speedracer5

January 2019 Schedule Up!! SOTM Kathryn Grayson

90 posts in this topic

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2019-01-01

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2019-01-08

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2019-01-15

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2019-01-22

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2019-01-29

Still perusing the schedule.  Can't say I'm excited about the SOTM selection.  Yuck!

---

Special Spotlight: Elia Kazan

Spotlight: Gladiator movies

1/1 100th Birthday Primetime Tribute to Carole Landis.  I've always wanted to see Turnabout

1/3 Marion Davies Birthday tribute

1/5 Noir Alley His Kind of Woman

1/7 Stan and Ollie Spotlight, The Music Box never gets old.

1/8 Miss Annie Rooney. I like Shirley as a teen actress.  It's a shame that she wasn't able to cash in on her childhood success. 

1/9 Dust Be My Destiny. A John Garfield movie that I haven't seen.

1/11 Man on a Tightrope.  A possible premiere of an Elia Kazan film starring Fredric March and Gloria Grahame?

1/12 Noir Alley Lured.  Lucille Ball noir!

1/14 James Stewart & Robert Mitchum spotlight, starting off with a documentary: "James Stewart, Robert Mitchum: The Two Faces of America." 

1/23 Looks like it might have a primetime tribute to Ernie Kovacs? The schedule is titled but not filled out yet.

1/27 LA Noir spotlight.  

1/30 Maureen O'Hara night

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I will have to dive into this tomorrow. Kathyn Grayson is, I know, a repeat honoree. Looks like she only made 21 movies (one of them an uncredited voiceover appearance only), and without checking out all of them, a quick scan of titles seems to indicate EVERY ONE of them was made at MGM, which means they've all been on TCM dozens and dozens of times before. I hope this "free" month for TCM means some funds will be free some fresh SOTM later in the year.

Wow! Four Denzel Washington movies on Martin Luther King Day: "Glory" (1989, featuring the screen superstar's first Academy Award-winning performance); "Philadelphia" (1993, co-starring Tom Hanks in his first Oscar-winning turn); "A Soldier's Story" (1984, a Best Picture nominee directed by Norman Jewison); and "Devil in a Blue Dress" (1995, starring Washington as Walter Mosley's 1940s private detective Easy Rawlins).

Of course, we'll see Washington again later in the year when TCM airs the 47th annual American Film Institute's Life Achievement Award ceremony.

Related image

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I will have to dive into this tomorrow. Kathyn Grayson is, I know, a repeat honoree. Looks like she only made 21 movies (one of them an uncredited voiceover appearance only), and without checking out all of them, a quick scan of titles seems to indicate EVERY ONE of them was made at MGM, which means they've all been on TCM dozens and dozens of times before. I hope this "free" month for TCM means some funds will be free some fresh SOTM later in the year.

Her last film was at Paramount -- THE VAGABOND KING (1956), which TCM never airs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Monday, January 28th is the annual salute to the honorees of the Academy's Governors Awards. On tap: "Sounder" (1972, starring honorary Oscar recipient Cicely Tyson); "Bullitt" (1968, featuring a score by Lalo Schifrin, another honoree); "Kramer vs. Kramer" (the 1979 Best Picture winner promoted by the veteran publicist Marvin Levy, a third honorary Oscar designate); and "Poltergeist" (1982, the hit horror film co-produced -- with Steven Spielberg -- by the husband-and-wife team of Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy, recipients of the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award for producing excellence).

Image result for governors awards 2018

From left to right: Academy honorees Tyson, Marshall, Kennedy, Schifrin and Levy

A whole evening dedicated to Laurel and Hardy, so I can wait to see what TCM Canada will preempt Sons of the Desert for again.  Looks like we'll get to see the premiere of Two or Three Things I Know About Her.  I wonder why they can't get Charles Burnett for MLK day.

• Like 1

Grayson isn't a bad choice. The Desert Song is always a treat.

desertsong1953_062720130436.jpg

I wish they showed the Vagabond King too. I don't think I've seen that one before. 

• Like 1

Well, hey, I can't speak for the month as a whole, but I just looked at New Year's Day, and TCM is kicking off primetime with its second-airing ever of the 20th Century Fox baseball comedy It Happened in Flatbush (its only previous airing was in November, 2010). So, I'm immediately encouraged!

