Sign in to follow this  
macocael

FilmStruck/Criterion Channel is being shut down!

91 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, macocael said:

"The strangled corporate newspeak of the memo announcing the closure, with its reference to the “learnings” to be gleaned from the FilmStruck experiment, engenders the same kind of helpless rage as the tortured syntax of Donald Trump’s tweets—it’s so painfully revealing of the kind of grandiose carelessness that is the hallmark of power right now.

Mentioning FilmStruck and Trump in the same sentence brings up the same reason that FilmstruckMania rubbed the hairs on the back of my neck the same way--
I remember one political satire that showed red-cap Trump supporters as saying "You promised to FIX me! :( ", and we were almost literally hearing the exact same thing from the uptown and suburban FilmStruck fans:

The trendy new fans broadcasted their FS queues to the world, first bragging, like Netflix, that they had finally cut the cord and flipped a bird to the expensive cable companies...But then, once the movies disappeared off of Netflix and were replaced by weird Swedish and Korean series, at the same time as Warner Instant Archive started moving Gene Kelly and James Dean to the former "Criterion channel", the movement turned to a greater desire to flip a finger to Netflix and Amazon.  You didn't just watch Filmstruck because it had vintage movies and Netflix Prime didn't, you watched it because it was, quote, TEACHING you about a great film every night...It was the TED-talk channel of movies.

And in the wake of the mania, I confess to getting a little shirty on my blog about the "If it's not on streaming, it doesn't exist" era, the fact that the same movies had been on disk all this time for twenty years (even for those who don't have cable/TCM), that the mania basically was an unfocused tantrum at a lot of the "betrayals" of the unrealistic hopes viewers had over their dream of the Post-TV Era, and that you don't need to pay a service to teach you how to be curious enough to learn something.  Great films, even less.  

https://movieactivist.blogspot.com/2018/04/will-you-accept-this-flower-from-holy.html

Very disappointed by this decision. As a subscriber, I will be boycotting Turner and Time Warner AT&T in the future. Sorry it has to be this way.

1 hour ago, FilmSnob said:

Very disappointed by this decision. As a subscriber, I will be boycotting Turner and Time Warner AT&T in the future. Sorry it has to be this way.

Not even watching TCM? Because at this point its the only other game in down.

12 hours ago, FilmSnob said:

I don't plan to boycott, but do wish to make changes in my TV viewing habits. I lived without TCM before. It was either not available or not affordable. I could not save any money by switching to Dish from Xfinity. I would not do business with AT&T's satellite or streaming services. I have AT&T landline and cellular. I refuse to do any additional business with them.

TCM is the only Turner channel I use. It is not the only place for classic movies, just the best. We all know that. Still, I'd survive. I could pay my PBS station $5/month for a Passport, and stream commercial free, quality programs, until the cows come home.

Going to attempt to post a link to Bill Hader, one-time host of Essentials, Jr., appealing for the salvation of FilmStruck. There's a profanity word within the hyperlink. I don't think the autocensor here would eliminate that? But we'll see ...

https://news.avclub.com/bill-hader-would-love-it-if-we-could-all-get-our-****-t-1830201629

Edit: Well, yep, this website turned the word into asterisks, but if you click on it, it still works.

• Thanks 1

Here's another article on the subject:

Save FilmStruck Petition Gaining Traction

With a little thanks to endorsements from both comedian Bill Hader and filmmaker Guillermo del Toro, a recent petition to save the recently cancelled FilmStruck SVOD service is gaining traction.

Created by Kevin Bahr, the Change.org petition to save the service has accumulated just over 32,000 signatures in its quest to prove to WarnerMedia that the appeal of FilmStruck goes just beyond the ‘niche’ audience which the company called it in its statement when it announced the shutting down of the service to take place at the end of November.

The petition claims the service goes beyond mere servicing an audience, it is also important in terms of film history: “FilmStruck is not just a niche market, it is a massive archive dedicated to keeping art of the past alive, much in the way a museum keeps artists from centuries ago alive. It deserves to live, not only to provide an outlet for film lovers of the past but also to create new fans through the next several generations, and perhaps open some more eyes along the way.”

