SteveQL

On Demand Titles decreased

50 posts in this topic

Few on Demand Titles.   Usually they are downloaded shortly after initial airing. I've waited years to see "The Big Shakedown (1934)" but not at 12:30 AM.   I certainly hope it will be on On Demand.  I don't want to stream it. 

Am I the only one noticing lack of On Demand titles?  

I've noticed it too.  Fewer and fewer are being put up the past month.  

I was just looking at the On Demand list I thought I saw it on there now. I was hoping to watch The Sniper a Noir Alley offering but it's not there yet.

For today, there are no movies on Watch TCM. I am PST. There is just the first film if you use the EST schedule on this site. Mark my words, Watch TCM is next on the chopping block.

the ON DEMAND selection that comes on your tv is very different from the online ON DEMAND function where I guess you watch movies thru your phone or cast them to your tv or whatever...

i'm still unsure of the whole process, but i might have to look into it since (ALMOST) NOTHING i have wanted to see has been on the TCM ON DEMAND option uNder SPECTRUM CABLE on my TV, the number of titles varies greatly, and it is still in that weird postage stamp format.

i missed the last coupla of NOIR ALLEYS thinking they'd be on ON DEMAND, but nope.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, SteveQL said:

Few on Demand Titles.   Usually they are downloaded shortly after initial airing. I've waited years to see "The Big Shakedown (1934)" but not at 12:30 AM.   I certainly hope it will be on On Demand.  I don't want to stream it. 

Am I the only one noticing lack of On Demand titles?  

RE: The Big Shakedown which aired at 12:30 AM.  Is not in On Demand as I feared.  Thus, I entered it in SEARCH and it is there for $3.99 - $9.99.  

Is there a difference between "Watch TCM" and "TCM On Demand"? 

I thought there was, with the former being a limited-selection streaming option, and the latter being an option with your TV provider's various On Demand choices. Please correct me if this is wrong.

• Confused 1

Yes, you are correct. Watch TCM has everything TCM is offering to stream at the moment.  On Demand is what your cable provider is offering to make available out of those choices.  I have Xfinity and it looks like they are offering everything Watch TCM is.

• Thanks 1

Part of the confusion is that on the TCM website, the menu says "Watch TCM" and the submenu says "Movies On Demand."

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SteveQL said:

Not on mine which is Xfinity (Comcast).  

There's usually a delay between what Watch TCM offers and when Comcast puts it up. Sometimes it's days.

I use Sling TV for TCM, most of the movies channels on Sling have on demand selections.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Web50 said:

There's usually a delay between what Watch TCM offers and when Comcast puts it up. Sometimes it's days.

Agree, the last Noir Alley film Follow Me Quietly took 3-4 days to show up.

Just watched The Big Shakedown Ricardo Cortez, Bette Davis, pretty good On Demand. BTW I counted 78 films available on demand.

RE: 

I counted 78 films available on demand.

I presume you mean streaming on Watch TCM  ---- not On Demand (FREE) downloads for TV after airing?

Thanks

58 minutes ago, SteveQL said:

RE: 

I counted 78 films available on demand.

I presume you mean streaming on Watch TCM  ---- not On Demand (FREE) downloads for TV after airing?

Thanks

Well, lucky you. NO, I mean ON Demand as I wrote. I have Spectrum, what cable carrier do have? Spectrum is showing 4 TCM films ON DEMAND right now that's all that's being shown from TCM.

I have Comcast (Xfinity).  Just a couple of new titles added (three Joel McCrea westerns). But the rest ---------- numerous Bowery Boys titles which have been there for days. It appears I must watch titles when aired (but can't always be here) or not  see at all due to may not added to On Demand.  Example again: The Big Shakedown. 

The Big Shakedown which aired at 12:30 AM.  Is not in On Demand as I feared.  Thus, I entered it in SEARCH and it is there for $3.99 - $9.99.  

