Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

PRIEST (1994)

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone seen this film? I haven't. But there are some clips of it on YouTube.

Hard to believe it's been almost 25 years since it was released.

I'm not sure why I've never taken the time to watch it. Maybe Roger Ebert's review kept me away. Ebert gave it one out of four stars, pointing out its exploitation of issues like celibacy, homosexuality and child abuse. 

I do love the six-part series Broken starring Sean Bean which I think covers some of the same ground.

• Like 1

"Priest" is a superb film.

You should see it.

But it does break a lot of new ground.

A gay priest?

That possibility is more truth than fiction today.  

priest-film.jpg

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rayban said:

"Priest" is a superb film.

You should see it.

But it does break a lot of new ground.

A gay priest?

That possibility is more truth than fiction today.  

priest-film.jpg

The actor's name is Linus Roache. His father is Bill Roache who's been on the British soap Coronation Street for 58 years. Linus Roache's mother, Anna Cropper, was a well-known stage actress. So I'm sure with his background, natural acting talent and handsome looks he's very effective in this film.

From what I've read PRIEST was quite controversial. The Catholic church in Ireland tried to prevent its release to the moviegoing public. PRIEST found favor with critics (except Ebert) and was up for Best Picture at the BAFTAs.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

The actor's name is Linus Roache. His father is Bill Roache who's been on the British soap Coronation Street for 58 years. Linus Roache's mother, Anna Cropper, was a well-known stage actress. So I'm sure with his background, natural acting talent and handsome looks he's very effective in this film.

From what I've read PRIEST was quite controversial. The Catholic church in Ireland tried to prevent its release to the moviegoing public. PRIEST found favor with critics (except Ebert) and was up for Best Picture at the BAFTAs.

I could never forget Linus Roache in "Priest".

"The Wings Of The Dove" - Linus Roache, Helena Bonham Carter, and Alison Elliott - one of the great love stories - 1997 -

MV5BMTM5NTI5NDI5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTA5

Linus Roache as Merton Densher -

linus-roache-the-wings-of-the-dove-1997-

• Like 1

"Priest" a is a very good film with some compelling views on the sexuality if priest both gay and straight and the hypocrisy of the Catholic Church-a must see

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jaragon said:

"Priest" a is a very good film with some compelling views on the sexuality if priest both gay and straight and the hypocrisy of the Catholic Church-a must see

It seems to have become a forgotten film. I don't think it's ever aired on TCM. 

What I find interesting is it was directed by a woman.

Earlier in the thread I compared PRIEST to Broken. This was before I discovered the same guy (Jimmy McGovern) is responsible for writing PRIEST and Broken. So no wonder I wanted to compare the two projects, because the similarities seem quite obvious and we have a writer who was revisiting the subject in a later work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

It seems to have become a forgotten film. I don't think it's ever aired on TCM. 

What I find interesting is it was directed by a woman.

Earlier in the thread I compared PRIEST to Broken. This was before I discovered the same guy (Jimmy McGovern) is responsible for writing PRIEST and Broken. So no wonder I wanted to compare the two projects, because the similarities seem quite obvious and we have a writer who was revisiting the subject in a later work.

The film was controversial when it was released. It should not be forgotten

• Like 2

I like Linus Roache alot. Of course he became known in America due to his recurring role on Law & Order, but I had seen him in his early days, when he was a young actor with the Royal Shakespeare Company and other companies. He was quite wonderful as Edgar in King Lear; in The Deep Blue Sea; and most particularly as Don Juan in The Last Days of Don Juan (by Tirso De Molina, the play from which the character of Don Juan originates); and as Caius/Martius in Titus Andronicus.

He once emailed me about working on a project with a friend of his, but I was unable to work on it at that time.

• Like 3