Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

31 Days of Oscar 2019

160 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I like AGNES OF GOD too. I see it as a feminist statement about how women are treated in a church that undervalues them.

I never thought of it that way. I agree, they are undervalued. I met many nuns when I was growing up, and they were such patient and understanding ladies( and they didn't shock easily!)

• Like 1

Another reason I don't like THE NUN'S STORY is because they've cut out key parts of the real-life nun's story. She actually left the church and took up with another woman. Her lesbianism is not referenced in the film, because of the production code. So it feels false...they don't include one of the main reasons she broke away from the Catholic Church. It's not honestly done. 

• Like 1

February 19, 2019:

6:30 a.m. Edward My Son (1949)

8:45 a.m. You Can't Take It With You (1938)

11:00 a.m. The Little Foxes (1941)

1:00 p.m. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)

3:30 p.m. Life with Father (1947)

5:45 p.m. A River Runs Through It (1992)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: SPENCER TRACY

Screen shot 2018-03-17 at 11.34.41 AM.png

8:00 p.m. Captains Courageous (1937)

10:15 p.m. Boys Town (1938)

12:00 a.m. Blow-Up (1966)

2:15 a.m. Three Colors: Red (1994)

4:00 a.m. Philadelphia (1993)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For day 18:

Best Picture Nominee Non-Winner: 1952

Fluff vs man-against-the-world story;it doesn't seem quite fair to compare the two!
THE QUIET MAN is lively and simple, it's music fun, it's locale and cinematography gorgeous and lush, and it's characters all basically good (if hot tempered.)
HIGH NOON has multiple stories within it's plot, contains music with ominous lyrics, stays in one general area, is dirty and dry, and full of characters with something to hide.
Hmm- in their own way, one is just as entertaining as the other.

Sibling Rivalry: Brother & Sister Oscar Winners
Both great performances here. I'm inclined to think of other character actresses who could have played the part of Ma in NONE BUT THE LONELY HEART ( Margaret Wycherly, Gladys Cooper, Beulah Bondi), but I'm kind of stumped to think of another actor who might have been good as Barrymore in the role of attorney Stephan in A FREE SOUL (maybe the other Barrymore ?😉)

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

For day 18:

Best Picture Nominee Non-Winner: 1952

Fluff vs man-against-the-world story;it doesn't seem quite fair to compare the two!
THE QUIET MAN is lively and simple, it's music fun, it's locale and cinematography gorgeous and lush, and it's characters all basically good (if hot tempered.)
HIGH NOON has multiple stories within it's plot, contains music with ominous lyrics, stays in one general area, is dirty and dry, and full of characters with something to hide.
Hmm- in their own way, one is just as entertaining as the other.

Sibling Rivalry: Brother & Sister Oscar Winners
Both great performances here. I'm inclined to think of other character actresses who could have played the part of Ma in NONE BUT THE LONELY HEART ( Margaret Wycherly, Gladys Cooper, Beulah Bondi), but I'm kind of stumped to think of another actor who might have been good as Barrymore in the role of attorney Stephan in A FREE SOUL (maybe the other Barrymore ?)

Well A FREE SOUL was remade by MGM over twenty years later as THE GIRL WHO HAD EVERYTHING (1953). And that time William Powell was cast as the attorney. Though he feels a little miscast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_Who_Had_Everything

• Like 1

Just now, TopBilled said:

Well A FREE SOUL was remade by MGM over twenty years later as THE GIRL WHO HAD EVERYTHING (1953). And that time William Powell was cast as the attorney. Though he feels a little miscast.

I didn't know that! I think another actor who might have been good was Warren William, but he was too young in 1931. Maybe Thomas Mitchell, too.

• Like 1

February 20, 2019:

6:15 a.m. Fury (1936)

8:00 a.m. Trial (1955)

10:00 a.m. Libel (1959)

12:00 p.m. Inherit the Wind (1960)

2:15 p.m. Twilight of Honor (1963)

4:15 p.m. Madeleine (1950)

6:15 p.m. 12 Angry Men (1957)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: WHO PLAYED IT BETTER-- HENRY VIII

8:00 p.m. The Private Life of Henry VIII (1933)

10:00 p.m. A Man for All Seasons (1966)

12:15 a.m. The High and the Mighty (1954)

3:00 a.m. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)

5:00 a.m. Algiers (1938)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For day 19:

Favorite Best Actor Win: Spencer Tracy
Seeing these two films back to back really shows Tracy's range. I think his performance as Manuel in CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS is more fun to watch, and the relationship between he and Freddie Bartholomew seems very genuine.

