speedracer5

January 2019 Schedule Up!! SOTM Kathryn Grayson

90 posts in this topic

Just now, calvinnme said:

I don't know TopBilled, I can't think of anybody who worked JUST in westerns, and that includes Joel McCrea and Gary Cooper. Even Tim Holt did other types of work. Can you think of anybody eligible for SOTM who did just noirs? I can't. I think it is not that Grayson worked almost exclusively in musicals (gosh, I hate how you wring out the hyperbole in my posts! :) ), it is that Grayson was in a specific KIND of musical - the big splashy MGM musicals of the 40s and 50s. And for me, a month of that will get old.

Well, a large part of Turner's classic film catalogue (the TCM library) consists of MGM musicals. So we'll get other musical performers honored as Star of the Month in the months/years ahead. Some people really love this genre and the stars who excelled in this genre, so I am sure TCM's choice of Kathryn Grayson pleases them a great deal.

And yes, there were some people who were defined only by westerns (Roy Rogers comes to mind) or mostly by film noir and gangster pictures (George Raft comes to mind). Not everyone was versatile or able to break out of the pack and defy studio typecasting.

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Well, a large part of Turner's classic film catalogue (the TCM library) consists of MGM musicals. So we'll get other musical performers honored as Star of the Month in the months/years ahead. Some people really love this genre and the stars who excelled in this genre, so I am sure TCM's choice of Kathryn Grayson pleases them a great deal.

And yes, there were some people who were defined only by westerns (Roy Rogers comes to mind) or mostly by film noir and gangster pictures (George Raft comes to mind). Not everyone was versatile or able to break out of the pack and defy studio typecasting.

I can't see Roy Rogers ever being SOTM, although in July 2011 the SOTM was singing cowboys and he was included. George Raft was usually playing the same type of person, but he was in all sorts of films. He actually plays the good guy in quite a few, but crime and mystery were where most of his performances were, I agree. Has Raft ever been SOTM by the way? I'll have to look that up. Too late to make a long story short, usually somebody who played exclusively in one genre their entire career was not a big enough star to be SOTM.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

I can't see Roy Rogers ever being SOTM, although in July 2011 the SOTM was singing cowboys and he was included. George Raft was usually playing the same type of person, but he was in all sorts of films. He actually plays the good guy in quite a few, but crime and mystery were where most of his performances were, I agree. Has Raft ever been SOTM by the way? I'll have to look that up. Too late to make a long story short, usually somebody who played exclusively in one genre their entire career was not a big enough star to be SOTM.

To my knowledge Raft has not been selected (yet).

Usually the main thing is if the star has enough films in the Turner library. I sincerely doubt they worry about how many titles are in this genre or in that genre. Despite the fact that all but two of Grayson's films are musicals, she is still a worthy star to recognize.

Now if someone complained about her already having been honored, I'd be more on board with that argument. Especially since people like Marlon Brando, George Raft, Joan Bennett, Ricardo Montalban, Robert Preston, Audie Murphy, Yvonne De Carlo, George Murphy, Tyrone Power, Gene Tierney and Alice Faye haven't had a turn.

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

To my knowledge Raft has not been selected (yet).

Usually the main thing is if the star has enough films in the Turner library. I sincerely doubt they worry about how many titles are in this genre or in that genre.

Despite the fact that all but two of Grayson's films were musicals, she is still a worthy star to recognize. Now if someone complained about her already having been honored, I'd be more on board with that argument. Especially since people like Marlon Brando, George Raft, Joan Bennett, Ricardo Montalban, Robert Preston, George Murphy and Alice Faye haven't had a turn.

George Raft, Joan Bennett, and Robert Preston - good selections all! Alice Faye - a Fox star and I don't know if she did that many films. Marlon Brando - a post studio era star whose films are owned by a bunch of different companies. Richardo Montalban -I'm not sure how many films he was in. He did some of the MGM musicals and I remember one particular film noir he was in. Wouldn't it be great if TCM could get Wrath of Khan from Paramount?  George Murphy - I think he was more of a supporting player, and I'm not sure how many films he did before he turned to politics.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I will have to dive into this tomorrow. Kathyn Grayson is, I know, a repeat honoree. Looks like she only made 21 movies (one of them an uncredited voiceover appearance only), and without checking out all of them, a quick scan of titles seems to indicate EVERY ONE of them was made at MGM, which means they've all been on TCM dozens and dozens of times before. I hope this "free" month for TCM means some funds will be free some fresh SOTM later in the year.

