Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

Pauline at the Beach (1983)

7 posts in this topic

TCM adds to its growing list of movies by Eric Rohmer with this light comedy.  Another of his explorations of relationships, how people complicate them, what people tell themselves and others about them, and how they resolve them, or don't.  All at the beach.  It's not a landmark movie, but people who like Rohmer will like this.

On Sunday, 11:00 pm, Pacific time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, slaytonf said:

It's not a landmark movie, but people who like Rohmer will like this.

On Sunday, 11:00 pm, Pacific time.

Thanks for the info. I'm a huge Rohmer fan, although I like Pauline, it's not at the top of my list of Rohmer favorites. (That would be A Summer's Tale, part of the four seasons series).

• Like 3

"Time To Leave" (2006) - any film with Melvil Poupard is worth a visit -

8462-11.jpg

(Melvil Poupard is at the right.)

• Like 2

I rented Claire's Knee when I was in college. Based on the plot description, I think I was hoping for a steamier movie! Not sure how this would play in the era of Hashtag Me Too. A vacationing diplomat in his 30s spends most of the movie obsessing about touching the titular knee which belongs to a girl half his age, not because he's a pervert, you understand, but because ... well, I'm not exactly sure why, although there is endless talk about it, as sometimes happens in French movies. It's important that he do so for deep philosophical reasons, apparently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pauline at the Beach was okay and highlighted jealousy and envy in a typical Rohmer fashion. If you like his other movies you will probably like it. not my favorite of his films though.

37 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I rented Claire's Knee when I was in college. Based on the plot description, I think I was hoping for a steamier movie! Not sure how this would play in the era of Hashtag Me Too. A vacationing diplomat in his 30s spends most of the movie obsessing about touching the titular knee which belongs to a girl half his age, not because he's a pervert, you understand, but because ... well, I'm not exactly sure why, although there is endless talk about it, as sometimes happens in French movies. It's important that he do so for deep philosophical reasons, apparently.

I think the intention was to show that held sway and power over her by touching her body. The physical act of touching her body whether she wants it or not is supposed to reinforce his ideals of power. At the end of the movie though she goes on to her boyfriend and all of his reasoning that he is this very powerful man who can touch her without consent is destroyed as she thought nothing of it and moves on. This is the perfect movie for the me too era because he is shown as a powerless wimp who feels touching a girl unwanted is supposed to reinforce his views when really he is nothing to her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, slaytonf said:

We're not done with Rohmer yet this month.

Yup, this week's import is the Green Ray. don't think I've seen this one before.

789a8786a2006f32b810a22331500e4c.jpg

• Thanks 1