Sign in to follow this  
Mario500

"BUZZR" TV Programming on Pluto TV (a certain Internet video service)

24 posts in this topic

I was able to access programming from the service named BUZZR at the following address for the one named Pluto TV (note: in case you get redirected to a different stream of video, you might still be able to access the one for the service named BUZZR if your Internet browser has a function some folks might call a “back button”):

http://pluto.tv/watch/buzzr?clip=5b9ac869fadbb577d9e4e1c6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get Buzzr on free tv with my antenna. I like those old shows like Match Game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the link to work in a different browser. I use an ad blocker in my primary browser. Pluto TV claims Buzzr-Test. The ad blocker locked to the Pluto TV logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

I get Buzzr on free tv with my antenna. I like those old shows like Match Game.

Ohh, THAT'S what "Buzzr" is!  It's been airing on free Amazon Prime, and my old Match Game 70's habit is reawakening itself for the first time since I used to come home afterschool from 4th grade.  https://www.amazon.com/Match-Game-1973-Episode-00/dp/B07BMK1PFP/  (And I've newly re-discovered that Gene Rayburn really wasn't as creepy as I used to think he was, and that Bob Barker, in fact, was...Ah, remember the days when white housewives watched game shows that weren't hosted by black rap comics?)

FWICS, Buzzr seems to have package-licensed only the Mark Goodson & Bill Todman series--Match Game, Family Feud, Tattletales, Price is Right, the various incarnations of Password--like other PlutoTV channels that get one package of source material and make a "channel" out of it, but I find it better watched piece by piece than on PlutoTV's old-school-broadcast pot luck.

Oh, and I want to see who else does this:  Forty years later, anyone else still make Match Game jokes when someone deliberately leaves a sentence unfinished?  :D  In a news discussion last week about the latest Trump investigation, somebody joked "And Stormy is going to have the FBI look for Trump's........"  Naturally, my 70's-conditioned reflex was to joke, "'And Stormy is going to have the FBI look for Trump's (BLANK)'--Richard Dawson:"  "I said 'Brain' (ding!)"  

2 hours ago, Hepburn Fan said:

Either Buzzr use to be, or is planning to be on Pluto TV. The link did not work, nor can I find it anywhere in the Pluto TV lineup. It now streams on their website:
The TV Network Buzzr is Launching a FREE Online Stream

I've been watching PlutoTV for a while, and it never used to be, so it's probably joining soon.

Some channels come and go quickly, so the lineup is in a constant state of flux:  The Gorilla Channel didn't seem to last more than a month, and yet for some reason, Pluto's still showing Eye Candy, the most visually painful channel on the entire service to watch...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, EricJ said:

Ah, remember the days when white housewives watched game shows that weren't hosted by black rap comics?)

 

I have no idea what a black rap comic is.

I know about black comics. And I know about black rappers. And I also know that they have brought back celebrity game shows to the point that they are prime time viewing. They must be doing something right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I'm streaming, I watch PLUTO more than any other station. I love the Classic TV sub-station showing old 60's sitcom chestnuts and they offer 24/7 Mystery Science Theater 3000 & Rifftrax. They also offer weird "stoner" TV, like train rides through the country and high definition nature/travel footage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

I have no idea what a black rap comic is.

I know about black comics. And I know about black rappers. And I also know that they have brought back celebrity game shows to the point that they are prime time viewing. They must be doing something right.

...Good, could you tell me which one Cedric the Entertainer is?  ;)

And teetering dangerously on the border of racism, there is a need to bring back summer-replacement prime-time gameshows--okay, so Disney/ABC beat "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" into the prime-time ground twenty years ago and almost killed off the genre singlehandedly--but the hosts, audience and demographics have almost completely been taken over by the black urban audience.  (Just last month, I was in a doctor's office where the daytime Family Feud, now hosted by black comic Steve Harvey, was showing on the waiting-room TV, and hearing one mom who didn't want her kid to watch, as she thought that "too many 'booty' jokes" had crept into the former Richard Dawson/Louie Anderson daytime staple.)

There's an unspoken frustration in the public with the Game of Thrones-era of TV, and a need for comfort-food viewing again, which is why the variety-competition shows have taken over the spot that summer variety shows used to have in the 70's...Not EVERY single moment of TV has to be "Bold", "Fearless", "Groundbreaking" or "Your Next Binge-Addiction".  But back in the 70's, the only people who dreamed of getting free money on game shows, and had the available daytime afternoon free time to get it, were housewives, college students, and newlyweds who needed it, and now, with fewer housewives...they seem to have reduced the demographic appeal of Who Wants to Get Free Money?  During the 80's, the "celebrity" gameshow of Hollywood Squares became a dinosaur and the "goofy" gameshow of Press Your Luck or Let's Make a Deal became extinct, replaced by the intellectual dichotomy of Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy...Don't bother with the jokes, cars or furniture, just hand over the money.  Now we want a taste of "simple" TV again, but like the black-washing of SNL, it seems those most in touch with what Free Broadcast TV used to offer the public in the 70's and 80's are those who could never afford expensive cable in the 90's and 00's.

