin' some kind'a high heels in her movies, that's all we ask"), her wearing those high heels sandals there wasn't the reason I think the poster makes her look "hotter".

(...kinky, huh?!) ;)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dargo said:

0003eBay.jpg

I'm only posting this one not so much because of any injustice done to MM here, but solely because whoever the french artist was(as this poster appears to be for french movie audiences) that painted THIS poster surely could have double-checked the spelling of Miss Peters' first name before he took brush in hand.

Nope, as far as I know, Jean Peters (and who btw, always did a heck of lot more for me than Marilyn ever did...but then again by now I think you folks know how much more I've always gone for brunettes than I ever have blondes, real or bleached...but I digress) never ever went by the name "Jeanne Peters", and yet Frenchy Boy artist here whoever he was, has MM's and Joseph Cotten's names spelled correctly.

Dargo, obviously that artist was Frenchifying her name, so people would know Jean was a female. Otherwise people in France might have thought it was another French male actor like Jean Gabin.

So now, putting extra "n"s and "e"s is also gonna be a bugaboo of yours just like the superfluous "u" thingie?

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

No, actually CG, being a member of the Claudia Barrett High Heel Fetish Fan Club (and where our motto is: "Open or closed toe high heels, makes no difference. Just show us her sportin' some kind'a high heels in her movies, that's all we ask"), her wearing those high heels sandals there wasn't the reason I think the poster makes her looks "hotter".

(...kinky, huh?!) ;)

Huh? I think I lost contact with reality while reading that post.

I'm sure you are a big fan of the Fredericks of Hollywood catalog though after that mind-boggling and extrapolated explanation...haha!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Dargo, obviously that artist was Frenchifying her name, so people would know Jean was a female. Otherwise people in France might have thought it was another French male actor like Jean Gabin.

So now, putting extra "n"s and "e"s is also gonna be a bugaboo of yours just like the superfluous "u" thingie?

LOL

Yeah, YEAH! You know, this could just BE my next "lexicological crusade" around here, come to think of it! ;)

(...btw...your supposition for the French artist to have misspelled Jean's name might just be right)

• Thanks 1

Behind her left ankle, partially visible behind the last "a" in the title.

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Behind her left ankle, partially visible behind the last "a" in the title.

Right, but if you look under the 'a', it seems that she has no toes.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Spritz Nipper said:

0003eBay.jpg

Speaking of, where is Marilyn's right foot in this poster?

Never mind that, I'm wondering what Gregory Peck is doing to Joan Crawford in the background.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Off-topic, but this foreign poster for Big Jim McLain is incredible. According to Wikipedia, "In some European markets the film was retitled as Marijuana and dispensed with the communist angle, making the villains drug dealers instead. This was achieved entirely through script changes and dubbing."

z5687143.jpg

36 minutes ago, Spritz Nipper said:

Off-topic, but this foreign poster for Big Jim McLain is incredible. According to Wikipedia, "In some European markets the film was retitled as Marijuana and dispensed with the communist angle, making the villains drug dealers instead. This was achieved entirely through script changes and dubbing."

Interesting info here, SN.

(...btw...really like your latest Myrna avatar gif here)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spritz Nipper said:

z5687143.jpg

That's an Italian production. Maybe they should have replaced Wayne with Steve Reeves.

24 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

That's an Italian production. Maybe they should have replaced Wayne with Steve Reeves.

Yeah, but wouldn't they then had to have further changed the title of that movie to...

Marijuana Unchained ?

5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, but wouldn't they then had to have further changed the title of that movie to...

Marijuana Unchained ?

Or Fistful Of Marijuana.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Marijuana Unchained ?

Maybe ... and get rid of Nancy Olson and replace her with Sylva Koscina ... now we're talking

• Like 1
  • Haha 1