Sign in to follow this  
sewhite2000

My Man Godfrey Up Next!

4 posts in this topic

TCM doesn't show this Universal classic every day! Airing in a few minutes for the first time in two years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, I stuck it out.  Worth it too.

Always liked  this one, and regretted not seeing it (for one reason or another) for the first time only 31 short years ago.  Been high on my "favorites" list ever since.

Sepiatone

Tough not to like this one.

One of the performances in the film that I have belatedly come to appreciate is that of Eugene Pallette as the father of the family. He represents the "sanity" in the film as opposed to the craziness of much of the rest of the cast. You have to have a source of normality in screwball comedies as a balance or else it can all be a bit too much and Pallette performs those chores admirably.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2018 at 5:19 AM, TomJH said:

Tough not to like this one.

One of the performances in the film that I have belatedly come to appreciate is that of Eugene Pallette as the father of the family. He represents the "sanity" in the film as opposed to the craziness of much of the rest of the cast. You have to have a source of normality in screwball comedies as a balance or else it can all be a bit too much and Pallette performs those chores admirably.

Yes, he definitely gives us a break from all the craziness of the rest of the cast. 

I love Alice Brady. Her flighty character somehow seems plausible in the world of the mighty rich. I also love Brady's little giggle; she does this in her other comedies and it just seems instinctual (like that breaking up a sentence that Julianne Moore mentions in her commentary of Myrna Loy's acting style.)