Sign in to follow this  
Brrrcold

Welcome back, Clare

17 posts in this topic

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's glad to see Clare Tooley back to pitch the Wine Club. No more hipster chefs, please.

Just so long as they NEVER show the one with Ben refusing to put his nose in the glass and sniff.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hepburn Fan said:

Just so long as they NEVER show the one with Ben refusing to put his nose in the glass and sniff.

Well THAT'S certainly a shame then!

(...as I hear the aroma from a nice Cabernet can sometimes help clear blocked nasal passages)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Brrrcold said:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's glad to see Clare Tooley back to pitch the Wine Club. No more hipster chefs, please.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who dislikes those siblings in the wine club ad, at least the woman. The guy hardly says anything but I had begun to mute or change the channel when it came on. 

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2018 at 12:29 PM, Dargo said:

Well THAT'S certainly a shame then!

(...as I hear the aroma from a nice Cabernet can sometimes help clear blocked nasal passages)

Something Ben could benefit from, eh??

I really looked closely for the first time tonight at the wine-spot. Is that the redhead you're referring to? What is her particular field of expertise? Is she just ornamental or...?

I don't particularly mind the wine-ads. Seems slightly elitist but for just $79 bucks, 15 bottles of wine seems like a good...good deal to me. Maybe I read it wrong? Is $79 just the entry fee?

The funniest element is this "movie themed wines" teaser. In what way exactly can a wine be 'movie themed'?

How can one show off one's movie tastes in the..privacy of one's home? Oh! Maybe take the bottles to a BYOB? Oh well.

My primary request is really this:

PLEASE SOMEONE, DO SOMETHING TO BEN'S HAIRDO ! ! ! !

It looks like its about to leap off his head and savage the camera!

6 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I really looked closely for the first time tonight at the wine-spot. Is that the redhead you're referring to? What is her particular field of expertise? Is she just ornamental or...?

The redhead is Alicia Malone and she is a TV host and film reporter. I'm not sure who Clare is though.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

I'm not sure who Clare is though.

Her full name is in the OP. She's also a redhead and is some sort of wine expert, I guess. She'd been in at least one previous TCM Wine Club spot, I think with Eddie Mueller.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

What is Clare Tooley's particular field of expertise in wine, you ask, Sgt. Markoff? From a friend well versed in the subject he says he saw nothing in her online bios about being a true wine expert which means she is a Master Sommelier which is one with many years training in all aspects of wine services and food accompaniment. Nor does anything online mention Clare as listed in even the earlier stages of knowledge for being Introductory or Certified or Advanced Sommelier. There are supposedly only possibly under thirty women with that designation of MS and maybe someone could check to see if her name was listed there for the US or UK programs for the Court of Master Sommeliers. I did see that Clare had won some prize from a Wine Institute called the Lalleland Bursary in 2013 but that called her a 1st Year Student, which doesn't sound like any advanced knowledge. Her bio does list stints of work with wines at Lionstone and John Armit Wines but there is no mention of her standing as a real wine expert online or that she has made that grade according to the Court. It would be nice that she list that high standard achieved from the Court of Master Sommeliers in the US and UK is she really has earned that title. 

• Thanks 1

Nicely summarized Gordon. So her stint was just a stunt, h'mmm...

;)...well like the line from Sullivan's Travels: "There's always a girl in the picture! Don't you go to the movies?"

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Nicely summarized Gordon. So her stint was just a stunt, h'mmm...

;)...well like the line from Sullivan's Travels: "There's always a girl in the picture! Don't you go to the movies?"

Not sure what her qualifications are technically, since Clare nor TCM doesn't mention them in the tv ads or online. But if she calls herself a wine expert it would be nice to know what degree of knowledge she actually has attained according to the real Court of  Master Sommeliers standards. If TCM really wanted a verifiable wine expert to be ascertaining the quality of the wines being purveyed and choosing them for food pairings TCM would maybe also be touting their choice, Clare's Sommelier achievements. Of course this bit about the wines having a connection to old classic movies is just hype since I doubt any of the stars on the bottles knew their images would be hawking wines in the future after they had passed.

• Haha 1

it might be better if they took a wine which actually appeared in a movie and made it available (no matter how rare it might be) to today's wine aficionados

"Southern California '28? Why, that's a gentleman's drink..."

"I didn't care who's it was... I drank it anyway!"

• Haha 1

TCM seems to hire people with nice looking résumés. I do like Clare to look at and listen to. Most everyone here knows I don't feel that way about TMC's other screen-gems.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

it might be better if they took a wine which actually appeared in a movie and made it available (no matter how rare it might be) to today's wine aficionados

One final note, I may be wrong but I think the word curated is being used in some of these TCM wine ads also by Ms. Tooley. There are some connoisseurs who find that particular term distasteful since they ask the question, when even did a true Master Sommelier become the equivalent of an art museum director. This bit about curating a list of wines is bogus, since the real perception is that really all that is going on is the perpetrator is buying and selling wine. Wine lists aren't gallery catalogs, they are just sales documents which will profit a company and if they don't, that wine "expert" would be fired probably. It's all kind of a smoke and mirrors technique and one wonders if Gloria Swanson or even Norma Desmond would enjoy the wine selection that the "curator" says should be drunk if one is visiting Sunset Boulevard for a night with the Waxworks.

GordonCole, you're a man after my own taste. I salute this scrupulous turn-of-mind you're displaying. Wine is clearly a pet topic of yours, this is exemplary. B)