Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

31 Days of Oscar 2019

160 posts in this topic

For day 10:

Favorite Movie Dog: Lassie vs. Asta
First of all, I have to say I'm mighty jealous of Lassie. She had more scenic travels in the span of one movie than I have had in my entire life! But all the world loves a clown, and Asta was a grand comedian. City dog wins!

William Wyler Best Picture Winner
This is a toughie. I love both of these films. Maybe I can side step the competitiveness this way; I think
MRS. MINIVER is the best Wyler picture about the war's impact on England, and THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES is the best Wyler film about the war's impact on Americans.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sagebrush said:

For day 10:

Favorite Movie Dog: Lassie vs. Asta
First of all, I have to say I'm mighty jealous of Lassie. She had more scenic travels in the span of one movie than I have had in my entire life! But all the world loves a clown, and Asta was a grand comedian. City dog wins!

William Wyler Best Picture Winner
This is a toughie. I love both of these films. Maybe I can side step the competitiveness this way; I think
MRS. MINIVER is the best Wyler picture about the war's impact on England, and THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES is the best Wyler film about the war's impact on Americans.

Intelligent comparison of Lassie and Asta! I'd never thought about one dog being more rural than the other.

The problem with the Oscars, in my view, is they're always about competitiveness. Instead of saying "all these films are good and all the performances are worth watching."

• Like 1

February 12, 2019:

8:15 a.m. The Desert Song (1944) 

10:00 a.m. The Stranger (1946)

12:00 p.m. Watch on the Rhine (1943)

2:00 p.m. To Be or Not to Be (1942)

4:00 p.m. Night Train to Munich (1940)

6:00 p.m. Casablanca (1942)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: FAVORITE MOVIE BUTLER

Screen shot 2018-03-17 at 11.34.41 AM.png

8:00 p.m. The Remains of the Day (1993)

10:30 p.m. Merrily We Live (1938)

12:15 a.m. On the Waterfront (1954)

2:00 a.m. East of Eden (1955)

4:30 a.m. White Shadows in the South Seas (1928)

• Like 1

For day 11:

Douglas Shearer Best Sound Award
SAN FRANCISCO was one of the first classic films I ever saw. If there had been a category for best special effects in 1936, I'm sure it would have won one for it as well as the sound award.

East Coast vs. West Coast Dance Off
Another real tough one! Both of these films are amazing, in my opinion. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN is not only a great musical, but a great film. The cast is wonderful, too. What it doesn't have is Frank Sinatra, Ann Miller, Vera-Ellen  Betty Garrett  Jules Munshin and that wonderful music score. 
Very, very slight edge to ON THE TOWN.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

For day 11:

Douglas Shearer Best Sound Award
SAN FRANCISCO was one of the first classic films I ever saw. If there had been a category for best special effects in 1936, I'm sure it would have won one for it as well as the sound award.

East Coast vs. West Coast Dance Off
Another real tough one! Both of these films are amazing, in my opinion. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN is not only a great musical, but a great film. The cast is wonderful, too. What it doesn't have is Frank Sinatra, Ann Miller, Vera-Ellen  Betty Garrett  Jules Munshin and that wonderful music score. 
Very, very slight edge to ON THE TOWN.

Great comments as usual. Just curious, but where are you getting the themes for the third and fourth films each night? Only the themes for the first and second films are on the online schedule. 

6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Great comments as usual. Just curious, but where are you getting the themes for the third and fourth films each night? Only the themes for the first and second films are on the online schedule. 

I've been using the schedule that's on the homepage. It's in that highlighted box on the left under the heading "Inside TCM." (Next to it should be a 'TCM Shop' box.) It says 31 Days Of Oscar and the current date. Then, if you click the "more" icon, the full schedule will show up with the themed double features in bold. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

I've been using the schedule that's on the homepage. It's in that highlighted box on the left under the heading "Inside TCM." (Next to it should be a 'TCM Shop' box.) It says 31 Days Of Oscar and the current date. Then, if you click the "more" icon, the full schedule will show up with the themed double features in bold. 

Thanks. Much appreciated!

I liked your comment about the category for sound. Do you think awards for sound were more about special effects in the 1930s? I see there wasn't actually a category for special effects until 1937 or 1938.