(Which is why Alex Trebek hosts "Jeopardy", but Snoop Dog hosted that TBS revival of "Joker's Wild".)

6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Now that I'm streaming, I watch PLUTO more than any other station. I love the Classic TV sub-station showing old 60's sitcom chestnuts and they offer 24/7 Mystery Science Theater 3000 & Rifftrax. They also offer weird "stoner" TV, like train rides through the country and high definition nature/travel footage. 

Pluto has a stoner channel--which must have gone through six different names in six months, since it couldn't decide whether it was "goofy" or "socially aware"--but those mostly show either YouTube-friendly stoner-host talk shows or...whatever public-domain pop-camp the other channels are showing.  ("Here, here's some Clutch Cargo cartoons, giggle over those!")  

The "Scenery" channels, OTOH, were geared more for high-definition TV.  The train rides on "4KTV Channel", for ex., are special programming produced for those folk who rushed out and bought a new 4KTV, and immediately wanted something to watch on it besides movies...Ie., generally the same "demo screen" mountains, temples, colorful wharfs and city skylines you see playing on 4K UHD screens at your local Best Buy.  Any tech-folk here have the same experience trying to find "special" programming for their first HDTV flatscreen, back in 2008?  B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2018 at 10:13 AM, EricJ said:

...Good, could you tell me which one Cedric the Entertainer is?  ;)

 

A stand up comedian, similar to Jerry Seinfeld or George Lopez. I've yet to hear neither of the three rap. What is your point again?

Quote

(Just last month, I was in a doctor's office where the daytime Family Feud, now hosted by black comic Steve Harvey, was showing on the waiting-room TV, and hearing one mom who didn't want her kid to watch, as she thought that "too many 'booty' jokes" had crept into the former Richard Dawson/Louie Anderson daytime staple.) 

So, Match Game (which had a white host, and the new version also has a white host), where every other answer is "boobs", Hollywood Squares( which also had a white host), where Paul Lynde got the center square for his gay innuendo humor was perfectly family friendly. Yet when a black man gets the highest rating the show has had in decades, He's the one not suitable for a family ?? :wacko:

Quote

but like the black-washing of SNL

Are you referring to the the TV show that had hundreds of cast members but, had yet to hire one black female ? And had to be publicly shamed into hiring Leslie Jones ? Now that they have two cast members, its "black washed" ?

 

Quote

Let's Make a Deal became extinct,

You do realize "Let's Make a Deal"  is on the air every morning. It also has a black host who doesn't rap.

The whole genre of daytime television becoming the dreck that it is began with people like Jerry Springer and Sally Jessy Raphael, Ricki Lake etc... all white. I don't think they rap either.

In 2018, people want diversity. You call it black washing, what did you call it when only white people starred on television ?

Time marches on, Time waits for no man.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

A stand up comedian, similar to Jerry Seinfeld or George Lopez. I've yet to hear neither of the three rap. What is your point again?

That the only people who stlll remember how good Free TV used to be (and remembering that is the only chance we have of saving it) are, unfortunately, those who never had much choice?

Quote

So, Match Game (which had a white host, and the new version also has a white host), where every other answer is "boobs", Hollywood Squares( which also had a white host), where Paul Lynde got the center square for his gay innuendo humor was perfectly family friendly. Yet when a black man gets the highest rating the show has had in decades, He's the one not suitable for a family ?? :wacko:

Ah, Match Game...  ;)  I used to think the 70's version was moronic and sniggering too, until I watched a GSN making-of feature on the show, and you have to appreciate that the appeal of that show is not about the game.  How could it be, the contestants were routinely unimaginative facepalm-worthy housewife dolts who couldn't think of another answer besides the obvious lead-in tease of "Boobs".

But you have to remember that in 70's TV, five days of shows were filmed in two days (contestants and panelists were asked to bring three changes of clothes, to make it look like they were there "every day"), and as they were trapped there for hours, the show basically became a chummy little kaffeeklatsch for host Gene Rayburn and the celebrities.  Brett Sommers recalled that the cast usually downed a few drinks with lunch break on the second filming day, so if you watch them in sequence (as on Amazon), the Thursday and Friday episodes would always get rather, erm, lively.  And unlike other hosts--he never had another one--Rayburn knew how to play along with the chaos, and stoke it, while the contestants just sort of sat and stared in blank confusion from the side.  You just didn't get that from Tattletales or Password Plus.

