Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

For first time, Columbus will not observe Columbus Day, its namesake holiday

45 posts in this topic

The city of Columbus, Ohio, will not observe the controversial federal holiday honoring its namesake, Italian explorer Christopher Columbus, for the first time this year.

City offices are instead scheduled to close on Veterans Day in November, though a spokesperson for the mayor's office said the decision was not spurred by movements to replace Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples Day, a counter-celebration held on the same day to commemorate Native Americans.

Critics say the holiday honors the mass genocide and colonization of Native Americans, who lived in the Americas long before Christopher Columbus arrived in October 1492, while Italian-American organizations say the movement comes at the expense of a time to celebrate their ethnic heritage.

Ohio's capital city is the most populated city named after Columbus, with 860,000 people in the 2016 U.S. census. The city, however, lacks the funding to give its 8,500 employees both Veterans Day and Columbus Day off, said Robin Davis, a spokesperson for Mayor Andrew Ginther.

Another goofy city goes politically correct, when they try and change history.

2 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

The city of Columbus, Ohio, will not observe the controversial federal holiday honoring its namesake, Italian explorer Christopher Columbus, for the first time this year.

City offices are instead scheduled to close on Veterans Day in November, though a spokesperson for the mayor's office said the decision was not spurred by movements to replace Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples Day, a counter-celebration held on the same day to commemorate Native Americans.

Critics say the holiday honors the mass genocide and colonization of Native Americans, who lived in the Americas long before Christopher Columbus arrived in October 1492, while Italian-American organizations say the movement comes at the expense of a time to celebrate their ethnic heritage.

Ohio's capital city is the most populated city named after Columbus, with 860,000 people in the 2016 U.S. census. The city, however, lacks the funding to give its 8,500 employees both Veterans Day and Columbus Day off, said Robin Davis, a spokesperson for Mayor Andrew Ginther.

The latter is the real reason ($$$), give me a break.

• Thanks 1

This is just a calendar holiday. I've never gotten this day off in my life. And I've never seen any kind of celebration of it in my neck of the woods.

But the banks are probably closed, and all government workers, which probably includes the post office now as well, have this day off.

But ordinary working stiffs just go on working.

And of course the schools are open.

It's no big deal--and it never was a big deal. 

4 hours ago, hamradio said:

You better read more about it then, and the city itself. It was done for political reasons.

Not celebrating a slaver and mass murderer. Totally un-American.

• Haha 2

On 10/8/2018 at 10:50 AM, hamradio said:

DELETE

On 10/8/2018 at 8:21 AM, MovieMadness said:

Why do you care?????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Columbus Day is no big deal and it never was a big deal.

It's a bank/fed. govt. holiday. That's all.

• Like 1

"... a spokesperson for the mayor's office said the decision was not spurred by movements to replace Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples Day, a counter-celebration held on the same day to commemorate Native Americans.

Critics say the holiday honors the mass genocide and colonization of Native Americans, who lived in the Americas long before Christopher Columbus arrived in October 1492, while Italian-American organizations say the movement comes at the expense of a time to celebrate their ethnic heritage... The city, however, lacks the funding to give its 8,500 employees both Veterans Day and Columbus Day off, said Robin Davis, a spokesperson for Mayor Andrew Ginther. "

Of course the mayor's spokesperson (Robin Davis) was lying in the statement that it was apolitical and based on fiscal priorities. As we all know the only currently truthful spokesperson is Sarah Elizabeth Huckabee Sanders, who is never influenced by political correctness.  :rolleyes:

I say, if Italian-Americans wish to celebrate a mass genocidal murderer, then why not advocate for a "Mussolini" or "Julius Caesar Day."
Or better still, how about someone truly inspirational and celebrate a "Leonardo da Vinci" or  "Michelangelo Day."
As for me, I am an advocate of  "Leif Erikson Day" (which happens to be today, BTW) :D

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

As for me, I am an advocate of  "Leif Erikson Day" (which happens to be today, BTW) :D

"Much appreciated, sir."

sudden23.jpg

• Haha 3

I'm a veteran, so when it comes to one or the other, I'd prefer Veteran's Day as a Paid Day off!
BTW, Columbus Day is still recognized on the calendar, and is "celebrated" as a Paid "holiday," albeit not universally. 