I think you're correct; I think they probably looked at it as a combined category. WINGS won a "Best Engineering Effects" award, but it wasn't a competitive category. In 1933, David O. Selznick championed for KING KONG to get an award for it's effects, but it still wasn't a category. It seems 1939 was the first year of the "Best Special Effects" competitive category, but in some years they still chose to just give an award to a specific film instead of having a list a nominees (which seems strange.) They even went backward in the 1970's, choosing to honor a specific film under the title "Special Achievement Award". 1977 was the first year of our current visual effects category, although until 1995 they still chose the single film winner platform in random years. It just goes to show how the academy views the technical awards, doesn't it? 😕 jakeem has an article linked on the Awards Season thread which states that some technical awards and short films will be given out during commercial breaks this year. Boo, Academy!

• Thanks 1

February 13, 2019:

6:00 a.m. The Racket (1928)

7:30 a.m. Two Arabian Knights (1927)

9:15 a.m. A Woman of Affairs (1928)

11:15 a.m. Our Dancing Daughters (1928)

1:00 p.m. The Divine Lady (1929)

3:00 p.m. Sadie Thompson (1928)

4:45 p.m. The Crowd (1928)

6:00 p.m. Speedy (1928)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: DAVID LEAN

8:00 p.m. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

12:00 a.m. The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

3:00 a.m. Under Western Stars (1938)

4:15 a.m. The Cowboy and the Lady (1938)

• Like 1

How is it possible THE CROWD wasn't nominated for best picture, best actor for James Murray and best actress for Eleanor Boardman for 1928? Such a great film...

Anyway, for day 12:

Favorite Movie Butler
Anthony Hopkins gives a wonderful performance as Mr. Stevens in THE REMAINS OF THE DAY. I want something to change for this career ultra stiff-upper lipped butler by the end of the film, but nothing really does. It's a Merchant/Ivory film, though, and they like to tell a story where the ending isn't much different from the beginning.
Alan Mowbray as Grosvenor in MERRILY WE LIVE is just as reserved but not at all repressed. I like the comic butler better. I think a better double bill would have been MY MAN GODFREY and MERRILY WE LIVE.

Best Supporting Actress Debut Win

It really says something about Elia Kazan that he directed both of these rookie film actresses to Oscar wins.

Julie Harris was great as Abra in EAST OF EDEN, but seems a little too old for the part for my taste.

Eva Marie Saint was perfect as Edie, in my opinion ( fun fact: Kazan initially offered the role to Grace Kelly, but she turned it down to make REAR WINDOW.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

How is it possible THE CROWD wasn't nominated for best picture, best actor for James Murray and best actress for Eleanor Boardman for 1928? Such a great film...

Anyway, for day 12:

Favorite Movie Butler
Anthony Hopkins gives a wonderful performance as Mr. Stevens in THE REMAINS OF THE DAY. I want something to change for this career ultra stiff-upper lipped butler by the end of the film, but nothing really does. It's a Merchant/Ivory film, though, and they like to tell a story where the ending isn't much different from the beginning.
Alan Mowbray as Grosvenor in MERRILY WE LIVE is just as reserved but not at all repressed. I like the comic butler better. I think a better double bill would have been MY MAN GODFREY and MERRILY WE LIVE.

I agree. THE REMAINS OF THE DAY could've been used for an Oscar double feature with HOWARDS END (Merchant-Ivory theme). MERRILY WE LIVE doesn't really go with it, and as you say something like MY MAN GODFREY which also has a comic butler, would have worked better.

• Like 1

February 14, 2019:

6:00 a.m. Love Affair (1939)

7:45 a.m. Random Harvest (1942)

10:00 a.m. Waterloo Bridge (1940)

12:00 p.m. Dark Victory (1939)

1:45 p.m. Splendor in the Grass (1961)

4:00 p.m. All This and Heaven Too (1940)

6:00 p.m. Brief Encounter (1945)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: FAVORITE MOVIE WEDDING

8:00 p.m. The Philadelphia Story (1940)

10:00 p.m. Father of the Bride (1950)

12:00 a.m. Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)

2:00 a.m. Dodsworth (1936)

4:00 a.m. The Window (1949)

5:30 a.m. The Green Years (1946)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For day 13:

David Lean Best Picture Win
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA has such great dialogue for an action packed film. When there's no action, there's great build-up to an upcoming action scene. This makes this 3+ hr film seem not nearly as long. I also love the occasional comic one-liners within the film.
For this reason I like it better than THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI, which was a long build-up to it's crescendo ( a wonderful one, at that. )

Favorite Singing Cowboy
Whether it be a comedy or drama, Gary Cooper was just always perfectly cast when playing a cowboy. Add the Harmonica, then we have screen gold!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

February 15, 2019:

8:00 a.m. The Little Fugitive (1953)

9:30 a.m. Little Women (1933)

11:30 a.m. Jungle Book (1942)

12:00 p.m. Dark Victory (1939)

