jakeem

Awards season 2018-2019

202 posts in this topic

Those acclaimed documentaries about TV's legendary Mr. Rogers and the Supreme Court's indefatigable justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg will compete for yet another awards season prize.

"Won't You Be My Neighbor?" and "RBG" are among the nominees for the Producers Guild of America's theatrical documentary award. 

Image result for mr. rogers ruth bader ginsburg

The other documentaries nominated by the PGA:

• "The Dawn Wall" -- a chronicle of the January, 2015 attempt by American rock climbers Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson to ascend  El Capitan -- the 3,000-foot vertical rock formation in California's Yosemite National Park. 
  • "Free Solo" -- another El Capitan tale, this time focusing on American Alex Honnold's June 2017 attempt to climb the rock face solo -- and without protective equipment.
  • "Hal" -- the story of the tumultuous life of Hal Ashby (1929-1988), the Oscar-winning film editor who became a successful director during the 1970s. Among his noteworthy films: "Harold and Maude" (1971), "The Last Detail" (1973), "Shampoo" (1975), "Bound for Glory" (1976), "Coming Home" (1978) and "Being There" (1979). 
  • "Into the Okavango" -- the tale of a four-month, 1,500-mile expedition across three countries (Angola, Botswana and Namibia) to save the river system that feeds the Okavango Delta -- one of Earth's last wetland wildernesses.
  • "Three Identical Strangers" -- the true and tragic story of identical triplets who discover one another after being reared by different families.

The 30th annual PGA Awards will be presented on January 19, 2019 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles. The nominees for excellence in feature films, television and other categories will be announced on January 4.

Mess of a new vidgamelike #RobinHoodMovie does shoot lots of enjoyably confused anarchist/Marxist rhetoric around like misshapen arrows everywhere. I chuckled much, both at what the filmmakers were failing to say and that they were even trying to at all.

'Green Book' Stars Viggo Mortensen, Mahershala Ali Detail Meticulous Research Into Real-Life Counterparts

"Every single event in this movie actually happened, from Robert F. Kennedy making the call — everything was real."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/green-book-research-tony-lip-dr-don-shirley-friendship-explained-1163680?utm_source=twitter

green_book_still_2_-_publicity_-_h_2018.jpg

kXsEe7Za_bigger.jpgRamin SetoodehVerified account@RaminSetoodeh

Outside of a #AStarIsBorn, most Oscars movies aren't performing that well at the box office this year. The biggest release this fall from an indie distributor has been Fox Searchlight's 'The Old Man and the Gun' at $10.8 million.

#TheFavourite had a very strong first weekend on four screens ($420,000) and will likely pass that. But it's been a tough season for independent films. By comparison, 'BlacKkKlansman,' which opened in the summer, has made $48.3 million, more than anything from Toronto/Telluride.

• Like 1

Related image

Here are the nominations for the Independent Filmmaker Project Gotham Awards, traditionally the first event of the awards season. Winners will be announced tonight at the 27th annual presentation in New York City:

Best Feature
"The Favourite" 
"First Reformed"
"If Beale Street Could Talk"
"Madeline's Madeline"
"The Rider"

Bingham Ray Breakthrough Director Award
Ari Aster, "Hereditary"
Bo Burnham, "Eighth Grade" 
Jennifer Fox, "The Tale"
Crystal Moselle, "Skate Kitchen"
Boots Riley, "Sorry to Bother You"

Best Screenplay
Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara, "The Favourite"
Paul Schrader, "First Reformed"
Tamara Jenkins, "Private Life"
Andrew Bujalski, "Support the Girls" 
Cory Finley, "Thoroughbreds"

Best Actor
Adam Driver, "BlacKkKlansman"
Ben Foster, "Leave No Trace"
Richard E. Grant, "Can You Ever Forgive Me?"
Ethan Hawke, "First Reformed" 
Lakeith Stanfield, "Sorry to Bother You"

Best Actress
Glenn Close, "The Wife" 
Toni Collette, "Hereditary"
Kathryn Hahn, "Private Life"
Regina Hall, "Support the Girls" 
Michelle Pfeiffer, "Where Is Kyra?"

Special Jury Award For Ensemble Performance -- "The Favourite," to be presented to actresses Emma Stone, Olivia Colman and Rachel Weisz

Image result for the favourite

Breakthrough Actor
Yalitza Aparicio, "Roma"
Elsie Fisher, "Eighth Grade"
Helena Howard, "Madeline's Madeline"
Kiki Layne, "If Beale Street Could Talk" 
Thomasin Harcourt McKenzie, "Leave No Trace"

Best Documentary
"Bisbee 17"
"Hale County This Morning, This Evening"
"Minding the Gap"
"Shirkers"
"Won't You Be My Neighbor?" 

