Sign in to follow this  
Arturo

WOULD YOU HAVE DONE THE SAME?

20 posts in this topic

Yesterday, I spent several hours at the Dog and Cat Hospital while my terrier mix Lucas was attended .  He woke up barely able to walk, trembling and with no appetite; he had been fine the day before.  So he was diagnosed with arthritis, and after prescribed medication, this morning he is his usual active and hungry self. 

While I was in the waiting area, concerned over what Lucas might have, I thought that it was a good thing I had no specific plans yesterday, other than to clean and shop for groceries, and vague plans to go to the movies in the evening.  But it got me thinking, what would I have done a week earlier, when I had a birthday party that demanded my full time and attention.  And this made me think of a story I had read about Betty Grable, who in 1955, was to meet with Samuel Goldwyn about playing Adelaide in GUYS AND DOLLS.  She apparently stood him up because she had to rush her dog to the vet.  When the mogul heard this, he angrily wrote her off for the role.

Grable could have used this role in the high-profile musical; her 14 year contract with Fox had just ended, and her movie career was going nowhere, would be over that same year.  While she easily trasitioned to tv as well as to nightclubs, her participation in the hit film might've led to some more decent movie roles.  Of course in a few years time, by the late 50s, musicals would be deemed dead in at the box office and would cease to become staples at the film studios, themselves nearly moribund at that point. 

Betty Grable always maintained she made the right choice.  My question is would you have done the same thing in a similar situation?  Or do you know of other stories where Hollywood players had to choose between two things and their choice affected their careers in a negative way?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arturo said:

Yesterday, I spent several hours at the Dog and Cat Hospital while my terrier mix Lucas was attended .  He woke up barely able to walk, trembling and with no appetite; he had been fine the day before.  So he was diagnosed with arthritis, and after prescribed medication, this morning he is his usual active and hungry self. 

While I was in the waiting area, concerned over what Lucas might have, I thought that it was a good thing I had no specific plans yesterday, other than to clean and shop for groceries, and vague plans to go to the movies in the evening.  But it got me thinking, what would I have done a week earlier, when I had a birthday party that demanded my full time and attention.  And this made me think of a story I had read about Betty Grable, who in 1955, was to meet with Samuel Goldwyn about playing Adelaide in GUYS AND DOLLS.  She apparently stood him up because she had to rush her dog to the vet.  When the mogul heard this, he angrily wrote her off for the role.

Grable could have used this role in the high-profile musical; her 14 year contract with Fox had just ended, and her movie career was going nowhere, would be over that same year.  While she easily trasitioned to tv as well as to nightclubs, her participation in the hit film might've led to some more decent movie roles.  Of course in a few years time, by the late 50s, musicals would be deemed dead in at the box office and would cease to become staples at the film studios, themselves nearly moribund at that point. 

Betty Grable always maintained she made the right choice.  My question is would you have done the same thing in a similar situation?  Or do you know of other stories where Hollywood players had to choose between two things and their choice affected their careers in a negative way?

Always go with a dog!

They will be your friend forever, unlike many persons you meet along the way.

Dogs can smile too, which is worth seeing, especially when you let them put their heads out of the car as you are driving. Betty made the right choice!

• Like 4

As the owner of three dogs, as well as being owned by one cat, I would always put them first. Life is about finding balance, and for the most part I have, partially thanks to my furry friends.

• Like 3

First Arturo, glad to hear Lucas is doing well now.

Secondly, the first name that comes to mind in regard to your premise here would be Vera Miles.

For a while groomed to be Hitchcock's next "Ice Princess" and at one time slated to star in Vertigo, she either my choice or happenstance became pregnant with her husband Gordon Scott's child, and thus was replaced by Kim Novak in that film.

(...and it seems to have affected her chances at being a bigger star than she ever was)

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Always go with a dog!

They will be your friend forever, unlike many persons you meet along the way.

Dogs can smile too, which is worth seeing, especially when you let them put their heads out of the car as you are driving. Betty made the right choice!

I totally agree.  They are family members and need to be a priority when they are not well.  Thank you for confirming this.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

As the owner of three dogs, as well as being owned by one cat, I would always put them first. Life is about finding balance, and for the most part I have, partially thanks to my furry friends.

I have two small terrier mixes; they have been my first real indoor dogs.   We always had big outdoor dogs when I was grow g up, but they weren't necessarily mine.  I was always a cat person, so I like how you said you are owned by one.  Too bad my little dogs don't like other animals, so I cannot have a cat. 

