spence

Who either has visited HOLLYWOOD or lives nearby & your opinions please?

45 posts in this topic

THANKS TO THOSE THAT THREW IN OWN 2 OR MORE CENTS ON HERE, KEEP 'EM COMIN' PLEASE!  THIS MAY BE A TOPIC THAT KEEPS GROWING & GROWING LIKE THE ENERGIZER BUNNY, HOPE SO-(I have a ton more to post here myself!)

 

& In just a couple minutes I';ll look up authors of those perfecto books I have

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think James Bacon wrote (*3() on HOLLYWOOD< but I only own 2 td  They certainly go with the others though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alsaom toi alarege degree another MNUST HAVE HOLLYWOOD BOOK also goes with the books I mentioned too.

 

"THE GENIUS OF THE SYSTEM" By Thomas Schatz, it was also a must have on tape TCM docu a few yrs ago, Osborne co-hosted & many others with him

Sadly, I've never yet had chance to read it, just browse  A friend of some of ours (MR. SIMON CHERPITEL of CINEMACOM) sent it to me once

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a beautiful coffee table book called OUT WITH STARS BY JIM HEIMANN.  It chronicles all the famous nightspots which Hollywood celebrities frequented during  classic Hollywood.  Clark and Carole are dining at the COCONUT GROVE NIGHTCLUB.  You will notice the palm trees in the background.

291317418_51K59IzpoXL._SY492_BO1204203200_-1.jpg.85b55c205ef9c717676ffef711b50406.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is not Palmdale around Acton, CALIF. It was where the remaining family of *"THE GREAT: SPENCER TRACY" lived until 07 when his son John passed away, they had a ranch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, arpirose said:

Spence;

Boy, I went to the VILLAGE so often.  In fact, it was walking distance from our home, therefore, going to the village was a breeze. The FOX WESTWOOD THEATRE was the go to theatre as well as the PICKWOOD, which was on Pico Blvd. As for the Westwood cemetery, I never cared for its ambience. It is so cold looking with its bronze markers. It didn't have those wonderful statues that the gravesites that the HOLLYWOOD FOREVER CEMETERY has. Tyrone Power's gravesite is so beautiful with its long pool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-WimyAc9zU

There is the ART DECO MIRACLE MILE AND HANCOCK PARK, which may of the really old movie stars had mansions.

 

Terrific jazz, but not a big fan of Power's myself, much more rate FLYNN in such roles & a better actor too!

 

I visited this cem twice in '99 & 05  A stone';s throw from my same motel I stayed in on Vine-(777 North Vine)

& far nicer like tiny WESTWOOD then the notoriously off-putting "FOREST LAWN" in GLENDALE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, arpirose said:

There is a beautiful coffee table book called OUT WITH STARS BY JIM HEIMANN.  It chronicles all the famous nightspots which Hollywood celebrities frequented during  classic Hollywood.  Clark and Carole are dining at the COCONUT GROVE NIGHTCLUB.  You will notice the palm trees in the background.

291317418_51K59IzpoXL._SY492_BO1204203200_-1.jpg.85b55c205ef9c717676ffef711b50406.jpg

But how is this book overall & please let us know how many Golden Age Heavyweights are also inside???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And just how close has anybody gotten to the HOLLYWOOD sign & how close & just how did anybody too?

Plus of course GRIFFITH PARK & OBSERVATORY?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THE "HOLLYWOOD ROOSEVELT HOTEL"-(est 1926-) was like a meeting place/basecamp for us 2 & then 3 overall if we ever got lost. I musta' been inside the legendary place almost ten times td

 

ANYONE ELSE?

 

(TRIVIA: Michelle Pfeiffer's now classic "Makin' Whoopee" number was shot inside it's Blossom Room & other pts ion it's Cinegrill)

 

& more recently the hilarious Larry David did a scene inside it's lobby on his wonderful tv series CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM

 

I have a marvelous shot of me sitting nxt to a statue of *CHAPLIN too-(LOBBY)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HELP PLEASE< several of my HOLLYWOOD BOOKS, but rarely online lists the KNICKERBOCKER HOTEL & maybe still standing, for now   ANY INFO?

 

It's not even listed in the tons of literature I was sent from HCOC & all others from TINSEL-TOWN?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, spence said:

HELP PLEASE< several of my HOLLYWOOD BOOKS, but rarely online lists the KNICKERBOCKER HOTEL & maybe still standing, for now   ANY INFO?

 

It's not even listed in the tons of literature I was sent from HCOC & all others from TINSEL-TOWN?

Did you think to try Wikipedia or Google?

Here's a whole bunch of info on the Knickerbocker Hotel, courtesy of Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knickerbocker_Hotel_(Los_Angeles)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Did you think to try Wikipedia or Google?

