Sign in to follow this  
Swithin

Monserrat Caballe 1933-2018

10 posts in this topic

Monserrat Caballe, one of the greatest divas of the 20th Century, has died. I saw her perform several times at the Metropolitan Opera. The longest ovation I ever heard was after her rendition of "D'amor sull' ali rosee" in Il Trovatore. She has graced many opera movies; and her voice has been heard on the soundtracks of many more.

Here is Madame Caballe singing that aria from Il Trovatore:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/oct/07/montserrat-caballe-obituary

• Thanks 4

Swithin, thanks for the tribute to a great singer. I heard her once in recital, and can still remember the glory of the pianissimos in "O mio babino carino."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Montserrat was one of my big three Sopranos:

The other two being Maria Callas and Leontyne Price.

I had the great honor of hearing Miss Price in a solo concert, but unfortunately I was not able to personally witness the greatness of the other two Sopranos.

What stands out most in my mind about all three was there unbelievable versatility - - versatility that was profound and top drawer.

Puccini is my favorite operatic composer and all three of them did excellent work with his operas.

But I would have to honestly say that Montserrat had the best ability with tone and pianissimo in the delicate Puccini Arias from Turandot, Gianni Schicchi and the Madame Butterfly.

Listening to her recordings of these Arias made me only Wonder at how much greater her voice would have been live.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Montserrat was one of my big three Sopranos:

The other two being Maria Callas and Leontyne Price.

I had the great honor of hearing Miss Price in a solo concert, but unfortunately I was not able to personally witness the greatness of the other two Sopranos.

What stands out most in my mind about all three was there unbelievable versatility - - versatility that was profound and top drawer.

Puccini is my favorite operatic composer and all three of them did excellent work with his operas.

But I would have to honestly say that Montserrat had the best ability with tone and pianissimo in the delicate Puccini Arias from Turandot, Gianni Schicchi and the Madame Butterfly.

Listening to her recordings of these Arias made me only Wonder at how much greater her voice would have been live.

Another performance which I remember fondly was I Vespri Siciliani at the Metropolitan Opera on February 26, 1974, with Monserrat Caballe as Elena. This aria was a highlight of that performance:

• Thanks 2

She was a very good singer. Rest in peace. Here is a recording of her singing an aria from the Zarzuela "El Nino Judio."

15 hours ago, Swithin said:

Another performance which I remember fondly was I Vespri Siciliani at the Metropolitan Opera on February 26, 1974, with Monserrat Caballe as Elena. This aria was a highlight of that performance:

Swith-- I believe I heard her singing this on the radio live broadcast with Much Ado About the Dragnet beginning.

"Addio Del Passato"-- Oh, how she sang it. That was the recording I had of " La Traviata " with Montserrat. 

Addio a la Bellissima Diva.