scsu1975

Notifications only working sporadically

20 posts in this topic

Lately I have not been getting "notified" every time that I have a notification, like a "like" or "thank you," yet I see them in my posts. Anyone else experiencing this?

Just to be clear, I still get some notifications, but others seem to slip through the cracks.

Of course, I'm all for getting rid of this stuff anyway.

The oddest thing, and this just started happening last month, is I will get a notification that I have a new private message. So it seems like two new things have happened when it's only one thing-- just the PM. I never received notifications about private messages before.

3 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Lately I have not been getting "notified" every time that I have a notification, like a "like" or "thank you," yet I see them in my posts. Anyone else experiencing this?

Just to be clear, I still get some notifications, but others seem to slip through the cracks.

Of course, I'm all for getting rid of this stuff anyway.

I could do without the five different kinds of upvotes.  The other forums I am on don't even use upvotes, and somehow manage to survive.  Though they are not entertainment or media-oriented.

While I am it it, now that I temporarily unblocked these annoying icons on my computer, the "Like" shouldn't be a Valentine's Day heart.  That's just flat-out wrong, this isn't a dating site.  It should be a "thumbs up", like this:
http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-thumbs-up-sign.png

19 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I could do without the five different kinds of upvotes.  The other forums I am on don't even use upvotes, and somehow manage to survive.  Though they are not entertainment or media-oriented.

While I am it it, now that I temporarily unblocked these annoying icons on my computer, the "Like" shouldn't be a Valentine's Day heart.  That's just flat-out wrong, this isn't a dating site.  It should be a "thumbs up", like this:
http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-thumbs-up-sign.png

Yes, the heart symbolizes "love." Some of us merely like a post, we don't actually love it. LOL

I wish I could figure out a way to turn notifications off. Every time I click on a page or a page refreshes, the site asks me whether I want to allow them. It wont take no for an answer.

Someone send a round of iced cold brew grande mocha frappacinos... to that crack TCM javascript programming team --on me--to make this cease someday...

Yay! Thank ye Hepburn Fan. I never would have found that. Hopefully some setting on that page, will solve the matter. I don't want any desktop notifications at all, that's the long and the short of it!

22 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Yay! Thank ye Hepburn Fan. I never would have found that. Hopefully some setting on that page, will solve the matter. I don't want any desktop notifications at all, that's the long and the short of it! 

You're welcome. Now watch, you will get a notification. If I give your comment a Like, you will get two notifications. I tried to quote only part of your post, but the forum didn't let me.

You speakum truth. I still can't get them to entirely turn off. Its a definite annoyance. Every.time.I.refresh.a.page. "Do you want notifications turned on for this session?" How many times do I have to insist? No, no, no. No!

2 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Do you want notifications turned on for this session?"

Still working on it. Deleted previous post as it was wrong. What OS and browser do you use?

Ty!

Windows 7; SP 1, Firefox 47.0.2; all sorts of add-ons like JScript blocker; Popup Blocker; etc

My Mom's PC is running Windows 7 SP1 (32-bit) and she has the current Firefox. They call it Firefox Quantum and it is all the way up to version 62. You may need to reinstall Firefox. If you go to the Options menu, you will find a side menu for Privacy & Security. Scroll down to Permissions and click on Settings for Notifications. There is a checkbox for "Block new requests asking to allow notifications." I also deleted all the sites in the list box. You can block popup windows in Firefox too.

There is a site that always asks me about notifications because I clear my browser daily. Now it isn't asking me. I only recently moved to Firefox from Chrome. Looking for your solution (I hope) helped me too.

To quote Rocky Hardcastle from the British Comedy, "As Time Goes By," - Rock On!

• Thanks 1

Ah yah that's probably it. I don't have any 'Block notifications' setting under 'Privacy and Security permissions' because I run an older version of Firefox. I have to have this version for a specific open-source "add-on" I need.

Firefox 57 'Quantum' outrages me. I refuse to get aboard with it. Because if I do so, it means that all the add-ons and customizations I require, are mostly lost. I am against constant, never-ending upgrading driven by their prerogatives.

Anyway, thank you for your attempt to assist!