Good luck on that one! :( Where are all these backlot membership funds going???

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

George Raft, Joan Bennett, and Robert Preston - good selections all! Alice Faye - a Fox star and I don't know if she did that many films. Marlon Brando - a post studio era star whose films are owned by a bunch of different companies. Richardo Montalban -I'm not sure how many films he was in. He did some of the MGM musicals and I remember one particular film noir he was in. Wouldn't it be great if TCM could get Wrath of Khan from Paramount?  George Murphy - I think he was more of a supporting player, and I'm not sure how many films he did before he turned to politics.

I'd really love to see Montalban honored. Such a versatile performer, such a long career on screen.

I just looked up the frequency of people who've been Stars of the Month on TCM. Grayson was last honored in 1996, so that was 22+ years ago.

Here is Grayson's entire credited filmography. She never did a TV movie, but she did a few TV appearances.

Andy Hardy's Private Secretary (1941)     MGM
The Vanishing Virginian (1942)                MGM
Rio Rita (1942)                                      MGM
Seven Sweethearts (1942)                     MGM
Thousands Cheer (1943)                       MGM

Anchors Aweigh (1945)                         MGM
Ziegfield Follies (1945)                          MGM (Small role in what amounts to a revue)
Two Sisters From Boston (1946)           MGM
Till The Clouds Roll By (1946)                MGM  ( Small role as Magnolia in Showboat)
It Happened in Brooklyn (1947)             MGM

The Kissing Bandit (1948)                     MGM
That Midnight Kiss (1949)                     MGM
The Toast of New Orleans (1950)           MGM
Grounds For Marriage (1951)                MGM
Show Boat (1951)                               MGM

Lovely To Look At (1952)                     MGM
The Desert Song (1953)                      Warner Brothers
So This is Love (1953)                         Warner Brothers
Kiss Me Kate (1953)                            MGM
The Vagabond King (1956)                   Paramount (Paramount still owns this)

So this is a pretty cheap SOTM expense for TCM since everything save her last film is owned by Warner Brothers. Oh, and "The Vagabond King" is not on the schedule unless I missed it. Paramount has never put this film on DVD or VHS although somebody writing a review for it for TCM apparently has seen it. Paramount - the studio where classics go to die.

P.S. - This list is so sicky sweet I need an insulin shot!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Here is Grayson's entire credited filmography. She never did a TV movie, but she did a few TV appearances.

Andy Hardy's Private Secretary (1941)     MGM   COMEDY
The Vanishing Virginian (1942)                MGM   COMEDY-DRAMA
Rio Rita (1942)                                      MGM    COMEDY with music

Ziegfield Follies (1945)                          MGM
Till The Clouds Roll By (1946)                MGM

Grounds For Marriage (1951)                MGM     ROMANTIC COMEDY

The Vagabond King (1956)                   Paramount (Paramount still owns this)

I've made comments on the ones that are not strictly musicals.

THE VAGABOND KING (1956) used to be available for streaming on Amazon Prime. That's where I saw it about three or four years ago. It's well made, has a good cast, is presented in Technicolor and it's fairly entertaining. Musicals were no longer in vogue at that point.

Since she didn't do a weekly TV series, her appearances on screen became far and few between after her last movie. She would mostly concentrate on stage work, appearing in things like Madama Butterfly and La Traviata, etc.

17 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Andy Hardy's Private Secretary (1941)     MGM
The Vanishing Virginian (1942)                MGM
Rio Rita (1942)                                      MGM

Ziegfield Follies (1945)                          MGM
Till The Clouds Roll By (1946)                MGM

Grounds For Marriage (1951)                MGM

So this is a pretty cheap SOTM expense for TCM since everything save her last film is owned by Warner Brothers. Oh, and "The Vagabond King" is not on the schedule unless I missed it. Paramount has never put this film on DVD or VHS although somebody writing a review for it for TCM apparently has seen it. Paramount - the studio where classics go to die.

P.S. - This list is so sicky sweet I need an insulin shot!

LOL! They die at Universal.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

LOL! They die at Universal.

There too! But Paramount still actually retains the rights to this one. Paramount has been licensing out some of their classics to Kino Lorber, so I will give them that.

45 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

ZIEGFELD FOLLIES and TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY are not airing in January.

Well if they only had 19 films to start with and they are not airing two that they own, TCM is really shorting itself on the SOTM schedule. I'll have to look up what they are airing later.

