NipkowDisc

The Mummy's Hand

60 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

I'm glad someone else noticed that. Of course, he still managed to survive somehow and appear in the next two films.

That was good old Bud Wolfe, who also took a dive into the sulphur pit as the Monster in SON OF FRANKENSTEIN and doubled for Bogart in the cantina fight in THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ray Faiola said:

PS I recently picked up a print of GREEN HELL, for which the temple idol in THE MUMMY'S HAND was originally constructed.

Through a friend I once mailed a video tape copy of Green Hell to Doug Fairbanks Jr. as it was a film from his career that was missing from his collection. I'm afraid the copy of my second generation copy of the tape to him was pretty mediocre.

I later read that he called it the worst film of his career. I hope he wasn't influenced in that decision by the copy of my tape.

GREEN_HELL.jpg

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, TomJH said:

Really glad I got the DVD rather than having to depend upon TCM for this one.

"I tell you it's not my fault the damned ending's missing!"

Yes, I have the set of them. I won't be upgrading to the Blu Rays though - I made the mistake of watching them all in order. The Kharis series really doesn't hold up well so I don't need them in HD. I do like the ending of "Ghost" which is one of the most heartbreaking of all Universal horror films.

I think THE MUMMY'S CURSE is very interesting and the scene where Virginia Christine rises from the clay pit is truly memorable. Nice unique score by Paul Sawtell, too.

I love those Mummy sequels. However I think the fate of Tante Berthe (played by Ann Codee) in The Mummy's Curse is one of the great tragedies of the cinema. And after she sang "Hey You" so splendidly, at the top of the movie!

mummyscurse3_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The most frightening horror film of them all . . .

53-39989-mommie-dearest-1488384838.jpg

Mummy Dearest

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Swithin said:

However I think the fate of Tante Berthe (played by Ann Codee) in The Mummy's Curse is one of the great tragedies of the cinema.

And it is especially chilling as the scene is done with out underscoring, but only using the ambient music being played in the cafe. It makes Codee's pounding on Kharis' ancient body really effective.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

I think THE MUMMY'S HAND is a top-grade adventure programmer. Great cast, very capable direction and editing, superb music (much of it recycled - including the "raising the monster" cue from SON OF FRANKENSTEIN slowed down and used as Kharis' murder motif). Dick and Peggy were a great couple on screen and they reunited in HORROR ISLAND - another enjoyable quickie.

And, frankly, I prefer my mummies wrapped in ragged cloth and stalking with menace rather than being the all-powerful CGI spirits of recent years.

PS I recently picked up a print of GREEN HELL, for which the temple idol in THE MUMMY'S HAND was originally constructed.

Is that the same temple in Pardon My Sarong?

After the first one, The Mummy movies are so boring. Same script, different characters. I gave up on it, halfway through the first film of the three that night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

After the first one, The Mummy movies are so boring. Same script, different characters. I gave up on it, halfway through the first film of the three that night.

Yeah well, it's just one of those things you have to always take into consideration when watching any of those Mummy movies, Hibi.

And the OTHER of course is that the movies themselves are often as slow moving as the eponymous character!

I mean, don't ya wonder sometimes how that slow movin' dude can even catch his victims?!

(...heck, I think the the only movie monster I ever saw that moves slower than HIM was that people eatin' carpet remnant in The Creeping Terror!)

;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

(...heck, I think the the only movie monster I ever saw that moves slower than HIM was that people eatin' carpet remnant in The Creeping Terror!)

;)

Please, no more swallowing the legs screenshots.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

Sadly, I must agree with Hibi.  I made my way through all of the Mummy movies last year, and it was more of chore than I ever expected.  The Mummy's Hand is ok, perhaps because it spends so much time on the (lame) comedy that it gets into and out of the mummy action in brisk time.  After that, the rest of the films blend together as the wrapped zombie just shuffles about while people either follow behind him or faint in front of him.  I liked Turhan Bey in whichever one he was in, and Virginia Christine's resurrection was cool in whichever one she was in, but not enough to justify the movies surrounding them.  As for the tragic ending for the heroine who dies tragically, I just didn't care at that point.  The role was so bland and the film so lacking in tension that when she died it just came as a relief.