Edited by SteveQL
missed pasting

4 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Well, lucky you. NO, I mean ON Demand as I wrote. I have Spectrum, what cable carrier do have? Spectrum is showing 4 TCM films ON DEMAND right now that's all that's being shown from TCM.

Spectrum also but only for internet and phone, so I get TCM over Sling TV over Spectrum Cable.  On Sling it's called On Demand.

Below is the Sling TV screen from a week days ago:

Below the "blue" Sling it shows TCM then below that the Schedule Follow Me Quietly was playing live next up was The Good Earth, after that The Male Animal.

Below the "live playing" list is the On Demand list there are 78 selections from "A" Ace Of Aces to whatever was at the other end last week, today its 2001 to The Yellow Rolls Royce

The list to the right (and left) of the TCM logo are the other channels.

vIkAcn2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to let others know  I watched On Demand about every day, as well as channel surf & in regard to TCM's section on it I never see many flix offered on it & this has been the norm for a couple yrs now?

I still don't get all the different numbers..I've got 87 on the on demand list...but today the live streams on watch tcm app haven't worked on my firestick, pc, or tablet..I hope it's a temporary thing, but tcm always seems to have technical glitches

• Sad 1

On 11/6/2018 at 11:05 AM, LawrenceA said:

Is there a difference between "Watch TCM" and "TCM On Demand"? 

I thought there was, with the former being a limited-selection streaming option, and the latter being an option with your TV provider's various On Demand choices. Please correct me if this is wrong.

I believe the confusion is at least two-fold.
WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND allows direct streams from their servers via a users ISP (so long as they also have TCM available from their TV Service Provider). Those are the TCM titles that I generally stream to my PC and will often transfer to a larger HDTV screen via an HDMI cable. Others may watch same on an IPad or some other portable device. 

Then there are the various TV Service Providers who offer a plethora of "on-demand" SD & HD channels in which TCM may also be included (along with pay-per-view options)

The latter may offer a different title selection than the former depending on whatever contract "restrictions" the TV Service Provider has with TCM (ATT/Time Warner).

Whereas the former generally offers the majority of the leased titles that TCM broadcasts for later (7 day) ON-DEMAND viewing, along with all of the "live" streams of current broadcasts from either their East or West coast feeds.

Confusion here occurs when persons post about problems without specifying whether they are using their TV Service Providers (TVSP) "on-demand" TCM channel/s, or using the direct WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND stream via their Internet Service Provider (ISP).

I have noticed that posters will express problems that may be restricted to a particular TV Service Provider (i.e. Comcast) and sometimes in a specific region, that other TCM viewers may not be experiencing.
Likewise, with the numerous devices and apps etc., some persons may experience problems that others may not have as well when streaming via an ISP.
However, by keeping things as simple as possible and streaming via my COX ISP to my PC I limit myself to just my browser and Flashplayer (no other apps). So when I am experiencing a problem it is much simpler to rule out most variables and narrow it down to TCM or not.

When a poster is not specific about how they are viewing TCM (and what devices) it becomes difficult to help troubleshoot problems.

Right now, (since Tuesday, 11/6/2018) TCM is screwing up with very "sluggish" response times, No East or West live streams, and an extreme delay in posting titles to their WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND title list. This has happened before and only "they" know when it will be "fixed."
I have no doubt that such problems may also "leak" over to their various TV Service Provider "on-demand" contracts as well.

BTW, I still keep an "antiquated" VHS and DVR with date/timer handy and use it to record an interesting title that TCM broadcasts that I may never have seen before.
That way I'm covered, if TCM does not make that particular title available for later ON-DEMAND viewing. (just a little food for thought :rolleyes:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

RE: No East or West live streams.  As of 9.00 AM PST Today Friday November 9 just blank white frames for Live East and West.  I loath using on line but apparently FREE TCM ON DEMAND titles to TV after TV airing is history.  Been same titles listed as NEW (which they are not -----two  weeks old). None are new! TCM never replies so am helpless.