Creepiest Voyeurism
I dropped the ball on this one! I had never seen RED before. Usually, before I watch a foreign language film, I look up the title on Wiki or IMDb and read the film's synopsis. I don't care if I prematurely know the ending; it saves me a lot of missed action that normally happens when I have to spend the entire duration of the film reading the subtitles. I didn't do that this time, and there I was trying to read the dialogue on my 24" TV in the middle of the night! 🔨I hope TCM will show this one again now that I have an idea of what it's plot is.
I do enjoy BLOW-UP when the film is focusing on the mysterious photograph discovery and not on the counter culture scenes.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, sagebrush said:

For day 19:

Favorite Best Actor Win: Spencer Tracy
Seeing these two films back to back really shows Tracy's range. I think his performance as Manuel in CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS is more fun to watch, and the relationship between he and Freddie Bartholomew seems very genuine.

Creepiest Voyeurism
I dropped the ball on this one! I had never seen RED before. Usually, before I watch a foreign language film, I look up the title on Wiki or IMDb and read the film's synopsis. I don't care if I prematurely know the ending; it saves me a lot of missed action that normally happens when I have to spend the entire duration of the film reading the subtitles. I didn't do that this time, and there I was trying to read the dialogue on my 24" TV in the middle of the night! 🔨I hope TCM will show this one again now that I have an idea of what it's plot is.
I do enjoy BLOW-UP when the film is focusing on the mysterious photograph discovery and not on the counter culture scenes.

Have you seen the other films in the Three Colors trilogy?

February 21, 2019:

7:00 a.m. Lady of the Tropics (1939)

9:00 a.m. Miss Sadie Thompson (1953)

11:00 a.m. Sayonara (1957)

1:30 p.m. The Rains Came (1939)

3:15 p.m. The Inn of the Sixth Happiness (1958)

6:00 p.m. Mogambo (1953)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: FAVORITE FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM WINNER-- FELLINI

8:00 p.m. 8 1/2 (1963)

10:30 p.m. La Strada (1954)

12:30 a.m. Cool Hand Luke (1967)

3:00 a.m. Midnight Express (1978)

5:30 a.m. The Day of the Dolphin (1973)

• Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 7:31 AM, TopBilled said:

February 1, 2019:

6:00 a.m. Alice Adams (1935) 

8:00 a.m. Little Women (1949)

10:15 a.m. Billy Budd (1962)

12:30 p.m. The Old Man and the Sea (1958)

2:00 p.m. Show Boat (1951)

4:00 p.m. The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter (1968)

6:15 p.m. Tom Sawyer (1973)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: JANET GAYNOR

8:00 p.m. Sunrise (1927)

10:00 p.m. Street Angel (1928)

12:00 a.m. The French Connection (1971)

2:00 a.m. Taxi Driver (1976)

4:15 a.m. Night Must Fall (1937)

I like that most of the films they picked they set them up in order of their theme. 

10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Have you seen the other films in the Three Colors trilogy?

No, I haven't. I didn't even know RED was part of a trilogy until the next morning. As I said, I really dropped the ball. I missed a golden opportunity and it may not air again for a long time (or ever.😕)

• Like 1

For day 20:

Who Played it Better: Henry VIII
My vote goes to Charles Laughton. He played King Henry VIII with a little humor and a little ham and the film is so fluid because of it. His wedding night scene with Elsa Lanchester as Anne of Cleves is hilarious.
No disrespect intended toward Robert Shaw, but I found him a little dull, even though he may have been closer to what the real Henry was like.

1954 Best Score Winners: Dramatic vs. Musical
SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS- it's pretty, it's fun, it has marvelous singing, it has marvelous dancing...I vote for this one!
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, sagebrush said:

For day 20:

Who Played it Better: Henry VIII
My vote goes to Charles Laughton. He played King Henry VIII with a little humor and a little ham and the film is so fluid because of it. His wedding night scene with Elsa Lanchester as Anne of Cleves is hilarious.
No disrespect intended toward Robert Shaw, but I found him a little dull, even though he may have been closer to what the real Henry was like.