That's the appeal of watching a game show for reasons other than "I wish I could get money tomorrow TOO!"

(Of course, if you want socially progressive Hollywood Squares, there's always the 90's one that Whoopi Goldberg produced just to put pal Bruce Villanch's gay-innuendo in the center square, as both their memories of the old show selectively didn't go much beyond Paul Lynde either.)

Quote

Are you referring to the the (SNL) that had hundreds of cast members but, had yet to hire one black female ? And had to be publicly shamed into hiring Leslie Jones ? Now that they have two cast members, its "black washed" ?

No, I'm talking about the one where Kenan Thompson is now the promotion-ready "Lorne's Favorite Child" lead performer that Will Ferrell used to be, making "Black Jeopardy" the new marketable running sketch (like the late-90's days of SNL Movies, Michaels is still interested in what parts of the show he can commercially market), and reducing most of the sketches to the sort that Thompson used to make on Nickelodeon's old "Kenan and Kel".  
Or maybe I'm just still disgruntled about having to switch to John Oliver, after Trevor Noah pretty much let the black comics take over "The Daily Show".  ?

Oh, and name the wisecracking black female performer SNL had back in the Joe Piscopo/Eddie Murphy mid-80's.  As with most of the B-cast performers in that era, I can't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, EricJ said:

Ah, Match Game...  ;)  I used to think the 70's version was moronic and sniggering too, until I watched a GSN making-of feature on the show, and you have to appreciate that the appeal of that show is not about the game.  How could it be, the contestants were routinely unimaginative facepalm-worthy housewife dolts who couldn't think of another answer besides the obvious lead-in tease of "Boobs".

But you have to remember that in 70's TV, five days of shows were filmed in two days (contestants and panelists were asked to bring three changes of clothes, to make it look like they were there "every day"), and as they were trapped there for hours, the show basically became a chummy little kaffeeklatsch for host Gene Rayburn and the celebrities.  Brett Sommers recalled that the cast usually downed a few drinks with lunch break on the second filming day, so if you watch them in sequence (as on Amazon), the Thursday and Friday episodes would always get rather, erm, lively.  And unlike other hosts--he never had another one--Rayburn knew how to play along with the chaos, and stoke it, while the contestants just sort of sat and stared in blank confusion from the side.  You just didn't get that from Tattletales or Password Plus.

I enjoyed Match Game and I still watch the reruns on BUZZR. I like the regulars like Brett Somers, Charles Nelson Reilly and especially Richard Dawson. Brett and Charles had funny banter and Richard was always quick with a witty reply. Some of the best semi regulars were Betty White, Fannie Flagg and Patti Deutsch. They would occasionally get Oscar winners like Patty Duke and George Kennedy.

The only problem I had was with host Gene Rayburn. He tried WAY too hard to be funny but he rarely succeeded. Sharp comedians like Charles and Richard made him look like an amateur. I also thought he acted like a lecherous pervert around the attractive women, getting cheap kisses from the hot females like Loni Anderson.( I remember once Gary Burghoff asked him if his wife watched the show, Gene said "Yes", Gary replied "How come you're still married?") He was mean to contestants as well, calling them dummies when they got no matches and telling them they gave a "rotten" answer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha  Gene Rayburn.

I remember him for that mic he carried around.  Sort of looked like a cross between a police baton and a lapel mic capsule.

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/gene-rayburn.jpg

 

Speaking of oddball mics.  Today's mic du jour it seems is the Shure sm7b, with that frail little wire that connects the mic to the plug.  Definitely just for studio use or to sit in one place indefinitely.  i.e. not for live stage performances.  Original version had a huge foam windscreen that covered the whole thing, it was for radio announcers, but now everyone and their uncle who has a podcast has at least 1-3 of these.

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/shure-sm7b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I enjoyed Match Game and I still watch the reruns on BUZZR. I like the regulars like Brett Somers, Charles Nelson Reilly and especially Richard Dawson. Brett and Charles had funny banter and Richard was always quick with a witty reply. Some of the best semi regulars were Betty White, Fannie Flagg and Patti Deutsch. They would occasionally get Oscar winners like Patty Duke and George Kennedy.

Although accdg. to the documentary, Richard Dawson was never happy on the panel--he was pretty much the smartest one for answers, and contestants routinely picked him for the bonus round--and kept pressing producers Mark Goodman & Bill Todman to get off the show and get a hosting gig instead.  When G&T eventually came up with "Family Feud", they gave Dawson the host slot, and the rest is TV history.  B)  Even so, you can see a bit of snarkiness every time Dawson has to do a "funny" one-liner, and keeps delivering it in a Paul Lynde Center-Square imitation.  (The same way Gary Burghoff would do Charles Nelson Reilly imitations since he was in the same top-row corner...Yeah, they knew back then, even if we didn't.)