P.S. - I can see why those two films are not included. Grayson has a  cameo role in Ziegfeld Follies - almost all of the MGM stars do - and in "Till The Clouds Roll By" Grayson simply has a small role as Magnolia Hawks in Showboat, which again amounts to just a cameo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, calvinnme said:

Well if they only had 19 films to start with and they are not airing two that they own, TCM is really shorting itself on the SOTM schedule. I'll have to look up what they are airing later.

I created a thread that lists what's airing:

13 hours ago, calvinnme said:

TCM often makes January a little special since we have to suffer through the 31 days of Oscar (at WB, MGM, and RKO) in February. Not this time.

Ha ha ha, that's an interesting and funny interpretation, although I doubt anyone at TCM is actually saying, "Let's make January a little extra special for our viewers, since they're going to have to suffer all February!" I'm reasonably sure they don't see their programming choices the way you do! They actually seem to be pretty fond of 31 Days.

20 hours ago, mr6666 said:

" Can't say I'm excited about the SOTM selection.  Yuck! "

Agreed!!

giphy.gif

I agree.  Horrible choice!!! And they still can't designate George Sanders, Joan Bennett or Joan Blondell??????

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Fly and The Return of the Fly on January 12. Looks like these films were probably independently produced, but they were released through 20th Century Fox and hence haven't been on TCM a lot. TCM appears to be making the most of its lease time with the original. The Fly is airing in November, December AND January? However, this will be only the second-ever airing of the sequel, which previously aired in May, 2017.

Ernie Kovacs day on the 23d not scheduled yet. He didn't make very many movies. They were all either at Columbia or Fox, so I'm hoping for some off-the-beaten-path choices. How about Strangers When We Meet, which has never aired on TCM? Though we'll probably get Bell, Book and Candle ...

53 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Ha ha ha, that's an interesting and funny interpretation, although I doubt anyone at TCM is actually saying, "Let's make January a little extra special for our viewers, since they're going to have to suffer all February!" I'm reasonably sure they don't see their programming choices the way you do! They actually seem to be pretty fond of 31 Days.

That is why I essentially just use a database and a schedule.

Just noticed "The Longest Day" -- Darryl F. Zanuck's 1962 re-creation of the Allied invasion of Normandy during World War II -- is scheduled for the afternoon of Saturday, January 5. Will it be TCM's first-ever telecast of the film?

Image result for the longest day gif

I'm glad they're showing The Age of Innocence (1993) on January 6, because tomorrow they're coming to replace my cable box with a TiVo. My cable box has nearly 100 movies on it, some of which I haven't watched yet; others which I wanted to keep, and I'm going to lose them, including The Age of Innocence, one of my favorite films.  But I'll get better service, faster Internet, and a cheaper price.

I wish they would have shown another of my favorites on January 6: The Dead (James Joyce/John Huston), because it's a film that takes place on January 6: Epiphany.

24 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Just noticed "The Longest Day" -- Darryl F. Zanuck's 1962 re-creation of the Allied invasion of Normandy during World War II -- is scheduled for the afternoon of Saturday, January 5. Will it be TCM's first-ever telecast of the film?

Image result for the longest day gif

According to Moviecollector's database, it has been on TCM 11 times. The last time was January 2017. 

4 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

According to Moviecollector's database, it has been on TCM 11 times. The last time was January 2017. 

Thanks so much! Don't know how I missed that most recent telecast. I hope TCM shows the movie again on June 6, 2019.

I wish TCM had programmed a night of movies starring The Beatles for Wednesday, January 30. That will be the 50th anniversary of the Fab Four's last concert -- from the roof of their Apple Corps headquarters in London. The iconic segment is featured in the documentary "Let It Be," for which The Beatles won 1970 Oscars for Best Original Song Score.

18 hours ago, calvinnme said:

You said it. Plus she was pretty much one note - MGM musicals. TCM often makes January a little special since we have to suffer through the 31 days of Oscar (at WB, MGM, and RKO) in February. Not this time.

I just can't with her singing.  I love musicals and most of the musical stars--especially the MGM ones.  But Grayson gets on my last nerve.  That singing of hers could shatter glass.  I love Anchors Aweigh but always fast forward (or mute) her singing scenes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I just can't with her singing.  I love musicals and most of the musical stars--especially the MGM ones.  But Grayson gets on my last nerve.  That singing of hers could shatter glass.  I love Anchors Aweigh but always fast forward (or mute) her singing scenes. 

Two Girls from Boston her singing is kept to a minimum even though it’s about a girl who is trying to get in with an opera company and her sister. She’s at least a little interesting in that one.