1:30 p.m. The Champ (1931)

3:15 p.m. Strike Up the Band (1940)

5:30 p.m. The Bad Seed (1956)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: BEST SURVIVAL AT SEA

8:00 p.m. Titanic (1953)

10:00 p.m. Lifeboat (1944)

12:00 a.m. Johnny Belinda (1948)

2:00 a.m. The Miracle Worker (1962)

4:00 a.m. The Naked Spur (1953)

• Like 1

For day 14:

Favorite Movie Wedding
Katherine Hepburn's performance as Tracy "interviewing" Mike and Liz in her drawing room toward the beginning of THE PHILADELPHIA STORY is one of my favorite scenes from any film. I also love young Virginia Weidler as Dinah, not afraid to mingle amongst the adults and jesting that she's on to them.
Spencer Tracy's anxiety dream about Kay and Buckley's wedding is in itself the funniest scene in FATHER OF THE BRIDE (and one of Tracy's funniest films.) This is definitely my favorite movie wedding!

Favorite Movie Divorce
Oh DODSWORTH, how I love thee! I absolutely adore this film. Everyone is perfectly cast. But, like the comparison between THE LOST WEEKEND and THE DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES for best battle with the bottle, KRAMER VS KRAMER is more gripping because there is a child involved.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sagebrush said:

For day 14:

Favorite Movie Wedding
Katherine Hepburn's performance as Tracy "interviewing" Mike and Liz in her drawing room toward the beginning of THE PHILADELPHIA STORY is one of my favorite scenes from any film. I also love young Virginia Weidler as Dinah, not afraid to mingle amongst the adults and jesting that she's on to them.
Spencer Tracy's anxiety dream about Kay and Buckley's wedding is in itself the funniest scene in FATHER OF THE BRIDE (and one of Tracy's funniest films.) This is definitely my favorite movie wedding!

Favorite Movie Divorce
Oh DODSWORTH, how I love thee! I absolutely adore this film. Everyone is perfectly cast. But, like the comparison between THE LOST WEEKEND and THE DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES for best battle with the bottle, KRAMER VS KRAMER is more gripping because there is a child involved.

Agree about the surreal dream scene in FATHER OF THE BRIDE. Best part of that movie.

I feel DODSWORTH is overrated, but it certainly has its charms. Maria Ouspenskaya is great in a showy supporting role.

• Like 1

February 16, 2019:

6:00 a.m. Cimarron (1931)

8:15 a.m. Way Out West (1937)

9:30 a.m. The Westerner (1940)

11:30 a.m. The Ox-Bow Incident (1943)

1:00 p.m. How the West Was Won (1962)

4:00 p.m. Broken Arrow (1950)

5:45 p.m. Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: BEST ROAD COMEDY

8:00 p.m. It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963)

11:00 p.m. The Great Race (1965)

2:00 a.m. Atlantic City (1980)

4:00 a.m. Au Revoir Les Enfants (1987)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For day 15:

Best Survival at Sea
I really enjoyed LIFEBOAT when I saw it on the big screen years ago. On TV it loses some of it's luster for me.
This version of TITANIC I like much better than the 1998 blockbuster version. I like the story of the central family in the film, and the film ends with the passengers attempting to escape the ship. Nothing more is necessary, as most people already know how this event ended.

Favorite Non-Speaking Role
Jane Wyman was really convincing in JOHNNY BELINDA, and I wish Agnes Moorehead would have won a best supporting actress for her Aggie portrayal. At age 16, Patty Duke by far had the more difficult role (and double the disability to portray) in THE MIRACLE WORKER. Also, this is my favorite performance of Anne Bancroft's.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, sagebrush said:

For day 15:

Best Survival at Sea
I really enjoyed LIFEBOAT when I saw it on the big screen years ago. On TV it loses some of it's luster for me.
This version of TITANIC I like much better than the 1998 blockbuster version. I like the story of the central family in the film, and the film ends with the passengers attempting to escape the ship. Nothing more is necessary, as most people already know how this event ended.

Favorite Non-Speaking Role
Jane Wyman was really convincing in JOHNNY BELINDA, and I wish Agnes Moorehead would have won a best supporting actress for her Aggie portrayal. At age 16, Patty Duke by far had the more difficult role (and double the disability to portray) in THE MIRACLE WORKER. Also, this is my favorite performance of Anne Bancroft's.

I agree that the 1953 version is better than the 1997 mega-hit. The later film seems drawn out, too much of a special effects extravaganza and the framing device with 100 year old Rose is silly and belabored. I prefer the 1958 British version best, A NIGHT TO REMEMBER.