12 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

The only problem I had was with host Gene Rayburn. He tried WAY too hard to be funny but he rarely succeeded. Sharp comedians like Charles and Richard made him look like an amateur. I also thought he acted like a lecherous pervert around the attractive women, getting cheap kisses from the hot females like Loni Anderson.( I remember once Gary Burghoff asked him if his wife watched the show, Gene said "Yes", Gary replied "How come you're still married?") He was mean to contestants as well, calling them dummies when they got no matches and telling them they gave a "rotten" answer.

Used to have that bad impression too, but watching the show now, he's basically bringing the audience into the panel's own kick-back goof-off fun.  If the housewife contestant had a clueless response, the audience would boo, and Gene would mercilessly rib the contestant's embarrassment with "Are we really going with that answer?"  

(Sometimes the joke questions would be just a deliberate one-liner, with the punchline blanked:  One question was "A riddle--Q: What goes 'Ho-ho-ho...(whssht!)...Ho-ho-ho...(whssht!)...Ho-ho-ho'?  A:  _(BLANK)_ caught in a revolving door."  The entire audience, panel and contestant pretty much knew the answer, and Gene joked, "Well, y'knoww, it could be anything...Could be the Jolly Green Giant!"  :D )

Of course, we now know today that Bob Barker was the #MeToo-violating slimeball on "The Price is Right", and in the episodes where Barker was a Match Game celeb, we get the chance to compare Rayburn and Barker back to back on the same screen.  And Bob still comes off with more creepy insincerity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

The only problem I had was with host Gene Rayburn. He tried WAY too hard to be funny but he rarely succeeded. Sharp comedians like Charles and Richard made him look like an amateur. I also thought he acted like a lecherous pervert around the attractive women, getting cheap kisses from the hot females like Loni Anderson.( I remember once Gary Burghoff asked him if his wife watched the show, Gene said "Yes", Gary replied "How come you're still married?") He was mean to contestants as well, calling them dummies when they got no matches and telling them they gave a "rotten" answer.

Those are very good points. They are reasons why I watch the old shows. I know I won't see anything like this in the PC "#me too" world of today. Maybe I'm cold blooded but, I find them funny.

I was watching some old episodes with younger family members recently (My family was on Family Feud long ago), and they female members would squirm and go "ewwwww!!" every time Dawson would kiss a woman. :lol:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lotta "talk" here about game show history.  What gets ME are the people, who really SHOULD be old enough to know better, but STILL think BOB BARKER was the "original" host of THE PRICE IS RIGHT. And don't remember back when BILL CULLEN hosted the game (1956-'66)  And too, when SNL original announcer DON PARDO was the show's original announcer.

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, EricJ said:

Of course, we now know today that Bob Barker was the #MeToo-violating slimeball on "The Price is Right", and in the episodes where Barker was a Match Game celeb, we get the chance to compare Rayburn and Barker back to back on the same screen.  And Bob still comes off with more creepy insincerity. 

I did not like or agree with anything in this paragraph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

Those are very good points. They are reasons why I watch the old shows. I know I won't see anything like this in the PC "#me too" world of today. Maybe I'm cold blooded but, I find them funny.

I was watching some old episodes with younger family members recently (My family was on Family Feud long ago), and they female members would squirm and go "ewwwww!!" every time Dawson would kiss a woman. :lol:

Yes, I watch them for politically incorrect moments also, which most of the time I find funny. If Dawson or McLean Stevenson would make some non PC (for today) comments I would laugh because they are talented comic performers. Rayburn was not, he seemed to think he was funny, but did not always get big laughs. Also, remember when he tried to do imitations when he read the questions? His Boris Karloff and Marlon Brando Godfather voices were awful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Yes, I watch them for politically incorrect moments also, which most of the time I find funny. If Dawson or McLean Stevenson would make some non PC (for today) comments I would laugh because they are talented comic performers. Rayburn was not, he seemed to think he was funny, but did not always get big laughs. Also, remember when he tried to do imitations when he read the questions? His Boris Karloff and Marlon Brando Godfather voices were awful!

I don't mean to knock Rayburn, he did try to keep things moving. If a question or response referred to any pop culture after the 40's, he had no clue what anyone was talking about.

There was one episode where Gene is wearing a suit with intersecting pinstripes. At the close of the episode, Dawson and Charles Nelson Reilly grab some chalk and play tic tac toe on his suit !  This is why its best to leave the comedy to the comedians.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us