spence

Who either has visited HOLLYWOOD or lives nearby & your opinions please?

45 posts in this topic

Many that read my almost 4,000 posts probably saw my (3) vacations to what is now not the same Empire *GABLE was voted "KING OF HOLLYWOOD"OF IN FANS POLL IN 1938, UNFORTUNATELY

QUESTION BEING & CERTAINLY HOPE SOME THROW IN 2 CENTS THIS TIME-(my past couple items got nada a reply recently, a first)

AGAIN, WHO EITHER HAS ALSO VACATIONED IN HOLLYWOOD-(even ultra old stories welcome, they are more interesting) OR JUST HAS LIVED IN AREA, OR OF COURSE STILL DOES

(P.SD. FOR THOSE INTEESTED I HAVE SEVERAL & SOME UP DATE BOOKS THAT YOU'D LIKELY ENJOY, PLUS JUST ABOVE MY DESK HERE IS AN INCREDIBALLY DETAILED MAP, NOT ONLY OF TINSEL-TOWN BUT EVERY SINGLE TINY STREET, POINTS WAY TO ANAHEIM-(44 MILES) & PLACE I REALLY WANT TO CHECK OUT MOST NOW *SINATRA'S FMR HOUSE & FINAL RESTING PLACE-(very modest) IN PALM SPRINGS.  WE COULDN'T RENT A CAR, SO HAD TO TAKE CABS, BUSES & DESPITE THEM HAVIUNBG A HUGE SBWAY SYSTEM-(HCOC & A LKADY SENT ME TONS OF SUBWAY MAPS & TIDBITS)

PLEASE REPLY W/YOUR OWN STORIES

& DESPITE WHAT MOST SAY & THINK, AVCG FOLK LIVE THERE TOO. G. STOIRE WORKERS, CABBIES, 7-11 & SAME THING HERE IJ FL & EVEN CIGS SAME PRICE?

The Hollywood you refer to is a concept, an idea. It lives in the mind of people who want to remember a yesteryear as if real life was a hollywood movie.

In reality Hollywood is just a part of town like any other. Lots of steep hills, traffic, no parking. Most of those famous places you refer to aren't in Hollywood proper. L.A. is such a spread out metropolis, you can travel several miles and still be considered "In Los Angeles".

So if you really want to visit cemeteries, famous homes and the like, you better get a full tank of gas and lots of money because its expensive up there.

• Like 2

WAY back in the 1950's we went (combined with a trip to DISNEYLAND)---then, there was the "map to the movie stars' homes", and lots of postcards featuring them.

In 1966, went on a TOUR of the Universal Studios---we visited the sets of GAMBIT (1966, Michael Caine), and also saw the "Psycho" mansion with the motel nearby, all kept standing. It was thrilling to take a tour of the studio, but it kind of killed the magic of movies in a way.

Then, in 1982, (POLTERGEIST was showing in Hollywood), it was the fun of going to a seminar about Alfred Hitchcock's films, given by Donald Spoto (to promote his books.) Tippi Hedren and Janet Leigh attended and spoke. It was also a "shopping trip" to find movie posters from the past, visiting specialty shops, and certain dealers who sold out of their homes.

Everything about Los Angeles and the Hollywood area seemed very OLD, a little grubby and lived-in, and there were few fancy buildings. Everything seemed to be small and one-story, perhaps because of the danger of earthquakes.

1 hour ago, GGGGerald said:

The Hollywood you refer to is a concept, an idea. It lives in the mind of people who want to remember a yesteryear as if real life was a hollywood movie.

In reality Hollywood is just a part of town like any other. Lots of steep hills, traffic, no parking. Most of those famous places you refer to aren't in Hollywood proper. L.A. is such a spread out metropolis, you can travel several miles and still be considered "In Los Angeles".

So if you really want to visit cemeteries, famous homes and the like, you better get a full tank of gas and lots of money because its expensive up there.

I agree-(1st of all thanx for replying, at least someone did so-far??) in pt on both sides of the aile being it is now a state of mind & now-(they warn mostly women) to get off HOLLYWOOD, BLVD at night in his awful era. & as to the price of things as I;ve long said & often on here, people-(even 7-11 employees, cabbies, g. store workers & just same normal jobs we find in our areas, do get a little more-(I always asked cabbies & others) the prices are almost same as crappy FL down here in "DEVIl'S ISLAND" & ALL FLAT, DANK, HUMID-(worst pt), LOWER INTELLGENCE WITH MOST FOLKS, A TON CANNOT EVEN READ & STILL GET D. LICENSE & CAN READ SIGNS??? & MOST OF ALL IGNORENT OF MOST IMPORTANT THINGS, DOESN'T ALWAYS MEAN STUPID THOUGH, BUT THATS HERE TOO OF COURSE. & THOSE "M.O.U.N.T.A.I.N.S!"