Breakthrough Series – Long Form
"Alias Grace"
"Big Mouth"
"The End of the **** World"
"Killing Eve" 
"Pose"
"Sharp Objects"

Breakthrough Series – Short Form
"195 Lewis"
"Cleaner Daze" 
"Distance"
"The F Word"
"She's the Ticket"

Gotham Tributes 
Jon Kamen (film industry)
Paul Greengrass (director)
Willem Dafoe (actor)
Rachel Weisz (actress)

‘Made in NY’ Award 
Sandra Lee 

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:28 PM, jakeem said:

If "Shallow" gets nominated for the Best Original Song Oscar, Bradley Cooper is game to perform live with Lady Gaga: "There might be a cool, unorthodox way we could perform it." http://bit.ly/2zZp1nd 

DsJ47HVV4AEN-Cp.jpg

And it's very easy to already predict it will take home that Best O. Song Gold

JAKEEM, i';ve said it before, but you once again outdid yourself pal!!!

I just saw it on the net & weeks ago can you verify NBR is tomorrow & New York Film Critics are on Thursday???

WATCH BEST ACTOR CLOSELY EVEN THIS EARLY BETWEEEN C. BALE in VICE vs. RAMI MALEK in BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY  It's ridiculoiusly but all know how these things generally work, if *BALE hadn't already won for THE FIGHTER he'd probably have a better shot, unless he is something like the incredible *D. DAY LEWIS or something

& think I previously posted on here a couple of times-(as you know tcm.com's  message boards had a massive overall & my handle is now altered-(IT WAS SPENCER) & without me saying a word!?) & my previous 4,000 posts are apparently now DELETED!?   NOT FAIR FOKS

Anyway, 6 time nominee without getting her chance to WALK DOWN-THE-AISLE  GLENN CLOSE in THE WIFE seems a BLOW-OUT for Best Actress

BP seems tight right now though???  Maybe ROMA

(NOTE: This marks my 37th year at oddsmaking UNCLE OSCAR & 2018 was pretty weak in movies.)\

THANK YOU 

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:57 PM, jakeem said:

kXsEe7Za_bigger.jpgRamin SetoodehVerified account@RaminSetoodeh

Outside of a #AStarIsBorn, most Oscars movies aren't performing that well at the box office this year. The biggest release this fall from an indie distributor has been Fox Searchlight's 'The Old Man and the Gun' at $10.8 million.

#TheFavourite had a very strong first weekend on four screens ($420,000) and will likely pass that. But it's been a tough season for independent films. By comparison, 'BlacKkKlansman,' which opened in the summer, has made $48.3 million, more than anything from Toronto/Telluride.

JAKEEM, have you had a chance yet to check out A STAR IS BORN-remake??? I was somewhat pleasantly surprised

WHOOPS BUDDY, just now checke'd out (boxofficemojo) & BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY is approaching $160m. do0mestically

Not a film I plane to see, others more important to me first  Just went to last Friday CREED II (**-out of 4 stars) what a bit of a letdown considering I thought CREED (2015) AKA: ROCKY 8 was & is terrific overall moviemaking, most of all SLY, who looks bored here too. Even the legendary music of his ROCKY FRANCHISE is missing BIG-TIME HERE? I know what, Stallone would say it's mostly not about ROCKY BALBOA, at any rate this score is lousy  Not bad I remember those, just flat which I usually don't   It made) will post it of approx. $86m. to date He says he will kill of the beloved ROCKY BALBOA CREEED II. I ask the question why have another one? (TRIVIA: Highest grossing in the ROCKY FRANCHISE is 1985's ROCKY IV" (**1/2) ($127m.)

Next 88yr old *CLINT'S  THE  MULE (Dec. 14th)  &   hopefully the one I've most wanted to see for months STAN & OLLIE-(hopefully will finally open here in January of 2019) I've always been a huge sucker (LIKE MY FELLOW TCM-ITES) of HOLLYWOODS GOLDEN AGE/STUDIO-SYSTEM-(circa 1925-63) & DUMBO in March by Tim Burton (CECK OUT THE TRAILER TRUST ME! & OF STAN & OLLIE )

THANK YOU

b

39 minutes ago, jakeem said:

At the specialty box office, #TheFavourite stole the crown after debuting in N.Y. and L.A. The period drama posted the best showing since #LaLaLand two years ago http://thr.cm/aFVUkW 

Ds8g0oiWoAASxIl.jpg

I already see the FAVOURITE snagging about 8 or 9 AMPAS nominations overall. Matter of fact it may be among this years most nommed contenders, along with FIRST MAN & A STAR IS BORN?   Despite all the asinine pc & changes within the AMPAS it still adores huge costume epics  (it's trailer is also all over the net & check out ROMA'S)-(SEE BELOW ON STAN & OLLIE'S 1st)  IT LOOKS UTTERLY PERFECTO!

1 hour ago, shannon said:

I just saw it on the net & weeks ago can you verify NBR is tomorrow & New York Film Critics are on Thursday???

Yes. And the British Independent Film Awards will be presented on Sunday.