Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

The Mummy's Hand

59 posts in this topic

why does tcm hafta waste our time with stinkers like that? what an excruciating experience seeing guys like cecil kellaway and george zucco wasted in such a lame movie. 35 minutes into it I dreamt of how much I would enjoy seeing kharis strangulate...slowly...that infuriatingly awful comic relief babe but then I started hoping that kharis would shove poopsie down his throat just to put an end to NYC terminology..

and what was defiled was the recycled music from son of Frankenstein.

1 minute ago, NipkowDisc said:

why does tcm hafta waste our time with stinkers like that? what an excruciating experience seeing guys like cecil kellaway and george zucco wasted in such a lame movie. 35 minutes into it I dreamt of how much I would enjoy seeing kharis strangulate...slowly...that infuriatingly awful comic relief babe but then I started hoping that kharis would shove poopsie down his throat just to put an end to his NYC  references.

And yet you watched it.  You lost your monster cred with me if you haven't seen any of the old Universal 1940's era Mummy movies before tonight, pal.  😄

• Haha 1

I've seen the other two but not that first one...maybe when I was real young I mighta seen it but that schtootz Wallace ford was really awful.

Is it any wonder you didn't know what happened? The ending was cut off!  Something very weird took place mid scene and the watch TCM logo came on.

I think the Mummy had a Hand in it!  🙄

• Haha 2

I nice horror movie could be made about the ancient Egyptians performing CPR.

898b8bbb4826b53b51c8c3513e43c520.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

Is it any wonder you didn't know what happened? The ending was cut off!  Something very weird took place mid scene and the watch TCM logo came on.

I think the Mummy had a Hand in it!  🙄

A few years ago this month (2011, I think) TCM last aired THE MUMMY'S HAND. It too was cut short at the end and the event was discussed on these boards.
Evidently the same flawed copy was resurrected for tonights airing.

I just checked it out on WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND and Ben cuts in before the actual movie is over.
IMDB lists a 67 min run time. Subtracting Ben's intro & outro, this TCM version ran 65.46 min, short by approx. 1.14 min. 
TCM has done this before, most frequently (and with far more seriously truncated offenders) occurring with their ON-DEMAND streams. 
Sad, shoddy and "cut" for all TCM viewers this time, but thankfully it still rarely occurs during their "live" broadcasts. <_<

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

I nice horror movie could be made about the ancient Egyptians performing CPR.

898b8bbb4826b53b51c8c3513e43c520.jpg

You know Ham, I remember reading long ago that Egyptian mummies were apparantly so plentiful that when dried camel dung ran short, the locals used mummies to kindle their cooking fires. :rolleyes:

"During a railway expansion in Egypt in the 19th century, construction companies unearthed so many mummies that they used them as locomotive fuel."
Discover Magazine, 2006

"Mummies To Burn"
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/poem/2010/01/mummies_to_burn.html

So many in the afterlife were fated to power locomotives. If that's not an Egyptian hell, what is? :lol:

Although I've never been a fan of these mummy pictures, they do entertain. I was quite happy sipping gin and creating my own dialogue along the way. 

The Mummy's Hand is one of my favourite horror Bs from Universal. Worth seeing if only for those moments when there is a closeup of Kharis with no pupils in his head. Yikes! Scares me.

Peggy Moran is a doll.

• Like 3

Just now, TomJH said:

The Mummy's Hand is one of my favorute horror Bs from Universal. Worth seeing if only for those moments when there is a closeup of Kharis with no pupils in his head. Yikes! Scares me.

Since I retired after 40 years of teaching, there are no longer any pupils in my head either.

• Haha 4

Just now, scsu1975 said:

Since I retired after 40 years of teaching, there are no longer any pupils in my head either.

I gather, then, you don't exactly identify with Mr. Chips.

1 minute ago, TomJH said:

I gather, then, you don't exactly identify with Mr. Chips.

Only the "Goodbye" part

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

TCM decided to cut the controversial ending, where Dick Foran dumps Peggy Moran for Wallace Ford. I mean, come on, Foran kept calling him "babe" through the whole film.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It's been awhile since I've seen The Mummy's Curse, but I did record it for later viewing. I caught a few minutes, notably the scene where poor Bill Farnum, once a $100,000-a-year early silent star, gets rolled out for a few lines, then is offed by Kharis.

I always get a kick out of George Zucco's death scene, when he rolls down those stairs and his stunt man arrives at the bottom of them with a full head of dark hair.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I always get a kick out of George Zucco's death scene, when he rolls down those stairs and his stunt man arrives at the bottom of them with a full head of dark hair.

I'm glad someone else noticed that. Of course, he still managed to survive somehow and appear in the next two films.

Wow, the Watch TCM screening is also missing the ending of the film.

14 minutes ago, clore said:

Wow, the Watch TCM screening is also missing the ending of the film.

Really glad I got the DVD rather than having to depend upon TCM for this one.

la-main-de-la-momie_161146_24690.jpg

"I tell you it's not my fault the damned ending's missing!"

• Haha 2

and this crap didn't even have the guts to make kharis actually dead. all these thousands of years were told that zucco's predecessors keep him alive by the light of a full moon with tana leave fluid. some monster.

I think THE MUMMY'S HAND is a top-grade adventure programmer. Great cast, very capable direction and editing, superb music (much of it recycled - including the "raising the monster" cue from SON OF FRANKENSTEIN slowed down and used as Kharis' murder motif). Dick and Peggy were a great couple on screen and they reunited in HORROR ISLAND - another enjoyable quickie.

And, frankly, I prefer my mummies wrapped in ragged cloth and stalking with menace rather than being the all-powerful CGI spirits of recent years.

PS I recently picked up a print of GREEN HELL, for which the temple idol in THE MUMMY'S HAND was originally constructed.

• Like 3