You are 100%on the money in what people see an old old movie tv, It is not the same, no huge glamour, spotlights & of course THE HEAVYWEIGHT STARS!? I knew for yrs we ere to locate what was still-standing though in advance & dwindling ever since?  THE ULTIMATE VIEW AT TOP OF "GRIFFITH OBSERVATORY"

55 minutes ago, papyrusbeetle said:

WAY back in the 1950's we went (combined with a trip to DISNEYLAND)---then, there was the "map to the movie stars' homes", and lots of postcards featuring them.

In 1966, went on a TOUR of the Universal Studios---we visited the sets of GAMBIT (1966, Michael Caine), and also saw the "Psycho" mansion with the motel nearby, all kept standing. It was thrilling to take a tour of the studio, but it kind of killed the magic of movies in a way.

Then, in 1982, (POLTERGEIST was showing in Hollywood), it was the fun of going to a seminar about Alfred Hitchcock's films, given by Donald Spoto (to promote his books.) Tippi Hedren and Janet Leigh attended and spoke. It was also a "shopping trip" to find movie posters from the past, visiting specialty shops, and certain dealers who sold out of their homes.

Everything about Los Angeles and the Hollywood area seemed very OLD, a little grubby and lived-in, and there were few fancy buildings. Everything seemed to be small and one-story, perhaps because of the danger of earthquakes.

papy, you must study in advance to know what you want to see if there visiting. I found about 98% of folks already living there couldfn;t give a hang about THE ONCE LEGENDARY EMPOIRE though, except an elderly & no legged man, w/wheelchair-(there were a couple) cleaning the "WALK-OF-FAME STARS" with poilish

I am a former longtime resident of   LOS ANGELES.  I grew up there.  I went to University High School, where some of my classmates were Johanah Lancaster, Ronnie Lewis and Lorna Luft and Mirishe's daughter ( I did not know her personally.).  They didn't attend class at the same time.  Johanah Lancaster was super brainy as I recall. WE didn't think twice about their being celebrity kids.  They were one of us. I remember we had wonderful assemblies with the talent pool at the High School.  The Vietnam war was raging and that was one of the major concerns of the student body.

I grew up in Westwood, which was a lovely little hamlet.  Our pride and joy was the University , UCLA.  I grew up in a college town.  The professors lived nearby. The original quad at UCLA is so beautiful with ROYCE HALL being at the center.  Those buildings were modeled after THE ROMANESQUE BUILDINGS and CHURCHES AT LOMBARDY, ITALY.  UCLA was the seat of higher learning for Los Angeles. Culture and learning came through the university, plus great athletics. The UCLA Cinema school is one of the best in the nation. UCLA has a well respected Medical School, which is in the forefront of research.

Therefore, there is more to Hollywood than movies and celebrities.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, papyrusbeetle said:

Yes, exactly pb. I grew up, lived and worked in the L.A. area almost all my life, and so remember when the tallest building in all of Greater L.A. was the oft-seen in films and on TV 32 story L.A. City Hall, as during the time it was built, 1926-28, it was evidently thought that with all the seismic activity in the region and with the building materials and methods available at the time, 32 stores would be about as tall a building that could be constructed and still be reasonably earthquake "safe".

Now days however, and with more modern building construction designs and materials, L.A. City Hall is pretty much dwarfed by many of the surrounding skyscrapers in Downtown Los Angeles.

(...in fact, in a couple of weeks I'll once again be driving to my old stomping grounds of L.A. and through Downtown L.A. in order to attend a British motorcycle rally, and I'll probably, as I did last year, once again be somewhat amazed at all those tall tall building I'll see just off the freeways there)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

Yep! You got it, Gerald.

OR, as I'VE said many many times over the years, the vast percentage of people who live and work in Los Angeles are pretty much just like people are in Des Moines Iowa, or Peoria Illinois, or well you name it!

Yep, 'cause just like those places, the vast majority of people in L.A. have nothing at ALL to do with the entertainment business, are NOT any more "shallower" or "nuttier" than any other Americans, AND are just good hard-workin' 9-to-5ers just like they are in other parts of this country.