When I was a kid I loved being off from school in February for both Washington's and Lincoln's Birthdays. Imagine my sorrow when they combined the two into a single day... :(
Fortunately I grew up and gained a better understanding about fiscal responsibility, and priorities.

Perhaps Italian-Americans and Scandinavian-Americans and Native Americans and American Veterans can be somewhat assuaged if we just celebrated one day in October and called it "Discovery of America by Some European's who may also have been Veterans Day." :rolleyes:

"When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things."
Apostle Paul, excerpt from his first letter admonishing the christian converts in the former city state of Corinth, in the Roman Provence of Grecia. 1 Corinthians, chapter 13, verse 11, New King James Version

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/08/655640579/columbus-ohio-is-not-observing-columbus-day-this-year

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/columbus-day-2018-columbus-ohio-not-celebrating-this-year/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-columbus-day-columbus-ohio-20181008-story.html

https://www.iheart.com/content/2018-10-08-columbus-ohio-wont-observe-columbus-day/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/columbus-day-2018-columbus-ohio-not-celebrating-this-year/

• Like 1

I nominate Prince Spaghetti Day to replace Columbus the Killer Day.  Yes, though it is a

federal holiday, it's definitely not a biggie, like Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. I too remember

when Washington's Birthday and Lincoln's Birthday were both holidays, though they were

only ten days apart. Knew that was too good to last. 

• Haha 1

In all fairness, I have to say that you have to celebrate St. Patrick's Day whether you want to or not.

Let's say that if you live in any kind of a major metropolitan area like Kansas City or Chicago, you are drawn into the celebration -------whether you like it or not.

St Patrick's Day maybe the singularly most fun or singularly most disgusting holiday celebration in America --depending on your viewpoint.

Or should I say, depending on your ability to remain standing or look up after falling down on the pavement--

Or simply trying to avoid others falling all over you.

FYI-- The Chicago River really is dyed green on St Patrick's Day. LOL

• Haha 1

Saint Patrick's Day brings out the Irish in all of us!
Erin go Bragh! :D

1386.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

"Much appreciated, sir."

sudden23.jpg

LOL!

39 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I nominate Prince Spaghetti Day to replace Columbus the Killer Day.  Yes, though it is a

federal holiday, it's definitely not a biggie, like Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. I too remember

when Washington's Birthday and Lincoln's Birthday were both holidays, though they were

only ten days apart. Knew that was too good to last. 

Yeah, the good old days........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, the good old days........

Seems to me that at least one of those holidays was a time for sales on cars, but

it's been a while so I might be mistaken. Now all we've got is President's Day.

Boo.

1 minute ago, Vautrin said:

Now all we've got is President's Day.

Nothing worthy to celebrate about that these days... :(

I understand!

you!...who would defame us are merely jealous of our glorious accomplishments but your petty arrogances will never diminish the legacy of our dominion.

my friend nipkowdisc speaks truly...

we white devil hon kees are real bad****!

so it is I who will point most accusingly.

:)

Related image

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for Language

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

I understand!

you!...who would defame us are merely jealous of our glorious accomplishments but your petty arrogances will never diminish the legacy of our dominion.

my friend nipkowdisc speaks truly...

we white devil hon kees are real bad****!

so it is I who will point most accusingly.

Yeh, the world really cries over the abuses that whites have had to endure over the centuries.

298g.gif

"Gosh, all us honkies have had it rough!"

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited Quote for Language

6 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

Nothing worthy to celebrate about that these days... :(

True. When it first started I kind of assumed it meant just Washington and Lincoln.

Now it seems to mean all presidents or the office of the presidency. Hard to get too

excited about it now.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

Related image

Take a hundred or so of the natives and put 'em in the hold of the ship. If they

die on the way back, tough luck. And yeah, make sure to baptize them first.

• Sad 1