cinecrazydc

Ted Turner

12 posts in this topic

I read the news today that Ted Turner has a brain disease known as Lewy body dementia.  While I realize that Ted long ago sold his interest in TCM to Time Warner, the TCM channel was his brainchild and I think he deserves to be acknowledged at the festival on opening night.  Given the status of his health, I am not sure if he would be able (or willing) to come to the festival even if invited.  But I think he should be given the appropriate credit for having the foresight to preserve classic films and get the channel off to a great start in 1994.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/09/29/ted-turner-billionaire-founder-cnn-battling-brain-disease.html

• Like 4

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:28 AM, cinecrazydc said:

I read the news today that Ted Turner has a brain disease known as Lewy body dementia.  While I realize that Ted long ago sold his interest in TCM to Time Warner, the TCM channel was his brainchild and I think he deserves to be acknowledged at the festival on opening night.  Given the status of his health, I am not sure if he would be able (or willing) to come to the festival even if invited.  But I think he should be given the appropriate credit for having the foresight to preserve classic films and get the channel off to a great start in 1994.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/09/29/ted-turner-billionaire-founder-cnn-battling-brain-disease.html

Unfortunately, I've known about it for a few months. It was evident on a Jane Fonda docu

Not certain of his age though, maybe 81 or older?   Someone us TCM-ITES are fond of, as was her legendary husband *PAUL NEWMAN-(l925-2008) *JOANNE WOODWARD-(l930-) is not doing well from same condition!

She was very first star to be given a STAR on HOLLYWOODS WALK-Of-FAME too!

5 minutes ago, looney4tcm said:

Thanks Ted and thanks Time Warner for keeping it commercial free.  Keep supporting TCM merchandise.

TCM is a subsidiary of AT&T's WarnerMedia. 

Hopefully little to nothing changes but sadly AT&T has a history of making changes when it takes over a brand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't realize AT&T was connected to Time Warner.  I do NOT say the following lightly or recklessly:  I have observed first hand AT&T incrementally, systematically break down, ruin and now destroy Directv.  I've spoken to many of the Directv employees and contractors to confirm my suspicions.  Hopefully TCM will give the higher level bosses a chance to redeem themselves.

3 minutes ago, looney4tcm said:

I didn't realize AT&T was connected to Time Warner.  I do NOT say the following lightly or recklessly:  I have observed first hand AT&T incrementally, systematically break down, ruin and now destroy Directv.  I've spoken to many of the Directv employees and contractors to confirm my suspicions.  Hopefully TCM will give the higher level bosses a chance to redeem themselves.

One of my closes friends works for DirectTV and did so before AT&T purchased them and your suspicions are on-target.

Hopefully TCM,  being such a small-fry (among the many companies owned by AT&T),  goes under the radar.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Ghost Host said:

I wonder if TCM Wine Club ads are related to AT&T taking over

TCM had those ads before the take over.

• Thanks 2

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:28 AM, cinecrazydc said:

He;s now had it about 3yrs now. Jane Fonda recently had a special on HBO & included him in it.

There are many new meds to slow it down though    Alzheimers is a smaller form on Dementia

I see where it's mainly caused by lack of oxygen to the grain, lack of sleep & genetics

"IT'S THE ONE DISEASE WE SON'T LOOK WORWARD TO BEING CURED OF"

• Thanks 1

I don't see how Time Warner (or whatever conglomeration is taking over) would want to run a no commercial format. Maybe it is why TCM has branched out with books and video and a wine club. There are also many films that I would never consider as being classic, that are being shown. I have nothing but respect for Ted Turner.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 1:10 PM, looney4tcm said:

Thanks Ted and thanks Time Warner for keeping it commercial free.  Keep supporting TCM

He made it possible for all ages enjoyed movies without commercials 

• Like 2