(...they just don't have to freeze their poor butts off half the year like people do in Des Moines or Peoria, or well you name it, THAT'S all!!!!)

LOL

53 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yes, exactly pb. I grew up, lived and worked in the L.A. area almost all my life, and so remember when the tallest building in all of Greater L.A. was the oft-seen in films and on TV 32 story L.A. City Hall, as during the time it was built, 1926-28, it was evidently thought that with all the seismic activity in the region and with the building materials and methods available at the time, 32 stores would be about as tall a building that could be constructed and still be reasonably earthquake "safe".

Now days however, and with more modern building construction designs and materials, L.A. City Hall is pretty much dwarfed by many of the surrounding skyscrapers in Downtown Los Angeles.

(...in fact, in a couple of weeks I'll once again be driving to my old stomping grounds of L.A. and through Downtown L.A. in order to attend a British motorcycle rally, and I'll probably, as I did last year, once again be somewhat amazed at all those tall tall building I'll see just off the freeways there)

THANX DARGHO & ALWAS LOVE "THE GROUCHO"  Unfortunately once again & getting to be everytime I post/write something over even 1015 minutes I get cut off before posting  WILL SAVE YOU STORY & CHECK IT LATER  THEY NEVER APOGOLIZE OF COIURSE EITHER

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yep! You got it, Gerald.

OR, as I'VE said many many times over the years, the vast percentage of people who live and work in Los Angeles are pretty much just like people are in Des Moines Iowa, or Peoria Illinois, or well you name it!

Yep, 'cause just like those places, the vast majority of people in L.A. have nothing at ALL to do with the entertainment business, are NOT any more "shallower" or "nuttier" than any other Americans, AND are just good hard-workin' 9-to-5ers just like they are in other parts of this country.

(...they just don't have to freeze their poor butts off half the year like people do in Des Moines or Peoria, or well you name it, THAT'S all!!!!)

LOL

YOU HIT IT ON THE HEAD PAL!  Now only a STATE OF MIND  Though as I wrote earlier I studied all still-standings classioc places from books & mags, the net wasn't yet around then of course

I own a few books you & others craving same info I can suggest, want them as a keeper tiP?

"LAMPARSKI'S HIDDEN HOLLYWOOD" is just one & picked it up around 1979 at age 15 at best  Not a great boo & fairly small, but worth it.  Even tore down rather humble house Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer-(l927-59) was killed in, resorting to walking dogs for a living by then. Raised-(don't like that silly phrase though) few yrs ago & schoolkids would pay the current residents child a quarter to just look at the bullet hole for yrs?

SIMPLY FIND "HOLLYWOOD BABYLON" DISGUSTING & NOT FACTUAL EITHER, GOT IT AS A CMAS GIFT MID '80's FROM MY MOM< she didn't know how awful & nasty it was/is I eventually gave it to some lady. & my grandmother-(her fav for decades was *GABLE by the way, even got her The Citadel series-(also out of print) "FILMS OF CLARK GABLE-(I own 7, but mostly wanted NJATALIE WOOD'S)

Anyhow, she immediately gave back "BABYLON" & only after 1st chapter & Arbuckle/Rappa)

BUT, THE KANE OF ALL THESE BOOKS IS TITLED  "HOLLYWOOD, THEN & NOW!" trust me, once you pick it uyp, very hard to put it back down. Has split screens on Old Tinsel-Town & Now  & not all text either some, mostly absolutely gorgeous photos   It's in living rm on my book shelf, still had not as much room on that lg bookcase & since I moved here in May 2014, my, or lots more are in lg boxes as are my tapes-(vhs, cd's, cassettes & dvd's!)

LET ME KNOW HOW THOSE & THIS REPLY TURN OUT PAL?

(FINAL CUT: My by far largest book, must way well over 50lbs is another coffee table book my ma' once got me for c;'mas/birthday around 1984 "DAVID O. SELZNICK'S HOLLYWOOD" OSBORNE'S "85 YEARS OF THE OSCAR" runner-up in size, maybe

TRY HARVEST BOOKS & WEBSITE OUT OF PA, they have even ort did out opfr print books

:?

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yep! You got it, Gerald.

LOL

Though on my (3) trips average prices-(I;m positive rents are more though) 7-11's, G. stores, cabs & just regular places, cigs are about same as down here in "HELL!" PLUS THOSE MOUNTAINS & DRY HEAT!   NOVEMBER WAS AS TREMENDOIUSA AS COULDS BE, ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT THE STUNING VIEW FROM GRIFFITH OBVERVATORY!!!