Time for some unmitigated PRAISE (rather than a GRIPE).

TCM Forums, I must commend your Javascript programming, or your CSS, or whatever it is you deploy on this site--for in one regard, you really came through for me. Two nights ago I was typing a post-reply which wended its way to a length of likely nine or ten thousand words in LENGTH. Maybe more.

Then, catastrophe. I accidentally closed the tab due to a network error. I haven't had this happen to me in a long while and I broke out into a sweat. It was really hairy. This particular forum post had probably cost me ninety minutes to prepare. It was filled with links, citations, quotes; everything.

I thought I was a goner. I tried everything I could think of. Finally, glumly resigned to my fate and sick at heart, I plunged back in to start afresh. And there....there the original post was. Extraordinary! Beatific! O, happy day.

Its very rare that a site has such capacity for this feature, lately. I thank ye!

Hurrah! I found the fix under FF help.

Under 'Options' its buried under 'Content'. And then, I also went into the DOM model and toggled values there.

https://tinyurl.com/y9y3ansh

It's whack --I work with some pretty high tech in the course of my profession but I have no interest in leisure tech. No frills for me.

What's up with the tinyurl links.  I never saw the purpose in that, other than to obfuscate the domain name of the link until it is visited.  Some people swear by it though.  You probably have your reasons.  I am not a "smartphone" guy though, so maybe that might explain it.

As for Firefox about:config options - I have the latest and greatest v.62, where some bulletproofing or other improvements may have been made.

dom.webnotifications.enabled

I have had this in user-defined state as disabled all along, don't remember doing it, but that hasn't had any effect on the TCM site.  Perhaps it only controls the operations as per Firefox menu option: preferences/privacy & security/notifications.  Opening the settings for that, it is completely empty (so no permissions for TCM notifications are being granted or revoked here for me).  I will say these two items are probably correlated.

dom.push.enabled

This one has been enabled all along for me, in its default state.  It's probably safe to assume this is the control for the type of notifications from TCM at the bottom of the screen.  I'm not online constantly and I like those notifications, so I will be leaving it as-is.

As for "stepping away from things" a bit, I moved from Windows 7 (a few years ago already??) to Linux Mint for all my online activities.  Linux Mint has been every bit as capable for mundane Internet usage and then some, without any further control issues or headaches from Microsoft.  Not that I don't still use a Windows computer, but it is now a disconnected Windows 7 "appliance", no network connected, no Wifi, only used for a very specific piece of software - a video processing program.  That is a whole other topic though.

I have not changed any of the notification settings for this forum. I don't want an email once a day or once a week. That sounds awful. I am not sure if it is possible to turn off the notifications when someone reacts or quotes your post. There is a whole page of settings with very few actual options.

• Haha 1

No Linux for me. For home use I rely on throw-away computers. As objects in themselves, they're not worth my time, concern, or attention.

I always use TinyURL; for one thing I think it looks nicer on a page rather than a giant long address. Also, some web addresses may trigger flags on the firewalls people have at their workplace. That's what its really all about. The main reason for going Tiny is to ensure the link doesn't break; for others (as well as for myself when pasting it). So, rather than give you all a link which fails I actually do the right thing, and pre-set it for your ease of use.

Yeah definitely do not need email reminders for anything happening on a web forum. I agree.

Though I work with some of the highest tech in the country I really abhor every aspect of it. Yuck. Personal computers --to my way of thinking, they're barely one level up from television, which I tapered off long ago. The less I have to actually regard these soulless, dumb, silicon-filled slabs, the better I like it. Gag... I loathe 'puters.

I love my 'puter and would struggle in life without it. Don't care for smart phones but do have a 10 inch WiFi tablet. Can't read anything smaller. I have an All In One PC with HDMI input. Have a Roku Express attached to my PC. That means my computer can do anything and everything I could ever need for news and information, plus entertainment.

Linux is constantly getting better. I will eventually switch, just because it works well with cheap hardware.

When it comes to links, I use the link feature in the forum. You can change the text displayed. So far, I've had no issues.

I have no use for social media, but do enjoy this TCM forum.