There’s also a recent Los Angeles Times article which makes a good case for the saving of the service and how those film buffs who claim the answer is recommitting to building their disc collections are going to be impacted to with Vanity Fair film critic K. Austin Collins saying:

“What people who prioritize physical media take for granted about ownership is that someone has to make it. We’re all drinking from the same tap, here: physical media, like streaming options, rely on institutions making them available. But with a future that is leaning pretty hard toward streaming, you really can’t depend on that in perpetuity, can you? A company obsessed with the bottom line has no reason to keep selling DVDs of Nicholas Ray films, does it? I see a future in which physical media dweebs are just as poorly off as the rest of us.”

Another currently acclaimed film writer, Matt Zoller Seitz, tweeted: “The older I get, the more convinced I am that if film buffs don’t personally make an effort to keep film history alive, it’s going to disappear, because the corporations that officially own the movies don’t care. At all.”

http://www.darkhorizons.com/save-filmstruck-petition-gaining-traction/

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

With a little thanks to endorsements from both comedian Bill Hader and filmmaker Guillermo del Toro, a recent petition to save the recently cancelled FilmStruck SVOD service is gaining traction.

Another currently acclaimed film writer, Matt Zoller Seitz, tweeted: “The older I get, the more convinced I am that if film buffs don’t personally make an effort to keep film history alive, it’s going to disappear, because the corporations that officially own the movies don’t care. At all.”

http://www.darkhorizons.com/save-filmstruck-petition-gaining-traction/

I hope this does gain traction, but because "the corporations that officially own the movies don't care. At all" I believe it is probably all for naught. AT&T only cares about a streaming service for the masses that will serve up the same old junk and have a huge following. This is why corporations are certainly NOT people, just soulless cash registers that have many of the same rights as people.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

And other tech-clueless grownups who think Change.org is an actual site.  :D

Say "PetitionOnline.com" to those of the right generation (say, those who were around in the '99-'00 rise of DVD), and wonder why they suddenly snort their milk and break up into giggles.  There were some genuine online petitions, way back in those rise-of-the-Internet-too days--Amazon briefly hinted at trying it for requested titles--which created the myth that if you signed your name on the Internet, you were Striking a Blow For Change...Until every fanboy took every whiny knee-jerk complaint to PO, and destroyed the myth:  No executives read the Internet, and unless you take the actual step of submitting results to the specific parties, saying "Me too!" turned out to be nothing but an act of angry foot-stomping fanboy-bation, to the point that even THAT became a hilarious fan-baiting punchline.  And which PO soon infamously became after the N-00th "Petition for George Lucas to release that original Theatrical Cut of Star Wars he's been hiding!"

PetitionOnline isn't around anymore, and Change.org IS.  And those of the right age still snicker, snort milk, and wave off to those other folk who wonder why, every time someone says "This is an insult to the fans!...I'm starting a petition on CHANGE.ORG!"  

(Now, if they'd tried addressing snail-mail letters directly to Warner, Warner management might have a more direct view of customer response...)

I went to Change.org, and believe EricJ is right. Now they have one of my email addresses and are blasting me with stupid messages. I don't have FilmStruck and probably can't even get it free until they stop operation.

I am wondering why Sony doesn't have a streaming service for all their Columbia titles? Or do they and I don't know it? That could happen. 😼

7 hours ago, Hepburn Fan said:

I am wondering why Sony doesn't have a streaming service for all their Columbia titles? Or do they and I don't know it? That could happen. 😼

They USED to, back in the pre-Netflix history ('08-'09), when Amazon and Hulu heard there'd be a market for these-here new "Digital movies" thing, but didn't know where folks would watch them--So they all tried to make desktop/smartphone browser-streaming sites, but Columbia reserved all their own material to create the studio-exclusive Crackle.

...(sigh) Yes.  THAT Crackle.  😓

(Which was actually pretty good back in the early days when it was still just a slow, struggling Columbia Instant Archive site, with I Dream of Jeannie and Fantasy Island reruns, the 60's Stooges/Curly Joe features, Stripes/Ghostbusters, and of course, The Last Dragon.  Until they decided to court the gamer/stoner demographic, and filled their listings with "Heavy Metal 2000", "Joe Dirt 2", and "Puff Puff Pass", and then pasted on cutesy "hip" movie listings and irritating "What's new this week" hosts.)

The the moment, the Sony Crackle website and Roku app are not working.

Besides that, a free commercial based service isn't what I am thinking.