Here's a whole bunch of info on the Knickerbocker Hotel, courtesy of Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knickerbocker_Hotel_(Los_Angeles)

Per usual you are on the cutting edge, along with Jakeem & TopBilled  (P.S. Do you know of (MONGO/JOE B.) on here & the day he got to choose his fav. or another film on the air probably now another BACKLOT member by now???  (HAVE EXACT LINK) We knew each other since about 2001 & even compiled all 7 categories of our own "ALTERNATE *OSCARS"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A BI

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:15 AM, TopBilled said:

I went to USC and then later to UCLA for graduate studies. Altogether I was in the L.A. area from 1991 to 2004. I went back once in 2005, for some work-related conference in Long Beach. Then I didn't return again until 2013 when some old college chums were having a reunion. USC especially had changed a lot, the campus as well as the surrounding neighborhood. 

When I watch episodes from the last season of Hunter (1990-91) that's the L.A. I remember with nostalgia when I first moved there. Some of the movies and TV shows I was part of were filmed in various neighborhoods and beachfront communities, so I feel like I know all of L.A. County and Orange County, up from Topanga Canyon down into the Newport Beach area. 

I think Westwood is probably my favorite village. And I also have fond memories of Santa Monica. But like I said, when I went back in 2013, so much had changed...and at the same time I had changed by taking myself out of that environment. I guess it's now like a former hometown to me. I think of it with affection but I also think of it as something in the past.

G ****-stars! to all that replied on this one & has anyone as I inquired, either heard of or own that absolutely must have coffee table book "HOLLYWOOD THEN AND NOW ()Autor is Rosemary Lord & it's probably nowadays easy to finds on Amazon & much cheaper. Given to me by my mother as a gift a few yrs back! & if you know TINSEL-TOWN & it's history-(has split screen shots of each era, then & now & beautiful colors) You can't out this book down either. & again to our grand friend TopBilled, you are 1 lucky guy in living out that way buddy!  You must fill me in more on the sights & sounds & stars & studios & cemetaries you got to see??? I also went to a film in WESTWOOD, VILLAGE in Nov '99.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have lived here in L.A. all my life -- live near the Santa Anita Race Track (if you guys have seen any movie with horse racing, they're all filmed there) and in this part of LA it's so quiet and small and quaint, you'd think you were in the midwest, were it not for the palm trees, oranges, and 100 degree Septembers. Very safe out here--I forget to lock my door all the time, no problem. To me, this is paradise.

I go into LA proper all the time for entertainment, i.e. to see the footprints at the Chinese Theater and other such things. I go to the Hollywood Bowl several times every summer where I get Carnegie Hall level entertainment for Dodger Stadium level prices :) Plus, great view of the Hollywood Sign, though I've never hiked it (heard its easy), and it's right next to DW Griffith's Barn and near the Walk of Fame. I see lots of Broadway touring shows at the incredible art deco Pantages Theater and see Disney movies across the street at another incredible art deco theater, THe El Capitan. But I've never been able to afford to make it to the TCM Film Festival, even though I live here. :( Lots of Hollywood Movie stuff is spread around the city, which surprises most tourists who think uber just hast to drop them off at Hollywood and Vine and they'll see everything. Sorry, guys, but LA is super spread out! For example, out here in the Pasadena area where I live (45 minutes from Hollywood) we got the Huntington museum where tons of movies were filmed, the Pasadena Playhouse where many classic actors honed their skills, the LA County Arboretum where even more movies were filmed, including Lucky Baldwin's house and vintage train station, etc. This is a big place, guys!

Gotta say the coolest thing I just barely discovered this past summer is the William S. Hart Ranch (as in the silent movie cowboy) which is in Santa Clarita (an hour away from me). It is the house he built to live in and has movie props, western art, real western artifacts, and lots of cool stuff inside. Plus it's just a cool house -- I mean literally-- the house is like 30 degrees cooler thanks to 18 inch walls. :) I walked away from his house thinking he is a really cool guy. Everyone should visit-- he left his house to the state part system under the provision that it would always have free admission. His idea was that his fans spent their nickles and dimes to see him, so they would always be welcome at his house.

As for your trouble posting, spence, I've always had trouble typing and posting from tablets and phones--some annoying glitch. That's why I usually post from my old fashioned desktop. :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first real trip to Los Angeles these were my Film Noir priorities.

The touchstones of Film Noir, L.A. City Hall, Union Station (beautiful BTW), the Bradbury Building (where I found a piece of it laying on the sidewalk looks like a round topped finial), Angels Flight which had just started running again but unfortunately wast open to public yet (2017), South Hill Street, Main Street, South Broadway and its crumbling theaters, and the Los Angeles River. Paid my respects to the last of Bunker Hill by walking into the Third Street Tunnel. I look at the new skyscrapers where Bunker Hill used to be as Bunker Hill's tombstones. Drove around Chinatown, drove down "The Nickel" (it's pretty bad, BTW), parked up on Hollywood Blvd at the Hollywood Freeway and walked West to North La Brea and back, saw Musso and Franks, Grauman's Chinese Theater (or whatever it's called now), The Egyptian Theater, The Frolic Room, and the rest. Drove by Pinks, drove down Sunset Blvd. to the Pacific Coast Highway. Drove up the PCH to Malibu. At sunset drove Mulholland Drive from 405 back to the Hollywood freeway. Drove down to Santa Monica but couldn't find a place to park (wrong time of day but would have visited the pier and would have also driven down to see Venice (next time). As far as I'm concerned that's the real deal.