4 hours ago, arpirose said:

I am a former longtime resident of   LOS ANGELES.  I grew up there.  I went to University High School, where some of my classmates were Johanah Lancaster, Ronnie Lewis and Lorna Luft and Mirishe's daughter ( I did not know her personally.).  They didn't attend class at the same time.  Johanah Lancaster was super brainy as I recall. WE didn't think twice about their being celebrity kids.  They were one of us. I remember we had wonderful assemblies with the talent pool at the High School.  The Vietnam war was raging and that was one of the major concerns of the student body.

I grew up in Westwood, which was a lovely little hamlet.  Our pride and joy was the University , UCLA.  I grew up in a college town.  The professors lived nearby. The original quad at UCLA is so beautiful with ROYCE HALL being at the center.  Those buildings were modeled after THE ROMANESQUE BUILDINGS and CHURCHES AT LOMBARDY, ITALY.  UCLA was the seat of higher learning for Los Angeles. Culture and learning came through the university, plus great athletics. The UCLA Cinema school is one of the best in the nation. UCLA has a well respected Medical School, which is in the forefront of research.

Sure you must have visited (2) WESTWOOD places "WESTWOOD, CEM" & "WESTWOOD, VILLAGE" AM I CORRECT & YOUR OPINIONS ON THEM. WAS LAST THERE TWICE IN '99

HAS ANYBVODY YET TAKEN THE SUBWAY SYSTEM? First shown in 1994's SPEED ($124m.) (***1/2)

& a couple more afterward like Cruise in 2004's COLLATERAL? ($105m.) (**1/2)?

I strill have tons of it's bus company jazz,etc & lots of it's subway system info, 1st sent by HCOC & a lady pal of mine, never did use that SUBWAY though?

4 hours ago, arpirose said:

arpirose, really want to hear more of not only WESTWOOD-(made me feel great day I visited after 18yrs after her 1981 stunned death, that NATALIE had more flowers on her grave vs. MM legendary niche on this particular day

&ASTRO BURGER (think still there?) & just across Gower from old RKO Radio Studios & that legendary GLOBE that OUTRAGEOUSALY they now to also plabn to remove???  Has best hamburgers I ever ate

& on another bus tour-(during HOLLYWOODS GOLDEN AGE & STUDIO-SYSTEM (circa 1925-1963) they still had those wonderful double decker tour buses, still have 'em but no roof on it nowadays somehow?  I've seen actual footage courtesy of TCM of *Jimmy Stewart even going out to these old double deckers signing autographs, Got good shot of his fmr home on Roxbury

I went on a fairly good first time tour called TROLLEYWOOD, but it was called THE OLD FASAHIONED TOUR & only stuck to streets & famed locales in mid HOLLYWOOD. Used it 2 more times (TROLLYWOOD) but these were much longer at over 5 & 1/2 hrs & went just about everywhere, even letting passengers off for certain places to hang out  VENICE BEACH, GREYSTONE MANSION & PARK-(where the likes of Witches of Eastwick, The Bodyguard, Ghostbusters, Beverly Hills Cop & more were shot on the grounds & even inside & this a was extra bonus, guide said to look up a very steep hill above it & that GYPSY ROSE LEE-(l9l4-70) once owned the house, then occupied by Suzanne Sommers. (P.S. I suggested a few books on HOLLYWOOD & IT'S HISTORY & EVEN NOW-(A MUST HAVE FANS!!! & I;m not easily impressed) "HOLLYWOOD, THEN AND NOW"-(check Amazon first)  Plus I have a couple oithers on subject, "THIS IS HOLLYWOOD" much smaller but fun & informative & accurate too, because I always cross reference ) It has MARILYN on cover from BUS STOP. & I got it in TINSEL-TOWN, but see it on Amazon a lot) Fairly very $cheap$ the former though is not & a coffee table book In Nov. 99 tour 5 & 1/.2 hours had to drive up on MULHOLLAND, DR OF COURSE BT *BRANDO'S MANSION TOTALLY COVERED IN FOLIAGE & CLOSE PAL & CO-STAR *NICHOLSON'S CAN BE VIEWED A BIT MORE. AFTER *BRANDO DIED IN 2004, *JACK PURCHASED HIS HOME & THEN SOLD IT OFF. & EVEN MORE UNFORTUNATE WAS ALWQAYTS WANTUIBG TO SEE THE LEGENDARY ERROL FLYNN-(l909-59) MANSION ON MULHOLLAND TOO, BUT THE DAMN TREE PEOPLE TOTALLY TOOK IT OVER ON THIS DAY? & LIKE HER GRAVE ALSO WANTED TO SEE NATALIE'S SURPRISINGLY HUMBLE HOME ON CANON DRIVE-(typical of her huh) LATER SOLDS TO PEGGY LEE. & THIS FURTHERS WHAT I ONLY LOGGED A COUPLE HRS AGO K. DOUGLAS, AS IF STALKING BOUGHT HIS OWN PLACE ALSO ON CANON DRIVE IN B. HILLS-(sure she loved that one as well!) THIUNG IS WHEN TROLLEYWOOD FIR%ST SAID THEY WERE NOTY GOING DOWN CANON, DUE TO NO SARS BEING ON IT, I GOT HOT & TOLD HIM HIS MGR SAID VIA PHONE THEY PROMISED IT, SO THEY DID

