January

• Dr. Mabuse the Gambler (1922), Dir: Fritz Lang - January 6
  • The Extra Girl (1923), Dir: F. Richard Jones - January 13
  • The Godless Girl (1929), Dir: Cecil B. De Mille - January 20
  • The Red Lily (1924), Dir: Fred Niblo - January 27

February

Silent Sunday programming preempted for 31 Days of Oscar

March

• Silent Sundays programming for the first Sunday in March is preempted for 31 Days of Oscar
  • When a Man Loves (1927), Dir: Alan Crosland - March 10
  • The Bride's Play (1921), Dir: George W. Terwilliger - March 17
  • Wild Oranges (1924), Dir: King Vidor - March 24
  • Souls for Sale (1923), Dir: Rupert Hughes - March 31

April

• The Best Man (1928), Dir: Harry Edwards - April 7
  • Thundering Fleas (1926), Dir: Robert F. McGowan - April 7
  • Bright Eyes (1922), Dir: Malcolm St. Clair - April 7
  • Silent Sundays programming for the second Sunday in April is preempted for TCM 25th Anniversary
  • The King of Kings (1927), Dir: Cecil B. De Mille - April 21
  • Passing Fancy (1933), Dir: Yasujiro Ozu - April 28

May

• Comedy Shorts (1911-1916), various directors - May 5
  • Gribiche (1925), Dir: Jacques Feyder - May 12
  • Bobby Bumps animated shorts (1916-1921), various directors - May 19
  • Comedy shorts (all 1915), various directors - May 26

June

• The Better 'Ole (1926), Dir: Charles Reisner - June 2
  • [preempted for Doris Day tribute]
  • Tell It to the Marines (1927), Dir: George Hill - June 16
  • An Eastern Westerner (1920), Dir: Hal Roach - June 23
  • The Rag Man (1925), Dir: Edward F. Cline - June 23
  • The Thief of Bagdad (1924), Dir: Raoul Walsh - June 30

July

• A Page of Madness (1926), Dir: Teinosuke Kinugasa - July 7
  • Diary of a Lost Girl (1929), Dir: G.W. Pabst - July 14
  • I Was Born, But... (1932), Dir: Yasujiro Ozu - July 21
  • Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1922), Dir: Benjamin Christensen - July 28

August

Silent Sundays programming preempted for Summer Under the Stars

September

• The Mating Call (1928), Dir: James Cruze - September 1
  • The Circus (1928), Dir: Charles Chaplin - September 8
  • Shoulder Arms (1918), Dir: Charles Chaplin - September 8
  • A Dog's Life (1918), Dir: Charles Chaplin - September 8
  • Two Arabian Knights (1927), Dir: Lewis Milestone - September 15
  • The Racket (1928), Dir: Lewis Milestone - September 22
  • Cleopatra (1912), Dir: Charles L. Gaskill - September 29

October

• The Symbol of the Unconquered (1921), Dir: Oscar Micheaux - October 6
  • Faust (1926), Dir: F.W. Murnau - October 13
  • The Phantom Carriage (1921), Dir: Victor Sjostrom - October 20
  • The Haunted Hotel (1907), Dir: J. Stuart Blackton - October 27

November

• Master of the House (1925), Dir: Carl Theodor Dreyer - November 3
  • The Pagan (1929), Dir: W.S. Van Dyke - November 10
  • Tokyo Chorus (1931), Dir: Yasujiro Ozu - November 17
  • The Passion of Joan of Arc (1927), Dir: Carl Theodor Dreyer - November 24

December

• The Smart Set (1928), Dir: Jack Conway - December 1
  • Within Our Gates (1920), Dir: Oscar Micheaux - December 8
  • Beauty's Worth (1922), Dir: Robert G. Vignola - December 15
  • Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (1925), Dir: Fred Niblo - December 22
  • The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (1921), Dir: Rex Ingram - December 29

• Like 3

Updated through December. That's the full year, and I enjoyed compiling them for everyone's ease of reference. I won't be doing this next year, so anyone so inclined, please feel free to do so.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Peebs said:

New host for Silent Sundays: 

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1531651|0/Jacqueline-Stewart.html?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral

Have they ever had a host for Silent Sundays before?  

I'm rather ambivalent on the issue. I don't normally care too much about the hosts, but I appreciate the kind of attention and detail Eddie Muller brings to Noir Alley, and wouldn't necessarily mind that with other recurring programs. I'm happy for Jacqueline Stewart, I suppose, and she seems to have the credentials (she's a film studies professor from the University of Chicago), but from what I've read in some articles, she will also be discussing aspects of the films that are no longer politically correct or socially acceptable:

"[...]

And as an archivist, she also plans to introduce conversations around the preservation of these aged films that viewers will find educational. Some of her favorites of the period include Carl Theodore Dryer’s “The Passion of Joan of Arc,” which she describes as a extraordinary work of art. “It demonstrates the power of the sheer visual image, and is a film that is always spellbinding to me.”

She’s also a huge fan of Oscar Micheaux, calling the pioneer an “especially singular cinematic voice,” whose work will be included in her programming of “Silent Sunday Nights.” Included will be “The Symbol of the Unconquered” and “Within our Gates,” which were both audacious responses to D. W. Griffith’s incendiary “The Birth of a Nation,” which is also on the docket.

And Stewart will not shy away from the problematic dimensions of these films, with a goal being to critically examine them in their full complexity. “I think this is part of the invitation that TCM has given to me, to come and really talk about the challenging racial and gender questions that come up with some of these early films,” she said. “And even if I’m not talking them, I think my sheer presence as a black woman hosting this series will automatically raise the kind of inquiries that otherwise may not come to the surface.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/jacqueline-stewart-tcm-host-silent-sunday-nights-1202171378/

This could lead to resentment on the part of some viewers who regularly bristle at this kind of contextualization.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Have they ever had a host for Silent Sundays before?  

I wanted to say Bill Irwin hosted some sort of silent film programming a long time ago, but I can't find anything to back that up. It may have just been a between-programs short, or maybe something on AMC back in the old days.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I don't normally care too much about the hosts, but I appreciate the kind of attention and detail Eddie Muller brings to Noir Alley, and wouldn't necessarily mind that with other recurring programs.

That's a good point, Silent Sundays could use a host like Muller to give an introduction to the movie and a little history about the people involved.  (Being a professor at the University of Chicago is a pretty impressive qualification.)  It's got to be one of the least popular genres on TCM so that's promising to assign a new host.  It's got a less than ideal timeslot.  Way back when, there was many a movie that I was drawn into watching just based on an inviting intro by Robert Osborne.  

To your other point about "contextualization," yes, that could be a big turn-off to some.  I was reading the comments on TCM's FB about "The Essentials" this season.  Some love this season, some object to the "contextualization," and some just miss turning to TCM on a Saturday night to watch a fun movie.  It's a lot like the political climate in country leading up to next fall:  Contentious.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I wanted to say Bill Irwin hosted some sort of silent film programming a long time ago, but I can't find anything to back that up. It may have just been a between-programs short, or maybe something on AMC back in the old days.

Yes- he was host of Silent Sunday Nights in 1995. I would so love for him to be host again!

• Like 2