Sign in to follow this  
scsu1975

Share your voting experiences here

8 posts in this topic

I drove to my local middle school this morning to vote. The parking lot was overloaded, which was a good sign. It meant lots of my fellow citizens were exercising their civic duty.

Then I get inside the school. I notice there are two lines, facing each other against the wall of the gymnasium, where we vote. Now I look for the signs which always tell me which line to get into, according to my street name. No signs. Nobody knows what line to get into. People in line aren’t even sure what line they are in. Then some guy says “L through O, center line.” There is no center line. Then a woman shouts out “I live on Canterbury Lane.” The same guy says “go to the center line.” Apparently the alphabet has changed since I went to school.

I just pick a random line. Then people start playing telephone, passing down the message about what line you are in. I am in the wrong line. I go to the other line. Meanwhile, I cheerfully blurt out “signs would help a lot!”

I get inside the gymnasium … and finally, there are the signs ... hand-written … and lower than waist high against each table, just low enough so that you can’t see them because everybody is standing in front of them. I weave in and out of my line until I can make out which table I am supposed to go to. I suggest that instead of using street names, people be separated according to which party they are voting for … just for laughs.

I get my paper ballot, go to my little booth, and pick up the marker. The marker has a plastic spoon attached to it, sort of like an extension. I have no idea who would use the spoon, unless people are bringing coffee with them. Meanwhile, I hear some woman saying “I don’t know how to do this, somebody show me how to use this ballot.”

• Haha 2

Yes busier than I've seen before but this is upstate Hudson Valley, NY, small flyspeck town.

I early-voted last week, with no hassles and very little wait time. From arrival to exit it took around 10 minutes. But even when voting at my polling place on election days in the past, I haven't run into any problems like I read about, either with wait times or disorganization of the site. Plus, it's literally a 5 minute drive from my house. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

it's literally a 5 minute drive from my house. 

ditto

I voted more than a week ago,  at the election office. But it was very crowded and hard to get a parking place.

However, once in there were no Waits and a lot of voting booths to choose from.

We have all paper ballots whether you use a voting machine or not.

The use of the voting machine is mainly for disabled voters, but it also regurgitates a paper ballot.

And a lot of senior citizens request a mail-in ballot which can still be hand-delivered to the election office by the time the polls close.

*They are doing one funny thing though in Kansas. Some non-profit organization is sending you your voter report card in the mail. It tells you whether or not you've been a good voter and voted in the last few general elections.

Some media have said it's designed to shame people into voting. But it's not against the law because the fact that you voted is on the public record.

I wonder if something similar is going on in other states?

4 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

I drove to my local middle school this morning to vote. The parking lot was overloaded, which was a good sign. It meant lots of my fellow citizens were exercising their civic duty.

Then I get inside the school. I notice there are two lines, facing each other against the wall of the gymnasium, where we vote. Now I look for the signs which always tell me which line to get into, according to my street name. No signs. Nobody knows what line to get into. People in line aren’t even sure what line they are in. Then some guy says “L through O, center line.” There is no center line. Then a woman shouts out “I live on Canterbury Lane.” The same guy says “go to the center line.” Apparently the alphabet has changed since I went to school.

I just pick a random line. Then people start playing telephone, passing down the message about what line you are in. I am in the wrong line. I go to the other line. Meanwhile, I cheerfully blurt out “signs would help a lot!”

I get inside the gymnasium … and finally, there are the signs ... hand-written … and lower than waist high against each table, just low enough so that you can’t see them because everybody is standing in front of them. I weave in and out of my line until I can make out which table I am supposed to go to. I suggest that instead of using street names, people be separated according to which party they are voting for … just for laughs.

I get my paper ballot, go to my little booth, and pick up the marker. The marker has a plastic spoon attached to it, sort of like an extension. I have no idea who would use the spoon, unless people are bringing coffee with them. Meanwhile, I hear some woman saying “I don’t know how to do this, somebody show me how to use this ballot.”

Sorry to hear about your problems, but voting is not handled well in USA.  I voted absentee (early) voting, but my wife voted this afternoon.  Didn't comment on any problems, but then thanks to the county we now have two "precincts" in a very small town.

The spoon is to make sure you don't walk out with the marker.  Lots of restaurants and businesses do the same thing with pens.  My bank even does it.  Took me a while to realize the jar with all the spoons in it was where they keep the pens.  Even the pens at teller windows have spoons on them.  Sometimes plastic flowers.  Doctors office does it also.

• Thanks 1

Some of my post was tongue-in-cheek, but essentially a true telling of what occurred. I've never had any problems in the past when I voted, so this was probably an anomaly ... I hope. The line confusion could have been remedied very easily with just one sign, mounted on an easel, when anyone walked into the school. At least there were interesting conversations while waiting in line. In any event, regardless of who is voting for whom, I was glad to see the place was packed.

I did mention the spoon incident to my fiancee (who worked as an election official last year) and she did state they do that so no one walks off with the marker. I don't recall the spoon (or any other utensil) last time I voted, so maybe somebody in my town had a brainstorm.