1954 Best Score Winners: Dramatic vs. Musical
SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS- it's pretty, it's fun, it has marvelous singing, it has marvelous dancing...I vote for this one!

I'm with you on Laughton's performance. He and Lanchester are always brilliant together.

• Like 1

February 22, 2019:

7:30 a.m. Mighty Joe Young (1949)

9:30 a.m. Umberto D. (1952)

11:15 a.m. Sounder (1972)

1:15 p.m. Born Free (1965)

3:15 p.m. National Velvet (1944)

5:30 p.m. The Yearling (1946)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: BEST MOVIE MUTINY

8:00 p.m. Mutiny on the Bounty (1962)

11:15 p.m. The Caine Mutiny (1954)

1:30 a.m. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)

4:00 a.m. The Taming of the Shrew (1967)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For day 21:

Favorite Foreign Language Film Winner: Fellini
8 1/2 really is a little bit of everything, isn't it? I certainly hope all that action wasn't going on in Fellini's brain all the time- it's almost dizzying! I like the funny parts of this film best.
LA STRADA is more my speed. Gelsomina is as sweet and simple as Zampano is brutish and selfish. Each time I've watched this film, I've wanted a happy ending for her. This time a thought came into my mind that maybe by dying, she finally escaped her dismal life situation ( and Zampano finally gained a conscience.)

Favorite Movie Prisoner
I don't really mind prison films, but I don't care much for torture scenes. MIDNIGHT EXPRESS in particular has too much for my taste. COOL HAND LUKE of course also has torture, but it is mixed in with some slightly light-hearted scenes to break it up. I never understood though, why do Luke and Dragline stop their escape where they do? Why don't they drive until they have left the state, making it harder to be caught? Did I miss something as to why they stopped where they did?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

For day 21:

Favorite Foreign Language Film Winner: Fellini
8 1/2 really is a little bit of everything, isn't it? I certainly hope all that action wasn't going on in Fellini's brain all the time- it's almost dizzying! I like the funny parts of this film best.
LA STRADA is more my speed. Gelsomina is as sweet and simple as Zampano is brutish and selfish. Each time I've watched this film, I've wanted a happy ending for her. This time a thought came into my mind that maybe by dying, she finally escaped her dismal life situation ( and Zampano finally gained a conscience.)

Favorite Movie Prisoner
I don't really mind prison films, but I don't care much for torture scenes. MIDNIGHT EXPRESS in particular has too much for my taste. COOL HAND LUKE of course also has torture, but it is mixed in with some slightly light-hearted scenes to break it up. I never understood though, why do Luke and Dragline stop their escape where they do? Why don't they drive until they have left the state, making it harder to be caught? Did I miss something as to why they stopped where they did?

LA STRADA is a great film. It's interesting to see Anthony Quinn and Richard Basehart in it...they would work together again in PORTRAIT IN BLACK, a few years later.

February 23, 2019:

6:15 a.m. The Prisoner of Zenda (1937)

8:00 a.m. Robinson Crusoe (1954)

9:30 a.m. Captain Blood (1935)

11:45 a.m. The Black Swan (1942)

1:30 p.m. The Three Musketeers (1948)

3:45 p.m. Knights of the Round Table (1953)

6:00 p.m. Ivanhoe (1952)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: FAVORITE VERSION-- A STAR IS BORN

8:00 p.m. A Star Is Born (1937)

10:00 p.m. A Star Is Born (1954)

1:15 a.m. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)

3:30 a.m. Key Largo (1948)

5:30 a.m. 42nd Street (1933)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For day 22:

Best Movie Mutiny
If this had been the 1935 MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY, it would be a harder comparison for me. I just don't care for the 1962 version, so I'll go with THE CAINE MUTINY.

Favorite Liz and Richard Face Off
I think WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF is the better film of the two. It is kind of exhausting by the end, though. I read once that Bette Davis and James Mason were the original choices. I wonder how different that would have turned out. 
I love the scenery, costumes and humor of THE TAMING OF THE SHREW. I always like Elizabeth Taylor better in the films in which her exquisite beauty is played up instead of down.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, sagebrush said:

For day 22:

Best Movie Mutiny
If this had been the 1935 MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY, it would be a harder comparison for me. I just don't care for the 1962 version, so I'll go with THE CAINE MUTINY.

