speedracer5

January 2019 Schedule Up!! SOTM Kathryn Grayson

90 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, HelenBaby2 said:

Two Girls from Boston her singing is kept to a minimum even though it’s about a girl who is trying to get in with an opera company and her sister. She’s at least a little interesting in that one. 

Was that movie just on? I think it is Grayson and June Allyson?? 

That is my other issue with Grayson.  She's so boring! I think I would prefer June Allyson over her! At least Allyson seems to have some energy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Was that movie just on? I think it is Grayson and June Allyson?? 

That is my other issue with Grayson.  She's so boring! I think I would prefer June Allyson over her! At least Allyson seems to have some energy.

Yes, that’s it. I found it fascinating that each actress was playing a part that the other would normally play. It’s like they got the script and switched the parts they were assigned to play. I’ve only seen it once but I remember that I didn’t mind it. I’m like you though. I’m a fan of Allyson but Grayson not so much. 

18 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Ha ha ha, that's an interesting and funny interpretation, although I doubt anyone at TCM is actually saying, "Let's make January a little extra special for our viewers, since they're going to have to suffer all February!" I'm reasonably sure they don't see their programming choices the way you do! They actually seem to be pretty fond of 31 Days.

I'm sure they don't actually THINK that way. But from all of the moaning and groaning on this board about the monotony of the 31 Days of Oscar, the TCM programmers cannot be unaware as to how most of us feel about that annual festival.  I don't know, since message boards are a dying means of communication, maybe TCM doesn't pay that much attention to what we say here versus ten years ago.

17 hours ago, Swithin said:

I'm glad they're showing The Age of Innocence (1993) on January 6, because tomorrow they're coming to replace my cable box with a TiVo. My cable box has nearly 100 movies on it, some of which I haven't watched yet; others which I wanted to keep, and I'm going to lose them, including The Age of Innocence, one of my favorite films.  But I'll get better service, faster Internet, and a cheaper price.

I wish they would have shown another of my favorites on January 6: The Dead (James Joyce/John Huston), because it's a film that takes place on January 6: Epiphany.

I've gone through that several times when mine died and they had to replace it. Never enough time to watch what I've recorded. :(

One thing unusual I noticed about the schedule is they appeared to have abandoned some of the regular programming the last week in January.  There's no Noire Alley or the regular Saturday morning programming on Jan 26-27, maybe due to the SAG Life Achievement Awards theme they have, and/or maybe they just want to give Eddie an extra week on top of February (in which he's normally preempted for 31 days of Oscar).   In any case, I hope he's back in March - I've come to anticipate Noire Alley each week.

Chuck

On 10/22/2018 at 8:29 PM, speedracer5 said:

23 minutes ago, chaz45342 said:

One thing unusual I noticed about the schedule is they appeared to have abandoned some of the regular programming the last week in January.  There's no Noire Alley or the regular Saturday morning programming on Jan 26-27, maybe due to the SAG Life Achievement Awards theme they have, and/or maybe they just want to give Eddie an extra week on top of February (in which he's normally preempted for 31 days of Oscar).   In any case, I hope he's back in March - I've come to anticipate Noire Alley each week.

You're right...the end of January deviates from the norm, though there is still an evening for the Star of the Month during the last week.

23 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I just can't with her singing.  I love musicals and most of the musical stars--especially the MGM ones.  But Grayson gets on my last nerve.  That singing of hers could shatter glass.  I love Anchors Aweigh but always fast forward (or mute) her singing scenes. 

I have nightmares thinking about a Kathryn Grayson/Jeannette MacDonald Film Festival with the two of them warbling away ad nauseum.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, lydecker said:

I have nightmares thinking about a Kathryn Grayson/Jeannette MacDonald Film Festival with the two of them warbling away ad nauseum.

With Butterfly McQueen making a special guest appearance. 

Blech!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lydecker said:

I was thinking about saying the same thing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Poor MacDonald. Always getting mocked on here. I must be one of the few who really likes her.

:wub: :) 

You're not alone, Gershwin fan.  I like her, too, especially in the 4 musicals she did with Maurice Chevalier.  I'm also a big fan of Gershwin.

• Like 2

Not sure why Grayson and MacDonald are getting disparaged.

If TCM featured Betty Grable as Star of the Month, it would be another tribute including mostly musicals. Why has a bias seemingly developed against musicals? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

If TCM featured Betty Grable as Star of the Month, it would be another tribute including mostly musicals. Why has a bias seemingly developed against musicals? 

Not musicals, per se (though I admit it is not my favorite genre.) In my case, "operatic-style" musicals make me cringe.  They just come off as too silly to me.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Not musicals per se (though I admit it is not my favorite genre.) In my case, "operatic-style musicals!"  Just comes off as too silly to me.

I was going to put forth a theory that musicals suffer by comparison to film noir. Perhaps if Kathryn Grayson had also done gritty crime dramas, then today's TCM viewers and message board posters might be more receptive to her.

I do think there is some bias in favor of noir, against musicals. I don't know why that is.

Actually I find a lot of noir to be just as contrived as operatic style musical productions. And I enjoy both genres equally.

54 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Not all musicals are created equal.  Just fingernails in the chalkboard musicals.  Lydecker gets it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, starliteyes said:

You're not alone, Gershwin fan.  I like her, too, especially in the 4 musicals she did with Maurice Chevalier.  I'm also a big fan of Gershwin.

She was quite different in her Paramount pre-Nelson Eddy days........

20 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Not all musicals are created equal. 

Right. Nobody said they were. I was musing about the overall receptivity to the musical genre on this forum. Especially in this particular thread.