Regarding the other two films, yes Patty Duke had the tougher assignment as young Helen Keller in THE MIRACLE WORKER. But she also had plenty of practice, having played those scenes over and over on stage before they went in front of the camera. Jane Wyman gives a superb and moving portrayal of a modern day Virgin Mary in JOHNNY BELINDA.

• Like 1

February 17, 2019:

6:00 a.m. Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)

8:00 a.m. Top Hat (1935)

10:00 a.m. Annie Get Your Gun (1950)

12:00 p.m. Bye Bye Birdie (1963)

2:00 p.m. Oliver! (1968)

5:00 p.m. South Pacific (1958)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: FAVORITE MOVIE NUN

8:00 p.m. The Nun's Story (1959)

10:45 p.m. Agnes of God (1985)

12:45 a.m. A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)

3:00 a.m. Network (1976)

5:15 a.m. Julius Caesar (1953)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For day 16:

Best Road Comedy
As many times as I may try, I just can't keep interest in IAMMMMW. I don't know why; I like all the actors in it. I think the opening scene is the funniest part of the film.
THE GREAT RACE is much funnier to me, and better written (and who doesn't love that pie throwing scene?)

Louis Malle Nominated Film: English vs. French
ATLANTIC CITY is a good film, but AU REVOIR LES ENFANTS is a great film. Since the film is autobiographical, it tends to linger in my memory.The classroom scene where Julien inadvertently exposes Jean to the Gestapo is heartbreaking. I hope TCM will show this one on an Imports night; I should like to watch it again.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, sagebrush said:

For day 16:

Best Road Comedy
As many times as I may try, I just can't keep interest in IAMMMMW. I don't know why; I like all the actors in it. I think the opening scene is the funniest part of the film.
THE GREAT RACE is much funnier to me, and better written (and who doesn't love that pie throwing scene?)

Louis Malle Nominated Film: English vs. French
ATLANTIC CITY is a good film, but AU REVOIR LES ENFANTS is a great film. Since the film is autobiographical, it tends to linger in my memory.The classroom scene where Julien inadvertently exposes Jean to the Gestapo is heartbreaking. I hope TCM will show this one on an Imports night; I should like to watch it again.

I don't care for either one of those road comedies. I feel they're both too long, trying too hard to be epic. Bloated budgets, over-the-top acting. None of the characters are very likable. Though I will admit to enjoying the pie throwing scene in THE GREAT RACE (1965).

ATLANTIC CITY (1980) is my favorite late-career Burt Lancaster film. It's interesting to see Malle attempt an English language picture. AU REVOIR LES ENFANTS (1987) is truly a masterpiece.

• Like 1

February 18, 2019:

7:30 a.m. Quo Vadis (1951)

10:45 a.m. Khartoum (1966)

1:15 p.m. 55 Days at Peking (1963)

4:00 p.m. Ben-Hur (1959)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: BEST PICTURE NOMINEE NON-WINNER 1952

8:00 p.m. High Noon (1952)

9:45 p.m. The Quiet Man (1952)

12:15 a.m. A Free Soul (1931)

2:00 a.m. None but the Lonely Heart (1944)

4:00 a.m. I Remember Mama (1948)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For day 17:

Favorite Movie Nun
These two films were incomparable for me, as I really don't like AGNES OF GOD at all.
THE NUN'S STORY by far is a better film, I feel. Now, if it had been double-billed with BLACK NARCISSUS, I would have had a much harder time choosing one over the other.

Favorite Movie with Three Acting Winners
I don't know quite how to answer this one except to say I like the film NETWORK better than A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE, but I like the performances of the actors better in STREETCAR than in NETWORK.

3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

For day 17:

Favorite Movie Nun
These two films were incomparable for me, as I really don't like AGNES OF GOD at all.
THE NUN'S STORY by far is a better film, I feel. Now, if it had been double-billed with BLACK NARCISSUS, I would have had a much harder time choosing one over the other.

Favorite Movie with Three Acting Winners
I don't know quite how to answer this one except to say I like the film NETWORK better than A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE, but I like the performances of the actors better in STREETCAR than in NETWORK.

Like what you said about the acting in STREETCAR. Sums it up well.

I truly despise THE NUN'S STORY. I find it tedious, overlong, punctuated with all sorts of phony dramatic pauses. Also, I don't buy Hepburn playing a religious character. I understand this was a chance to show people she could "act" in a more serious role, but she's better in rom coms, not this contrived tosh.

BLACK NARCISSUS is by far a better film in this vein. I like AGNES OF GOD too. I see it as a feminist statement about how women are treated in a church that undervalues them.

• Like 1