18 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

she did the right think of course

I agree.  Thanks.  Grable had plenty of money, although she was a heavy gambler.  She felt she did the right thing also.  And it was a win-win, for her and her dog, and for Vivian Blaine and us.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dargo said:

First Arturo, glad to hear Lucas is doing well now.

Secondly, the first name that comes to mind in regard to your premise here would be Vera Miles.

For a while groomed to be Hitchcock's next "Ice Princess" and at one time slated to star in Vertigo, she either my choice or happenstance became pregnant with her husband Gordon Scott's child, and thus was replaced by Kim Novak in that film.

(...and it seems to have affected her chances at being a bigger star than she ever was)

Thanks Dargo.  Lucas seems better, but will have some bad days per the vet.  

Vera Miles losing out on VERTIGO is a good example.  This story happened to many actresses back then, as pregnancy made them bow out of roles quite often; although usually not from films as important as this Hitchcock masterpiece..  In fact, Betty Grable lost, and won, roles due to her pregnancy as well as other's.  This week's SOTM Rita Hayworth showings include MY GAL SAL, which had been offered to Alice Faye, who had to how out when she found out she was pregnant, then to Grable, who  also couldn't do it  due to pregnancy.  So Hayworth was borrowed for the film.

Arturo, hope you're doing well.  And your little dog, too !  ( I just had to say that, how often do we get the chance ?)

Betty did the right thing; a beloved pet is like a member of the family. 

One thing that occurred to me when I read your story about her and how she lost the chance at that role because she took her dog to the vet instead of meeting Samuel Goldwyn:  It was probably that he was kept waiting and then she did a no-show ( in his opinion) that annoyed him. Now, if he'd been a nicer person, he would have understood and accepted Betty's perfectly legitimate reason for missing the appointment with him. However, today it probably wouldn't happen, because Betty would have texted Mr. Goldwyn as to what was delaying her, and he would have known before waiting too long, and therefore not been angry about his precious big producer time being wasted. Even though I am not really a fan of cell phones, I guess sometimes they have their uses .?

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 2:16 PM, LawrenceA said:

I know the feeling about cats.  I like to think my cat lives with me, but it's more like she's being nice enough to let me live with her.

I would find someone else to take the dog to the vet. Does that mean I love the dog less? To lose opportunities like that over a pet is ridiculous when there is a ready solution.

6 hours ago, laffite said:

I would find someone else to take the dog to the vet. Does that mean I love the dog less? To lose opportunities like that over a pet is ridiculous when there is a ready solution.

Exactly:  The idea that YOU have to take your dog to the vet creates the image of "Looney pet-doter", which is probably what Sam thought, but a star like Grable didn't have a maid/personal assistant to help with off-set household emergencies?  

Which, of course, a family member's problem always is.  :)

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

Exactly:  The idea that YOU have to take your dog to the vet creates the image of "Looney pet-doter", which is probably what Sam thought, but a star like Grable didn't have a maid/personal assistant to help with off-set household emergencies?  

Which, of course, a family member's problem always is.  :)

Except if her dog was really sick, like take-to-the-vet-now emergency sick, she may have wanted to be with the dog herself instead of handing him off to an assistant.  ("Here, take Fido to the vet and call me if he croaks.")  Maybe instead of "loony pet-doter" it's "responsible-I-love-my-pet owner."

She probably should have called Sam herself and explained what was going on or have the assistant do that instead of standing him up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Betty made the right choice for two reasons: her sick dog came first; and her choice enabled Goldwyn to do the right thing and hire Vivian Blaine to play Adelaide. Ms. Blaine created the role on Broadway and deserved to play it on film.

• Like 3

On 10/3/2018 at 10:42 AM, misswonderly3 said:

Arturo, hope you're doing well.  And your little dog, too !  ( I just had to say that, how often do we get the chance ?)

Betty did the right thing; a beloved pet is like a member of the family. 

One thing that occurred to me when I read your story about her and how she lost the chance at that role because she took her dog to the vet instead of meeting Samuel Goldwyn:  It was probably that he was kept waiting and then she did a no-show ( in his opinion) that annoyed him. Now, if he'd been a nicer person, he would have understood and accepted Betty's perfectly legitimate reason for missing the appointment with him. However, today it probably wouldn't happen, because Betty would have texted Mr. Goldwyn as to what was delaying her, and he would have known before waiting too long, and therefore not been angry about his precious big producer time being wasted. Even though I am not really a fan of cell phones, I guess sometimes they have their uses .?

