Sign in to follow this  
sewhite2000

Ileana Douglas is Melvyn Douglas' Granddaughter?!!?

24 posts in this topic

Okay, let me have it, all you super-knowledgeable message boarders. Somehow, despite her repeated appearances on TCM and any number of comments about her here on these threads, I never knew until she referenced her grandfather being in a movie with Rosalind Russell just now. While she didn't say her grandfather by name, I took an immediate guess (suppose it could have been Paul Douglas ...) and looked her up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Okay, let me have it, all you super-knowledgeable message boarders. Somehow, despite her repeated appearances on TCM and any number of comments about her here on these threads, I never knew until she referenced her grandfather being in a movie with Rosalind Russell just now. While she didn't say her grandfather by name, I took an immediate guess (suppose it could have been Paul Douglas ...) and looked her up.

Her father's stepmother was the actress-turned-U.S. congresswoman Helen Gahagan Douglas, who was involved in a battle royale for a U.S. Senate seat in California in 1950. Her opponent was another member of Congress -- Richard Milhous Nixon. He claimed she was "soft on Communism." She referred to him as "Tricky Dick." He won -- and the rest is history.

Imagine how different our history would have been if she'd won.

Image result for helen gahagan douglas

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Well. Who's Ileana Douglas anyway?:huh:

She's co-hosting the Funny Ladies spotlight this month, and has already hosted features in four other years for TCM. She is also an actress, shown to particularly good effect in her caustic supporting part in the 1995 film To Die For and in her leading part in the 1996 film Grace of My Heart.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved Illeana Douglas in TV show ACTION, 1999-2000. But my all time favorite role was a small part in 2001's GHOST WORLD where she plays a hippy dippy high school art teacher who praises the posers and dismisses the truly sincere artistic kids.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

But my all time favorite role was a small part in 2001's GHOST WORLD where she plays a hippy dippy high school art teacher who praises the posers and dismisses the truly sincere artistic kids.

I love that one also. The whole movie was hilarious, but some of the biggest laughs happened in the art class scenes. Remember the Mirror, Father, Mirror scene?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She also played Rosie, the best friend of Karen Hill (Lorraine Bracco) in Martin Scorcese's "Goodfellas" (1990). Douglas and Scorsese were involved for several years.

Image result for illeana douglas goodfellas rosie
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Illeana as a kid with grandpa Melvyn.

Illeana.jpg

Great picture.    As far as Illeana's work;   My first exposure to her was in Six Feet Under where she played a kooky (and sexy in her unique way),  undertaker.    

She also played the girl Robert De Niro takes advantage of (to put it kindly),  in Cape Fear.

Love what Carol Burnett and Illeana are doing (but I wish they spread out the films over a longer period so the two could comment on all the Funny Ladies films by only showing two per 'session').

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was surprised Carol Burnett didn't know that Carole Lombard and William Powell used to be married.  She's such a fan of old movies and she said she was named after Carole Lombard; I thought that was something she would know but seemed genuinely surprised when Illeana mentioned it before MY MAN GODFREY.

As for Illeana's grandfather the great Melvyn Douglas, I love him in THEODORA GOES WILD.  He had the funniest lines.  Of course, Irene Dunne was great.  I've seen THEODORA a couple of times but it had been awhile.  I think it's a wonderful, delightful movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChristineHoard said:

As for Illeana's grandfather the great Melvyn Douglas, I love him in THEODORA GOES WILD. 

I first saw Melvyn Douglas in NINOTCHKA and just fell in love with him.

Could you imagine your own grandfather talking about making a movie with Greta Garbo? And being in NYC during those "recluse" years of hers, possibly spotting her or better yet meeting her?

I'd be a star struck kid too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I LOVE Melvyn in NINOTCHKA.  He's perfect and it's one of my favorite Melvyn Douglas performances.  He was so good in comedies in his younger years and dramas later on.  Irene and Greta were lucky ladies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

always thought Ileana douglas was hot. 

:D

Image result for illeana douglas cape fear

Then you'd really like her in WEDDING BELL BLUES. I liked that movie, she certainly elevated it, as usual. I adopted her line "Bout a hundred" as a response to anyone asking how many men I had slept with. A perfect retort to a rude question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

I adopted her line "Bout a hundred" as a response to anyone asking how many men I had slept with. A perfect retort to a rude question.