Earlier this year, I had more luck with the Creature from the Black Lagoon and Invisible Man series.  Beyond the first films there are no great masterpieces, but I quite liked the third Creature film, The Creature Walks Among Us.  It develops the story in interesting ways that go beyond just rehashing the first movie and features a genuinely spooky scene of our heroes on a small boat being stalked by the gill man in the dark waters.

The Invisible Man films were hit or miss, but I had a good time watching Invisible Agent.  It's blatant WWII propaganda, but it features some nice effects (at one point John Hall is lathering up in the bathtub while invisible, and we see the lather around his leg and foot!), plus Peter Lorre appears as a Japanese man with an Austrian accent!  The Invisible Woman goes for straight-up comedy, and it's not particularly funny, but a movie can't help but be livened up by a cast that includes John Barrymore, Margaret Hamilton, Oskar Homolka, and Shemp Howard!  At the very least, the worst of these series were still better than most of the Mummies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scsu1975 said:

Please, no more swallowing the legs screenshots.

LOL

WHAT! That never crossed my mind at ALL here, Rich!

(...well okay, maybe a little bit it did, anyway) ;) 

I enjoyed the whole Mummy seriies,wish they had shown The Mummys Tomb(1942) as long as they were going thru the series

I enjoyed all these films when I was a kid, because back then, they were scary.  With the passage of time, we all view these films differently. Although there are still a few chills here and there, we're not going to have any nightmares about them anymore. In some respects, that's unfortunate.

• Like 2

I really get a kick "watching" the invisible man...
Well, listening to his sardonic sense of witty humor always made me laugh!
Esp. Claude Rains voice in the 1933 original, when he really looses it running around the room disrobing and cackling with insane laughter, and when he dumps the bicycle, derails the train, and drives his former colleague off the cliff.
Vincent Price in THE INVISIBLE MAN RETURNS (1940) exhibited more pathos, but still some funny moments. I liked his conversation with the scarecrow near the end.
Jon Hall played the invisible man twice, as an asympathetic sinister character in THE INVISIBLE MAN'S REVENGE (1944) and earlier in the aforementioned INVISIBLE AGENT (1942). I must have been close to puberty when I saw that one, as I really got off thinking about all of the "hidden" possibilities if one could really be invisible.... Stimulated I think by the further implication of that scene where an invisible Hall presses his invisible lips against those of an unaware Ilona Massey! :ph34r:
THE INVISIBLE WOMAN (1940) was pure camp. But watching Barrymore play it for laughs alongside Virginia Bruce and the rest of that silly cast had it's moments!:P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

I enjoyed all these films when I was a kid, because back then, they were scary.  With the passage of time, we all view these films differently. Although there are still a few chills here and there, we're not going to have any nightmares about them anymore. In some respects, that's unfortunate.

Speak for yourself.

mummys-hand-mummy-face-eyes-tom-tyler-60

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

Speak for yourself.[about still having nightmares]

mummys-hand-mummy-face-eyes-tom-tyler-60

Hmmm...I dunno. Tom.

Try as I might here, I JUST don't see any resemblance between this mummy and a...and a....CLOWN!!!

So, it seems besides Coulrophobia, we can add Necrophobia(the fear of corpses, and the nearest I can find that would also cover the fear of mummies) to the list here, eh?! ;)

LOL

15 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Ray, the violin theme that begins at the 40 second mark is very familiar .. do you know in what other film(s) it was used?

It's part of the main title composition. I believe the MUMMY'S GHOST main title was originally composed for CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN. It was used again for THE MUMMY'S CURSE. The theme you mentioned could be considered a major key variation on the "Egypt" theme that is heard under Eduardo Ciannelli's narration at the beginning of THE MUMMY'S HAND and is heard at 1:00 in the MUMMY'S GHOST medley I posted above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dargo said:

Hmmm...I dunno. Tom.