On 11/6/2018 at 11:50 AM, Hepburn Fan said:

1) Sony is interested in the old Columbia back catalog only if the names Frank Capra, Barbara Stanwyck, and/or Carole Lombard are attached.

2) GetTV, a free digital subchannel, used to show some of the old Columbia films. But their advertisers apparently weren't happy with old movie devotees.

• Like 1

Created by Kevin Bahr, the Change.org petition to save the service has accumulated just over 32,000 signatures in its quest to prove to WarnerMedia that the appeal of FilmStruck goes just beyond the ‘niche’ audience which the company called it in its statement when it announced the shutting down of the service to take place at the end of November.

There's a big difference between 32,000 signatures and 32,000 paying customers.

PetitionOnline isn't around anymore, and Change.org IS.  And those of the right age still snicker, snort milk, and wave off to those other folk who wonder why, every time someone says "This is an insult to the fans!...I'm starting a petition on CHANGE.ORG!"  

I think this site right here might have more influence.  :lol:

In the closing days of FilmStruck, I've started a mad dash to catch up on films. I hadn't subscribed to the Criterion level for a while, so its just basic membership, but that still gives me films I have not seen (and quite a few I had). So far, since the notice went up, I viewed the following for the first time.

He Who Gets Slapped (1924)

Torrent (1926)

West Point (1928)

Across to Singapore (1928)

Lilly Turner (1933)

Edward My Son (1949)

The Flowers of St. Francis (1950)

Brainstorm (1983)

Stepping Out (1991)

Love Affair (1994)

1 hour ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

1) Sony is interested in the old Columbia back catalog only if the names Frank Capra, Barbara Stanwyck, and/or Carole Lombard are attached.

Or Ray Harryhausen.  But those have mostly ended up with whatever of Columbia's films (Last Action Hero, Gattaca, Oliver, And Now For Something Completely Different) have fallen in with MGM's Orphans--And even then, they may show "Seventh Voyage of Sinbad", but not Golden Voyage or Eye of the Tiger.

We’re Not Mad Enough About the End of FilmStruck

It's not just about one streaming service. It's about watching the history of an art form disappear to save a few bucks.

"........So I say, screw ‘em. Take it personally. I’m going to rip my discs and share my Plex libraries. Get behind a VPN and download rarities. Stream and capture. (I’m not saying I’ll use an HDMI splitter and Game Capture device to connect my Roku to my laptop and capture FilmStruck’s content before it vanishes forever, but I’m not not saying it.) Figure out my own ways to circumvent a system that killed the mom-and-pop video store, then killed the chain video store, then replaced it with streaming services that eventually dumped their catalogues for “original content” with a fraction of the cultural value. Get mad. Fight for the art that matters to me. Somebody has to.

One of the most indelible images of Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451 (and of Francois Truffaut’s film adaptation) is that of the Book People, who have attempted to preserve literature in a time of book-burning by each committing a book to memory, and reciting it. That’s a commitment, and perhaps that’s the kind of spirit those of us who care about film history have to adopt. The difference is that our cultural history isn’t being erased by the government. It’s being erased by capitalists."

http://flavorwire.com/615025/were-not-mad-enough-about-the-end-of-filmstruck

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, mr6666 said:

It's not just about one streaming service. It's about watching the history of an art form disappear to save a few bucks.

"........So I say, screw ‘em. Take it personally. I’m going to rip my discs and share my Plex libraries. Get behind a VPN and download rarities. Stream and capture. (I’m not saying I’ll use an HDMI splitter and Game Capture device to connect my Roku to my laptop and capture FilmStruck’s content before it vanishes forever, but I’m not not saying it.) Figure out my own ways to circumvent a system that killed the mom-and-pop video store, then killed the chain video store, then replaced it with streaming services that eventually dumped their catalogues for “original content” with a fraction of the cultural value. Get mad. Fight for the art that matters to me. Somebody has to.