You could always do like Wilt Chamberlain and claim to have slept with 20,000 people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2018 at 6:04 AM, ChristineHoard said:

I was surprised Carol Burnett didn't know that Carole Lombard and William Powell used to be married.  She's such a fan of old movies and she said she was named after Carole Lombard; I thought that was something she would know but seemed genuinely surprised when Illeana mentioned it before MY MAN GODFREY.

This is a pet peeve, when a guest star is there to talk about movies and seems to have done little homework and knows next to nothing about the movie other than having watched it and liked it.  I've expected a little more from Carol -- we're getting more comments about her TV show and own film appearances than context about the films.  The latter's all falling on Illeana, but thank goodness she knows her stuff.

And while I'm whining ( ? ), the funniest thing about the intros and outros so far is the way Carol and Illeana have been lit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NewYorkGuy said:

This is a pet peeve, when a guest star is there to talk about movies and seems to have done little homework and knows next to nothing about the movie other than having watched it and liked it.  I've expected a little more from Carol -- we're getting more comments about her TV show and own film appearances than context about the films.  The latter's all falling on Illeana, but thank goodness she knows her stuff.

And while I'm whining ( ? ), the funniest thing about the intros and outros so far is the way Carol and Illeana have been lit.

I'm not sure what you mean by the way Carol and Illeana were lit but I'll check it out next time.

Yes to the first part of your post.  I am in total agreement.  Way too much about Carol and her TV show and her lousy performance in THE FRONT PAGE.  To the guest stars:  it's not totally all about you.  Keep your ego in check for a few moments and please focus on the movies being presented and who made them and why you like them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carol Burnett is a national treasure but is also in her 80’s. It’s just my opinion but to be a little generous I think she should get a little slack as far as participating in the discussion and having to remember everything about every star. It’s a coup just for Ileana to get her for this showcase. 

This is just an opinion. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

I'm not sure what you mean by the way Carol and Illeana were lit but I'll check it out next time.

Yes to the first part of your post.  I am in total agreement.  Way too much about Carol and her TV show and her lousy performance in THE FRONT PAGE.  To the guest stars:  it's not totally all about you.  Keep your ego in check for a few moments and please focus on the movies being presented and who made them and why you like them.

I, too, don't know if the poster is referring to the lighting or is using "lit" in its hip form to mean "cool" or whatever it means exactly. I'm old.

Ohhh ... I didn't mind the talk about The Front Page. It was reasonably relevant in the aftermath of the presentation of His Girl Friday, and how often does Carol Freaking Burnett, one of the greatest comediennes of all time, appear on TCM anyway? I firmly believe getting her to talk about herself was totally generated by TCM and/or Ms. Douglas and not by Carol having some monstrous ego, as you seem to be implying. I think they had to coax her into that. In my opinion, she's done PLENTY of talking about the movies and why she likes them. One minute to talk about one of her performances - a minute during which she was completely self-deprecating, by the way - is not, in my opinion, some terrible sin.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lit, as in how many watts they're using to light their faces.  It's the HDTV equivalent of smearing Vaseline on the camera lens.  I love Carol.  I'm old enough to have seen all seasons of her variety show.  But this is TCM.  If she and Illeana are doing eight minutes of intro/outro, I'd think most of the time would be about the movie.  That's all -- so please don't others here put words in my mouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no issue with Ileana and Carol's conversations.  I've seen multiple interviews, award acceptance speeches, etc. from Carol where she discusses her love of the movies.  Each time, she says she grew up in Hollywood (even climbing the Hollywood sign as a kid, back when it said "Hollywoodland") and watched lots of movies.  I've heard her say that her love of Hollywood movies is what inspired her parodies on her show in the 60s-70s.  Carol is a big movie fan.  She, along with mentor Lucille Ball, is not only a pioneer as a female comedienne, she is a television pioneer.  Ilena, having grown up with Melvyn Douglas as a grandfather, is obviously a fan of film and Carol.  

I don't see any problem with a pioneering female comedienne discussing these films and how they inspired her groundbreaking variety show.  

I don't need Ilena and Carol providing trivia or insight about the film they're introducing, all that information can easily be found online.  Hearing Carol relate the film's stars, or the film itself to her own career and how it influenced her show is more interesting to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:57 AM, Sgt_Markoff said:

Well. Who's Ileana Douglas anyway?:huh:

Knew this fact but only withiun the last 5yrs & I saw in in numerous flix "GoodFellas" "Cape Fear" "To Die For" & even on tv's tremendous "Seinfeld"

 

But she's had a fairly strong make-over since those days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us