My wife wanted to do the Universal Studio Tour, I hated it BTW, worst part of the trip, more like an expensive amusement park, waste of time and money. I think the Warner Brothers Tour (at least the way it's described) may be more worthwhile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

My first real trip to Los Angeles these were my Film Noir priorities.

The touchstones of Film Noir, L.A. City Hall, Union Station (beautiful BTW), the Bradbury Building (where I found a piece of it laying on the sidewalk looks like a round topped finial), Angels Flight which had just started running again but unfortunately wast open to public yet (2017), South Hill Street, Main Street, South Broadway and its crumbling theaters, and the Los Angeles River. Paid my respects to the last of Bunker Hill by walking into the Third Street Tunnel. I look at the new skyscrapers where Bunker Hill used to be as Bunker Hill's tombstones. Drove around Chinatown, drove down "The Nickel" (it's pretty bad, BTW), parked up on Hollywood Blvd at the Hollywood Freeway and walked West to North La Brea and back, saw Musso and Franks, Grauman's Chinese Theater (or whatever it's called now), The Egyptian Theater, The Frolic Room, and the rest. Drove by Pinks, drove down Sunset Blvd. to the Pacific Coast Highway. Drove up the PCH to Malibu. At sunset drove Mulholland Drive from 405 back to the Hollywood freeway. Drove down to Santa Monica but couldn't find a place to park (wrong time of day but would have visited the pier and would have also driven down to see Venice (next time). As far as I'm concerned that's the real deal.

My wife wanted to do the Universal Studio Tour, I hated it BTW, worst part of the trip, more like an expensive amusement park, waste of time and money. I think the Warner Brothers Tour (at least the way it's described) may be more worthwhile. 

My husband and I did the Sony Pictures tour on our honeymoon.  His cousin worked at Sony (she has since changed jobs) and she hooked us up with free tickets for the studio tour.  The Sony lot used to be the old MGM lot.  We saw the street where Gene Kelly filmed the title song for Singin' in the Rain, we went into the old recording studio where Judy Garland recorded "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."  The recording studio had been around since the 1920s and apparently had such amazing acoustics that people from other studios would rent the space.  The room was very bare bones and somewhat in shambles, but the tour guide explained that it's never been remodeled (only maintained), because people were afraid of ruining the acoustics.  Barbra Streisand apparently purchased state of the art recording equipment for the studio.  The recording booth is known as the "Barbra Streisand recording studio" or something like that.  But that space was used to record the score to Star Wars and Pixar uses it for the music for their films.  It was a really fun tour and it was free (to us, at least)! 

Two of my bucket list goals is to go down to LA one year to attend a TCM Film Festival and also to visit the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences museum that is opening next year.  My husband, sister and I are driving down to the LA area in April--but we're going to Disneyland, not LA. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

....drove down Sunset Blvd. to the Pacific Coast Highway. Drove up the PCH to Malibu. At sunset drove Mulholland Drive from [the] 405 back to the Hollywood freeway.

Nice write-up here, CJ.

However, if you might at all be interested in the thought of using the correct local lingo in any subsequent postings, please take note of the minor changes I've made to the above portion of your previous posting.

(...you see, Angelenos NEVER say "the" Pacific Coast Highway, it's just "Pacific Coast Highway" or just "PCH", but then ironically Angelenos ALWAYS add the word "the" when in description to the numerical freeway designations they're referencing) 

;)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, Dargo, one of the very few regionalisms I've encountered in Southern California is the use of "the" before numerical freeway designations: "You take the 5 north to the 101," etc. Perhaps it's because Southern Californians consider the freeways worthy of that additional respect, for they spend most of their lives on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kingrat said:

Yes, Dargo, one of the very few regionalisms I've encountered in Southern California is the use of "the" before numerical freeway designations: "You take the 5 north to the 101," etc. Perhaps it's because Southern Californians consider the freeways worthy of that additional respect, for they spend most of their lives on them.

LOL

Yeah, I suppose that might explain it to some extent, kingrat. ;)

And, would also explain the primary reason why after this ol' native Angeleno retired from working an airline job at LAX for many years, I'd find, first the town of Prescott AZ and then a couple years later the town of Sedona AZ quite a bit less congested.

(...however, in just the seven years I've been in Sedona now, I've noticed an ever increasing rate of tourist traffic, but even still nothing at all like "THE" 405's is most often) ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2018 at 7:25 AM, cigarjoe said:

My wife wanted to do the Universal Studio Tour, I hated it BTW, worst part of the trip, more like an expensive amusement park, waste of time and money.

Sorry about that, but that's what I'd expect nowadays.

I went on the Universal tour in 1977 and it was pretty good. I actually spotted Edith Head and a few "stars" walking around. They even had "meet the star" booths set up for autographs. I believe Nick Nolte was in one of those booths & I thought, "this guy's a romantic lead?" What did I know, I was 16.

We saw the Psycho mansion, the "suburban street" and other outdoor locations. Even new "Bruce" the shark from JAWS was part of the display tour! (guess he can't be moved) I saw JAWS afterwards and couldn't believe that crummy metal mechanical shark looked so good in the movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us