11 minutes ago, spence said:

&ASTRO BURGER (think still there?) & just across Gower from old RKO Radio Studios & that legendary GLOBE that OUTRAGEOUSALY they now to also plabn to remove???  Has best hamburgers I ever ate

If you're into chili burgers at all spence, you should have tried THIS place on the corner of Rampart and Beverly for one of the sloppiest and best tasting ones you're ever likely to have...

1280px-052607-005-Tommys.jpg

(...used to stop here almost every time after going to a Dodger home game...MMMMMMmmmmmm!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WELP, YOU FOLKS EITHER DELETE MY ENTIRE POST< WILL NEVER REPLY ON THIS ONGOING TROUBLE OR ONLY POST SOME OF MY POST   W.H.Y.???

I only about half an hour again write this here, but TCM cut this section off, again & never say they are sorry or explain why either???

Check my above post on HOLLYWOOD & MORE  Now after (7) times all day of having to log back in to try & either finish article or see if entire one has finally been posted?

They edited out about quarter of that above one PLEASE SEND TIPS ON THIS???

THERE IS A TOINAGE TO WRITE ABOIUT ABOIIUT AN EMPIRE CALLED HOLLYWOODLAND left to go over my friends & keep 'em coming please

SCHWABS DRUG STORE ALSO GONE FOR MANY YEARS?-(Lana Tuner of course & a metaphor to her her infamous lg white house still standing, where bag man Johnny Stompanato was murdered in '58.

& it was as I expected somewhat over all the years, upon visiting his niche in HOLLYWOOD FOREVER, PARK-(the one bordering PARAMOUNT & OLD RKO) I could almost throw a rock & hit PARAMOUNT, NO, THE OLD RKO SIDE FROM MY MOTEL!

VALENTINO'S GRAVE IS SMALLER THAN EXPECTED & MY SHOUKDERS & CHEST ARE VERY LG-(52 inches) DUE TO YRS OF THOUSANDS OF PUSH-UPS & WGTS,etc & THAT ROW SEEMED SO NARROW TOO?> *FINCH IS JUST BEHIND YOU IN IT  Many gays just seem to hang out in that 62 acre park, I finally figured out why, their friends are interred somewhere there. YOU PROBABLY SAW IN THE NRE#WS THAT A MILLIONAIRE TYLER CASSIDY PURCHASED THAT CEM. YRS BACK & TRANSFORJMED ENTIURE PLACE, FMR OWNER HATED JEWS & BLACKS-(ironically finally laid to rest though in the Jewish section) But Cassidy then installed little movie monitors for fans to watch clips of their favs in the park, people get married,m he also has a lg movie screen pout up & fans can sit in straight chairs & watch entire films of say FAIRBANKS, SR. VALENTINO, PAUL MUNI, ALFALFA, *J. HUSTON, MICKEY ROONEY & NOW JUDY-(moved by *LIZA from Brooklyn recently), CLIFTON WEBB-0(longer story about him, for any interested & eerie too!) & MANY MORE!

ANOTHER LEGEBNDARY RESTAURANT WE ATTENDED WHEN ON H. BLVD IS STILL OLDEST IN ALL OF TINSEL-TOWN (1926-) "MUSSO & FRANKS" Ben Mankiewicz segment on it & very elderly man MANNY still working there about 90 then & Ben had to ask about his boy McQUEEN who ate there daily & in same booth. I didn't know this then or woulda got q picture of his fmr booth.