Favorite Liz and Richard Face Off
I think WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF is the better film of the two. It is kind of exhausting by the end, though. I read once that Bette Davis and James Mason were the original choices. I wonder how different that would have turned out. 
I love the scenery, costumes and humor of THE TAMING OF THE SHREW. I always like Elizabeth Taylor better in the films in which her exquisite beauty is played up instead of down.

Agree with most of your comments here. The Brando version of MUTINY is a lead balloon.

VIRGINIA WOOLF is my favorite of the Taylor-Burton collaborations, but I also like THE COMEDIANS which was not shown.

• Like 1

February 24, 2019:

7:00 a.m. Easter Parade (1948)

9:00 a.m. Lili (1953)

10:30 a.m. A Hard Day's Night (1964)

12:15 p.m. High Society (1956)

2:15 p.m. The Music Man (1962)

5:00 p.m. 1776 (1972)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: BEST PICTURE WINNER WITH NO OTHER WINS

8:00 p.m. The Broadway Melody (1929)

10:00 p.m. Grand Hotel (1932)

12:00 a.m. King Solomon's Mines (1950)

2:00 a.m. Eskimo (1933)

4:00 a.m. Holiday (1938)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For day 23:

Favorite Version: A Star is Born
I love Judy Garland. I love James Mason. I love Jack Carson. I love George Cukor. I love musicals. So why don't I love the 1954 version of A STAR IS BORN? I don't know why. It just seems too drawn out to me.
The 1937 version is so tidy, so to the point, more Hollywood-ish. Janet Gaynor just seems a little better cast as Vicki Lester, in my opinion.

1948 Winning Performance Directed by John Huston
Both films won for their Best Supporting Actor/Actress category, and deservedly so.
I still can't believe Edward G. Robinson wasn't even nominated for his performance as Johnny Rocco in KEY LARGO.
I am glad Walter Huston won, though.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/24/2019 at 2:17 PM, sagebrush said:

For day 23:

Favorite Version: A Star is Born
I love Judy Garland. I love James Mason. I love Jack Carson. I love George Cukor. I love musicals. So why don't I love the 1954 version of A STAR IS BORN? I don't know why. It just seems too drawn out to me.
The 1937 version is so tidy, so to the point, more Hollywood-ish. Janet Gaynor just seems a little better cast as Vicki Lester, in my opinion.

1948 Winning Performance Directed by John Huston
Both films won for their Best Supporting Actor/Actress category, and deservedly so.
I still can't believe Edward G. Robinson wasn't even nominated for his performance as Johnny Rocco in KEY LARGO.
I am glad Walter Huston won, though.

I tend to agree about the 1954 version of A STAR IS BORN. It's bloated, overdone in every way imaginable. Trying too hard to be epic. Also it led to the idea that the story, as evidenced in subsequent remakes, should be more music oriented, which I don't think is needed. It works best as a simple dramatic story. 

I also like Robinson's performance in KEY LARGO. I think he was not nominated for the same reason James Cagney was not nominated a year later for WHITE HEAT. They did not want to recognize performances for evil characters, fearing that it would be seen as celebrating the character and what the character represented, instead of celebrating the performance and the actor's technical skill. 

• Like 1

February 25, 2019:

6:00 a.m. The Awful Truth (1937)

8:00 a.m. Designing Woman (1957)

10:00 a.m. It Happened One Night (1934)

12:00 p.m. Libeled Lady (1936)

2:00 p.m. The Tender Trap (1955)

4:00 p.m. The Goodbye Girl (1977)

6:00 p.m. Woman of the Year (1942)

31 DAYS OF OSCAR: FAVORITE GANGSTER

8:00 p.m. The Public Enemy (1931)

9:45 p.m. Little Caesar (1930)

11:15 p.m. Citizen Kane (1941)

1:30 a.m. Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941)

3:15 a.m. Glory (1989)

5:30 a.m. Sergeant York (1941)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I also like Robinson's performance in KEY LARGO. I think he was not nominated for the same reason James Cagney was not nominated a year later for WHITE HEAT. They did not want to recognize performances for evil characters, fearing that it would be seen as celebrating the character and what the character represented, instead of celebrating the performance and the actor's technical skill. 

That possible reason hadn't occurred to me. I'm sure you're correct about it.