One of the most indelible images of Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451 (and of Francois Truffaut’s film adaptation) is that of the Book People, who have attempted to preserve literature in a time of book-burning by each committing a book to memory, and reciting it. That’s a commitment, and perhaps that’s the kind of spirit those of us who care about film history have to adopt. The difference is that our cultural history isn’t being erased by the government. It’s being erased by capitalists."

http://flavorwire.com/615025/were-not-mad-enough-about-the-end-of-filmstruck

Like...duh.  (to the first paragraph)

As per the second quoted paragraph - LOL yeah capitalism sure sucks, except for the capitalism that worked to create all these old movies. ;)

Judging only by results, I'd say it's more broken now than it was back then.  Fewer studios and less variety, but you do get your choice of behemoth action films with very little intelligent dialog made specifically for international distribution, if that is your thing.  Which it isn't, because you are here.  Or rather at Flavorwire.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Now, this is what I've been saying since the beginning, folks:
THEY'RE NOT ****IN' "DISAPPEARING"!!  They're still on disk, they're just not in your immediate in-reach remote-click environment of streaming!  Or, like the days when nobody watched old movies on local TV stations at 2am, is that the same thing?

You spent the last year literally singing the praises of a service that served them to you on a silver platter, and now you've got to go out to the garden and start picking those fresh titles yourselves--Sort of like the difference between people who know how to cook and go to farmers' markets, and people who praise Blue Apron boxes on their doorstep.

What we should be mad about is that it's not "to save a few bucks", it's so that Warner can rebrand itself to sell "What the public wants", which is that they don't--meaning, they believe we "don't"--want to bother with any but a handful of easily marketable and overexposed "classic" titles we know already, and don't want to be curious to explore the inner reaches of the Warner Archive.  Who wants Rebel Without a Cause, when you can sell one more copy of Wizard of Oz?  What FilmStruck brought us was what local stations brought us forty or fifty years ago:  Pot luck, and the curiosity to try a classic, or even a non-classic, that happened to be in reach, and discover something new.  If movies have one enemy (and let's not just limit it to Warner, even though, in all areas, they're just about as close to THE enemy as you can get), it's studios who see old movies as an "obstacle" to what corporate identity they can create, anoint two or three dummy-overexposed token pop-icons as "Here's our vintage classics!", and the insecurity that they'd rather tread the safe waters of selling us a title we know by heart than spend a lot of charity money on hoping to sell us a title we don't.

And no one ever learned anything from a book they'd read already.

One of the most indelible images of Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451 (and of Francois Truffaut’s film adaptation) is that of the Book People, who have attempted to preserve literature in a time of book-burning by each committing a book to memory, and reciting it. That’s a commitment, and perhaps that’s the kind of spirit those of us who care about film history have to adopt. The difference is that our cultural history isn’t being erased by the government. It’s being erased by capitalists."

Hey, no fair!  I already did the Fahrenheit/Truffaut metaphor two years ago (although also in reference to Warner trying to wipe physical disk sales off the market as well as broadcast movies, and replacing them with more "collectors editions" of Dark Knight and A Christmas Story)--Can I sue?  😡

4 hours ago, EricJ said:

And no one ever learned anything from a book they'd read already.

Perhaps I'm missing the sarcasm or point you are trying to make (apologize in advance if so), but are you really saying that no one can learn anything from reading a book more than once?  This is obviously false and would be false if applied to watching films as well.

Sorry but I can't contain myself from adding that I think it's poor form to generalize FilmStruck supporters as some kind of spoiled elite that were thumbing their noses at others.  (Yes, this is my poor characterization of previous comments.)  Especially just after the service they have been using has been announced as going away.

Isn't it possible that there were many who joined FilmStruck just for the access to movies and were enjoying it regularly without trying to make any kind of statement as to what/when/where/how others should view/enjoy watching movies?  Just because people watched movies on FilmStruck doesn't necessarily mean they thought physical media or other forms of movie access were somehow lesser or could go away.

I don't read many other blogs, etc., so there may have been places where someone was trumpeting FilmStruck at the expense of others, but I don't think that would justify criticizing FilmStruck users in general as being cut from the same cloth.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EricJ said:

Now, this is what I've been saying since the beginning, folks:
THEY'RE NOT ****IN' "DISAPPEARING"!!  They're still on disk, they're just not in your immediate in-reach remote-click environment of streaming!  Or, like the days when nobody watched old movies on local TV stations at 2am, is that the same thing?

You spent the last year literally singing the praises of a service that served them to you on a silver platter, and now you've got to go out to the garden and start picking those fresh titles yourselves--Sort of like the difference between people who know how to cook and go to farmers' markets, and people who praise Blue Apron boxes on their doorstep.

Well as I understand it, Filmstruck had a lot of rare movies from around the world that may be hard to find. Not everyone can find all of the films from that service. 

• Like 1