MissW, 

Thank you.  Both Lucas and I are doing well.  I totally agree with your post that a cell phone would prevent that from happening.  But I really think with Goldwyn there were a couple of things that irked him.  First, having been kept waiting.  Second, the reason he was kept waiting, playing second choice to a dog.  I think his vanity was butt-hurt.  But at least at this point in Grable's career, she didn't have to be forced with the casting couch or kneepad route. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 2:16 PM, LawrenceA said:

Well, I dunno.....

Between say, my wife or one of my kids, I'd choose THEM over the pet(s), but otherwise, I'd go with the dog as I had the kind of job where I could call in sick if I couldn't make it in, and my boss usually let two of them go by without a doctor's note.  But I was long retired when either of my dogs needed that much Vet attention( and mine) so it was never an issue.  

But I liked your "owned by one cat" line.  :D  Having had a few( and once breeding Silver Persians) I had to laugh at a T-shirt my daughter( a Betty White level animal lover) once wore which read:  "Cats don't have owners.  They have staff."  :D 

Sepiatone  

• Haha 1

Dogs are family.

I'm sorry to hear of your medical problems with Lucas, Arturo. It's a situation, unfortunately, with which so many pet owners, devoted to their furry friends, can identify.

I have an 11 year old shih tzu, a good little buddy, who was diagnosed with Cushing's disease this year. It has impacted his liver and thyroid gland, as well as the debilitating effects of the disease itself upon his body (he's weaker and I have to carry him up and down stairs and take him for shorter walks). The vet also strongly suspects that he was a tumour in his brain slowly growing (it may well be benign but as it grows it will impact him).

The vet kept expressing "grave concerns" about him in June but when she saw him in August said she was pleasantly surprised how well he was doing with the medication. There is no cure for this disease. You just try to improve the quality of his life.

Anyway it's day at a time now, and he's doing rather well these days. It's considerably impacting my bank account, what with the meds and constant blood tests, but what can you do? I have no pet insurance.

He's my little pal and I'm sticking by him as long as I can. Just as you are with Lucas, Arturo, as well as a million other pet owners out there. We're all in this together. Stay strong, buddy. You know Lucas is worth it.

10 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Except if her dog was really sick, like take-to-the-vet-now emergency sick, she may have wanted to be with the dog herself instead of handing him off to an assistant.  ("Here, take Fido to the vet and call me if he croaks.")  Maybe instead of "loony pet-doter" it's "responsible-I-love-my-pet owner."

She probably should have called Sam herself and explained what was going on or have the assistant do that instead of standing him up.

Thank you Christiine.  I totally agree here.  A pet feeling so bad must be bewildered, even scared.  For the owner to accompany it, instead of someone else, must be very comforting to the pet through this ordeal.   

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

Dogs are family.

I'm sorry to hear of your medical problems with Lucas, Arturo. It's a situation, unfortunately, with which so many pet owners, devoted to their furry friends, can identify.

I have an 11 year old shih tzu, a good little buddy, who was diagnosed with Cushing's disease this year. It has impacted his liver and thyroid gland, as well as the debilitating effects of the disease itself upon his body (he's weaker and I have to carry him up and down stairs and take him for shorter walks). The vet also strongly suspects that he was a tumour in his brain slowly growing (it may well be benign but as it grows it will impact him).

The vet kept expressing "grave concerns" about him in June but when she saw him in August said she was pleasantly surprised how well he was doing with the medication. There is no cure for this disease. You just try to improve the quality of his life.

Anyway it's day at a time now, and he's doing rather well these days. It's considerably impacting my bank account, what with the meds and constant blood tests, but what can you do? I have no pet insurance.

He's my little pal and I'm sticking by him as long as I can. Just as you are with Lucas, Arturo, as well as a million other pet owners out there. We're all in this together. Stay strong, buddy. You know Lucas is worth it.

Thanks Tom.  I'm sorry to hear about your little buddy.  It sounds a lot what I will have to deal with Lucas: meds, blood tests, etc.  Lucas is too fast for me running up and down stairs, and doesn't like me carrying him to do this.  But as a friend told me when i got the first of my two dogs. Lucas' father, it's a lifelong commitment; the fact that she would shortly after fail this commitment after 3 days does not change that for me.  Thanks again for your story.

• Like 1