Try as I might here, I JUST don't see any resemblance between this mummy and a...and a....CLOWN!!!

So, it seems besides Coulrophobia, we can add Necrophobia(the fear of corpses, and the nearest I can find that would also cover the fear of mummies) to the list here, eh?! ;)

LOL

Poking "fun" at someones phobias. Do I detect a slight sadistic streak here..... ??? :rolleyes:

;):)

I just remembered about one Holloween during H.S. when four of us decided to go out trick or treating.
I was a werewolf, my girlfriend was a vampire, my buddy was Frankenstein's monster, and my buddy's girlfriend had decided that she was going to be a "mummy."
We helped to wrap her up in roll after roll of toilet paper, and used lots of white talcum powder on her face and any exposed skin for effect.
It was a warm California night and she wore a bikini underneath and had a few overlapping towel wraps over that which were safety pinned together. But the TP was taped in various spots, and just kinda hung and dangled as she did the foot dragging mummy shuffle when approaching a door.
It was cheap single ply stuff and kept breaking loose throughout the night so we carried a couple of extra rolls in our candy bags for repairs.
It was probably around 10 PM or so, and we went up to this house and a little kid, maybe four or five, answered the door. The kid screamed when she saw our female Kharis and began stuttering "MMmm mummy, Mum.. mum.. mum.. mummy" for her mommy.
Then our mummy said in a husky voice, "I'm your mummy!" and reached out to her with a powdered hand and draped arm.
The little girl had a glass of pop in her hands and screamed and splashed it all over our mummy, and the TP immediately began to "liquefy" as she sputtered away from the door.
We all began laughing real hard (except for the mummy) who kept saying "I'm melting, I'm melting."
The little girls mom complimented our costumes, and apologized for her daughter, offering us each an extra handful of treats. But despite our best "repair" efforts, our poor mummy was all sticky and a mess for the rest of the night. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dargo said:

Hmmm...I dunno. Tom.

LOL

3 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

Poking "fun" at someones phobias. Do I detect a slight sadistic streak here..... ??? :rolleyes:

;):)

You better believe those are sadistic streaks in Dargo. Then, again, he often likes to play the clown.

All joking aside, those shots of Kharis with black holes in his face instead of pupils in The Mummy's Hand does give me a major case of the creepers. There is definitely an other worldly quality about his appearance. You know it's not the kindly face of someone with whom you can reason. It almost as bad as trying to talk to a right winger.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

I just remembered about one Holloween during H.S. when four of us decided to go out trick or treating.
I was a werewolf, my girlfriend was a vampire, my buddy was Frankenstein's monster, and my buddy's girlfriend had decided that she was going to be a "mummy."
We helped to wrap her up in roll after roll of toilet paper, and used lots of white talcum powder on her face and any exposed skin for effect.
It was a warm California night and she wore a bikini underneath and had a few overlapping towel wraps over that which were safety pinned together. But the TP was taped in various spots, and just kinda hung and dangled as she did the foot dragging mummy shuffle when approaching a door.
It was cheap single ply stuff and kept breaking loose throughout the night so we carried a couple of extra rolls in our candy bags for repairs.
It was probably around 10 PM or so, and we went up to this house and a little kid, maybe four or five, answered the door. The kid screamed when she saw our female Kharis and began stuttering "MMmm mummy, Mum.. mum.. mum.. mummy" for her mommy.
Then our mummy said in a husky voice, "I'm your mummy!" and reached out to her with a powdered hand and draped arm.
The little girl had a glass of pop in her hands and screamed and splashed it all over our mummy, and the TP immediately began to "liquefy" as she sputtered away from the door.
We all began laughing real hard (except for the mummy) who kept saying "I'm melting, I'm melting."
The little girls mom complimented our costumes, and apologized for her daughter, offering us each an extra handful of treats. But despite our best "repair" efforts, our poor mummy was all sticky and a mess for the rest of the night. 

LOL! I remember going as a mummy once. I cant remember if I wore TP or what, but it kept coming off and I had to stop at a neighbors house for repairs during treating!

• Like 1