Too bad TCM doesn't air TV episodes. Grayson appeared in three Murder She Wrote episodes as a recurring character that were a real treat. The episodes also guest starred Ruth Roman, Julie/Julia Adams, and Gloria De Haven.

23 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Too bad TCM doesn't air TV episodes. Grayson appeared in three Murder She Wrote episodes as a recurring character that were a real treat. The episodes also guest starred Ruth Roman, Julie/Julia Adams, and Gloria De Haven.

I think there'd be an outcry if TCM began airing TV episodes. They would have to be from Warner Brothers programs since those are in the Warners archive. Murder She Wrote is a Universal show and TCM very seldom leases things from Universal.

• Like 1

Gunfight at the OK Corral (Paramount, 1957) on January 5! Probably my favorite of the Burt Lancaster-Kirk Douglas collaborations, and typically I hardly even watch Westerns! Kirk Douglas is so great at playing tortured souls, and his Doc Holliday is one of the most tortured. Most recently aired on TCM in December, 2017, but I missed that one. I will definitely catch this airing!

A Letter to Three Wives (20th Century Fox, 1949) on January 6. Douglas is only kind of semi-tortured in this one. First TCM airing since December, 2016.

• Like 1

Man on a Tightrope (20th Century Fox, 1953) I totally never heard of, making its TCM premiere January 9. If you wanted to show an Elia Kazan movie from Fox, I wouldn't have minded A Tree Grows in Brooklyn or Gentleman's Agreement, but I would absolutely be willing to give one I never heard of a try, except TCM chose to show it in the middle of the night! The cast listing sent me scurrying over to imdb, where I see Terry Moore, whom I pretty much only know from Come Back, Little Sheba, is 90 years old and still active! She has four yet-to-be released movies in the can, according to imdb.

Young Mr. Lincoln (20th Century Fox, 1939) January 11. John Ford and Henry Fonda in happier times, before their friendship ended on the set of Mister Roberts. It was just on last month. I missed it. But it's a relative TCM rarity. Its January airing will be only its 11th time ever on TCM.

6 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

1/14 James Stewart & Robert Mitchum spotlight, starting off with a documentary: "James Stewart, Robert Mitchum: The Two Faces of America." 

I look forward to this documentary, especially if it contrasts the careers of the two film greats.

As I recall, both Stewart and Mitchum died before Independence Day in 1997. Mitchum succumbed to complications from lung cancer and emphysema on July 1. Stewart died of a pulmonary embolism the following day. 

At a time when the world was focused on the landing of a Rover on Mars, the news of Stewart's death drew an immediate reaction throughout the world. I remember reading about Mitchum's death days later in a newspaper.

Both were formidable actors, but Stewart certainly was a member of the Hollywood establishment -- and a war hero. He was one of Johnny Carson's favorite guests on NBC's "The Tonight Show" and became known for reading his poetry during his occasional appearances.

Related image

Meanwhile, Mitchum had a rockier life and career. And he could be difficult in interview situations -- as TCM's Robert Osborne discovered the hard way in 1996.

"We had him do a 'Private Screenings' interview," Osborne once recalled, "and at lunchtime, he was quite chatty – a great raconteur and talker. But as soon as we went on camera, he’d clam up! I asked him 'When you first met Jane Russell, what was your impression of her?' He said, 'Don’t remember.' I asked 'Which of your movies would be the best representative of your work?' He answered, 'You decide.' He was deliberately being a scoundrel!"

Image result for robert mitchum private screenings

Mitchum and Jane Russell on TCM 

• Like 1

On the morning and afternoon of January 15, TCM celebrates the 82nd birthday of Margaret O'Brien with seven of her movies. They are: "Bad Bascomb" (1946), "Big City" (1948), "Our Vines Have Tender Grapes" (1945), "Lost Angel" (1943), "The Secret Garden" (1949), "Music for Millions" (1944) and "Little Women" (1949).

There's also a showing of the 1943 film short "You, John Jones!" -- which teamed the onetime child star with James Cagney and Ann Sothern.

