Sign in to follow this  
Hibi

R.I.P. Janet

17 posts in this topic

I just wanted to post here that one of our posters, Janet, passed away this past wknd. She posted under MCannady1. She had been ill since summer, but had other health issues for some time. She was a sweet, nice lady who it was my privilege to know, I'm only sorry it was for a short time (about 2 years) She loved old movies and was a very generous friend. I'm sure she communicated with some other people here, so I wanted to post this. I miss her very much. Please say a few prayers for her and her family if you are so inclined. 

• Thanks 9
  • Sad 11

It's always very sad when one of the regular posters here dies. And often we don't even know about it, so at least this time we know what happened with Janet aka MCannady. I remember her, she was nice and she did know and love old movies.

Thank you for letting us know about her passing, Hibi. Good wishes to her family and friends.

I chatted with her several times, and she always seemed to stay so positive and upbeat despite her heath issues. I'm very sorry to hear about her passing, and only hope that she's found peace and relief. She'll be missed.

• Like 2

She was the lady who was a big fan of James Mason, was she not?

However, even if I've mistaken her for other around here, I'm sorry to hear this news.

(...R.I.P., Janet...you will be missed)

Thank you Hibi for the news.  I'm not sure if I ever interacted with her directly, but I do remember some of her posts.  R.I.P.

My friendship with Janet and her husband Marshall began on this site two and a half years ago. I think it started with Janet sending me a private message because she could see I was fan of British melodramas. She wanted to share some James Mason films she had, examples of good British melodramas. I was in the process of moving and asked her to wait to send them to my new address. Her husband Marshall was the one who made the copies of the films and sent them to me.

It was nice to have those films when I got to the new place, and of course I messaged her back and thanked her. But with Janet, that was just the start of her generosity. During the course of the next two years she had Marshall send me all kinds of rare films-- Sylvia Sidney titles from the 30s, Gladys Swarthout musicals (rare Paramount stuff), you name it, she sent it. The best thing she ever sent me was a rare copy of LETTY LYNTON which is still not available anywhere. She got it from some guy in Sweden she traded with...and though the visual quality wasn't the best, it was just such a treat to finally see it. 

She suffered from excruciating spinal pain. She said it had started when she was a child and became worse as an adult. She always had ongoing physical therapy. At the time I had a yoga injury with my left knee, and we shared stories about our physical therapy. I did a lot of swimming to recover from my injury. She did walking, which was a big deal for her, because I think sometimes her pain was so great she couldn't get out of the house very much. We also shared stories about our mothers. Let's just say we both did not have very nice mothers. It was another form of "therapy" for us to talk about some of that. 

There was a period where maybe she wasn't on the boards for a few months. And one day I had come across a beautiful review she wrote on the IMDb. It made me proud to be her friend. She had a wonderful way of looking at films. They meant the world to her, and I am sure being on TCM's message boards meant the world to her as well, because this was the place where she found kindred souls to discuss the things she enjoyed. Janet was one of the quiet unassuming greats. She added immeasurably to those she came into contact with her. A blessing to everyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I cant remember how exactly we came in contact. But it just grew and we became friends very quickly. She was extremely generous, sending me copies of all kinds of films (stuff that never appears on TCM) and books too. We commiserated over our various health issues and our lives and I came to know her rather well in a short amount of time. She loved films and loved sharing with others. I really miss hearing from her. Many thanks to her husband for keeping me informed these last months. She deserved a much better life. But life, as we know, is not fair. :( 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I cant remember how exactly we came in contact. But it just grew and we became friends very quickly. She was extremely generous, sending me copies of all kinds of films (stuff that never appears on TCM) and books too. We commiserated over our various health issues and our lives and I came to know her rather well in a short amount of time. She loved films and loved sharing with others. I really miss hearing from her. Many thanks to her husband for keeping me informed these last months. She deserved a much better life. But life, as we know, is not fair. :( 

I'm glad you mentioned the books. I didn't get any books from her, but I did get old movie magazines from her. She would always ask "do you like so and so?" and "have you ever seen such and such." Then based on the replies I gave, within a week there would be new treasures from her in the mailbox. I don't think we'll come across anyone like her again. She was a unique and special lady. Rest in peace, dear Janet.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the news, Hibi... And thank you for all of your wonderful posts on this site, Janet. Rest easy. ❤️

Hibi I’m sorry about your loss. I remember the name but I guess I never interacted with her. I hope her family finds peace. 

I'm sorry to hear about Janet's passing.  While I wasn't on a first-name basis with her and never traded anything back and forth, I did enjoy her postings and her obvious enthusiasm for classic film.  Rest in peace Janet.  I hope you find the comfort that eluded you on Earth.

McCannady was always a great forum member & her posts were enjoyable to read. What a nice person, thanks to all who posted personal stories of her generosity.

Her positive presence will be missed, RIP.

I wanted to share a review Janet wrote over a year ago and posted on the IMDb. You really get a sense of her writing style and her love for classic Hollywood. It's very personal for her. The part I've highlighted in bold also seems to apply to Janet herself:

The Gale Storm Show
I watched this show in the late 50's when I was starting school. In first grade I developed a love for all of the characters. My favorite show of all time is now My Little Margie, but Gale Storm Show is a close second. The people, the classy acts and Gale's wonderful singing voice really made it superior.

In recent years, in 2005, I discovered Gale was going to be at a movie seminar that featured 50's and 60's greats. My husband brought me and after nearly 50 years, I finally met my idol! Jane Russell, Ed Byrnes, Noel Niell and Kathy Garver were some of the other greats, but Gale was the one I wanted to meet especially. I had been so inspired by her great personality and timeless quality. What a marvelous experience! After that, I joined the Gale Storm Appreciation Society and discovered there were many people who still felt the same.

Gale called me and I spoke to her often on the phone. We became great friends and she sent me a copy of her beautiful music CD on my birthday! What a wonderful and generous lady! When I was ill and having health problems in 2007 she was so kind and sympathetic. I was invited to the 50th anniversary of Oh, Susannah, a party that was to be held at Gale's home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I seem to remember the name, but not much about any posts, which means I probably found nothing objectionable about any of them.

Anyway... my sincerest condolences go out to her surviving family and loved ones with the hope that she indeed does rest in peace.

Sepiaotne

So sorry to read about Janet's passing. She was in distress for many years, but she found joy in old movies. I sent her my favorite songs on CD-R's and she and her husband Marshall sent me movies that you couldn't  find elsewhere. RIP Janet.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cody1949 said:

So sorry to read about Janet's passing. She was in distress for many years, but she found joy in old movies. I sent her my favorite songs on CD-R's and she and her husband Marshall sent me movies that you couldn't  find elsewhere. RIP Janet.

It's interesting to read about the different relationships she developed on this website. She had a lot of friends.