I was hoping MARION DAVIES would finally get a Star of the Month tribute.

f9973b651b3d8cc422d62ff8ff7c89ad.jpg

e0b77ea19263a1a92d3039a0b33cfdd2.jpg

Plus I've licensed our restoration of BEAUTY'S WORTH (1922) for 2019 broadcast and streaming on TCM. Ben Model is doing live accompaniment for our restoration in the DC area Nov 3 & 4 along with Davies' WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER, SHOW PEOPLE, and a rare screening of the terrific comedy THE CARDBOARD LOVER.

32 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Right. Nobody said they were. I was musing about the overall receptivity to the musical genre on this forum. Especially in this particular thread.

I'm with Lydecker here:  "In my case, "operatic-style musicals!"  Just comes off as too silly to me".   (and I also don't enjoy the music).

Like Lydecker while the musical genre isn't one of my favorite,  I'm still a fan of musicals, but not the operatic style.   First there is the music;  I'm more of a fan of swing style composer like Porter,  Gershwin,  Kern,  etc..  I.e. the type of songs one hears in Fred and Ginger musicals.     Second is the style of singing.  

Of course these operatic-style singers had major talent.    Note that my wife and I were watching Theodore Goes Wild and she asked me about Dunne since the hosts (Burnett and Douglas) had made comments that this was Dunne's first comedy film.    We discussed how Dunne had made a splash as being a singer in films like Roberta and Show Boat.     In TGW Dunne does a little singing.    She commented on the how nice her voice was but that she understood this was a singing style that wasn't my cup-of-tea.

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I'm with Lydecker here:  "In my case, "operatic-style musicals!"  Just comes off as too silly to me".   (and I also don't enjoy the music).

Like Lydecker while the musical genre isn't one of my favorite,  I'm still a fan of musicals, but not the operatic style.   First there is the music;  I'm more of a fan of swing style composer like Porter,  Gershwin,  Kern,  etc..  I.e. the type of songs one hears in Fred and Ginger musicals.     Second is the style of singing.  

Of course these operatic-style singers had major talent.    Note that my wife and I were watching Theodore Goes Wild and she asked me about Dunne since the hosts (Burnett and Douglas) had made comments that this was Dunne's first comedy film.    We discussed how Dunne had made a splash as being a singer in films like Roberta and Show Boat.     In TGW Dunne does a little singing.    She commented on the how nice her voice was but that she understood this was a singing style that wasn't my cup-of-tea.

I wouldn't say operatic style singing is an acquired taste. But some people may not care much for it. I happen to like it. I enjoy all those Grace Moore vehicles that were made at Columbia in the 30s. She has some interesting over the top numbers and the music generally adds to the drama and the romance of the story. Our recently departed message board member Janet (MCanady) sent me a rare Paramount musical from the late 30s starring Gladys Swarthout. She was another one of those operatic singers like Irene Dunne, Grace Moore and Lily Pons who parlayed her success in concerts and on radio into a movie career.

These styles may not hold up well today, but I think if you just go with it and let the magic work itself on you, the films and the musical numbers can still be entertaining. I have more of an issue with something like the biopic INTERRUPTED MELODY where it's clear Eleanor Parker is dubbed. In these earlier operatic type musicals from the 30s, it's the real deal-- real singers who had total control over how the music was presented. On a lesser scale, we even see some of the teen stars emulate them, girls like Deanna Durbin and Jane Powell who also attempt some operatic music in their movies. Again, it's something you either enjoy or you don't enjoy.

Anyway, I'm not sure why we're on this track. I guess because we're trying to discuss why some people adore Kathryn Grayson and why others want to give her the hook the minute she opens her mouth on camera.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2018 at 12:14 PM, calvinnme said:

I'm sure they don't actually THINK that way. But from all of the moaning and groaning on this board about the monotony of the 31 Days of Oscar, the TCM programmers cannot be unaware as to how most of us feel about that annual festival.  I don't know, since message boards are a dying means of communication, maybe TCM doesn't pay that much attention to what we say here versus ten years ago.

Why should TCM programmers care what a handful (< 30 or so),  folks have to say about 31 Days of Oscar?  31 Days is TCM's biggest annual marketing campaign (e.g. TCM runs ads on CNN promoting 31 Days).     

Linking newly released films (e.g. those films that are up for Oscars),  with 'classic' films is a wise way to bring attention to a niche station like TCM.         

To give up on this marketing just to please die-hard fans like us, would be silly.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

I was going to put forth a theory that musicals suffer by comparison to film noir. Perhaps if Kathryn Grayson had also done gritty crime dramas, then today's TCM viewers and message board posters might be more receptive to her.

I agree that if she had done something other than musicals those of us who are not too thrilled about her January SOTM designation would be happier.  The only non-musicals I can find in her filmography are Andy Hardy's Private Secretary (the MGM "try out" series for ingenues!) and The Vanishing Virginian.

5 minutes ago, lydecker said:

I agree that if she had done something other than musicals those of us who are not too thrilled about her January SOTM designation would be happier.  The only non-musicals I can find in her filmography are Andy Hardy's Private Secretary (the MGM "try out" series for ingenues!) and The Vanishing Virginian.

Also GROUNDS FOR MARRIAGE, which is a romantic comedy where she costars with Van Johnson.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Hey, I worship Gershwin.  But, Gershwin is about as far from Jeannette MacDonald & Kathryn Grayson "over the top" operatics as it gets. Now that I think of it, Porgy & Bess is probably the rare "opera" that I do enjoy, completely due to the Gershwin genius. No "Indian Love Call" in sight!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

I think another problem with January/Kathryn Grayson is that it comes directly on the heels of Dick Powell as December SOTM.  While Dick Powell did other genres there is an abundance of his early musicals in December (wishing ONE MORE TIME that Warren William had gotten the December SOTM nod!) and a shift in emphasis away from musicals would have seemed appropriate for January.

• Thanks 1