More i9nfamously it was in this now 92yr old restaurant that *BRANDO'S son Christian & his daughter Cheyenne got into a more than heated fight & only hours later Christian drove up to the Mulholland Mansion & murdered her boyfriend  FOR ABN UPDATE CHEYENNE GAINED A TON & HUNG HERSELKF IN TAHITI & AFER SERVING A COUPLE YRS IN JAIL-(Ike Turner is next cell) he got out & traveled to Pacific Northwest, also passing away from a lung infection!  *MARLON was out & out band from her Tahitian funeral too

An even more in THE FORMOSA-(both re greatly covered in that book I spoke of HOLLYWOOD THEN & NOW Formosa TINSEL-TOWN RESTAURANT-(TCM also often does an in between movies special on it, like "MUSSO & FRANKS")  Is "THE FORMOSA"-(not quite as old, but is notably for many things, mostly it's huge erray of celebrity photos all-over it's walls! They said one late evening after closing *WARREN BEATTY came in, dressed to the nines & only wanted to name all of them, over 250 or more & out loud at over 2:30 am onward. n See, it was  just across the street from *SAMUEL GOLDWYN STUDIOUS, so tons of heavyweights ate there daily.  Marilyn, *Lemmon &Tony Curtis almost daily right now-(HAVE TO LOOK IN FOREMENTIONED SUPERB BOOK FOR OTHERS THERE ARE A TON MORE EATING HERE THAN THE OLDER "M & F" UNFORTUNATELY THOUGH I DID NOT KNOW OF THIS CLASSIC RESTAURANT-(P.S. Back to "M & S" it cost us over $35.00 for 2 sands & 2 small ice teas!?) I WOULDA' WITHOUT A DOUBT BEEN LIKE *WARREN IN FIRST GOING OVER ALL THOSE PHOTOS 1st & foremost though. FUNNIEST OF ALL BIT HERE IS ON ONE DAY *JOHN "THE DUKE" WAYNE & COMPANY WERE EATING THERE & OF COURSE DRINKING-(NOTE: Legendary Hollywood columnist: James Bacon-(l914-2000) in one of my 2 BACON BOOKS, write of *JW's boozing in a section & flat out said & GABLE, *BOGART,etc WERE NO MATCH FOR *"THE DUKE'S" DRINKING!!!-(stating him a 2 fisted boozer)-(Bacon also tight w/*TRACY & did not include him for some reason in this book, not this time anyway) So, *JW finally hit the deck, but in his fav. booth & his buddies were at a loss to try & move him,. get him up, he was just too big by then. 6'4 & 1/2 & then about 225lbs. at least already. So they left him to sleep it off in the place, when owners returned early in the morning he was happy as a lark cooking everybody breakfast! FORMOSA also used in several movies "LA Confidential" just one

16 hours ago, arpirose said:

I went to USC and then later to UCLA for graduate studies. Altogether I was in the L.A. area from 1991 to 2004. I went back once in 2005, for some work-related conference in Long Beach. Then I didn't return again until 2013 when some old college chums were having a reunion. USC especially had changed a lot, the campus as well as the surrounding neighborhood. 

When I watch episodes from the last season of Hunter (1990-91) that's the L.A. I remember with nostalgia when I first moved there. Some of the movies and TV shows I was part of were filmed in various neighborhoods and beachfront communities, so I feel like I know all of L.A. County and Orange County, up from Topanga Canyon down into the Newport Beach area. 

I think Westwood is probably my favorite village. And I also have fond memories of Santa Monica. But like I said, when I went back in 2013, so much had changed...and at the same time I had changed by taking myself out of that environment. I guess it's now like a former hometown to me. I think of it with affection but I also think of it as something in the past.

• Like 1

Spence;

Boy, I went to the VILLAGE so often.  In fact, it was walking distance from our home, therefore, going to the village was a breeze. The FOX WESTWOOD THEATRE was the go to theatre as well as the PICKWOOD, which was on Pico Blvd. As for the Westwood cemetery, I never cared for its ambience. It is so cold looking with its bronze markers. It didn't have those wonderful statues that the gravesites that the HOLLYWOOD FOREVER CEMETERY has. Tyrone Power's gravesite is so beautiful with its long pool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-WimyAc9zU

There is the ART DECO MIRACLE MILE AND HANCOCK PARK, which may of the really old movie stars had mansions.

• Like 1