Related image

6 hours ago, mr6666 said:

" Can't say I'm excited about the SOTM selection.  Yuck! "

Agreed!!

giphy.gif

You said it. Plus she was pretty much one note - MGM musicals. TCM often makes January a little special since we have to suffer through the 31 days of Oscar (at WB, MGM, and RKO) in February. Not this time.

• Sad 2

The early morning hours of Sunday, January 20 brings two 1983 movies known for their music. 

At 2 a.m., there's "The Big Chill," Lawrence Kasdan's film about a group of 1960s college friends holding an unscheduled reunion in South Carolina after one of their own commits suicide. The memorable cast includes Tom Berenger, Glenn Close, Jeff Goldblum, William Hurt, Kevin Kline, Mary Kay Place, Meg Tilly and JoBeth Williams. (Look for Kevin Costner's body parts during the opening credits). 

The comedy-drama, written and directed by Kasdan ("Body Heat," "Silverado," "Grand Canyon"), received Academy Award nominations for Best Picture, Best Supporting Actress (Close) and Best Original Screenplay (Kasdan and Barbara Benedek). The movie also spawned two killer soundtrack albums of '60s hits.

By the way, Berenger has said that the television detective played by his character Sam Weber was modeled after the hero of "Matt Houston," the 1982–1985 ABC detective series that starred Lee Horsley.

Berenger also appears in "Eddie and the Cruisers," which will be telecast at 4 a.m. Directed by Martin Davidson, the film stars Michael Paré as a popular band's frontman who becomes a legend after he disappears for two decades. 

The cast also includes Ellen Barkin, Joe Pantoliano and John Stockwell.

The picture features the Springsteen-like song "On the Dark Side," which was a No. 7 hit in 1984 on Billboard's pop chart for the true performers -- John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band. Another song, "Tender Years," also cracked the Top 40 and reached the No. 31 spot.

8 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Man on a Tightrope (20th Century Fox, 1953) I totally never heard of, making its TCM premiere January 9. If you wanted to show an Elia Kazan movie from Fox, I wouldn't have minded A Tree Grows in Brooklyn or Gentleman's Agreement, but I would absolutely be willing to give one I never heard of a try, except TCM chose to show it in the middle of the night! The cast listing sent me scurrying over to imdb, where I see Terry Moore, whom I pretty much only know from Come Back, Little Sheba, is 90 years old and still active! She has four yet-to-be released movies in the can, according to imdb.

Man on a Tightrope shows up on FXM occasionally and it’s definitely a good movie albeit a product of the era of the Cold War part 1. Moore is the ingenue of the piece, but it has an interesting cast. It’s based on a true story. I recommend it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, calvinnme said:

You said it. Plus she was pretty much one note - MGM musicals. TCM often makes January a little special since we have to suffer through the 31 days of Oscar (at WB, MGM, and RKO) in February. Not this time.

Would we say this about people who only worked in film noir or only worked in westerns...that they shouldn't be Star of the Month because they were 'one note' performers? I think we can still find plenty of excellence with a performer who was mostly utilized in one genre.

But for those who don't like musicals, Grayson does appear in a romantic comedy called GROUNDS FOR MARRIAGE. TCM will be airing it in January, and it's quite good. She certainly wasn't a dramatic actress, but still she did quite well in the films the studio assigned her.

• Like 1

Another uninteresting SOTM. I'll start my Feb reading list early.......

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Would we say this about people who only worked in film noir or only worked in westerns...that they shouldn't be Star of the Month because they were 'one note' performers? I think we can still find plenty of excellence with a performer who was mostly utilized in one genre.

But for those who don't like musicals, Grayson does appear in a romantic comedy called GROUNDS FOR MARRIAGE. TCM will be airing it in January, and it's quite good. She certainly wasn't a dramatic actress, but still she did quite well in the films the studio assigned her. 

I don't know TopBilled, I can't think of anybody who worked JUST in westerns, and that includes Joel McCrea and Gary Cooper. Even Tim Holt did other types of work. Can you think of anybody eligible for SOTM who did just noirs? I can't. I think it is not that Grayson worked almost exclusively in musicals (gosh, I hate how you wring out the hyperbole in my posts! :) ), it is that Grayson was in a specific KIND of musical - the big splashy MGM musicals of the 40s and 50s. And for me, a month of that will get old.

• Thanks 1